Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis Proof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis Proof
    Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 00:30

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

You know, I may not believe in God, but I'm not against Christianity, just those that are Conservative, those who look for conflict and seem to want to slow the progress of Society and Science. I understand you have a strong belief in your faith, but I honestly hope you can see that both religion and science can work together. Science can explain lets say what your god has created, while your religious practice can bring you closer to him. I find that if a god were to create it's creations with the ability to evolve that he is giving a gift to adapt to any challenges he has created in the universe, this might just be another way for you to look at it.

Very good example on the way we all should look at things 

Science and religion can work together to gain knowledge on our world.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 00:54
Originally posted by arch.buff

Originally posted by Decebal

There's also another thing that puzzles me: Jesus refers to himself as the Son of Man, never as the Son of God. When he talks to God, he calls him Father, but then again isn't God the Father of us all? I think that the early jewish converts saw Jesus as a possible Messiah, but not the son of God. That intrepretation was pushed forward later by Paul.

-Jesus' words were when asked if he was the messiah or the son of God were "It is as you say".

He actually says "that's what you say" or something like that, at least in the oficial Catholic version.

And here is where my half-nun sister admits that it seems like he's clapping the hunch of Peter in a benevolent manner and saying just... nothing.

Anyhow, the scholar I mentioned before, suggests that calling god to priests and simmilar was common among Jews then. After all, Jesus as heir of David was a person that had top ranking among monarchist Jews. The problem is that he also wanted to usurpate the position of Supreme Priest, what bothered other Jews, who saw necessary to keep separated religion and state. Furthermore there were anti-monarchists as well... but that's a long story.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 00:59

"Okay, Buddha... I believe that him being "above" God shouldn't be taken as Buddha somehow being superior to God, only that Buddha spiritually escaped the vicious cycle of the world created by God. So it's a very different way of looking at it."

no, buddists think he is superior to God, period. God is still bound by the illusion world of Samsara, he has pride, desires, intelegence and will. And thats attachment, attachment is ignorance, thats why God thinks he is all mighty when he really isn't, God thinks he knows everything but he don't. BThats why the Bible could only show you this earthly bound world while the Budda can perceive higher dimensions and other universes unknown to the God of this world.

Taoists are just as radical, "When the cynic asks, who created God, the Taoists have the answer: Tao created God. The eternal Tao is so far above a God, it cannot be described as a creature or intelligent designer. A God must plan, must design, must speak or take action to create something. Tao creates just by existing."

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 02:13
You're being a little rash when using the term "God." In the way you're using it, the "God" is something like Zeus or Odin with a definable personality. In this sense, the "God" you're talking about is not the same as the one defined by Christinity. In Christinity, God cannot be something you can analyse with human characteristics. Pride, Desire, intelegence and will are human qualities and do not apply to the Christian "God."

Since I am a Deist, I have a very different view of "god" that's totally unlike your defination of "God".

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 03:18
But Honeybee is right: The JCM God has too much personality, projects... to be truly the essence. One can't approach the JCM God in any of its variants and say: this is an absolute description of the ultimate cause of everything: it is in no contradition with reality. No. JCM God is just another god: it has personality, it's not absolute, total, Tao or however you want to call the ultimate answer to our questions. It's partial and temporal: it has a temporal plan. Why? Because God is not perfect, total, eternal. Else it would not have any plan.

Chinese philosophies (if you don't want to concede them the attribute of religion because they have trascended the concept of God) are closer to truth, at least in this sense.

I make a diference between the Divinity, understood like the source of All, and God, which is just a partiality. Yet, as Pantheist, I prefer to call it Dano, which in Basque would be the All that includes me. It's a neologism of my coinage though (in "real" language exists only in plural danok or denok: we all or all us).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 05:56
Originally posted by El Pollo Loco

And what i said is right Maju, because if I am right then you have hell to pay (literaly) and if you are right then life is worthless and it doesnt matter what I do with my life.

It's not just you and Maju (with all due respect). Maybe the Hindus are right. Maybe the Wiccans are. Maybe the Sikhs or the Ba'hai. Maybe any one of the vast number of differing religious belief systems is right.  Maybe none are.

This is not an either-or situation.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 06:00

I think God created Adam out of dirt (Which is not a big deal because ask NASA, they found that we are made out of the same stuff as dirt)

I can't believe this. What on earth does NASA have to do with the origin of man? And what on earth is 'dirt' supposed to mean?

And, anyway, if NASA is the ultimate authority, why don't you build a religion around NASA rather than Jesus?

And i have the chinese to back that up. The chinese geniology records go back to the very first man:     

What can anyone possibly say to that? Bedlam.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 08:03

Genesis 1 (Amplified Bible)

Genesis 1chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

1IN THE beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth.>>

Ok, so here it begins, right? >>

2The earth was without form and an empty waste, and darkness was upon the face of the very great deep. The Spirit of God was moving (hovering, brooding) over the face of the waters. >>

Where did those came from? From before the beginning? Then the beginning wasnt quite the beginning.>>

3And God said, Let there be light; and there was light.>>

Switch on. >>

4And God saw that the light was good (suitable, pleasant) and He approved it; and God separated the light from the darkness.>>

So darkness was bad? Why separate them if  it was not  so? And since light was good why not just eliminate darkness? What is the purpose of darkness? Does God have only partial control upon the darkness? He didnt seem to have created it. More like they coexisted before the beginning.>>

5And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.>>

Things keep on popping up. What are those? Were there evening and mornings before light? Then there must have been some light. Those things were only potential, waiting for the light to be created so that they could have a meaning? One day could be written one light since day=light. One light=A light. Wheres the cigar?>>

6And God said, Let there be a firmament [the expanse of the sky] in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters [below] from the waters [above].>>

Why, thats confusing! Was gravity already implanted, in order for below and above to mean something? Or something like a referential system? When did this happen? And was there something wrong with the waters in order to separate them? >>

7And God made the firmament [the expanse] and separated the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse. And it was so.>>

Cool! That explains it all!>>

8And God called the firmament Heavens. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.>>

Were the heavens he created in the beginning not worthy of the name? >>

9And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be collected into one place [of standing], and let the dry land appear. And it was so. >>

What is that? When was that created?>>

10God called the dry land Earth, and the accumulated waters He called Seas. And God saw that this was good (fitting, admirable) and He approved it.>>

Was that the earth that He created in the beginning? If not, where did that one go? If yes, why not calling just earth? It couldnt have been mixed up with water, thats mud. Oh, I forgot, mud doesnt exist, it hasnt been created. Well, anyone can create mud now, since theres water and earth. It just need God to let him do it. >>

(..). >>

14And God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be signs and tokens [of God's provident care], and [to mark] seasons, days, and years,>>

So, lights are needed to have light? To separate the Day from the Night? Werent these two already separated before, when light and darkness had been separated? Whats the purpose of  lights, since light already exists, and Day and Night are separated?>>

15And let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light upon the earth. And it was so.>>

Oh, then earth had been kept in darkness until now. Wait a minute! How was that possible? The earth was under the heavens that just got lights a verse ago! So the heavens were into the darkness too? Well, whats going on with that light here? Taking a holyday or what?  >>

16And God made the two great lights--the greater light (the sun) to rule the day and the lesser light (the moon) to rule the night. He also made the stars.>>

Werent the lights He made before enough? And why He mixed light with darkness since in the first day He separated them? Guess He really didnt like the darkness.>>

17And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth,>>

So the lights in verse 15 are in the sky and the new lights are in the heavens. Is there a difference between sky and heavens? >>

18To rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good (fitting, pleasant) and He approved it.>>

If there is light during night then light is not separate from the darkness. I guess that for three days He kept on trying to separate that darkness from what he created and when He realized it just could not be done He gave up. Seems the darkness is far more difficult to handle for God. Waters, on the other hand, seem to be far more docile.>>

()>>

I wont go on with it. I see no reason why. One single page of the Bible and its enough not to take it for granted. Its not logical, or at least incomplete. How am I supposed to believe such a thing, ad literam? I would agree that its metaphoric, but I wont stand for it to be shown to me as evidence, or proof, of the Genesis. >>

Astrophysics is far more difficult to read, the mathematics involved can give someone a nasty headache. Not to mention the cost of the experiments necessary to prove the theories. Still, those theories are solid. There cant be a scientific theory that isnt at least logically sound. The fact that scientific theories have been proven to be false, by experiments, or facts, means that the biblical Genesis, is either false or not a scientific theory. Therefore the Bible, or those parts of the book that are not sustained by facts  (historical, archeological, physical, etc.) are not to be considered scientific theories. Since they are not scientific, to demonstrate them is useless. They are expressions of faith, metaphors, misinterpretations, bad translations or whatever.>>

None of those who dont believe in Genesis feel the urge to find a proof of it. GKII said that he had solid proof of the Genesis, thats how this thread started. Yet he, like his brother, who seems to be in charge of it now, keep on coming with quotes from the holy books. They also seem to automatically reject what others believe if it doesnt fit with their own beliefs. Not to mention the scientific theories. Seems to me like: What I think I dont understand is either wrong or doesnt exist. Or worse: What does not fit with my personal beliefs is either wrong or doesnt exist >>

Quotes from the Bible are turned into facts, the hard work and sacrifice of uncounted men and women who developed science is worthless. Those people, to whom we all own our present life standards, are to rot in Hell. Those who burned them at the stake, persecuted them, refused to help them or just dwelled satisfied with their faith, are supposed to inherit the Heaven, or whatever they call that ultimate happiest place. Priests use cell phones, do they think the Holy Spirit, an angel, or whatever holy creature enables those objects to work? If the Inquisition wouldnt have disappeared would there even be cell phones, or TVs or computers, or this site, holding this forum?>>

Have faith in God, Allah, or any other deity, or Buddha, Confucius, or other someone else. Theres no problem as long as this doesnt lead to the harm of those who not share your faith, or dont have any kind of faith. Let that deity/wise judge their way of living. >>

If ones faith is real and right, he should not feel as if its threaten by what others do, if they contest his faith or dont care about it or have a different faith. He is entitled to defend his faith, no problem with that, but not to see threats in everything that does not fit with his conceptions.>>

Whoo! This post is becoming too long. >>

*There is someone who can tell everything about Genesis: PHIL COLLINS!>>

*the quotes from the Bible were taken from www.biblegateway.com.>>

>

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 09:52

Bravo, Cezar!

I wonder how the christian fundamentalists would explain those passages so that they make sense when taken literally...

By the way, SearchAndDestroy, I believe that El Pollo Loco was referring to me in his accusation of believing that Jesus was a poser. Which sounds harsh, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Boy, am I glad that the Inquisition doesn't exist anymore: I'd be in big trouble right about now....

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 10:01

http://www.buddhistinformation.com/beyond_belief.htm

The purpose of this book is threefold. Firstly it aims to critically examine Christianity and thereby highlight the logical, philosophical and ethical problems in Christian dogma. In doing this I hope to be able to provide Buddhists with facts, which they can use when, Christians attempt to evangelize them. This book should make such encounters more fair, and hopefully also make it more likely that Buddhists will remain Buddhists. As it is, many Buddhists know little of their own religion and nothing about Christianity - which makes it difficult for them to answer the questions Christians ask or to rebut the claims they make.

The second aim of this book is to help any Christians who might read it to understand why some people are not, and never will be, Christians. Hopefully, this understanding will help them to develop an acceptance of and thereby genuine friendship with Buddhists, rather than relating to them only as potential converts. In order to do this, I have raised as many difficult questions as possible and not a few home truths. If it appears sometimes that I have been hard on Christianity, I hope this will not be interpreted as being motivated by malice. I was a Christian for many years and I still retain a fond regard, and even admiration, for some aspects of Christianity. For me, Jesus' teachings were an important step in my becoming a Buddhist and I think I am a better Buddhist as a result. However when Christians claim, as many do with such insistence, that their religion alone is true, then they must be prepared to answer doubts which others might express about their religion.

The third aim of this book is to awaken in Buddhists a deeper appreciation for their own religion. In some Asian countries Buddhism is thought of an out-of-date superstition while Christianity is seen as a religion, which has all the answers. As these countries become more Westernized, Christianity with its "modern" image begins to look increasingly attractive. I think this book will amply demonstrate that Buddhism is able to ask questions of Christianity which it has great difficulties in answering, and at the same time to offer explanations to life's puzzles which make Christian explanations look rather puerile.

Some Buddhists may object to a book like this, believing that such a gentle and tolerant religion as Buddhism should refrain from criticizing other religions. This is certainly not what the Buddha himself taught. In the Maha Parinibbna Sutta he said that his disciples should be able to "Teach the Dhamma, declare it, establish it, expound it, analyze it, make it clear, and be able by means of the Dhamma to refute false teachings that have arisen." Subjecting a point of view to careful scrutiny and criticism has an important part to play in helping to winnow truth from falsehood, so that we can be in a better position to choose between "the two and sixty contending sects." Criticism of another religion only becomes inappropriate when it is based on a deliberate misrepresentation of that religion, or when it descends into an exercise in ridicule and name-calling. I hope I have avoided doing this.

I would like to thank Moses Chan and Paul Teo, two devout Christians and good friends, for the hours of stimulating discussions we had on some of the matters covered in this book. We agree to disagree but remain friends.

CRITIQUE OF CHRISTIAN ARGUMENTS FOR GOD'S EXISTENCE

Christians claim that there is an all-knowing, all-loving God who created and who controls the universe. Several arguments are used to prove this idea. We will examine each of these arguments and give the Buddhist objections to them.

The Authority of the Bible

When asked to prove God's existence, the Christian will often open the Bible and say "The Bible says God exists, so he must." The problem is that if we ask a Hindu, a Muslim, a Sikh or a Jew the same question they too will point to their respective holy books as proof of the existence of their Gods. Why should we believe the Bible but not the holy books of all the other religions? Using the Bible to prove God's existence is only valid if we already accept that it alone contains God's words. However, we have no evidence that this is so. In fact, as we will demonstrate later, there is strong evidence that the Bible is a highly unreliable document.

The Existence of the Universe

In their attempts to prove God's existence, Christians will sometimes say "The universe didn't just happen, someone must have made it and therefore there must be a creator God." There is a major flaw in this argument. When it starts to rain we do not ask "Who is making it rain?" because we know that rain is caused not by someone but by something - natural phenomena like heat, evaporation, precipitation, etc. When we see smooth stones in a river, we do not ask "Who polished those stones?" because we know that the smooth surface of the stones was caused not by someone but by something - natural causes like the abrasive action of water and sand.

All of these things have a cause (or causes) but this need not be a being. It is the same with the universe - it was not brought into being by a God but by natural phenomena like nuclear fission, gravity, inertia, etc. However, even if we believe that a divine being is needed to explain how the universe came into existence, what proof is there that it was the Christian God? Perhaps it was created by the Hindu God, the God of Islam or one of the gods worshipped by tribal religions. After all most religions, not only Christianity claim that their God or gods created the universe.

The Argument from Design

In response to the above refutation, the Christian will maintain that the universe does not merely exist but its existence shows perfect design. There is, a Christian might say, an order and balance which point to its having been designed by a higher intelligence, and that this higher intelligence is God. But as before, there are some problems with this argument.

Firstly, how does the Christian know that it was his God who is behind creation? Perhaps it was the gods of non-Christian religions who designed and created the universe.

Secondly, how does the Christian know that only one God designed everything? In fact, as the universe is so intricate and complex we could expect it to need the intelligence of several, perhaps dozens, of gods to design it. So if anything the argument from design proves that there are many gods, not one as Christians claim.

Next, we would have to ask, is the universe perfectly designed? We must ask this because if a perfect God designed and created the universe, then that universe should be perfect. Let us first look at inanimate phenomena to see whether they show perfect design. Rain gives us pure water to drink but sometimes it rains too much and people lose their lives, their homes and their means of livelihood in floods. At other times it doesn't rain at all and millions die in drought and famine. Is this perfect design? The mountains give us joy as we see them reaching up into the sky. But landslides and volcanic eruptions have for centuries caused havoc and death. Is this perfect design? The gentle breezes cool us but storms and tornadoes repeatedly cause death and destruction. Is this perfect design? These and other natural calamities prove that inanimate phenomena do not exhibit perfect design and therefore that they were not created by a perfect God.

Now let us look at animate phenomena to see whether they reveal perfect design. At a superficial glance, nature seems to be beautiful and harmonious; all creatures are provided for and each has its task to perform. However, as any biologist will confirm, nature is utterly ruthless. To live, each creature has to feed on other creatures and struggle to avoid being eaten by other creatures. In nature, there is no time for pity, love or mercy. If a loving God designed everything, why did such a cruel design result? The animal kingdom is not only imperfect in the ethical sense, it is also imperfect in that it often goes wrong. Every year millions of babies are born with physical or mental disabilities, or are stillborn or die soon after birth. Why would a perfect creator God design such terrible things?

So if there is design in the universe, much of it is faulty and cruel. This would seem to indicate that the universe was not created by a perfect all-loving God.

The First Cause Argument

Christians will sometimes say that everything has a cause that there must be a first cause, and that God is the first cause. This old argument contains its own refutation, for if everything has a first cause then the first cause must also have a cause.

There is another problem with the first cause argument. Logically there is no good reason to assume that everything had a single first cause. Perhaps six, ten or three hundred causes occurring simultaneously caused everything.

Miracles

Christians claim that miracles are sometimes performed in God's name and that the fact that this happens proves that God exists. This is an appealing argument until it is looked at a little more closely.

While Christians are quick to claim that because of their prayers the blind could see, the deaf could hear and crooked limbs were straightened, they are very slow in producing evidence to back up their claims. In fact, some Christians are so anxious to prove that miracles have occurred at their prayer meetings that the truth often gets lost in a flood of wild claims, extravagant boasts, and sometimes even conscious lies.

It is true that things, which are unusual and difficult to explain, do sometimes happen during religious events - but not just for Christians. Hindus, Muslims, Taoists, etc. all claim that their God or gods sometimes perform miracles. Christianity certainly does not have a monopoly on miracles. So, if miracles performed in God's name prove the existence of the Christian God, then miracles performed in the name of numerous other gods must likewise prove that they too exist.

Christians may try to overcome this fact by claiming that, when miracles occur in other religions, they are done through the power of the Devil. Perhaps the best way to counter this claim is to quote the Bible. When Jesus healed the sick, his enemies accused him of doing this through the power of the Devil. He answered that healing the sick results in good and if the Devil went around doing good he would destroy himself (Mk 3:22-26). Therefore the same could be said for the miracles performed by Hindus, Jews or Sikhs. If these miracles result in good, how can they be the work of the Devil?

The Argument for God's Necessity

Christians will often claim that only by believing in God will people have the strength to deal with life's problems, and therefore that belief in God is necessary. This claim is apparently supported by numerous books written by Christians who have endured and overcome various crises through the power of God. Some of these books make highly inspiring reading, so the claim that one can cope with problems only with God's help sounds rather convincing - until we look a little more deeply.

If this claim is true, we would expect most of the non-Christian people of the world to lead lives of emotional distress, confusion and hopelessness while most Christians through their faith in God would be able to unfailingly deal with their problems and to never need to seek help from counselors or psychiatrists. It is clear, however, that people from non-Christian religions and even those with no religion are just as capable of dealing with life's crises as Christians are - sometimes even better. It is also sometimes the case that people who are devout Christians lose their faith in God after being confronted with serious personal problems. Consequently, the claim that belief in God is necessary to cope with and overcome problems is baseless.

The "Try and Disprove" Argument

When Christians find they cannot prove God's existence with doubtful facts or logic, they may switch tactics and say "Perhaps it can't be proved that God exists, but neither can you disprove it". This of course is quite true. You cannot prove that God doesn't exist - but neither can you prove that the gods of Taoism, Hinduism and a dozen other religions do not exist. In other words, despite all the hyperbole, the extravagant claims and the confident proclamations, there is no more evidence for the existence of the Christian God than there is for the gods worshipped in other religions.

The Testimony

After everything else has failed, the Christian may finally try to convince us that God exists by appealing to the emotions. Such a person will say, perhaps quite truthfully, "I used to be unhappy and discontented but after giving myself to God I am happy and at peace with myself." Such testimonies can be deeply moving, but what do they prove? There are millions of people whose lives became equally happy and meaningful after they embraced Buddhism, Hinduism or Islam. Likewise, there are no doubt many people whose lives have not changed for the better after they became Christians - the same weaknesses and problems sometimes remain. So this argument, like all the others, does not prove the existence of the Christian God.

honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 10:06

"You're being a little rash when using the term "God." In the way you're using it, the "God" is something like Zeus or Odin with a definable personality. In this sense, the "God" you're talking about is not the same as the one defined by Christinity. In Christinity, God cannot be something you can analyse with human characteristics. Pride, Desire, intelegence and will are human qualities and do not apply to the Christian "God."

Since I am a Deist, I have a very different view of "god" that's totally unlike your defination of "God"."

Thats not what the Bible says,

What does God look like? The Bible says that God created man in his own image (Gen 1:26) so from this we can assume God looks something like a human being. The Bible tells us that God has hands (Ex 15:12), arms (Deut 11:2), fingers (Ps 8:3) and a face (Deut 13:17). He does not like people seeing his face but he doesn't mind if they see his back.

And I will take away my hands and you will see my back parts but my face you shall not see (Ex 33:23).

However, although God seems to have a human body he does at the same time look not unlike the demons and fierce guardians one often sees in Indian and Chinese temples. For example, he has flames coming out of his body.

A fire issues from his presence and burns his enemies on every side (Ps 97:3).

Our God comes and shall not keep silent, before him a fire burns and around him fierce storms rage (Ps 50:3).

Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the Lord, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the Lord burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp (Num 11:1).

When God is angry, which seems to be quite often, smoke and fire come out of his body.

The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook, they trembled because he was angry. Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it (Ps 18:7-8).

When the prophet Ezekiel saw God and his attendant angels, he described them as looking like this.

On the fifth of the month - it was the fifth year of the exile of King Jehoiachin - the word of the Lord came to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, by the Kebar River in the land of the Babylonians. There the hand of the Lord was upon him.

I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north - an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was that of a man, but each of them had four faces and four wings. Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. Under their wings on their four sides they had the hands of a man. All four of them had faces and wings, and their wings touched one another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle. Such were their faces. Their wings were spread out upward; each had two wings, one touching the wing of another creature on either side, and two wings covering its body.

Each one went straight ahead. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, without turning as they went. The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it. The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.

As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like chrysolite, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel (Ezek 1:4-21).

Christians often look at the many-armed and fierce-faced gods in Hindu and Taoist temples and claim that they are devils rather than gods - but as the Bible makes clear the Christian God is very similar in appearance to these. Furthermore, just as Hindu and Taoist gods carry various weapons so too does the Christian God.

In that day the Lord will punish with his sword, his fierce, great and powerful sword (Is 27:1).

The sun and moon stood still in the heavens at the glint of your flying arrows, at the lightning of your flashing spear. In wrath you strode through the earth and in your anger you threshed the nations (Haba 3:11-12).

The Lord thundered from heaven, the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot his arrows and scattered the enemies (Ps 18:13-14).

But God will shoot them with arrows, suddenly they will be struck down (Ps 64:7).

Then the Lord will appear over them, his arrows will flash like lightning. The sovereign Lord will sound the trumpet (Zech 9:14).

Another interesting way in which God's appearance resembles that of non-Christian idols is in how he travels. The Bible tells us that God gets from one place to another either by sitting on a cloud (Is 19:1) or riding on the back of an angel (Ps 18:10). It is obvious from these quotes that God has a savage and frightening appearance; a conclusion verified again by the Bible where people are described as being utterly terrified by God's appearance.

Serve the Lord with fear and trembling, kiss his feet or else he will get angry and you will perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled (Ps 2:11).

Therefore I am terrified at his presence. When I think of him I am in dread of him, God has made my heart faint. The Almighty has terrified me (Job 23:15).

Jesus frequently says that we should fear God (e.g. Lk 12:4-5). The Bible also very correctly says that where there is fear there cannot be love (I Jn 4:18) and so if God creates fear in people it is difficult to know how he can genuinely be loved at the same time.

honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 10:09
The emotion which is associated with God more than any other is jealousy. He even admits that he is jealous.

For the Lord is a devouring fire, a jealous God (Deut 4:24).

Nothing makes God more jealous than people worshipping other gods, and he tells us we must even kill our own children if they do this.

If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, daughter, the wife of your bosom or the friend of your own soul, entices you secretly, saying, "Let us go and serve other gods" which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the people that are around you whether near or far, from one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him, but you shall kill him. Your hand shall be the first against him to kill him and after that the others can strike him (Deut 13:6).

The Bible tells us that God frequently loses his temper.

See, the day of the Lord is coming - a cruel day, with wrath and fierce anger, to make the land desolate and destroy the sinners within it (Is 13:9).

God is angry every day (Ps 7:11).

The Lord will cause men to hear his majestic voice and will make them see his arm coming down with raging anger and consuming fire (Is 30:30).

His anger will burn against you and he will destroy you from the face of the land (Deut 6:15).

God tells us to love but he is described as hating and being filled with abhorrence.

You hate all those who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors (Ps 5:5-6).

He is further described as hating many other things as well as people (see Deut 16:22, Mala 2:16, Lev 26:30). God has a particularly deep hatred for other religions which probably explains why Christianity has always been such an intolerant religion. He is often described as feeling special hatred for those who will not worship him.

Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates (Is 1:14).

Behold, your God will come with vengeance (Is 35:4).

The Lord is avenging and wrathful, the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and holds wrath for his enemies (Nahum 1:2).

For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay", and again, "The Lord will judge his people". It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living god (Heb 10:30-31). (See also Rom 1:8, 2:5-6, 12:19).

What would be the use of worshipping a God who is full of the very mental defilements, which we ourselves are striving to overcome
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 10:55
You're being a little rash when using the term "God." In the way you're using it, the "God" is something like Zeus or Odin with a definable personality. In this sense, the "God" you're talking about is not the same as the one defined by Christinity. In Christinity, God cannot be something you can analyse with human characteristics. Pride, Desire, intelegence and will are human qualities and do not apply to the Christian "God."

Since I am a Deist, I have a very different view of "god" that's totally unlike your defination of "God".

He had Anger and he supposedly has love, is that not emotion? I could also argue that him naming his creations are a form of pride and personality. I mean I'd think of something that that your talking about wouldn't even bother with anything that is lower then him, yet if you follow the bible he's just another cookie cut god that has a different personality.

I think the problem is that since god is a term for a supernatural being and Christians will call their god, God, instead of his name. So now everyone says they believe in"God", yet each may have a different look on him, like you do. Some will say he has no personality and is actually a law of the universe, some will say that he just wants us to live our lives without any law, others will say he is the god of the bible, etc... Everyone has their own look on what god is, yet they each seem to think they are talking about the same one. It's not possible, the problem is that god means a supernatural being, when you call a god God and everyone grows up with that idea it's easy to seperate your own verson and think your talking of the same. Your creating a broad term of one god when in actuallity your just creating a new god to fit your own ideas.

I hope that makes sense, I know what I'm saying in my head anyways, just hope I translated it right...
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 11:03

whatever modern interpretors tries to create a new definition of God, it doesn't change the fact that the ancients view God as a planning intelligent being with personality. If you define God asd a natural law, then why not just call it natural law or logos, or Tao. Why call it God? god as the ancients interpret it has a personality(or why the wrath? the plans? the revelations? he seem to care alot about the world,) thats what separates it from natural law.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 11:48
Originally posted by honeybee

whatever modern interpretors tries to create a new definition of God, it doesn't change the fact that the ancients view God as a planning intelligent being with personality. If you define God asd a natural law, then why not just call it natural law or logos, or Tao. Why call it God? god as the ancients interpret it has a personality(or why the wrath? the plans? the revelations? he seem to care alot about the world,) thats what separates it from natural law.

Where do we get from here?

If God/whatever, exists, then it is only a problem of interpretation. If all believers/faithful would come to an agreement then what happens to those who still don't have any faith. They would be wrong!

If God/whatever does not exists, then all those who believe/have faith are wrong. Only the atheists remain to be correct.

Does Buddhism offer a better answer than Christianity/other religion or than science?

Is science something that could replace religions or para-religions (confucianism, taoism or whatever alike)? Or is this a purpose of those who embrace only science?

What does Buddhism say about Genesis? 

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 11:50
Originally posted by to honeybee

Because the name God has become fashionable. I think Maju said that Yaveh is one of 100 names of the Abrahamic god, yet calling him God seems to make him more believable because unlike Pagan gods who had a name, god is GOD. So for some reason people think because we call him the species he is that makes him more real. Thats the human mind for you, easy to trick, easy to program, and easy to convince.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 13:52
Originally posted by Decebal

Boy, am I glad that the Inquisition doesn't exist anymore: I'd be in big trouble right about now....

The Inquisition exists! It has just took a smoother shape! You know it, you've read the posts on these threads!

G! Does that means that Inquisition evolved ?

El Pollo Loco View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 13:58

Genesis 1 (Amplified Bible)

Genesis 1chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

1IN THE beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth.>>

Ok, so here it begins, right? >>

2The earth was without form and an empty waste, and darkness was upon the face of the very great deep. The Spirit of God was moving (hovering, brooding) over the face of the waters. >>

Where did those came from? From before the beginning? Then the beginning wasnt quite the beginning.>>

3And God said, Let there be light; and there was light.>>

Switch on. >>

4And God saw that the light was good (suitable, pleasant) and He approved it; and God separated the light from the darkness.>>

So darkness was bad? Why separate them if  it was not  so? And since light was good why not just eliminate darkness? What is the purpose of darkness? Does God have only partial control upon the darkness? He didnt seem to have created it. More like they coexisted before the beginning.>>

5And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.>>

Things keep on popping up. What are those? Were there evening and mornings before light? Then there must have been some light. Those things were only potential, waiting for the light to be created so that they could have a meaning? One day could be written one light since day=light. One light=A light. Wheres the cigar?>>

6And God said, Let there be a firmament [the expanse of the sky] in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters [below] from the waters [above].>>

Why, thats confusing! Was gravity already implanted, in order for below and above to mean something? Or something like a referential system? When did this happen? And was there something wrong with the waters in order to separate them? >>

7And God made the firmament [the expanse] and separated the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse. And it was so.>>

Cool! That explains it all!>>

8And God called the firmament Heavens. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.>>

Were the heavens he created in the beginning not worthy of the name? >>

9And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be collected into one place [of standing], and let the dry land appear. And it was so. >>

What is that? When was that created?>>

10God called the dry land Earth, and the accumulated waters He called Seas. And God saw that this was good (fitting, admirable) and He approved it.>>

Was that the earth that He created in the beginning? If not, where did that one go? If yes, why not calling just earth? It couldnt have been mixed up with water, thats mud. Oh, I forgot, mud doesnt exist, it hasnt been created. Well, anyone can create mud now, since theres water and earth. It just need God to let him do it. >>

(..). >>

14And God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be signs and tokens [of God's provident care], and [to mark] seasons, days, and years,>>

So, lights are needed to have light? To separate the Day from the Night? Werent these two already separated before, when light and darkness had been separated? Whats the purpose of  lights, since light already exists, and Day and Night are separated?>>

15And let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light upon the earth. And it was so.>>

Oh, then earth had been kept in darkness until now. Wait a minute! How was that possible? The earth was under the heavens that just got lights a verse ago! So the heavens were into the darkness too? Well, whats going on with that light here? Taking a holyday or what?  >>

16And God made the two great lights--the greater light (the sun) to rule the day and the lesser light (the moon) to rule the night. He also made the stars.>>

Werent the lights He made before enough? And why He mixed light with darkness since in the first day He separated them? Guess He really didnt like the darkness.>>

17And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth,>>

So the lights in verse 15 are in the sky and the new lights are in the heavens. Is there a difference between sky and heavens? >>

18To rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good (fitting, pleasant) and He approved it.>>

If there is light during night then light is not separate from the darkness. I guess that for three days He kept on trying to separate that darkness from what he created and when He realized it just could not be done He gave up. Seems the darkness is far more difficult to handle for God. Waters, on the other hand, seem to be far more docile.>>

()>>

I wont go on with it. I see no reason why. One single page of the Bible and its enough not to take it for granted. Its not logical, or at least incomplete. How am I supposed to believe such a thing, ad literam? I would agree that its metaphoric, but I wont stand for it to be shown to me as evidence, or proof, of the Genesis. >>

Astrophysics is far more difficult to read, the mathematics involved can give someone a nasty headache. Not to mention the cost of the experiments necessary to prove the theories. Still, those theories are solid. There cant be a scientific theory that isnt at least logically sound. The fact that scientific theories have been proven to be false, by experiments, or facts, means that the biblical Genesis, is either false or not a scientific theory. Therefore the Bible, or those parts of the book that are not sustained by facts  (historical, archeological, physical, etc.) are not to be considered scientific theories. Since they are not scientific, to demonstrate them is useless. They are expressions of faith, metaphors, misinterpretations, bad translations or whatever.>>

None of those who dont believe in Genesis feel the urge to find a proof of it. GKII said that he had solid proof of the Genesis, thats how this thread started. Yet he, like his brother, who seems to be in charge of it now, keep on coming with quotes from the holy books. They also seem to automatically reject what others believe if it doesnt fit with their own beliefs. Not to mention the scientific theories. Seems to me like: What I think I dont understand is either wrong or doesnt exist. Or worse: What does not fit with my personal beliefs is either wrong or doesnt exist >>

Quotes from the Bible are turned into facts, the hard work and sacrifice of uncounted men and women who developed science is worthless. Those people, to whom we all own our present life standards, are to rot in Hell. Those who burned them at the stake, persecuted them, refused to help them or just dwelled satisfied with their faith, are supposed to inherit the Heaven, or whatever they call that ultimate happiest place. Priests use cell phones, do they think the Holy Spirit, an angel, or whatever holy creature enables those objects to work? If the Inquisition wouldnt have disappeared would there even be cell phones, or TVs or computers, or this site, holding this forum?>>

Have faith in God, Allah, or any other deity, or Buddha, Confucius, or other someone else. Theres no problem as long as this doesnt lead to the harm of those who not share your faith, or dont have any kind of faith. Let that deity/wise judge their way of living. >>

If ones faith is real and right, he should not feel as if its threaten by what others do, if they contest his faith or dont care about it or have a different faith. He is entitled to defend his faith, no problem with that, but not to see threats in everything that does not fit with his conceptions.>>

Whoo! This post is becoming too long. >>

*There is someone who can tell everything about Genesis: PHIL COLLINS!>>

*the quotes from the Bible were taken from www.biblegateway.com.>>

Ok you used something other than KJV so...

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.  

And it does make sence to me.

1 God created the heavens and the earth first. Thats where the waters came from

2. God is creative. That is why he seperated the darkness and the light. And it said nothing about the darkness being bad.

3. It was writen so people in that time could understand. thats why it says evning and morning.

4 and who says it was the sky? or why cant it be clouds? Or even the water canopy Idea? that would explain the flood.

5. There are 3 heavens in the bible. the first is the sky. like clouds and stuff. this is probably the heaven they are

9 & 10. If the earth were a perfect sphere (with the exact same mass of earth and water) then the world would be covered in 1 mile deep water. That means that he must have shaped it. Like made the earth rise above the water.

14, 15 & 16. He created light but hadnt put it to use.

17. In the KJV it says heavens in verse 15

18. like i said, God is creative. He is not boring, and dull. He has a sence of creativity. Far more than any human.

Realy you should learn hebrew as a second language. Then you can go around throwing acusations of the Bible not being logical. In Hebrew of course

And the best way to prove the Bible is right or wrong is...

WITH THE BIBLE!!!

spicificaly prophecies

I do not feel threatened by other faiths. Why should i? What i am woried about are the people in those other faiths. They are in a lot of trouble if i am right in what i belive.

and what dont you get?! The bible is not against science. It is against evolution. Dont try to change the subject and dont tell me the bible will fit in with evolution. I will not belive it so you would be wasting your time.

And George Washington claimed to see an angle and Darwin became a christian in his last years. George Washington "cannot tell a lie" and Darwin was the founder of modern evolution. I have enough evidence to prove it (the darwin thing) if anyone wants it. Just tell me

You say that the New Testament was made to look like Jesus fulfilled the prophecies. That is a very bad argument. I could say that men have never walked on the moon. and i have a like

100th hand-acount. It is entirely uncredible because i dont have first hand acount. Or i can say that Cyrus never conquered Babylon. I dont have a firsts hand acount so it has no credibility. And someone said noahs ark was a hoax (I cant remember who). Can you tell me where you found that out? And about jerhico. Did you know that the walls looked like they fell backwards. (How could that be? My 5th grade history book says that seige weapons were not invented until Alexander the great. Of course it is clearly not credible because it is from a christian perspective)

And Imporator Invictus said that 1/10 of the stuff about jesus is true. I am sure this includes the some of prophesees. More than 8 for sure.

Edited by El Pollo Loco
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 14:00

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Arthur C. Clarke - "3001 The final Odyssey"

"What is the difference between Deists and Theists?

Well, to take it to the bottom, it's like this:

Deists believe that there is only one God

Theists believe that there is no more than one God"

I'm not sure if I quoted Arthur correctly but I will check the book and correct it tommorrow, if I'm mistaken.  It's in Romanian and it is/would be only a retranslation.

So, what's a Deist?

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 14:21

Realy you should learn hebrew as a second language. Then you can go around throwing acusations of the Bible not being logical. In Hebrew of course

Wanna fight only on logic? You're on!

Oh, btw, no offense meant, can you handle logic so that everyone accept the way you handle it or is it just "your" logic? If that's so, can you post what that means so that I can cope with it?

For the sake of it think about "my logic". Does it look OK to you?

*What about Phill. Haven't you contacted him?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>