Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2nd Gulf War, Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Why did the USA attack Iraq?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [18.42%]
1 [1.32%]
50 [65.79%]
11 [14.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 2nd Gulf War, Why?
    Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 16:58
Originally posted by Decebal

Originally posted by Thegeneral

Ah, now Decibel, I never said we were not imperialistic.  However, I think somethings can be considered imperialistic and some are not imperialistic.  The Indian removal was imperialistic, as it was for land.  However, if I am not mistake, when Texas, on its own, became free, America did not want it because of fears of a war with Mexico.  Many of those lands chose to be American.

Do you know how New Mexico, California, Arizona and Nevada came to be in the posession of the Americans? The Americans wanted to buy them at first, and the Mexicans refused. The border between Texas and Mexico was at the Nueces river. The Americans said that it should be at the Rio Grande instead, so president Polk sent troops to occupy the region between the 2 rivers. The Mexicans interpreted this rightly as an act of war, since the Americans occupied territory that was Mexican. In this case, America provoked the war with Mexico. If you will read about deliberations in Congress between 1841 and 1846, you will see that the majority saw a war with Mexico as inevitable, and most of them, especially Southerners desired it.

In the case of Texas, yes it did join America out of the will of its citizens. But that was only because most Texans were by that time immigrants from the United States. One could argue that the acquisition of Texas was also imperialistic, even if it was non-violent. The United States government knew it was just a matter of time before Texas would join them, due to its ethnic composition.

Now, we were talking about was it for oil and resources.  No, I do not believe it is.  It still does not make sense that we went for oil.  Yes, it was for many things, including terrorists and Iraq being a threat.  But yes, I also agree it was more than that.  I will not, though, agree it was for oil!

You said that the war was for democracy. I enumerated the other reasons, the most important of which was oil.

Iraq wasn't really a threat, not more so than Iran, North Korea or Cuba for that matter. It was not friendly to the United States, that much is true, but it was far from being a real threat to the US. As for terrorists, there were no links between Al-Qaeda and Iraq. Bush couldn't however deal effectively with Al-Qaeda, so he instead shifted the attention of the American people to Iraq and established a link between the two in the minds of the American people. That is the only connection with terrorists.

Look, I don't mean to sound condescending here, but I was quite shocked at your statement that oil is not vital to US economy and security. I don't expect someone who doesn't understand just how important oil is for America, to clearly see the critical role of oil in the start of the 2nd Gulf War.  

By the way, my avatar's name is Decebal, not Decibel. He was the last Dacian king, if you were curious to know where the name comes from.

I do not believe oil is vital to security.  I said I did not understand how that was so.  Could you explain?  It is important to our economy, but the world, and America, can survive without it, making it not vital.  Food and water are vital, not neccessarily oil.

Now, Iraq;  I did not say they had connections with Al-Quida.  I said they were terrorists.  That is that.

I do not mind if you believe, for whatever reason, that oil was part of the reason.  But it was not the main factor.  Even if the main factor was Bush could not find Bin Laden, that I coudl believe.  I can not believe it was mainly for oil though.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 20:40

I copied down what I put in the last post about oil, and I will expand on it. So, how do people get to work, especially in American cities which are sprawled? How do many homes get heated? How do you think food gets to the supermarket? The house in which you live in is built with materials transported in trucks that run on gasoline. The clothes you wear may be made out of synthetic materials, like microfiber, polyester, acrylic, nylon (which all come out of oil by-products). The price of everything depends on oil. Without oil, the economy grinds to a halt. Without oil, America would enter a depression which would make 1929 seem like a bull market. The world has changed tremendously since it didn't use oil (that is about 1910). We could not live without it, at least not the lifestyle that we are accustomed to. Perhaps in 30 years, when alternative sources of energy become more available and cheaper, but not now.

Let's pretend that the world oil prices go up by 30%, which could easily happen if say there was unrest in Saudi Arabia like there was in Iran 25 years ago. That means that the price of gasoline would go up by 1-2 dollars per gallon. All of a sudden many agricultural businesses, which have slim profit margins, and use equipment such as trucks and tractors that run on gasoline, would become unprofitable and would go bankrupt. The price of most consumer goods would go up, as a result of increased transport costs. Car manufacturers would have dipping sales, many trucking companies might go bankrupt, or at least increase their charges, etc. etc. In short, this would result in a dramatic recession, if not a depression. Such a scenario could cost the US economy trillions of dollars. This means hundreds of billions of dollars less in taxes, which means much less funding for the American army, or more borrowing from abroad (if they can find lendors in such a scenario, given the current borrowing habits of the US)

As for security, aside from the much reduced funding for the military forces, how do you think the tanks, airplanes, most ships, cruise missiles, jeeps, APC's, etc. run? On air or water? The US army is crucially dependent on oil, just like about every other army on earth. Yes, the US has strategic oil reserves, but those only last for so long, and most of them would probably be used to jumpstart the economy.  Once the US strategic oil reserves are depleted, their capability of making war is greatly reduced. If a hostile nation with access to oil, such as Iran starts posing a threat, the ability of the US to make war is more limited and increasingly expensive. Getting all those planes off the ground costs a lot of money in fuel; supply problems could mean that planes may not get off the ground at all. Some American ships are nuclear, but most are not: they run on oil.

And how do you think the population will react to a government under which the price of everything has gone up, an economic depression occured, and who may get embroiled in an increasingly costly war? Vote them out, most likely. And this is what politicians fear most of all.

In short, oil is vital because the world has built its economy, and its infrastructure on it. To a heroin addict, heroin is just as vital as water or air. Sure, he has lived without it before, and may even get to live without it again. But that period during which he goes into withdrawal is not going to be pretty, and he dreads it more than anything in the world.

As for terrorists, how exactly were the Iraqis terrorists? If you're going to give me the whole "Saddam bombed his own people" argument, keep in mind that he did indeed bomb Kurds in 1986, but that was when he was a US ally, and when the US was supplying him with weapons. Can you come up with another reason why the Iraqis should be considered terrorists?  I'd like to hear it. Oh, and make sure it's before the insurrection: the current acts of terrorism are simply meant to drive the Americans out and wouldn't have happened if the Americans hadn't invaded.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 09:00
In situations like this I think Occam's Razor is the best tool to select an option. Which leads me to oil as the reason for which USA attacked Iraq.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 14:58

Oil is very important, however it is not vital.  Vital, by definition mean neccessary to the continuation of life.  If we did not have oil, we would simply either find another fuel, or go about living as we did without oil.  Oil is very importan, I will give you that, but not vital.

The same goes for the army.  If oil prcies went up, do you think the army would just halt everything?  Not likely.  They would increase spending to the army.  Again, it is not vital to our army.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 15:03

I'm still online for about half an hour so the general should tell me what if there is no oil what his armies would do?.

And what about "Oil" as the thing that explains it all. Isn't that enough?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 16:42
Oh, I should tell you huh?  There are other forms of fuel out there, and besides, oil is not going anywhere in our life time.  I believe they said if we doubled our consumption, it would be gone for our grandkids.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 16:58

Oil is very important, however it is not vital.  Vital, by definition mean neccessary to the continuation of life.  If we did not have oil, we would simply either find another fuel, or go about living as we did without oil.  Oil is very importan, I will give you that, but not vital.

The modern infrastructure that supports over 6 billion people in the world is dependent on oil. As Decebal has said, without oil we wouldn't have enough food, or be able to transport it to where it is needed. Oil fired power plants also provide power in many countries and oil is converted into many products that we consider essential today.

As for finding another fuel there is nothing that is as readily available as oil or as abundant. It's likely that things like solar power and geo-thermal will replace fossil fuels but that takes time. As it stands now we have no choice but to be held over the oil barrel.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 17:55
I think much of the world is dependant on the oil, but look at Africa, more specifically, the poorer areas.  They do not have enough for oil, yet they survive.  People 500 years ago lived without oil, so therefore, it is not vital, it is important.  That is what I am trying to stress. You guys make it sound like the world will end without oil.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 18:36
The world would'nt end without oil, but the current social structure would. That's why people like George Bush, Dick Chenny, etc... put such importance on "Black Gold". They have the most to lose. As you point out, people in the less developed area of the world have the least to lose when it comes to the benefits that oil provides. 

Edited by DukeC
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 19:41
I beg to differ that Bush and Cheney have the most to lose.  They would not lose as much as the common man.  They are already wealthy.  It would hurt the regular civilian more than the politicians.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 19:51

I beg to differ that Bush and Cheney have the most to lose.  They would not lose as much as the common man.  They are already wealthy.  It would hurt the regular civilian more than the politicians.

It would the whole society upside down. Without oil Bush & co. would not only lose money, but also their power.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 08:58
Yes, but, as all of humanity, Bush and Co. would survive, just minus a few millions for Bush.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 10:31

All of humanity would not necessarily survive, you see. Oil is needed to bring food to the market, to produce food in the first place due to the predominance of mechanized agriculture, and to heat homes in colder climates. The way our society is structured, if oil was abruptly unavailable, it would produce a lot of hardship, including death.

Anyway, we're simply arguing over semantics and hypothetical situations here. What matters is that oil is important enough to go to war over it. And, as oil men, people who have spent most of their adult lives dealing with oil, Bush and Cheney would be the first to recognize that.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 10:54
I believe oil would be important to Bush and Cheney, but if it is, why would they not have the oil now? Gas was 3$ a gallon, where was Iraqs oil then?  In Iraq.  That makes me believe, that after two years of war, we are not there for oil.  If we were, we'd have it already.  And I seriously doubt it is just to "throw us off".
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 11:08

If you had been following the news closely (or had read carefully all the posts on this topic), you would have had your answer. The Iraqi insurgents and some terrorists have attacked oil pipelines, oil wells and supply lines. As a result, the Iraqi oil production is now lower than it was before the war.

The thing is that Bush and Cheney and their entourage and think-tanks did not anticipate the insurgency.  If you will remember, they were expecting Iraqis to greet them with flowers as liberators. Before the war, Bush was predicting that the Iraqi reconstruction would pay for itself, because of Iraq's oil production.

In addition to this, the global oil demand has increased in the last couple of years, due the continuing economic development in countries such as India and China. So the oil price has increased as a result of greater demand, and lower supply.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 11:28

You are right, the insurgents have attacked the pipelines, but do you think America would just take oil from the Iraqis, causing a sure fire war?  I do not.  The Iraqis DID welcome us with flowers, it was the insurgents who did not.

I am not sure how much global demand has risen, but Americas demands have stayed the same since the spring.  And in the spring, gas was 3$ a gallon, but now, with the same demand, it is only 2.30$ or so.  This means gas companies were gouging us.  But that is not the point of this discussion.

The current problem witht he Iraqi constitution is the distribution of oil funds.  And, if you'll notice, America is not included in this.  Bush said Iraq would pay for itself because when Iraq becomes fully operational again, gas prices will most likely drop considerably.  That is what he was talking about, not us taking oil or them giving us free oil, just the drop of prices of oil.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 13:25

You misunderstand, I never talked about the Americans simply going in and taking the oil. I'm talking about them doing the same thing as in Saudi Arabia: American companies (Exxon, Texaco, Unocal, etc.), employing local Iraqi (or Saudi) employees, except for the managers and consultants, who are American. They also use drilling and exploitation equipment made by Americans (Halliburton, Bechtel). I believe that right now in Saudi Arabia, the Saudis take 30% of all the revenues generated from the exploitation and sale of oil from Saudi oilfields. The rest goes to the companies which do the actual extraction, and those which do the refining. This is a setup which is common in most oil-producing countries.

Now, before the war, it was Iraqi state companies, along with French (ELF) and Russian oil companies which were doing the oil exploitation in Iraq. This is one of the main reasons why the French were opposed to the Americans invading Iraq.

So you see, it's not a matter of the Americans going in and simply taking the Iraqi oil. The Iraqis do make money out of this, just as they did before. What matters is that it's American companies who now get the lucrative opportunity to extract and refine the Iraqi oil, and in the end it is American companies who sell that oil. They are the ones making the profits and they are the ones making the decisions as to whom that oil is sold. So in the end that money gets funneled in the American economy (and of course in the pockets of all those oil executives), and the Americans can rely on American companies selling enough of a share of the Iraqi oil, to ensure American needs are met. Those oil executives are often good friends or even business partners of politicians, who depend on them for campaign contributions. Many politicians, such as Dick Cheney, have millions invested in firms such as Halliburton, who get big fat contracts for providing equipment and services to oil firms in Iraq (along with contracts for supplying the army).

Napoleon Bonaparte

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 14:18

Ok, so you are saying we aren't going to take oil, we are just going to be doing the digging and keeping the profits after being sold to America.  That would make sense why France and Russia did not want us to go into Iraq.

Ok, but I still do not believe that would be what is done in there.  I think American companies, if they enter Iraq at all, will not be able to do the same thing like in Saudi Arabia.  I think the Iraqi government is trying to set up a way to spread the revenues out throughout Iraq, again, we are not in that plan. 

But I think we are really going to have to wait and see.  For now, we are both just guesing what the future will hold.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 15:31

Ok, so you are saying we aren't going to take oil, we are just going to be doing the digging and keeping the profits after being sold to America.  That would make sense why France and Russia did not want us to go into Iraq.

Ok, but I still do not believe that would be what is done in there.  I think American companies, if they enter Iraq at all, will not be able to do the same thing like in Saudi Arabia.  I think the Iraqi government is trying to set up a way to spread the revenues out throughout Iraq, again, we are not in that plan. 

I believe that they are talking about the revenues that Iraq gets (that 30% or whatever it is), after the oil companies take their share. That is still a considerable sum, in the billions of $/ year. In 1999, Iraq produced 2.5 million barrels/day (which was reduced to 1.5 million in 2004). In 1990, it was producing 3.5 million barrels a day. At 1999 levels, which are normal, and with oil at $50/barrel, that means $125 million/day worth of oil would be exploited in Iraq, out of which Iraq might get $45 million per day. That means $28.5 billion per year. Of course the oil companies would be making more than twice that in revenues, since they have a larger share, and since they get to add on some profit margins on the oil refining and transportation. 

Now granted, Iraq does have its own oil companies, and there are other non-American oil companies in Iraq. But even then, American companies can make billions of dollars every year in Iraq.

You can get some numbers on oil production here: http://www.gravmag.com/oil.html#producers

Check out what they say in this site. Note that this is not just any organization: GPF (Global Policy Fund) is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization, with consultative status at the UN.

Iraq has the worlds second largest proven oil reserves. According to oil industry experts, new exploration will probably raise Iraqs reserves to 200+ billion barrels of high-grade crude, extraordinarily cheap to produce. The four giant firms located in the US and the UK have been keen to get back into Iraq, from which they were excluded with the nationalization of 1972. During the final years of the Saddam era, they envied companies from France, Russia, China, and elsewhere, who had obtained major contracts. But UN sanctions (kept in place by the US and the UK) kept those contracts inoperable. Since the invasion and occupation of Iraq in 2003, everything has changed. In the new setting, with Washington running the show, "friendly" companies expect to gain most of the lucrative oil deals that will be worth hundreds of billions of dollars in profits in the coming decades. The new Iraqi constitution of 2005, greatly influenced by US advisors, contains language that guarantees a major role for foreign companies. Negotiators hope soon to complete deals on Production Sharing Agreements that will give the companies control over dozens of fields, including the fabled super-giant Majnoon, but no contracts can be signed until after elections, when a new government takes office. While regional governments angle for influence over the foreign oil contracts, most Iraqis favor continued control by a national company and the powerful oil workers union opposes de-nationalization. Iraq's political future is very much in flux, but oil remains the central feature of the political landscape.

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/oil/irqindx.htm

Napoleon Bonaparte

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 15:43

Yes, I understand what you are saying.  Once Iraq is secured, American companies will, supposedly, come in and take over the oil companies and pipelines.  That sounds possible, but so does Iraq keeping us out.  I would imagine the Iraqis know this and can keep us out if they want to later on.

However, we are still guestimating on what will happen in Iraq.  Let us wait for history to tell us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>