Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oceans are dying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oceans are dying
    Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 06:19
Canadian scientists of Memorial University have brought new data that shows that at some deep water species have plumetter by about 98% in a generation, meeting the criteria to be classified as critically endangered.

This stuation is blamed in bottom-trawling techniques that literally break havoc in oceanic floors, destroying the bases that allow for fishes to live and reproduce.

They ask for an inmediate moratorium in bottom-trawling fishing as the only way to allow the seas to recover.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4581428.stm

Seafloor before and after bottom-trawlers' passage

Check also http://www.savethehighseas.org/

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 13:09
Yeah bottom trawling is pretty rough stuff.  It comes from the very profitable cod fishing trade that went from Massachussettes through Newfoundland and the Atlantic. 
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 13:34
One would think that with the near-total depletion of cod and other fish stocks (due to overfishing mainly by factory ships) that resulted in the devastation of coastal communities in Qubec's Gaspsie and the Maritime provinces whose effects have lasted even until today, people would have learned their lesson and become more wise in managing conserving the fragile maritime resources. Canada's experience with commercial fishing demonstrates a clear example of what unregulated commercial fishing can do to an economy and an eco-system.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 22:23
It's sick! Stocks are near-depleted and many species may well be extinct or near-extinction and governments don't react.

I've stopped eating any kind of seafood but it's just an individual gesture.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 23:04

Yes, it's a shame.  A kind of tragedy of the commons type example, no one answers for it's destruction (except governments) so there's no incentive to conserve.  Global stocks also probably just can't keep up with demand regardless of how you do it, that's why fish farms will be the wave of the future.

Maju, don't feel bad about eating farm raised fish, if anything you should and give them the monetary help they need to expand.  Every fish you eat from a fish farm does it's part to promote sustainable seafood production.

Member of IAEA
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 23:12
Farmed fish isn't completly clean either.

Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 00:20
I agree with Cywr: fish and seafood farms are also part of the problem, they can be very destructive and polluting. I just don't eat fish or seafood anymore... at least normally (sometimes I forget ).

The only solution (though it may well be too late) would be to restrict global fishing to a truly sustainable ammount, banning all kind of abusive techniques... but that would require a World government, like so many other global problems.

Anyhow even at the local level governments are uninterested in sea protection: you don't see it, so it doesn't matter.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 02:50
My diet in based on seafood, and like most seafood based communties I plan on having less depression and a longer healtheri life.  Cod may be depleted but I dont eat cod, not all fish is bloody cod.
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 03:04
The process may have been perfected by Canadian (?) cod fishermen, but its used the world over for all sorts of fish.

I eat fish, i have to as my diet would be crap otherwise, i think i have a sort of hunter gather diet as it consists of grains, nuts, seeds, meat and fish pretty much.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 03:07
Well then just dont eat the endandgered ones, if one stops being endangered again dont eat it.  Its not like anyone gives a damn about the individual fish...and if they do they are a HUGE PUSSY!
-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 03:46
They are all endangered right now: anchovy captures this year in Europe have been pathetic and all that the European Comission has been able to do is to grant a biological stop of 6 months. That's all!

My attitude right now is to hell with the fishing industry! It's surely not the fault of fishermen only (governments should have acted) but anyhow fishing industry is finished, so let's try to at least save the fish.

(And to improve your diet eat vegetables and fruit, not fish).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 04:05
Hey fish based diets on the whole bring longer happier lives to peopel than any other kind.  Anyway I do eat plenty of fruits and veggies, but fish is my staple, like the people of Okinawa who on the whole have the largest amount of healthy 100plus people in the world.  Though Okinawans make terrible sushi.
-Alexander Hamilton
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 10:03

New Zealand have dealt with the problem very well and I have no idea why other communites and nations have not done the same.

They have implemented large no fishing zones, where trawlers are barred from going.  These areas flourish with marine life and cause an over spill into the areas that can be trawled, thereby perpetuating a sustainable source of seafood, which incidentally, I love.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 10:37

Originally posted by Cywr

Neither are land farms, but it's better than ripping up the sea floor.

Member of IAEA
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 18:27
Originally posted by Genghis

Originally posted by Cywr

Neither are land farms, but it's better than ripping up the sea floor.

Some fish farms destroy coastal enviroment what also damages the ocean life a lot. Farmed fish, due to massification and who knows what, are much more likely to develope diseases that then are propagated to thei wild cousins. The "remedy" is to use massively chemicals medicines, which destroy the area and are also a potential risk to our health.

Of course that land farming is also very problematic but I'm bound to eat or die.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 21:09
All agriculture by its nature does two things hippies hate...cause environmental damage and involve genetic modification.  The funny thing is this is not new, since the first plant was cultivated agriculture has been both genetically modified by people and caused damage to the environment.  Thereofre no matter what you do you will never eat totally "clean" food EVER.  Nor have most people done so for thousands of years.  Oh well we are still here.  We try to limit our damage but theres no such thing as eliminating it completely.
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply