Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worlds most modern ancient advancement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worlds most modern ancient advancement
    Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 19:06
Everyone knows that ancient civs have been said to have invented things that we are only getting a grasp on in the last hundred years. What is your opinion on this.

Edited by euro_king
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 11:23
what? if we know they invented it, why aren't we using it? can u quote an example?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 19:15
The colloseum was said to have a retractable roof which we have only started to get a hold of in the last 30 years or so.

Edited by euro_king
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 14:02
I think a greek in Alexandria made a toy 'train' one time, but he never recognized the significance of it.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 12:42

I heard that sumerians had helmets that were so fine that it could be rivaled only by our current technology.

Grrr..
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 15:07
How about the way sound carries in Greek Amphitheaters?  No one knows how they did it, no one can design a theater which carries sound as well either.

And Greek Fire, I'm pretty sure that we don't know its chemical composition today.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:39
some dude in Alexandria made a steam engine
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 05:12

Tripitaka Koreana, consisting of over 80,000 blocks, created during mongol invasions, was stored in Hae-In temple, but in the 1970's they moved some to a modern storage facility with air humidity control etc, and defections started to appear, and they moved them back to the old temple where no problems arose

Edited by I/eye
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 19:29

Is that girl irresistible or is it just.

As for invention, I'll say french kiss.

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 19:29

Irresistible.

As for invention, french kiss.

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 20:26

In northern China, they dug up a 1000 year old bra

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 07:33

The "Mechanism of Antikithera"

Search for the words in Google

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shifty Russian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 21:52
Originally posted by TMPikachu

In northern China, they dug up a 1000 year old bra

I was looking for that

I believe i saw a doc - on a mechanical moon calandar - from around the Galileo era. Galileo also created a pretty kool - measuring device - for the "mile stones"

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
SJI Lasallian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 05:46
I heard they found in China...unique ancient sex 'toys' that were used by the neglected concubines of the ancient Chinese emperors...
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 14:54

Originally posted by Kubrat

How about the way sound carries in Greek Amphitheaters?  No one knows how they did it, no one can design a theater which carries sound as well either.

And Greek Fire, I'm pretty sure that we don't know its chemical composition today.

I think we're just beginning to grasp what Greek Fire was. It was never written down, so we just may never know. But it's believed to be some kind of petroleum product.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 15:46

In June, 1936, while a new railway was being constructed near the city of Baghdad workers uncovered an ancient tomb. In the excavation that followed it was determined that the tomb was built during the Parthian period which ranged from 250 BC to AD 250 (+/-).

According to most texts the "voltic pile," or electric battery, was invented in 1800 by the Count Alassandro Volta. Volta had observed that when two dissimilar metal probes were placed against frog tissue, a weak electric current was generated. Volta discovered he could reproduce this current outside of living tissue by placing the metals in certain chemical solutions. For this, and his other work with electricity, we commemorate his name in the measurement of electric potential called the volt.
The little Parthian jar found in ancient Western Iranian territories of Greater Iran (now Iraq), suggests that Volta didn't invent the battery, but reinvented it. The jar was first described by German archaeologist Wilhelm Konig in 1938.  The jar was found in Khujut Rabu just outside modern Baghdad and is composed of a clay jar with a stopper made of asphalt. Sticking through the asphalt is an iron rod surrounded by a copper cylinder. When filled with vinegar - orany other electrolytic solution - the jar produces about 1.5 to 2.0 volts.

The jars are believed to be about 2000 years old from the Parthian period (The third Iranian dynasty ruled roughly 248 BCE to 28 April CE 224),  and consist of an earthenware shell, with a stopper composed of asphalt. Sticking through the top of the stopper is an iron rod. Inside the jar the rod is surrounded by a cylinder of copper. Konig thought these things looked like electric batteries and published a paper on the subject in 1940.
World War II prevented immediate follow-up on the jars, but after hostilities ceased, an American, Willard F. M. Gray of the General Electric High Voltage Laboratory in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, built some reproductions. When filled with an electrolyte like grape juice, the devices produced about two volts.

Not all scientists accept the "electric battery" description for the jars. If they were batteries, though, who made them and what were they used for?
Unfortunately, there is no written record as to the exact function of the jar, due to destruction of Iranian literary sources and libraries by Arabs upon invasion of Iranian territories in 7th century, but the best guess is that it was a type of battery.
Scientists believe the batteries (if that is their correct function) were used to electroplate items such as putting a layer of one metal (gold) onto the surface of another (silver), a method still practiced in Greater Iran today.

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 18:31

Unfortunately, there is no written record as to the exact function of the jar, due to destruction of Iranian literary sources and libraries by Arabs upon invasion of Iranian territories in 7th century, but the best guess is that it was a type of battery.
Scientists believe the batteries (if that is their correct function) were used to electroplate items such as putting a layer of one metal (gold) onto the surface of another (silver), a method still practiced in Greater Iran today.

Electroplating is practiced everywhere around the world not just in iran. I find this hard to believe, that they've discovered a battery so early. If they've invented that, this would have been a great achievement. So the arabs were a killer of  great civilisation, if this invention was recorded and someone has exploited them today we would been travelling outside the solar system.

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 20:05
Don't be so doubtful...

The only thing that bothers me is the purpose of them.  Sure, elctroplating.  But surely there must be some other purpose too?  And perhaps the invention didn't spread because it didn't really have that much use back then?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 14:48
i believe that we are just recently figuring out how to make the greek tireme
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 15:35
Originally posted by white dragon

i believe that we are just recently figuring out how to make the greek tireme

Rather trying to find out how the old Greeks built their triremes, which is a completely different matter (archaeology/reverse engineering as opposed to actual invention/engineering).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>