Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bangladesh: 26,000 or 3 million dead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bangladesh: 26,000 or 3 million dead?
    Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 08:56
I believe that every person should have respect for the dead. Denial of atrocities under the cover of national jingoism is done by cowards who cannot face history. History gives us an oppurtunity to learn from our mistakes. This thread is not started by me just because I am Indian...
But becuase we all can learn from history. (I am also shamed by atrocities of Indian Army in Kashmir...but they are aberrations and are not pre-planned)

Coming back to Bangladesh:
This is what Musharaff said at Dhaka during his visit:

"Your brothers and sisters in Pakistan share the pain of the events of 1971. The excesses during that unfortunate period are regrettable. Let us bury the past in a spirit of magnanimity. Let not the light of the future be dimmed. Let us move forward together. I am confident that with our joint resolve Pakistan-Bangladesh friendship will flourish in the years to come."
http://www.flonnet.com/fl1917/19170630.htm

m
y question is if President can agree to excesses then why cant ordinary Pakistanis.

N
ow it all started with the floods in 1970 in East Pak and rise of awami League and the call by Awami League for more autonomy.
And how did Yahya Khan react..."Kill three million of them and the rest will eat out of our hands." j

For more on the atrocities do read: http://www.gendercide.org/case_bangladesh.html

TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 09:11

I agree there were excesses. In all wars, excesses occur in fact. But not systematic abuses and torture.

PS. How does Robert Payne know what Yahya Khan said? He sold a lot of books on the Bangladesh war that much is certain - not the most neutral or official of sources.

The site you link to is not very well researched on the issue of the Bangladesh War. 

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 09:27

As an example, it says on your site (which contain no neutral or official sources), that

"How many died?

The number of dead in Bangladesh in 1971 was almost certainly well into seven figures."

http://www.gendercide.org/case_bangladesh.html 

Yet, all the Bengali experts on the war now are saying that 300,000 were killed, not millions/7 figures - apparently it was incorrectly translated for over 30 years.

"During the seminar, Bangladeshi scholars acknowledged that their official figure of more than 3 million killed during and after the military action was not authentic.

They said that the original figure was close to 300,000, which was wrongly translated from Bengali into English as three million.

Shamsher M. Chowdhury, the Bangladesh ambassador in Washington who was commissioned in the Pakistan Army in 1969 but had joined his countrys war of liberation in 1971, acknowledged that Bangladesh alone cannot correct this mistake."

http://www.dawn.com/2005/07/07/nat3.htm 

So your gendercide link contains a lot of incorrect facts.

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 18:40

Three million is really an exaggerated number...

The world community wouldn't have left silent if such a thing of that much scale.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 01:24
Too bad we dont have any bangladeshis to comment on this post...
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 05:27

THE SUN ROSE FROM THE EAST
WEST MADE IT SET ..............................Nice one Kapikulu.

BTW do you know how many soldiers surrendered at the end of '71 Bangladesh war.

PS: The world community was largely divided into 2 rival camps at that time.US threatened India with a nuclear attack.

Edited by Jhangora
Jai Badri Vishal
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 05:45
Originally posted by Jhangora

THE SUN ROSE FROM THE EAST
WEST MADE IT SET ..............................Nice one Kapikulu.

BTW do you know how many soldiers surrendered at the end of '71 Bangladesh war.

PS: The world community was largely divided into 2 rival camps at that time.US threatened India with a nuclear attack.

90k Pakistanis surrendered under Gen Niazi...
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 18:35
It was a silly idea to have one country split either side of India anyway.
Mameluke View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mameluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 23:13

I just spoke with a Bangladeshi this evening about all this who was alive at that time. He confirms the 3 million figure. Even allowing for exaggeration, I believe the figure was pretty high. It's high time the murderers were brought to justice and I was pleasantly surprised to hear some Pakistani friends sadly admit the truth of the genocide. I've heard too many of them just dismiss everything as Indian or Mukti Bahini propaganda in the past.

Mameluke

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:31
Originally posted by Mameluke

I just spoke with a Bangladeshi this evening about all this who was alive at that time. He confirms the 3 million figure. Even allowing for exaggeration, I believe the figure was pretty high. It's high time the murderers were brought to justice and I was pleasantly surprised to hear some Pakistani friends sadly admit the truth of the genocide. I've heard too many of them just dismiss everything as Indian or Mukti Bahini propaganda in the past.

Mameluke

Did he count up the 3 million himself?

General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:39

The only independent report done so far into the 1971 war is shown below.

http://www.epw.org.in/showArticles.php?root=2005&leaf=10 &filename=9223&filetype=html  

It clearly rejects the nonsensical figure of 3 million dead, which is a mathematical impossibility. It also clearly states the secondaries associated with the war are also not true. Even Archer Blood in his memoirs from 2002, says that there was no genocide of Bengali Muslims (Archer Blood was the primary advocate of genocide in Bangladesh in 1971).

This is an official report given at a US state department conference, in front of Bangladeshi scholars of the war.

The conference was called in the light of declassified documents being released. The timetable was so;

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/46059.htm 

Section 3: South Asia in Crisis. A list of multi national names, and where Professor Bose presented the results of her study.

As quoted above, the Bangladeshi Ambassador to Washington DC is on record as saying the figure of 3 million is false

"Shamsher M. Chowdhury, the Bangladesh ambassador in Washington who was commissioned in the Pakistan Army in 1969 but had joined his countrys war of liberation in 1971, acknowledged that Bangladesh alone cannot correct this mistake."

http://www.dawn.com/2005/07/07/nat3.htm 

Simple Math will tell you it's not possible to kill 3 million in the space of 5 months.

spiderweb14 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote spiderweb14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 18:23
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 18:25
oh my god that is just wrong
Jhuntadu View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Jhuntadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 18:30

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

oh my god that is just wrong

I agree.I request moderators to remove the Pic as it has nothing to do with the Humans Killed in Bangladesh War.Some mentally retarded guy is poking fun at human beings who are just like him.

HAPPY ALL FOOL'S DAY
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 15:10

It seems that recently an Islamic-Bangladesh has joined its 'sister' country Pakistan (also Islamic) in committing atrocities against minorities eg. Gendercide.  Hindu males in particular are sought out and killed on the spot. As a matter of course, the hindu males are checked for the obligated circumcision, law amongst muslims. If circumcised, they might live but otherwise....sure death!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/south_asia/1645499.stm

http://www.hrcbm.org/news/banskhali.html

If God did not create the horse, he would not have created the Rajput.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 17:55
I dont know about Bangladesh, but there's no 'gendercide' against minorities in Pakistan - if you have the proof show it, though it would need to be more significant than Gujerat in order for you to not be a hypocrite.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 18:57
Telde, how many times have i told you....learn how to spell Gujarat! (ok i've only told you once, but ive meant to tell you for some time), and we're not all bad, look at the numbers of those involved and compared it to the population of  Gujarat
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 20:53

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

Telde, how many times have i told you....learn how to spell Gujarat! (ok i've only told you once, but ive meant to tell you for some time), and we're not all bad, look at the numbers of those involved and compared it to the population of  Gujarat

While the mohommadans cite ONE Gujrat incident we have comprised a list of such incidents from SIX centuries of muslim carnage brought upon our people.  JAI BHAWANI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 01:56
Originally posted by Rajput

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

While the mohommadans cite ONE Gujrat incident we have comprised a list of such incidents from SIX centuries of muslim carnage brought upon our people.  JAI BHAWANI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya Khudah.
How come guys like you keep coming on? No doubt you'll probably get yourself banned in a week or so, therfore I will not bother arguing against you too much.

Firstly the idea that hindus living in Pakistan or Bangaldesh are being systematically persecuted is just stupid. Just stupid. Its not happening and you can take your pro-hindustan propaganda and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Similarly in Gujarat I'd agree with Anujkhamar and say that any anti-muslim persecution is limited. I'm sure that there is more anti-muslim persecution in India than anti-hindu in Pakistan for the sole reason that there are more muslims in India than Hindus in Pakistan.

Secondly Rajput. Only an ignorant fool refers to muslims as mohommadeans. The term is one from the 19th centuary europe and you are the first Indian I have ever heard use the term.
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 10:40

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Ya Khudah.
How come guys like you keep coming on? No doubt you'll probably get yourself banned in a week or so, therfore I will not bother arguing against you too much.

Because guys like you keep avoiding facts and try to distort them, by the way I was wondering why the 'paki brigade' was MIA for so long... you seem to fill that void perfectly along with your baboon brother.

Firstly the idea that hindus living in Pakistan or Bangaldesh are being systematically persecuted is just stupid. Just stupid.

If it is not happening then why are renowned news agencies publishing such articles?  Ya Khuda Reham!  lol come down from the clouds and visit planet earth sometimes or have you found your 9th heaven ??

you can take your pro-hindustan propaganda and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

It's not 'pro-hindustan'....more like pro-hindutva and seems to me like you're burning up behind that little box of yours, please keep the discussion here civilized, I know it might be hard for your kind but do try.

I'm sure that there is more anti-muslim persecution in India than anti-hindu in Pakistan for the sole reason that there are more muslims in India than Hindus in Pakistan.

Try again, go read a book or do some research, unlike other countries India gives full liberty to the mohommadan to practice his religion under quranic laws of the sharia.  In bombay city (Economic capital of India) alone the avg. muslim is much more well to do financially than the avg. hindu.  Why are hundreds of muslims from both Bangladesh and Pakistan apprehended by border security every month trying to swim to India or cross her borders ?

Secondly Rajput. Only an ignorant fool refers to muslims as mohommadeans. The term is one from the 19th centuary europe and you are the first Indian I have ever heard use the term.

"By my god Eklinga, Pratap would call the emperor Mohommadean alone and the sun would rise in the east. You may continue your proud bearing as long as Pratap's sword dangles on the mughal head. Pratap would be guilty of Sanga's blood, if he was to tolerate Akbar." -- Rana Pratap

Edited by Rajput

Post Reply Post Reply