Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disputed Persian/Iranian People and Discoveris (inven. , rel.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disputed Persian/Iranian People and Discoveris (inven. , rel.)
    Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 10:00
Originally posted by Afghanan

Malizai,

Everybody knows that the Shah was decadent, but spending money on Cultural Preservation is always important.  You ofcourse are Pakistani, and Pakistan is only a country that is only 50+ years old, and even my grandmother is older than Pakistan.  Just because Pakistan as a nation does not have enough history to speak of does not mean you should ridicule the Cultural bias of other people who realize the potential of their nation. 

Thank you Afghanan, a very good point. I count Pakistan to the greater Iran and i think Iranians share their history with Pakistanis too. So he could speak about Iranian history as his own, but it depends on his attitude.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 10:13
Originally posted by prsn41ife

please tell me, do you know how many other countries glorify their past.  COUNTRIES THAT HAVE PASTS, TEND TO GLORIFY THEM, countries that dont... well we all know what they do

In any one country there are many people that have a different past, but they all have a past, everyone remember their best throw.

well we all know what they do

LOVL, just intrigued to now what they do.

and lets weigh the options, secular Iran that has respect in the world, or Islamic Iran with no respect that gets humiliated every day. i think I'll go with the first choice, along with many other Iranians who have realized their mistakes during the revolution.

I hold the view rightly or wrongly, that anyone who measure themselves by the others yardstick doesn't measure upto anything. People wont respect u for ur past but for what u r. Khwarizmi, is enough respected for he had something to offer. Anyhow, i wish u good look which ever route u take.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 11:18

Originally posted by malizai_

In any one country there are many people that have a different past, but they all have a past, everyone remember their best throw.

everyone has a past, but no all have a past they can glorify.  for example, what does a country like UAE have to glorify about their past? what does a nation like brunei have to glorify about their past?

so no, not everyone has a past they can glorify.  the nations that do, should glorify them and preserve them.

LOVL, just intrigued to now what they do.

steal the history of others.

I hold the view rightly or wrongly, that anyone who measure themselves by the others yardstick doesn't measure upto anything. People wont respect u for ur past but for what u r. Khwarizmi, is enough respected for he had something to offer. Anyhow, i wish u good look which ever route u take.

through out history, empires have been successful by ADAPTING! the romans had no problem adapting the technological and cultural advancements of the people they conquered.  the europeans had no problem adapting middle eastern advancements into their society to make themselves stronger. the japanese had no problem adapting western technology to make themselves stronger. 

you have to look at the strongest most advanced nation, then adapt their ways to become successful. every nation has done it at one point or other.  so its muslims like you (i assume you are muslim because someone said you were pakistani) that keep the muslim world behind, thinking that adapting is bad

you have to adapt to become successful! you cannot just stay backwards!  and dont think of it as westernization, think of it as MODERNIZATION!

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 17:43

Firstly, let me state I am not going to discuss beliefs or nationalities because it has no bearing on history percieved or actual. The assumption was made by afghanaan because i told him my great grandfather had fluency in four languages amongst which was persian and i made comments on the durand line which ran through his greater afghanistan.

If u must know my creed, then it may be sufficient to quote Thomas Paine:

"my country is the world my religion is to do good".

Now to the matter at hand. We will start by discussing effects of self glorification and its merits. I will cite u the example of a Shah Reza Pahelivi--------->

After all the shah did to bathe Iran in the glories of the past for the world to see it in a new light. Do u know what the western world thought of him and the Iranians as a whole. Well, the following might give u an idea. U r forewarned it wont make pleasant reading.

Before arrival:

"According to recently emerged documents released in October 2001 to the Public Records Office in London, Queen Elizabeth was urged by the Foreign Office not to go as they feared the celebrations were likely to be "undignified and insecure"."

What the media was talking about at the time of the event:

"the foreign media seemed to have been more interested in Haile Selassie's little dog Chu Chu and her diamond collar."

After the shahs death:

"Tragically, Mohammed Reza Shah, the last of a long line of Persian monarchs, ended his days like a modern version of the Flying Dutchman. When the Shah left Iran on January 16th, 1979, he could find refuge in no port and seemed cursed to wander forever. He went to Egypt, to Morocco, to the Bahamas, to Mexico, America and Panama. But no one wanted him to stay; he was a reject, a pariah, a figure to whom very little world sympathy attached, and virtually no government wanted to risk the angering of the fanatical ayatollahs."

About ur comments about the new born. (implied lesser nations).----->>

If i was to take the antagonistic position, i may say Iran became independent 12 yrs before India and Pakistan, and they both got their Nukes 7 yrs ago, while iran is still trying to get theirs. If they r allowed. It should be for u a source of embarrassment.

If I was to further say, iranians have been around for more than 2500 yrs and P & I only 50 odd yrs, it makes the situation worse.

Afghanistan been around as a country for 250 odd yrs and doesnt even have a functioning airline.
With life expectancy at birth, a pathetic and depressing 43 yrs. So no more comments on that front are needed.

forty percent of the Iranian population live under the poverty line, although i know it is because of isolationist polices of the west and due to no fault of the iranians themselves. But that is the stark reality which u choose to ignore, at the same time demonstrating an arrogance beyond belief.

I will take the example of the UAE rather then Brunei just to keep matters brief. Just like u can relate to a past 2500 yrs ago while residing in america, the arabs can relate to two through Ishmael to the abrahmic inheritance and all the way back to Arabia Felix the aboriginal home of the arabs. Arabia Felix means Happy or flourishing Arabia in latin.

Here is a snippet of what Ptolemy had to say about them and ur countrymen:

"Part by part, again, Parthia, Media, and Persia are more closely familiar to Taurus and Venus; hence their inhabitants use embroidered clothing, which covers their entire body except the breast, and they are as a general thing luxurious and clean. Babylonia, Mesopotamia, and Assyria are familiar to Virgo and Mercury, and so the study of mathematics and the observation of the five planets are special traits of these peoples.

India, Ariana, and Gedrosia have familiarity with Capricorn and Saturn; therefore the inhabitants of these countries are ugly, unclean, and bestial.

The remaining parts of the quarter, situated about the center of the inhabited world, Idumaea, Coel, Syria, Judaca, Phoenicia, Chaldaea, Orchinia, and Arabia Felix, which are situated toward the north-west of the whole quarter, have additional familiarity with the north-western triangle, Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, and, furthermore, have as co-rulers Jupiter, Mars, and Mercury. Therefore these peoples are, in comparison with the others, more gifted in trade and exchange; they are more unscrupulous, despicable cowards, treacherous, servile, and in general fickle, on account of the aspect of the stars mentioned.

Of these, again, the inhabitants of Coel, Syria, Idumaea, and Judaea are more closely familiar to Aries and Mars, and therefore these peoples are in general bold, godless, and scheming. The Phoenicians, Chaldaeans, and Orchinians have familiarity with Leo and the sun, so that they are simpler, kindly, addicted to astrology, and beyond all men worshippers of the sun.

The inhabitants of Arabia Felix are familiar to Sagittarius and Jupiter; this accounts for the fertility of the country, in accordance with its name, and its multitudes of spices, and the grace of its inhabitants and their free spirit in daily life, in exchange, and in business."

The sabean kingdom was an arabian kingdom and its past was more glorious than if not equal to the parsis.

U continually rant on about what should have been and not staying backwards. But u r a backward looking person i feel, who is clinging to past glories in face of a decrepit present. But so overwhelmed by past glories that he is failing to create new ones.

U need to be proactive, i would like to hear what u r doing to make ur country a better place.(of course u r not obliged to answer).

For the activist is not the person who says the river is dirty but the one that cleans it up.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 18:01

After all the shah did to bathe Iran in the glories of the past for the world to see it in a new light. Do u know what the western world thought of him and the Iranians as a whole. Well, the following might give u an idea. U r forewarned it wont make pleasant reading.

Before arrival:

"According to recently emerged documents released in October 2001 to the Public Records Office in London, Queen Elizabeth was urged by the Foreign Office not to go as they feared the celebrations were likely to be "undignified and insecure"."

What the media was talking about at the time of the event:

"the foreign media seemed to have been more interested in Haile Selassie's little dog Chu Chu and her diamond collar."

your sources for these? and these were the only ones you could find? you obviously dont know how many other monarchs, and politicians were there.

After the shahs death:

"Tragically, Mohammed Reza Shah, the last of a long line of Persian monarchs, ended his days like a modern version of the Flying Dutchman. When the Shah left Iran on January 16th, 1979, he could find refuge in no port and seemed cursed to wander forever. He went to Egypt, to Morocco, to the Bahamas, to Mexico, America and Panama. But no one wanted him to stay; he was a reject, a pariah, a figure to whom very little world sympathy attached, and virtually no government wanted to risk the angering of the fanatical ayatollahs."

Your own posts answers the question of why the shah wasnt harboured by anyone.

have you heard of the American Hostage situation? every country, even Israel, attempted to have good relations with the mullahs.

do you know how many times American presidents went to Iran, and how many times the shah went to the US? MANY TIMES

iran at that time was one of the most respected nations in the world at the time.  Iran was the US's main ally in the region, Iran was the west's main ally in the region.  The US had all its hopes for the region based on Iran, infact, even at the time of the revolution, the US proposed to Iranian generals that they would send their army in to help with a coup!

About ur comments about the new born. (implied lesser nations).----->>

If i was to take the antagonistic position, i may say Iran became independent 12 yrs before India and Pakistan, and they both got their Nukes 7 yrs ago, while iran is still trying to get theirs. If they r allowed. It should be for u a source of embarrassment.

If I was to further say, iranians have been around for more than 2500 yrs and P & I only 50 odd yrs, it makes the situation worse.

Afghanistan been around as a country for 250 odd yrs and doesnt even have a functioning airline.
With life expectancy at birth, a pathetic and depressing 43 yrs. So no more comments on that front are needed.

you boviously dont know anything about iranian history. Iranians have 7000 years of history.  and Iran has always been called Iran. Even Cyrus the Great called it Iran.

Persia is the western name for Iran, much like Germany is the name adopted by the english language, even though germans have always called it dutschland.

forty percent of the Iranian population live under the poverty line, although i know it is because of isolationist polices of the west and due to no fault of the iranians themselves. But that is the stark reality which u choose to ignore, at the same time demonstrating an arrogance beyond belief.

and pakistan is doing much better huh? pakistan has all the benefits: secularism, western support, good relations with the world, etc...

and yet pakistan is still poor, much poorer than Iran.

and you gave the reasons why Iran is poor in your own post so i dont have to explain anything there. 

I will take the example of the UAE rather then Brunei just to keep matters brief. Just like u can relate to a past 2500 yrs ago while residing in america, the arabs can relate to two through Ishmael to the abrahmic inheritance and all the way back to Arabia Felix the aboriginal home of the arabs. Arabia Felix means Happy or flourishing Arabia in latin.

Here is a snippet of what Ptolemy had to say about them and ur countrymen:

"Part by part, again, Parthia, Media, and Persia are more closely familiar to Taurus and Venus; hence their inhabitants use embroidered clothing, which covers their entire body except the breast, and they are as a general thing luxurious and clean. Babylonia, Mesopotamia, and Assyria are familiar to Virgo and Mercury, and so the study of mathematics and the observation of the five planets are special traits of these peoples.

India, Ariana, and Gedrosia have familiarity with Capricorn and Saturn; therefore the inhabitants of these countries are ugly, unclean, and bestial.

The remaining parts of the quarter, situated about the center of the inhabited world, Idumaea, Coel, Syria, Judaca, Phoenicia, Chaldaea, Orchinia, and Arabia Felix, which are situated toward the north-west of the whole quarter, have additional familiarity with the north-western triangle, Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, and, furthermore, have as co-rulers Jupiter, Mars, and Mercury. Therefore these peoples are, in comparison with the others, more gifted in trade and exchange; they are more unscrupulous, despicable cowards, treacherous, servile, and in general fickle, on account of the aspect of the stars mentioned.

Of these, again, the inhabitants of Coel, Syria, Idumaea, and Judaea are more closely familiar to Aries and Mars, and therefore these peoples are in general bold, godless, and scheming. The Phoenicians, Chaldaeans, and Orchinians have familiarity with Leo and the sun, so that they are simpler, kindly, addicted to astrology, and beyond all men worshippers of the sun.

The inhabitants of Arabia Felix are familiar to Sagittarius and Jupiter; this accounts for the fertility of the country, in accordance with its name, and its multitudes of spices, and the grace of its inhabitants and their free spirit in daily life, in exchange, and in business."

The sabean kingdom was an arabian kingdom and its past was more glorious than if not equal to the parsis.

U continually rant on about what should have been and not staying backwards. But u r a backward looking person i feel, who is clinging to past glories in face of a decrepit present. But so overwhelmed by past glories that he is failing to create new ones.

U need to be proactive, i would like to hear what u r doing to make ur country a better place.(of course u r not obliged to answer).

For the activist is not the person who says the river is dirty but the one that cleans it up.

No one is saying that arabs didnt exist. all im saying is that arabs dont have a "civilised" history.

and you do realise that the romans and Parthians were bitter enemies dont you? and no where in your post is it evident that he describes arabs as better than Persians. that is just the falacy you created for yourself.

infact, arabs as a nations were insignificant at the time period.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 19:30

I know many monarchs were present including Haile Selassie's little dog Chu Chu.

I think that last post kind of like flew over or around ur head.

I did not ask u any questions except one which like i said u were not obliged to answer. The post was supposed to be an insight into the merits of self glorification and its uses. It did not help the shah and it wont help u.

Moral of the story is people are more interested in what u have to offer them. They respect the presence of oil more then the grand parade. Grand parade wont get the attention that oil will.

U keep bringing up pakistan, which is as about as much of a botheration  to me as is iran. Yes it is quite pathetic as well, but then it doesnt claim to be part of a "civilization" dating back to the last iceage.

"The sabean kingdom was an arabian kingdom and its past was more glorious than if not equal to the parsis."

It is an if not statement, i am not saying they were better i am saying that they could have been, but not less.

Maybe ptolemy was biased towards persians i am not fully sure, it could be because they just sacked presopolis and concquered the whole of persia.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/ev.php-URL_ID=15825&am p;URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

http://www.arab.net/yemen/yn_ancient.htm

http://oi.uchicago.edu/OI/PROJ/YEM/Yemen.html#AnnualReports

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 22:09
which ptolemy are you talking about? the one that was in egypt hundreds of years after the greek victory over persian?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 07:24

Yes Indeed, the famous GREEK geographer  Claudius Ptolemy born in ALEXANDRIA and who came about 400 yrs after Ptolemy(alexanders companion). But it is not too old a history for a people brought up on the Legends of ALEXANDER, how can they forget they live in a place called alexandria. I was hypothesising that if u think u didint get an  adequeate review it could be because of a victor vanquished relationship. Y do u always think i hve something aginst persians, i dont.

I have personally believed that he was spurned on to become a geographer because of stories myths and legends of Alexander in far flung lands.

Now the point was that the arabs too had an ancient civilized history and it didnt spring out of the deserts with the expansion of islam. Although may be not as old when compared with the persians. So u shouldnt belittle a people because they live in the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 17:38

no, arab culture and arab civilisation has never come close to persian civilisation and culture.

and i am not saying this because i have a racist agenda, i am saying this because the facts speak for themselves! just like how russia never had the culture and civilisation that italy has.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 00:00
you're wrong prsn4life.

Arabs adopted many costumes from Iran, and Iranian people too, learned many things from Arabs. Iran have even adopted some things from "the far away" China (e.g. dragons in miniature) and China has borrowed Persian miniture style. In fact, Iran even has adopted things from the 'new' America, globalization or "Americanization"!
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 00:46
yes Ramin indeed. adopting from another cultures enriches a society, it isn't dissapointing.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:07

Originally posted by ramin

you're wrong prsn4life.

Arabs adopted many costumes from Iran, and Iranian people too, learned many things from Arabs. Iran have even adopted some things from "the far away" China (e.g. dragons in miniature) and China has borrowed Persian miniture style. In fact, Iran even has adopted things from the 'new' America, globalization or "Americanization"!

besides islam and the arabic script (both by force) what did the give us? dont misconstrew my question, i dont know much about the arab influence on iran and i would like to enlighten me on its influence.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 18:22

no, arab culture and arab civilisation has never come close to persian civilisation and culture.

I am glad that u at least agree on arab civilisation. I wont bring culture into the equation for two reasons, one because i am ignorant of both cultures, and two because it is difficult enough to discuss civilisations.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 18:31

well why dont you tell me about arab civilisation and culture. post some articles, stuff like that?

i obviously dont know about it, if you do, instead of not doing anything why dont you enlighten me?

cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 19:43

you dont know anything about Iran. next time dont make comments like the above.

Or what?...just chill out, there is no need to get threatening. By the way the continuous moaning about how u were forced into this, hoodwinked into that, is a poor reflection on ur self.

Get over it, talk to someone about it, let it out.

you are paranoid, there is not threat. i just said dont make stupid comments that you cannot back up with evidence.

and i let everything out, for example i am talking to you about

and you'd be surprised how many iranians have rejected islam since the mullahs took power, like most of my family. 

look at the facts, what has islam brought to iran except suffering?

My Iranian brother, I am also the same as you, not only me but also all my relatives, etc are not muslim. I mean even my grand father wasnt muslim.
People outside Iran dont know this. I dont belive in any religion because it is man made, I feel sorry for those who spend so much of their time praying for nothing. Any way we will see the rise of Iran again, this old and great civilisation will rise again. China is one of those old ones that is rising again.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 19:47
i totally agree with you! religion is man made. however, i still believe in God, i dont believe in religion. religion has nothing to do with God.
cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 20:07
Originally posted by Miller

They join the grand parade of the shah, who i think spent $70 or 170 million dollars on glorification of the past, when that money should have been used for a brighter futre.

Have you ever been to Rome? Have you seen the poor side of the city? With the money Italians spent on the winter Olympics they could have feed a lot hungry people and create shelter for many people in their country. You reasoning could apply to many events. Should Americans spend money to send people to space when so many people are suffering .What is your point ?

The kind of attitude that i am talking about is embodied in the event of 1971 presepolis prade where The shah had a lapse in history.

Did you see Greeks glorify the Ottoman occupation of their country in historical parade they had in the opening ceremony of last summer Olympics. Why would you expect Iranians to glorify Arab or Mongol occupation?

Well said, nice one.
Let me tell you a story. One day an Arab friend came to me and said would you like to come with me to London to do mouding of somebody (I didnt even know when it was, because I dont care). I just told him would you still go if I tell you this person has killed and raped my families and relatives ?
He said no and I said fair well and dont ask me again.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 20:10

ok darling, here goes.

Petra-------->

http://www.see-jordan.com/petra.html

cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 20:23

i totally agree with you! religion is man made. however, i still believe in God, i dont believe in religion. religion has nothing to do with God.

I dont want to start religious debate here, I just want to say that I think it is even wrong to be sure that there is a god, I always say I dont know. I was like you before I used to say god is 100% but after studying evolution and big bang , etc I wouldnt say any longer, it does exist 100% I always say I dont know.

Edited by cyrus
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 20:48
Hey just wondering what u understand by the big bang?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>