Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5 Things I Like About Pakistan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 Things I Like About Pakistan
    Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 13:36
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Nice post Jhangora,

ive heard that kites are a massive hit in Pakistan and i belive also in India. Would you know as to why?

Yeah, I find this interesting too.

I have heard there's a massive Kite festival  held from the Lahore rooftops.

Everyone tries to outplay each other, with some lacing their kite strings with a glass cutting agent to cut others kite strings! Sounds fascinating.

Any info. from those who know?

Edited by amir khan
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 22:10
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Nice post Jhangora,

ive heard that kites are a massive hit in Pakistan and i belive also in India. Would you know as to why?

Yes OSMANLI kites are popular in India too.All over India {as far as I know} people fly kites on Rakshabandhan day {if you wish I'll let you know about Rakshabandhan  too....in another thread}.In Delhi people fly kites on National festivals like Independence day too {though not in my hometown---maybe some do}.

A few reasons come to my mind regarding popularity of kites.

1}The human desire to fly like a bird,be free,independent.

2}The fun and adrenaline rush you get when you cut someone else's string in the sky and bring his kite down to the ground.

3}Colours.Kites are an outlet for artistic talents.They have beautiful patterns,pictures of currently popular stars,etc.

I don't know how to fly a kite {the take off part is the most difficult and boring}.My friends though would spend hours on their rooftops {some even during summers, +40 degrees celcius} flying kites.

In addition to kite flying I don't know how to play marbles  and  am pretty useless as a card player.

http://www.indiankites.com/images/rajafly.jpg

Edited by Jhangora
Jai Badri Vishal
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 22:33

Everyone tries to outplay each other, with some lacing their kite strings with a glass cutting agent to cut others kite strings! Sounds fascinating

The thread coated with glass powder is known as Maanja/Manja. Kite is attached to the Manja.After the Maanja {Maanja's length depends on the kite flyers choice and budget} comes simple thread dori/soot {white while Maanja is coloured}.

In addition to being fascinating Maanja is dangerous .Due to the thread being coated with glass powder,  friction between the kite flyers fingers and the maanja causes injuries which can be pretty serious sometimes.

There are two ways of cutting other kites in sky.One is to hold your string and thus the kite loose {dheel},second one is to pull your kite{khench}.Will have to ask an expert kite-flyer which way is more effective.My opinion is it's a matter of chance{but then.....I don't know how to fly a kite}.

A dude making Maanja out of soot.

http://www.artexchanges.org.uk/images/modified/1499.jpg

Could not find pic for soot.

Maanja---ready to be sold in the market.

http://www.foreverflying.com/absolute-spools.jpg

Here's a European Kite.......

It's a red one though.

http://www.ebd.csic.es/~busta/images/goshawk.jpg

Edited by Jhangora
Jai Badri Vishal
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 14:11
Very nice  Jhangora,for me I like the halawa.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Censored View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Censored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 01:03

people of lahore

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 02:04
lol, I'm sure he regrets that picture
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 14:38

^ looks like a fun guy! I bet he can show us a fun time hanging out in Lahore!

Edited by amir khan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 00:03

I like Pakistan Rangers

TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 10:18

Nice pictures, Vodka. I think the Rangers are a paramilitary group. The special forces are the SSG.

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 05:50

Nice pics, Shukaria to both Vodka and TeleIndus.

Couldnt share links with were you found the images could you?

Luv_ya_Azerbaijan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 13:21
I like the Pakistani hospitality, their people are very nice (most of them) and they can cook well
Turk milletlerinin birlik yoluna!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 10:46
hmmmm Pakistan is good place people are very nice, food is good i like it,not bad city hmm my mark 9/10
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 14:23

I like Pakistani Tea.

Edited by ChawwaniKiChaa
AthaNnikIcHaA View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AthaNnikIcHaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:09

I like Pakistani Wedding

Edited by AthaNnikIcHaA

Baingan Khaa Lo Baingan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 06:54
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 03:41

Clifton Beach Karachi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:19
Originally posted by ChawwaniKiChaa

I like Pakistani Tea.

yes pakistanian tea is very dilicios have you tried Azeri tea it's delicious also
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 06:58

only three things I can come up with that I like about Pakistan:

My friends Irfan, Khuram and Ihsan.

Edited by Zagros
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:15
i like them becouse they helped us. they send money to us while we were fighting against greeks.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 10:11

yes pakistanian tea is very dilicios have you tried Azeri tea it's delicious also

No I havn't so far Azeri Boy.

Wasim Akram.Arguably the all time best left-arm pace bowler.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>