Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is the United States ready for a female president?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the United States ready for a female president?
    Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 11:11
I dont see why not.  I have no problems what so ever with that.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by Paul

I'm sure somewhere in the bible it forbids women from being US president.

I think it forbids democracy in itself. Jesus Christ is the King of mankind, and all of the Israelites were lead by male kings that were not elected by the people.

They were chosen by God.  The people would not dare say there was a miscount with God!

Yes, God chose the Israelites to go to war against their pagan neighbors.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 12:53
Originally posted by arch.buff

At present? no. Ever? probably not.

Now Im not sexist or have anything at all whatsoever against females but in most crucial situations I would say that men generally handle it better. This is just how the two genders are made. Women generally are more emotional people and act on emotions more just as some men do as well but as a whole I would say men are more analytical. In truth if my decision was on two candidates that both had good sound points and opinions on the way a country should be ran and I was in the middle of the road with the two votes and one of those candidates happened to be female than I woukd more than likely vote for the male ONLY because generally I would believe that the man would handle a significant life-threatening/saving chose especially regarding war, in a more non-emotional way. Notice how Ive used the word "generally" a multitude of times.

I swear I've heard this before ... Oh, yes, in one of the PBS "American experience" documentaries on the history of "Miss America". I don't know which candidate was that but she gave almost the same answer (with the same reasoning) that arch.buff did when she was asked the same question that's asked on this thread.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/missamerica/filmmore/pt.html

"PAGEANT BROADCAST: Parks "This is a presidential election year. If a qualified woman were running for president, how would you feel about voting for her and why?" Contestant: If the men candidates running were qualified, I feet I would vote against her. My reasons being that women are very high strung and emotional people. They aren't reliable enough when it comes to making a decision, a snap decision. I believe that a man in such a predicament would be able to make a more justifiable and better decision. "

As you see, I didn't make this up!!!!! The documentary doesn't indicate which year that was, but from the look of it (it's in Black and White - but you can definitely tell the contestant in question was blonde as everyone else at that time ), it must be in the late 50's or early 60's.

I guess Americans' perception on gender hasn't really changed that much since the 50's ...

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 21:31

Unless it is a time of exterme national emergency, it is of no importance who the president is.  The real power to affect policy and decision making is always much more invisible than it is transparent.

Big oil runs this country now as the railroads ran it 100 years ago.

I do not say it is the best situation, but it is what drives business, mobilizes capital, has created wealth that exists so people can aspire to it, and frankly big business and its perception of interest has historically been more beneficial for our strategic security than have social programs.

This is only my view.  I can just imagine the reaction tomorrow.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 22:46
It is interesting to note that throughout history women in power have an unusual tendency to get their nations into armed conflict. Whenever I hear one of my dear lady friends say how free of war the world would be if it were run by women, I run off names like Catherine the Great, Elizabeth II of Russia, Irene of Byzantium, Elizabeth I of England, Isabel of Castile, Margaret Thatcher,  Zenobia etc. Women actually have some impressive achievements as martial leaders.

Unfortunately most voters haven't heard of half those women and would still have the shortish and scrawny looking Bush (he just isn't intimidating or manly IMHO) in charge rather than a lady who could pack a punch.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 06:57
Originally posted by Constantine XI

It is interesting to note that throughout history women in power have an unusual tendency to get their nations into armed conflict. Whenever I hear one of my dear lady friends say how free of war the world would be if it were run by women, I run off names like Catherine the Great, Elizabeth II of Russia, Irene of Byzantium, Elizabeth I of England, Isabel of Castile, Margaret Thatcher,  Zenobia etc. Women actually have some impressive achievements as martial leaders.

Unfortunately most voters haven't heard of half those women and would still have the shortish and scrawny looking Bush (he just isn't intimidating or manly IMHO) in charge rather than a lady who could pack a punch.

I know, it is stupid that people think that people think that women would stop war. It seems that a larger percentage of women have gone to war in history then men have.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 08:00

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I know, it is stupid that people think that people think that women would stop war. It seems that a larger percentage of women have gone to war in history then men have.

Some:

Elizabeth I

Catherine the Great

Golda Meir

Indira Ghandi

Margaret Thatcher

War acknowledges no gender.  Never has; never will.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 11:32
What? In Americas short history it has seen more war thru male presidents then virtually all women led wars in history. There just havent been that much volume of women in history that have been in a position of absolute power. Maybe Im not understanding the above posts but are we suggesting that more women(when in a position of power) have gone to war as opposed to men???
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 13:24

I agree. The gender of a leader has nothing to do with whether he or she is willing to involve his or her country in an arumed conflict or not. A war is a war. The desire to protect one's own interests is the same in any country whether the leader is a man or a woman. So I think it's absurd for anyone to argue that if the world is run by women, it would be a better place. The world just hasn't given women enough the chance to show their real colour ...

Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 13:26

... Im not understanding the above posts but are we suggesting that more women(when in a position of power) have gone to war as opposed to men???

Not more. The above posts just demonstrate the fact that female leaders are no different from their male counterparts when it comes to their willingness to involve their own country in armed conflicts.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 14:00
It might be interesting to see Pancho Villa's opinion on this:

(from a report of the American journalist John Reed)
Once I asked him him if women could vote in the new Republic. He was sprawled out on his bed with his coat unbuttoned. "Why, I don't think so," he staid, startled, suddenly sitting up. "What do you mean, vote? Do you mean elect a government and make laws?" I said I did and that women already were doing it in the United States. "Well," he said, scratching his head, "if they do it up there I don't see they shouldn't do it down here." The idea seemed to amuse him enormously. He rolled it over and over in his mind, looking at me and away again. "It may be as you say," he said, "but I never thought about it. Women seem to me to be things to protect, to love. They have no sternness of mind. They can't consider anything for its right or wrong. They are full of pity and softeness. Why," he said, "a woman would not give an order to execute a traitor."
    "I am not so sure of that, mi general," I said. "Women can be crueler and harder than men."
    He stared at me, pulling his mustache. And then he began to grin. He looked slowly to where his wife was setting the table for lunch. "Oiga," he said, "come here. Listen. Last night I caught three traitors crossing the river to blow up the railroad. What shall I do with them? Shall I shoot them or not?"
    Embarrassed, she seized his hand and kissed it. "Oh, I don't know anything about that," she said. "You know best."
    "No," said Villa. "I leave it entirely to you. Those men were going to try to cut our communications between Jurez and Chihuahua. They were traitors - Federals. What shall I do? Shall I shoot them or not?"
    "Oh, well, shoot them," said Mrs. Villa.
    Villa chuckled deghtedly. "There is something in what you say," he remarked, and for days afterward he went around asking the cook and the chaimbermaids whom they would like to have for president of Mexico.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by flyingzone

It is interesting to note that throughout history women in power have an unusual tendency to get their nations into armed conflict. Whenever I hear one of my dear lady friends say how free of war the world would be if it were run by women, I run off names like Catherine the Great, Elizabeth II of Russia, Irene of Byzantium, Elizabeth I of England, Isabel of Castile, Margaret Thatcher, Zenobia etc. Women actually have some impressive achievements as martial leaders.

I agree. The gender of a leader has nothing to do with whether he or she is willing to involve his or her country in an arumed conflict or not. A war is a war. The desire to protect one's own interestsis the same in any country whether the leader is a man or a woman. So I think it's absurd foranyone to argue that if the worldis run by women, it would be a better place. The world just hasn't given women enough the chance to show their real colour ... }

I agree as well. A world run by women would not make it a better place at all. I would not vote for a woman just because she is a woman, but only if she was qualified and is working for the best interest of her country. I don't think gender should be a contributing factor whatsoever. The best and most qualified should be in office - be it man or woman! The U.S., however, has not yet had an opportunity for its citizens to have that choice at the voting polls. (Well, not since Ferraro for vice president- and we all now how that turned out). The fact that a woman runs for the presidency of the U.S. does not mean she will win, it just means that women will finally be considered and accepted for THE top level position of government administration. It will happen...I hope in my lifetime anyway!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 15:11

What? In Americas short history it has seen more war thru male presidents then virtually all women led wars in history. There just havent been that much volume of women in history that have been in a position of absolute power. Maybe Im not understanding the above posts but are we suggesting that more women(when in a position of power) have gone to war as opposed to men???

No, I am saying that a larger percentage of women that have been in power seem to go to war more than men who have been in power. Of course, there have not been enough women in power. That not at all means that women are more warmongerish, but it proves the point that women do not hesitate to go to war.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 15:30
I would support a female President if should stood for the same values I do.
If she believed in:
protecting our borders
A strong military
Pro-life
Supported an Amendment that protects marriage
Pro second Amendment
Opposed restrictions on the 1st Amendment by the gay mafia and other groups. (Australia and Canada)
Had the guts to get this war over fast and not fight it in a PC manner, like Bush.
Enviroment being a major concern
Will support a much bigger effort to find an alternative energy source. Sad the oil companies have too much power for this to happen.
supports edcaution and will not forget the poor.(Geography, math and history)
Not a Democrat or Republican but Independent- not a Repubicrat or a Demican. (But, it won't happen since there are only two parties)
supports the English language but opposes English only since that would cut off finds to Native Americas wanting to learn their native language. Encourage children to be eduated in a foriegn language much younger than they do in our school system. (Spanish or French) Chinese is probably going to be a major trade language in the future.
I would prefer a male President but if she shared these values or most of them, then I would vote for her.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 15:55
Originally posted by eaglecap

Opposed restrictions on the 1st Amendment by the gay mafia and other groups. (Australia and Canada)

Sorry, but what do you mean by this one?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 16:40

I would prefer a male President but if she shared these values or most of them, then I would vote for her.

Why does it matter if it is a man or a woman? That just makes no sense. It seems that you would rather have a male standing by those values than a woman.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 16:45

Sorry, but what do you mean by this one?

In Canada you cannot speak out in public, even in a church, or criticize gays at all, it is a hate crime.
In the case of Victoria, Australia you cannot do the same about any religion even if it is the truth. There are some Pastors in jail in both Canada and Australia.
Now with the gay issue there are some extreme gays who wan the same thing and they attempt it every year.
Currently, in the State of Washington, my state, they are trying to push HB 2661 or gay rights initiative, against the will of the majority. It would give them special rights and restrict free speech to criticize them in any way. I am not sure if it will be criminal penalties or not. Most likely any church, synagouge or Mosque which preaches anything negative about homosexuality will have their tax exempt status taken. I believe it will eventually, in defiance of the first Amendment, lead to criminal prosecution. I am not religious but I believe strongly in the 1st Amendment.
Gay issue is more another thread but I wanted to answer your question and no I do not hate gays but the lifestyle is much unhealthier than being straight and I have the right to talk about this.
I have been doing my duty as an American and telling as many Washington residents (mostly friends) that I can about this.

Edited by eaglecap
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 18:11

In Canada you cannot speak out in public, even in a church, or criticize gays at all, it is a hate crime.

And rtightly so if you're gonna spew the tired sh*t about gays being evil, the devil's minions, etc, etc as the typical wackjob bible belters in America do.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 18:22
Mostly all of those laws were made because of the crazy preachers who speak out against gays as sinful fornicating evildoers who deserve death.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 18:25
exactly
and besides, what are "extreme gays"? Gays who are even more gay than other gays?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>