Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Garimto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garimto
    Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 01:37
What is it and how accurate is the information on it?
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 09:03
Errr.  I think you should elaborate on your question
Grrr..
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 00:40
My question is if it actually existed.
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 19:11
I found some interesting information on Hangul
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm

It says that Korean may have drawn from Phags Pa, and if you click on the link, it looks pretty similar
Infini View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 02:30
that is pretty damn cool. i would like to know more about garimto as well.
hi
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 03:13
What is garimto?
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 00:45
sorry i didn't respond earlier.  It is supposed to be a script created long before hangul.  Supposedly king Sejong used it for his inspiration to create hangul.  Not sure about it though...
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 02:00

Hey Gubukjanggoon,

I hope you don't interpret the following as another "everything East Asian came from China" piece of garbage , because this one, I believe, has a lot of truth to it.  I'm not sure if garimto was a source of hangul, but there's one source that I can tell you about: Neo-Confucian metaphysics.  I'm not particularly familiar with this issue, but I can try to elaborate.

The basic idea here is that many of the designs of the alphabets are based on Neo-Confucian metaphysics.  For example, the Confucian classic Yijing speaks of the Heaven-Earth-human connection.  In Hangul, the dot represents Heaven, the horizontal line represents Earth, and the vertical line represents human.  This should not be surprising, given the fact that King Sejong and Yi Choson were Neo-Confucian.  As I said before, there is a saying that Koreans made better Confucians than Chinese.

If this were true, then Hangul is in itself a master piece of metaphysical representation.  It means that the Koreans developed a writing system that the Enlightenment Era Europeans dreamt of: a script that represents the actual forms of reality.  Another obvious example of Yijing featuring in Korean culture is the South Korean flag, which has the Taiji and four of the Bagua.

Peace,

Michael

11-24-2004

Edited by MengTzu
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 02:06
Yes I"ve read about this.  It's quite interesting how he designed it.  Sad that they're done away with the dot and other letters though...

Obsolete jamo

The original additional jamo, called archaic or obsolete, are:

• or 丶 (arae-a or araea Ʒ ): Pronounced as [V] , similar to eo.
    Typically seen on its own, or in the syllable (area-ae)
  • (bansios, ݽÿ) [z] (If your browser doesn't show it, the letter looks like an equilateral triangle.)
  • (yeorinhieuh, or "light hieuh" or "doubled ieung") [glottal fricative/stop]: "lighter than and harsher than ".
  • (yetieung, ) [N]: Now merged into (ieung), it is the traditional symbol for [N]. With some computer fonts, yetieung is shown as a less round version of ieung. The proper way of representing yetieung, however, is by showing a long peak, longer than what you would see on a serif version of ieung.

In addition, there are two obsolete derived (in form) jamo representing one single sound:

• (gabyeoun bieup, )
  • (ssanghieuh, ) [x']

Edited by Gubukjanggoon
Infini View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 19:05
ok question then was garimto similar in the way of representing the neo-confucian meta physics? Is garimto before the 3 kingdoms? Is there any evidence of it left? I dont know much about the past written languages. I know there was Yidu in Silla but know nothing of it either. Wasn't Hangul created to help understand Hanja?
hi
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 20:10
No Hangul was Created because Hanja wasn't able to effectively convey the Korean Language.  I think a part of this was its inability to convey Korean articles.  I do believe Garimto was before the 3 Kingdoms...or so is claimed.
Infini View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 20:41
so it has no connection to the hanja? im about to learn hanja and from what it looks like, each hanja has like a little definition. like Chun = Ha Nool Chun so i thought and i heard it was to explain chinese.

I have not heard much about garimto. My dad is like this uber history buff and speaks chinese, korean, and japanese and writes in chinese and korean, but he has no clue what it is. He never even heard of the word.
hi
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 20:43
Demon first brought it up so I suppose he knows more.  This thread was really me being confused about it too.  I havn't found any answers yet.  Here's a picture of Garimto. 

Infini View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 20:55
doesn't that look kinda like Mongolian writing? where did you get that picture?
hi
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 21:19

what is garimto?

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 21:20
Got it from Demon.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 22:57
I dun mean to sound flippant, but can it be another nationalist theory?  Has Garimto appeared in ancient Korean documents?  I hope I'm not offending anyone here.  But every time there is a Korean theory about something nobody (even Koreans) ever heard of, I'm careful.  And just to be cautious about not offending anyone: I'm not suggesting that any new findings about Korean history is a nationalist myth.  If we are to assume so about Korea we must assume that about every culture, and in that case we'll never be able to have any authentic new findings.  What makes me suspicious in this case, besides the fact that nobody (even Koreans) heard of it, is the possible implication that Hangul is based on a native tradition.  Again, I'm not saying it couldn't be (I personally think Hangul itself is something to be proud of,) just expressing my suspicion.

Edited by MengTzu
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 23:02
That's exactly what I thought at first.  I can't find anything about it.  That's why I started this thread...to find out...
Chinghiz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Chinghiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 08:44

Originally posted by Infini

doesn't that look kinda like Mongolian writing? where did you get that picture?

You are partly right, but there are several different Mongol scripts, so with only one of them.

Several of the above characters are also found in ancient celadons or clay-vessels made about 4500-3500 found in Korea and North-East China including Shandong, which are considered as the legendary Bird-Claw characters that the ancient teacher from Qing Qiu Country (Korea??) gave to Huang-Di (Yellow King or First legendary Chinese King).   

Veritas lux mea
 Post Reply Post Reply