Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Understanding the U.S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding the U.S.
    Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 01:31
China will not have much difficulty in securing other markets. APEC is slowly materializing, Pacific-wide trade being a very juicy option for China. Even if the US drops out of that, a number of large trade partners will still reap huge rewards for China.

Why not trade with the EU? Their market is even larger than the US, their combined military spending much more sustainable, their friendship easier to secure, their appetite for China's products just as sustainable.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 07:03

As so often happens, we are getting away from the point of the thread.

Please stay on point so there can be a better understanding of the U.S.A.  Chinese and EU trade policies can be discussed in another thread.

Thanks.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 07:31

Originally posted by hugoestr

It is not explicitly mentioned in the U.S. Constitution, but it is the result once its rules are enforced in a pluralistic society. Think of it as an unintended consequence.

An unintended consequence, yes, but not an inevitable one. What actually happened is that the US states simply copied the British system for Parliamentary elections (though not till 1912 for the Senate). There's no other reason why US elections couldn't follow the French method or the single transferable vote used in Israel (unless they've changed it recently.

The primary hasn't really provided that much variety. From what I understand, it was introduced to prevent back room deals from the party leadership when deciding who was going to become their candidate. The results nows is that in most cases the back room deal is done before the primaries.

If a party movement or current is well organized enough, they can win in the primary, displacing the chosen one. The evangelical right has successfully done so a few times. I am sure that the left did the same back in the late 1960s.

Carter did it in 1976.

I didn't just mean the Presidential primaries, though, but primaries at all levels. Cynthia McKinney ('my' local congresswoman in Georgia) was turfed out in the Democratic primary in 2002, though she got back in in 2004. I like her, but I thought the fact that she could, if democratic voters wanted to, be got rif of was a major improvement on the British system, where candidates are selected by a very few activists.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 11:01
Originally posted by gcle2003

It is not explicitly mentioned in the U.S. Constitution, but it is the result once its rules are enforced in a pluralistic society. Think of it as an unintended consequence.

An unintended consequence, yes, but not an inevitable one. What actually happened is that the US states simply copied the British system for Parliamentary elections (though not till 1912 for the Senate). There's no other reason why US elections couldn't follow the French method or the single transferable vote used in Israel (unless they've changed it recently.

[/qoute]

I think that there are cultural and political reasons why the U.S. will not move to have proportional representation. First, proportional representation is not part of the historical U.S. civic culture. The current system has about 200 years.

Second, people in the right and the left don't want to see fringe parties in Congress. Mention Communist members in Congress to the right or KKK Party seats to the left, and both agree to drop the subject.

But most importantly, voters believe that they are represented more or less well when using the current system. They may complain about the choices, but they don't dislike it enough to organize and push for proportional representation.

The primary hasn't really provided that much variety. From what I understand, it was introduced to prevent back room deals from the party leadership when deciding who was going to become their candidate. The results nows is that in most cases the back room deal is done before the primaries. If a party movement or current is well organized enough, they can win in the primary, displacing the chosen one. The evangelical right has successfully done so a few times. I am sure that the left did the same back in the late 1960s.

Carter did it in 1976.

I didn't just mean the Presidential primaries, though, but primaries at all levels. Cynthia McKinney ('my' local congresswoman in Georgia) was turfed out in the Democratic primary in 2002, though she got back in in 2004. I like her, but I thought the fact that she could, if democratic voters wanted to, be got rif of was a major improvement on the British system, where candidates are selected by a very few activists.

Oh, I wasn't talking about presidential primaries exclusively either. I was thinking about local races too
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 15:35

My next-question is regarding race-relations in the USA.People from all races live n work in the US.It is indeed the biggest n most colorful melting pot in the world.

How much do the people of 'Color' have to adapt themselves to the mainstream 'White Culture'.Is their any glass ceiling for people of color in academics/business etc.Is it a burden for the whites to be always politically correct so as not to offend people of color.How are babies born out of inter-racial marriages viewed/treated by the American society.How many genrations before a person a color is regarded a 'True' American.Would this process of assimilation be faster for a white immigrant.

I have many other questions but I understand limitations of this forum.If possible please provide a table describing racial compsition of US population.

P.S. My intention for joining AE was to discuss things of my interest with like-minded people.On many topics I have entered into flame wars unintentionally.I guess in real life too sometimes people have difficulty understanding my point of view (n I theirs).

I didn't ask this question bcoz I look upto/down on any race.As I said earlier USA is the biggest melting pot of human races in the whole world.I'd just like to increase my awareness.

Jai Badri Vishal
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 15:50

Race is a source of pride and animosity among Americans. But I don't think that it really is that much of a disturbance. Most conflicts have to do with socioeconomics.

Where is that chart anyway?

"Ne oldu sana 
 Ne oldu byle"

(A smidgeon of KatulaKatula lyrics above.)

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 16:46

I had friends and knew people of all different backrounds. I even have family members who are African American, hispanic, and asian. I first best friends were two hispanics and a african american. Two of my ex-g/f's were minorities also. And a friend I have now and known for years is hispanic and I consider him a brother, so I think races mix well in America.

The only thing that bothers me with some African Americans and a whole lot of whites do it too is when they use slangs like ebonix. I don't know why but it just irritates me, I mean what's wrong with the English that is used widely by our population. It's just with the rap culture, so it's not at all limited to one race. Other then that I really have no problems with people.

That's just how I feel and my expierences with race, so maybe it will be a little glimpse of Americans for you.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 16:55

Waz up bro? No Kracker tell me how ta speaks.  Ayyyaaat!

Obviously kidding around with my fellow American. Mostly, I can't understand what is being said by the ebonix users. Oh well.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 17:10

Oh'fo shizzle

You can't understand it because they have different versons of it and they keep changing. Every week they make a new slang word after you finally understand last weeks popular ebonic word of the week. It's hard keeping up with them...

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:45
The main division is white and black. Everything wrong in the country is attributted to Black people. Depending on where you live, you will also find anti-Latin American, anti-Asia, anti-Middle Eastern, or anti-Eastern European sentiments.

Unfortunately Black people are symbolicly linked with the poverty. This blinds Americans from the problems that the poor white people have in the U.S.

Race has been very useful to hide the problems of poverty and lack of opportunity that afflicts a big portion of the U.S. population.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 22:13
hugoestr wrote: "Race has been very useful to hide the problems of poverty and lack of opportunity that afflicts a big portion of the U.S. population."

I totally agree with that statement.

Edited by morticia
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 06:12

Thanx for your responses.

My next question is regarding America's ability to innovate n market the innovations.I believe one of the reasons for American supremacy in the global economy during the past 100 yrs has been the American ability to innovate.Most of the new products have originated in USA n USA has been able to market these innovations very well.

Which factors in the American society promote innovations.Is it the American education system,presence of different races n their mixing,good Industry-University cooperation,USA's ability to attract the best brains from all around the world,the residual spirit of European adventurers who set foot on American shores centuries back.

Which countries in the world are comparable to USA as far as the capability to innovate is concerned n which nations does America see as competitors in the medium n long run.

Jai Badri Vishal
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 06:22
can it be Japan?
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 06:40
Maybe.
Jai Badri Vishal
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 08:19
Jhangora wrote:
"Which countries in the world are comparable to USA as far as the capability to innovate is concerned n which nations does America see as competitors in the medium n long run."

This is the major strenth of the US, i dont think any country actually comes close in innovations and making money of them. Aus for example is very good for its size but hasnt the scale or industry to support it, therefor it sells its ideas to foreigners (I'd imagine many smaller affluent countries would be the same boat)

Nor will Asia beat the USA in innovations any time soon. Japan being technically better than the others, is too insular to innovate things that can sell outside Japan, like who buys robot dogs? rather have an Ipod

AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 11:38

Originally posted by cattus

dems are for self defense and the republicans think everyone should be babied?    Is this correct?

Btw, Bush has turned the GOP into the party of spending.
He hasnt vetoed a single thing put before him.

other way around...sorta..

people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:58

The main division is white and black. Everything wrong in the country is attributted to Black people. Depending on where you live, you will also find anti-Latin American, anti-Asia, anti-Middle Eastern, or anti-Eastern European sentiments.

Unfortunately Black people are symbolicly linked with the poverty. This blinds Americans from the problems that the poor white people have in the U.S.

Race has been very useful to hide the problems of poverty and lack of opportunity that afflicts a big portion of the U.S. population.

-Not true, just recently I read that Hispanics now are more populated than Blacks in the country. But as for the rest of the post...I totally agree.

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 21:18

in regards to the racism issue, i also believe some of it is similar to the situation in some european nations (Britain) in terms of racism relating to immigrants, where the immigrants of different races refuse to assimilate. the racism isn't so much based on purely skin color as it is how "american" a person acts. if someone acts like they are still living in their foreign nation while they are living in America, they are often views as outsiders, aliens. i realize that the assimilation process is extremely difficult and complicated, but immigrants must make an effort to become at least a little more "american" when they make america their new home.

actually, i'm wondering now if racism against immigrants really qualifies as racism at all, but i'll just post my comment anyway

jfmff View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jfmff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 13:37
Helo.

I would like to know what is your press like in USA and
how people perceive the press.
Among other aspects I would like to know if they are
doing a good job as the forth power.
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 11:30

Originally posted by jfmff

Helo.

I would like to know what is your press like in USA and
how people perceive the press.
Among other aspects I would like to know if they are
doing a good job as the forth power.

i dont think they do a good job. its either biased (cough Fox news), or focuses on completely irrelevant news. the typical news night features...

"this thing will give you cancer/make you fat(ter)" "amazing car chase" "water-skiing squirrel"

Edited by Murph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>