Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which language do you think sounds the be

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which language do you think sounds the be
    Posted: 07-May-2005 at 02:53
I like Salish Indian- it is different!! I think in another life I was an indian-

I took another trip back in time in my way back machine and snapped another pic of me in a past life-

_______
Know Pizza and know peace
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 15:41

I like the sounding of anatolian Turkish (any dialect exept maybe that of the Laz)Other than my own language my order would be:

1. Persian
  2. Kyrghiz
  3. English
  4. Mongolian
  5. Italian

The ones which dont sound quite nice to my ear are:

1. French
  2. Russian
  3. Japanese

no offence

Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 13:51

Karadeniz Turkish

those that the laz speak?

French

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 12:12

The best: Karadeniz Turkish ,Arabic '(when hoca reading soeras out Kuran), Farsi/Persian, Amerigo-indian language  

Worst: Hebrew, Greek => sounds worse and Dutch bcuz its tough to learn vree moeilijk

OUT OF LIMIT
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 06:20
!kung
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 06:09
Quenya.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 23:14
Latin for me. Easily. It just sounds so powerful. Its like every word makes a STOP! and forces you to listen to it. Its definately a wonderful language. Now if only I could speak it . Thats my favorite language. Its also the language of my favorite character of antiquity. Gaius Julius Caesar. 
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 22:10
While searching through the web I found this interesting article that totally covers my view in a much more articulate manner than I would.

William Harris Prof. Em. Middlebury College

"
One cannot help feeling proud and pleased with the lovely sound of Classical Greek. A language with a clear-ringing and transparent set of vowels, backed up by smoothly sliding di-phthongs, a language which cannot tolerate double consonants at the word-end, smoothing a raucous Latin -unt to a silky -on, even whispering down an initial sibilant like s- to the aura of a "rough breathing" (rough indeed....!)---------this must be one of the loveliest languages of the world.

Lovely indeed are the "interwoven cadences" of Sappho, as Dionysus put it, the many-colored phrases which combine musically in every sentence of Plato's art-prose. And Pindar's world of words flowing in a river of rhythm, pure art quite separate from his biography, along with Aeschylus' storms of sound, or Sophocles' restrained artfulness laced with innuendo.

But then I have to ask my Classical colleagues: Why have you insisted all these years on ruining the sound when you read Greek aloud, hammering the light sounds inexorably so they come out loud, obliterating the clearly indicated durations ----- thus depriving yourselves of the true musicality of ancient Greek?"

The rest at:
http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/Classics/Greekacce nts.html

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 20:56
Originally posted by Zagros Purya

Literature Persian. But I am biased.
That's an understatement, couldn't help it
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 18:57
Literature Persian. But I am biased.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 18:23
Telugu and French
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 01:11
I would not to nominate Klingon!!! The galaxtic language of warriors or is that laxative language of warrior???

http://www.kli.org/

The Klingon Language Institute

Welcome to the Klingon Language Institute. That's right, Klingon. Those bumpy headed aliens of Star Trek really have their own language, one which has far outgrown mere television and film. That's what we're about. We're here to promote and support this unique and exciting language. So, whether you've just stumbled in here by accident, or lost a bet, or have sought long and hard for people who share your passion for the warriors' tongue, come on in. Our site has information and resources to interest both skeptic and enthusiast alike. Join us in our exploration of the galaxy's fastest growing language.

Real Klingon honeys!!
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 00:58
My vote would be for Urdu, the national language for Pakistan and one of the official ones for India.  Hindi would be a close 2nd (they have similiar grammar and sounds, just that Urdu vocabulary is more Persio-Arabic based and Hindi is more based on Sanskrit.

And I've had to learn French here in school, and there is no comparison...
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 12:13

Originally posted by ramin

There are somelanguages that sound strict like German, Turkish (more or less), and Arabic -- these are what I know of.

That would probably include Dutch... it's funny, when Dutch is imitated from an English perspective it always sounds extremely much like German  to me German sounds very distinctive and different from Dutch, but to outsiders (which are of course in the more reliable position of neutrality) they probably sound the same, so I guess it's just me

Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 11:51

In fact, original Turkish is much more strict than current Turkish spoken in the Republic of Turkey. If you listen Kazakh, Uzbek or Uighur languages, you would differ these from Turkmen, Azeri and modern Turkish...

I forgot his name, but a British linguistic master once told that the stanbul Turkish was a version of Azeri which is spelled in European accent...

Edited by Oguzoglu
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 10:46
There are somelanguages that sound strict like German, Turkish (more or less), and Arabic -- these are what I know of.

My favorites are German (just started learning), Italian (Perfect for singing when ure alone!), and Yugoslavian.

I don't like English, French, Spanish, and Arabic (it's only good for music once in a while).
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Hardel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hardel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 05:55
I like hear western mongolian,japanese,french and russian.And don't like arabic,indian and chinese.

Edited by Hardel
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 10:48
Originally posted by azimuth

well once you understand Arabic you will like it and by Arabic i mean the Formal Arabic not the accents which are used everywhere

also

there is no language called "Israeli" it is Hebrew

Yes, I know it.

I just forgot the english word for "Ibrani"...

Emile Boutros View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 21:28
Arabic is a beautiful language. I like Syrian Arabic the best. Then I would say it is Malay. I don't understand what people like aout French. People say my accent sounds French but I don't understand as I don't even know French! It is nasal and goofy. I hope I do not sound this way when I am speaking English or swedish.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 20:37

well once you understand Arabic you will like it and by Arabic i mean the Formal Arabic not the accents which are used everywhere

also

there is no language called "Israeli" it is Hebrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>