Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Castles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castles
    Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 12:34
Originally posted by JiNanRen

A wonderful fortress JiNanRen, very very impressive NW frontier?

Originally posted by Land of Aryan

Bam

I'm sure, the Thousand Nights and one Night must borned here. How are the reconstruction works advancing??

Originally posted by amir khan

Mehargahr Fortress
Man, is this the Temple of Doom, of Indiana Jones? It is very similar.

Castles of Spain

El Alczar de Segovia

El Alczar de Toledo

Las Murallas de vila (The Walls of vila)

Las Murallas romanas de Lugo (The Roman Walls of Lugo)

Castillo de Coca

El Castillo templario de Ponferrada (Templar Castle of Ponferrada)

Castillo de Mota

Castle of Calatrava la Nueva:

Edited by Ikki
Cyprus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cyprus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 07:52
This is a Romantic ruin of castle near my home city(Beclav in Czech republic). It is called Janv hrad(shortly Janohrad) which means Johns castle..it was built by the order of prince John of Lichtenstein.

Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 05:07

I want to write here about Lithuanian, Belarusian castles (you know Belarus was also part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, so there are some castles of Lithuanians)

1. Medininkai castle:

One of the biggest castle in Lithuania. This memorial of culture was attachmented to ring-fence type of castles. In historiography this castle is datable on XIII-XIV century.

Architecture: The main accent of castle is donjon. Donjon needed to defend gates and bridge. According J. Meko tower was about 30 metres tall.

Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.
Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 05:11

2. Trakai castle

It's my favourite.

Building finished on 1409 years. Was most strongest, and most lofty castle in Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Gothic, brick-field castle built by France example by up-to-the-minute projects.

Guess, you like it

Edited by Svyturys
Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 15:52
Most casltes of Albania are in the Byzantine style. They are generally small since the terrain it is built on is rarely flat. and usually since the terrain is so mountaneous they involve simply a wall to surround the naturally difficult to access area. Thats why it took the ottomans so long to conquer it.

Kruja Castle

Not much left of it, but it goes to show just how heavy the siges were. But there is deep national attachment to it.

Gjirokaster Castle

Berat Castle

Berat, a bastardization of the name Belgrad, the original name of the city given after the Bulgarian conquest became a Byzantine style castle in its later days and because a Ottoman city afterwards. it was unique because it had its own sewer system.

Within it are the remains of numerous churches.

Many more. But pics are hard to find.

Shkoder

Probably one of the most famous castles of Albania is the Venetian castle called Rozafa.

It contained numerous churches, Byzantine and Venetian. The Venetian ones have nearly dissappeared while many of the Byzantine ones were converted into mosques by the Turk

Edited by Theodore Felix
Drunt Ba'adur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drunt Ba'adur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 13:53
An Impressive but useless castle

This is the famous castle of Neuschwanstein. Castles in Disney films were inspired by this one. It was build  by  Ludwig II of Bavaria(during XIX century) who was nearly crazy but also a patron. I would like to visit the castle one day

Cathars castles are also impressive. They are all on the top of the mountains and some of them are really big

EDIT:And I've also forgot Krak des Chaveliers. Impressive

Edited by Drunt Ba'adur
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 01:53
Originally posted by kotumeyil

Citadel of Ankara (my home city). The orange buildings below the picture are brothels

if brothels mean whorehoueses then you are right ...

i actually attend the school right next to it for a year ...

just becouse my dad was the teacher .. not a good neigborhood to live at ....

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 02:37

Yes I know, a poor and tough neighborhood. One of my friends is a teacher at Hac Bayram primary school close to there. She tells me a lot about what's happening there and the life-styles of those people. However I like to walk around there and to see people in their everyday life. Also it's a nice historical place...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 17:30

Rayen Castle - Rayen, Kerman

Built in the same style as the Bam Citadel, but much smaller, the Rayen Castle is located in the small city of Rayen south of Kerman.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 17:42
no images available, try to upload to AE.
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 06:26

Another breathtaking view of Neuschwanstien...

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 20:03

Old Walls over Kabul City

Old Fort in Herat

Ancient Tower of a Destroyed Fort in Ghazni

Bala Hissar, Kabul

Old Castle in Bamyan

Red Fortress in Bamyan

Farah, Afghanistan

Old Watch Tower from Destroyed Castle in Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Ancient Fort in Bamyan

Ancient Castle walls around Balkh (Bactria) - Afghanistan

--

A lot of homes in Afghanistan resemble Castles with watch towers and thick walls:

These are actually peoples Homes, not castles. 

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 15:38
Very nice pictures, and special thanks to Afghanan, I really liked those fantastic pictures that I was looking for since a while. thanks alot.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 17:08

Below are some other pictures from me:

Ruins of Durani Empire's Outposts

Ali Masjid Aerial Map in 1919

Fortress of Herat

Darulaman Palace (Qasr-e-Darulaman), Kabul
(This Palace was established by great Afghan leader Amir Amanullah Khan and was destroyed during civil war in 1992)

Presidential Palace of Afghanistan (Arg-e-Milli Afghanistan), Kabul

The Ghazni Fortress

Menar-e-Jam
An 800 year old landmark of civilisation alone in Afghanistan's Hostile mountain terrain. Traditionally built as "Landmarks of Islam", a minaret's purpose is to povide a vantage point for the mullah to call the Muslim faithful to prayer.  Hidden deep in the mountains of Ghowr province of Afghanistan, this unique monument has survived the ravages of 800 years, which includs the marauding hordes of Genghis Khan and the over 30 years of civil wars.

Arch of Bost (Qala-e-Bost )
It's the remaining parts of an arch in the town of Bost, Bost is the site of the ancient buildings, ramparts and towers of what was once a capital of the Ghaznevid Empire.

Arch of Victory (Taq-e-Zafar), Paghman Kabul
Once Afghans finaly got their independence from Britain in 1919, this monument was created as a sign of Independence.

Edited by Gharanai

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12