Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Understanding the U.S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding the U.S.
    Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:55
Arabs defending Israel? Cosas veredes, meo Cid. (English: you shall see /strange/ things, my Cid).

There are three reasons why USA supports Israel and none of them is what ok Ge posted. Nothing to do with democracy or anything:
  1. The Jewish lobby (which is pro-Zionist) is very strong particularly in the USA.
  2. The USA sees Israel as its best ally in the Near East: a dsiruptive element that can prevent Arabs from any kind of union.
  3. There is a Christian (basically Protestant) ideological current called Christian Zionism that actively promotes the creation of Israel. This current is extremely strong in the USA. See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism
It's all ideological and geostrategical. Don't forget that the Near or Middle East is the most geostrategic region in all Eurasia, not just because of the oil.

Anyhow, who gives the 7 billion bucks to Palestine, the rightful owners of the land?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:59

Originally posted by Maju

Arabs defending Israel? Cosas veredes, meo Cid. (English: you shall see /strange/ things, my Cid).

Actually if you went through the post, you will find my sarcasm

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 16:00
Originally posted by Paul

Why can't Americans pronouce the word 'route' correctly?

The U.S. prestige dialect used to be an older form of those found in England today. Then, during the 20th century, there was a shift into favoring the dialect of the Midwest. In one version of the events, a professor actively advocated for this switch because the form of speech of the Midwesterner was pure and filled with good values. This story may be true, but I find it hard to accept myself.

I rather tend to believe that radio and movies helped spread the Mid-Western accent, which is strongly influeced by Scots-Irish, as the dominant one.

However, if one listen carefully, one can still tell social class depending on the accents that people use. A key feature: higher class accents in the East don't pronounce the final 'r' in words like "butter."
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 16:08

• There is a Christian (basically Protestant) ideological current
    called Christian Zionism that actively promotes the creation of Israel.
    This current is extremely strong in the USA. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism

• These people are in the minority, but they happen to be very well organized and close to the current goverment. My personal experience with Americans dealing with the problems in Palestines are:

a) If they know about the issue and they belong to the left, they side with Palestinians

b)If they know about it and belong to the left, they side with Israel

And the issue is not clear cut with Jewish people either. Most Jewish people that I know strongly dislike how the Israeli government treats Palestinians, but believe that Israel has a right to exist too.

Most people just don't understand what is going on, since it is very complex.

And, to give this proper perspective, this is not a very important issue for most Americans.
    Mila View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar
    Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 16:30
    ^ It's a burning issue here.

And Sarajevo has already made it very clear which side it's on - it's especially acute among those who suffered terribly during the war. Most of the women you see in this photo lost, literally, every male relative they have - fathers, brothers, sons, etc.

The banner reads "54 years of captivity for the Palestinian nation". The Bosnian one behind it reads, "Sarajevo and Srebrenica know what is [happening to] Ramallah."

At the same time Bosnian Muslims, especially Sarajevans, are obscenely protective of local Jews and their heritage. You'll never hear a Bosnian reference the word "Jews" without "our" or "their" in front of it.

They also changed the Sarajevo city sign to offer support:

They also organize a lot of pray-ins...

And harass Muslims who don't believe as they do:

Edited by Mila
    [IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
    Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 17:02

Where are Saddam's WMDs? Why do Americans go around invading countries with false pretenses?

Where are the Iraqi billions which dissappeared under the Bremer's Iraqi occupation government?

If America loves freedom and democracy why does it bankroll oppressive regimes and dictatorships all around the world?

Normally, in any country, the first thing the government sends to a disaster zone is help. Why was the first thing American government sent into New Orleans after Katrina hit was troops with orders to shoot looters? Does American government value rich people's property more than the lives of the poor people?

Why do 5% of Americans own half of American assets and the remaining 95% share the other half (actually not even half)?

hugoestr View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 17:03
    Well, since most Americans don't have their mind made up about this yet, this means that Muslims have an opportunity to persuade Americans into their camp.

Paul View Drop Down
    General
    General
    AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 17:10

Wow! Hugo maybe you should change your handle to Oracle.

Next question, continuing the linguistic theme.

The US government is continually whinging about Asian bootlegers copying movies and music and many other copywrite violations.

Don't Americans think it's about time the US started paying England royalties for the use of the langauge?

Edited by Paul
    Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
    SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 17:32

Where are Saddam's WMDs? Why do Americans go around invading countries with false pretenses?

I don't, ask the Bush adminstration, many of us Americans are still trying to figure that out ourselves. So if you find the answer, do tell.

Where are the Iraqi billions which dissappeared under the Bremer's Iraqi occupation government?

I honestly haven't heard about it. 

If America loves freedom and democracy why does it bankroll oppressive regimes and dictatorships all around the world?

Ofcourse Americans love it, unfortunatly our democracy is really a Republic, so we don't exactly get say in what happens. Also I question if politicians really want freedom since some of them try taking them away.

Normally, in any country, the first thing the government sends to a disaster zone is help. Why was the first thing American government sent into New Orleans after Katrina hit was troops with orders to shoot looters? Does American government value rich people's property more than the lives of the poor people?

They were complaining that they took so long to send down the military, now your saying that they were the first in?

Reason it took so long for supplies is because FEMA wasn't ready, why wasn't it ready I have know idea but I'm sure there is alot of info online.

And I think the politicians would be worried about middle and lower class alittle more then rich people unless they were friends because there are alot more mid and lower class who are potencial votes for the Republicans, but that's just what I think.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
    hugoestr View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 17:32
    Let me answer each of your questions in turn, from the leftist perspective.

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

This is the same question that about half of the population have been asking since the invasion took place. It now appears that the Bush Administration work very hard into misleading Americans; they claim that the world, but I don't think that many outside the U.S. believed this story.

The amount of support that Bush had after 9-11 was huge; The New York Times and the Washington Post, who in other situations would be more confrontational, just played along with the Bush administration, not showing too much opposition.

Collin Powell's speech about the Iraqis having mobil chemical labs was a turning point for many Americans. Powell had actively opposed a military until that point.

Furthermore, some of the few critics of the Bush plan had the White House campaign against them. For example, the White House leaked the name of a CIA agent to the press because her husband said that Iraq wasn't buying radioactive materials from African nations.

That the country invaded using false pretense is pretty clear if one has been following the many reasons why the U.S. entered the country in 2003.

Many conservatives may disagree with this point of view though.

[qoute]

[/quote]

Another great question. It hasn't gone to the American public, since 11 million crossed the U.S. poverty line since Bush got into office. About a month ago some U.S. officials admited that they have no idea where the money went since there was poor record keeping since the occupation took place.

If it makes you feel any better, many of the contractors in Iraq had had the same problem with record keeping, billing the U.S. for services that they never provided. After catching them in this deed, the Pentagon would slap their hand and ask them not to do it again. These companies kept their contracts.

Again, conservatives will disagree with me here, but I think that Americans are very ignorant about international affairs and they really don't know that their government is backing dictators in other countries. Those who do know about it try to raise the issue, but it is an uphill battle.

Dictators are mostly known in the U.S. in preparation for an attack, so that everyone knows who the bad guy is.

But once they know about an issue, most Americans are troubled when they learn that their government have done this. Many will refuse to believe it.

This question has many answers
    1) The National Guard traditionally helps in disasters in the U.S.

2)Urban riots in the U.S. are very nasty, and for help to be effective these have to be controled

3)Racism; most people there were black.

4)Our current government is incompetent, and the military are at least have some organization that can be used. After all, Florida and the National government also dragged their feet to help the victims of the last hurricane.

Does American government value rich people's property more than the lives of the poor people?

Yes.

Why do 5% of Americans own half of American assets and the remaining 95% share the other half (actually not even half)?

Because the American people let them. The free-market ideology is strong with about half of the population. The right-wing party has been successful winning elections in the U.S. in the last 10 years.

This party has consistently passed tax-cut after tax-cut, which benefits the most the already sinfully rich. In exchange for this, the average American gets about $500 back in tax-cut, maybe less, maybe more.

They have convinced half of the population that they too have the potential to become uber-millionairs, so--and I am not joking--you have paper delivery people defending millionairs. These are semi-lumpen-proletarians in this country.

If it makes you feel better, about half of the country is aware of everything that you raised, but we have been left out of any decision making. Some of us are trying to do somethign about it, but as you may now, it is hard.

Edited by hugoestr
    Guests View Drop Down
      Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 17:45
    Originally posted by hugoestr

This is the same question that about half of the population have been asking since the invasion took place.

correction: about 49% of the American population

I have another question: why do Americans put peanut butter and jam in one jar?
    Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain
    Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 17:50

There are three reasons why USA supports Israel and none of them is what ok Ge posted. Nothing to do with democracy or anything:
    1. The Jewish lobby (which is pro-Zionist) is very strong particularly in the USA.
    2. The USA sees Israel as its best ally in the Near East: a dsiruptive element that can prevent Arabs from any kind of union.
    3. There is a Christian (basically Protestant) ideological current called Christian Zionism that actively promotes the creation of Israel. This current is extremely strong in the USA. See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism
    It's all ideological and geostrategical. Don't forget that the Near or Middle East is the most geostrategic region in all Eurasia, not just because of the oil.

Anyhow, who gives the 7 billion bucks to Palestine, the rightful owners of the land?
    I agree with you and add  another main reason the dicatorship and corrupted goverments in arab world.
    "May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
    Khalid Bin Walid
    SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 18:05

That's basicly what hugoestr said, about half. Not exactly 50%, but 49% is about half.

I think your talking about those jars of Jelly and Peanut Butter that come with a stripe look, I don't know how else to describe it. Anyways it's just to attract kids to it and that's why it was made. I don't think they make Jam's and peanut butter together though.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
    Thegeneral View Drop Down
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 18:15

I have yet to see Pike answer on behalf of the other side, so if no one minds, I will step in to put in my two cents.

First of all, I have to say that most of these posts are inflamatory and are just being posted to start a flame war with Americans, more specifically, conservatives!

Secondly, I'd like to say that Hugo seems to be making rather extreme comments about the government and Bush.  I would hope he would have refrained from doing so.

Now, Where are Saddams WMD?
    Who knows, but I am more optimistic than my friend Hugo who seems to put all the blame on our government for misleading us.  According to researchers, it owuld take over 300 years to search all of Iraq and its deserts.  Besides that, they may not even be in Iraq anymore.  My point is, we do not have a conclusive answer to whether he did or did not.

Why the National Guard with orders to kill?
    Quite simple actually.  If you want your help to be able to... help, you need to area to be safe.  How could New Orleans be safe if people were running around shooting everyone?  It was not a matter of racism as so many love to make it.  It was a matter of communication, or lack there of, and the fact that it was the largest hurricane to hit in almost a century, no one was prepared. 

And I beg to differ that the government cares more for the rich than the poor, there is nothing, I repeat, nothing, to base tha on!

Again, I would like to ask that we keep the comments calm and NOT make them into inflamatory questions, making me get mad and look like the bad guy!

Maju View Drop Down
    King
    King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 18:25
    Originally posted by ok ge

Actually if you went through the post, you will find my sarcasm

Ok (buff!). I actually didn't see it at all. It was all just exactly word by word the oficial discourse of the USA/Israel on those matters. It was well hidden.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
    pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 19:18
    Originally posted by Thegeneral

I have yet to see Pike answer on behalf of the other side, so if no one minds, I will step in to put in my two cents.

First of all, I have to say that most of these posts are inflamatory and are just being posted to start a flame war with Americans, more specifically, conservatives!

Secondly, I'd like to say that Hugo seems to be making rather extreme comments about the government and Bush.  I would hope he would have refrained from doing so.

Now, Where are Saddams WMD?
    Who knows, but I am more optimistic than my friend Hugo who seems to put all the blame on our government for misleading us.  According to researchers, it owuld take over 300 years to search all of Iraq and its deserts.  Besides that, they may not even be in Iraq anymore.  My point is, we do not have a conclusive answer to whether he did or did not.

Why the National Guard with orders to kill?
    Quite simple actually.  If you want your help to be able to... help, you need to area to be safe.  How could New Orleans be safe if people were running around shooting everyone?  It was not a matter of racism as so many love to make it.  It was a matter of communication, or lack there of, and the fact that it was the largest hurricane to hit in almost a century, no one was prepared. 

And I beg to differ that the government cares more for the rich than the poor, there is nothing, I repeat, nothing, to base tha on!

Again, I would like to ask that we keep the comments calm and NOT make them into inflamatory questions, making me get mad and look like the bad guy!

Hugo and I have PM'd on all this, and I have not had a chance to post as yet.  I also wanted to see how the responses went.

It is pretty much as I expected.  In regard to the Hurricane Katrina matter, Zagros has posted a topic that indicates that much of the "disastrous fallout" after the hurricane was BS perpetrated by the media (of whom I have little regard....all of them competing to "scoop" the others through the medium of good looking "info-babes").  Whatever was reported was routinely interpreted as negative in reference to the United States.

Numerous responses here have been fatuous or juvenile:  "Why don't you lock your cars?; who mixes peanut butter and jelly?"  Give us all a break.  Criticize your own governments and cultures as well.       

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 19:28

If the United States is the perceived source of racism, oppression, imperialism and aggression, why is it that so many people want to immigrate here...legally or not?  What is up with that?  Could there be reasons for it?

Let's have some reasoned responses, and not the canned opinion of your professors who blather on unproductively; ill-informed (and probably at public expense).

Edited by pikeshot1600
    hugoestr View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 19:38
    Originally posted by Paul

Wow! Hugo maybe you should change your handle to Oracle.

Next question, continuing the linguistic theme.

The US government is continually whinging about Asian bootlegers copying movies and music and many other copywrite violations.

Don't Americans think it's about time the US started paying England royalties for the use of the langauge?

You make funny questions. The English language is in public domain; this means that America doesn't have to pay any royalties for it. Vulkan, on the other hand, is copyrighted.
    hugoestr View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 19:43
    Originally posted by Mixcoatl

This is the same question that about half of the population have been asking since the invasion took place.

that is 49% of voters, but the true numbers in polls is about half. Depending on which party organizes vote drives better, they win elections. For the last 10 years Republicans have bee much better at this than Democrats.

The U.S. is a country of inovation and efficiency. Why have two containers when you can onlt have one?

Guests View Drop Down
      Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 20:04

The U.S. is a country of inovation and efficiency. Why have two containers when you can onlt have one?

because peanut butter an jam taste bad together. Peanut butter is much better without jam.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>