Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Understanding the U.S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding the U.S.
    Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 11:21
Recently there has been a number of comments about the U.S. and its place in the world.

Some Americans have discussed how there is a lot of misunderstanding of what motivates the U.S. and what it is about, so we are starting this thread to help people understand the U.S. as Americans see it.

You can ask questions, and we will answer them. I will give the liberal view and Pike will give the conservative one.

The goal is for people to understand the U.S. perspective of the world.

I ask for two rules for this thread:

For non-Americans: Be respectful in the manner in which you ask questions.

For Americans: Avoid getting dragged into a fight; if you feel insulting by a question, don't answer it right away. Calm down, and give a respectful answer explaining the rationale behind your position. Remember: you are un-official embassadors of the U.S., try to give a good impression.

Thank you, and I hope that greater understanding of the U.S. will come from this thread.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:51

ok i have a question

how come almost 80% of the weddings in the American movies are Jewish weddings?

the US population is over 290 millions and the jewish American are like 6 millions !! thats like 2% of the population.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:53
Yeah, and why don't you lock your cars, don't you have car crime over there, coming to think of it, in the movies they are always able to park the car downtown, on the street, right outside the building they happen to be visiting. No wonder you have crappy mass transit, when parking is that easy theres no need for it.
Arrrgh!!"
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:58

This one really really puzzles me even though I've spent about 3 months a year in the US for nearly 20 years.

Why can you not get vitamin tablets that you drop in a glass of water and they go fizzy and taste like orange or lemon juice?

I've asked drugstore clerks but they just look at me in puzzlement.

And why can I only buy an electirc kettle that switches itself off when it boils by importing one from Canada?

And why don't restaurants (apart from the odd Chinese one) serve whole fish on the bone? I managed to track down a store that sold whole fish with the heads on, but it was tough going. (It was the International Farmers' Market just off Peachtree Industrial at Chamblee for anyone else near Atlanta who has the same problem.)

How can a country so deficient in these important matters claim to be the leader of the free world?

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 13:16
What is the annual budget/size/distribution of US armed forces.
Jai Badri Vishal
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 13:22
Originally posted by azimuth

ok i have a question

the US population is over 290 millions and the jewish American are like 6 millions !! thats like 2% of the population.

I think the 'Runaway Bride' proves that we actually do show down to earth American weddings on the big screen.

Originally posted by Cywr

Yeah, and why don't you lock your cars, don't you have car crime over there, coming to think of it, in the movies they are always able to park the car downtown, on the street, right outside the building they happen to be visiting. No wonder you have crappy mass transit, when parking is that easy theres no need for it.

We don't lock our doors because thats an extra button to push upon reentry. Its not convenient. (This was a totally senseless attempt at a stupid answer)

Originally posted by gcle2003

And why don't restaurants (apart from the odd Chinese one) serve whole fish on the bone? I managed to track down a store that sold whole fish with the heads on, but it was tough going. (It was the International Farmers' Market just off Peachtree Industrial at Chamblee for anyone else near Atlanta who has the same problem.)

How can a country so deficient in these important matters claim to be the leader of the free world?

Eating our fish sandwiches while we drive is hard enough. What do you expect us to do, choke on a bone in the process?

You guys should all be given warnings for turning this sensitive topic into a flame war. How dare you mock our society. Just wait till we critisize your mass transit. You. You. Fisheads!

Edited by Seko
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 13:41
The American people are among the most generous people in the world. If you ask them for something, they will usually help - even if the benefits of that help are only felt by people in some far off, abstract place.

Why is it that there are certain forces that are able to stop them from helping in certain situations. For example - Chechnya, Palestine, and Rwanda as compared to Croatia, Bosnia, and Indonesia.

It obviously has little to do with race or religion, at least as far as the victims in these situations are concerned. Does the race or religion or those helping play a role? What are the factors at play?
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:06

ok i have a question

I've honestly only seen one movie with a Jewish wedding, and I think it was a comedy.

Originally posted by cywr

I don't really know anyone who doesn't lock their doors. Atleast around here everyone does, can't trust to many people. Maybe I should get into the business of grand theft auto, make alot of money in that trade . So Seko where do you live, and where did you go in the US Cywr?

Why can you not get vitamin tablets that you drop in a glass of water and they go fizzy and taste like orange or lemon juice?

Is a vitamin pill to hard to swallow? They have chewables .

Couldn't tell you, I only recently started eatting fish other then Tuna. And I prefer salmon over all the other ones. We just buy our wild salmon in frozen packages.

What is the annual budget/size/distribution of US armed forces.

This might give you a idea. This is from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_power

Edited by SearchAndDestroy
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:26

ok i have a question

I don't know if this is the case. At one point I told my wife that there were so many movies about Jewish families. She asked me to tell her the titles. When I started counting, all I could think of were three

But maybe the main reason why there are Jewish weddings is that they are semi-exotic and do well on film.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:27

Thanks for the concern S&D.

If you did'nt figure it out already, my whole response was for fun and games. Pure jest.

Yeah, I definitely lock the doors to my car. Driving home sure beats walking!

Edited by Seko
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:31

Yeah, I definitely lock the doors to my car. Driving home sure beats walking!

I like to walk everywhere. Problem is I'd have to walk for hours to make it anywhere, so driving is kind of forced on to us. Takes 45 mintues for me to get to a road that has a mall, sports stores, and anything else for hobbies just driving, obviously I can't walk there...

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:32
Originally posted by Cywr

Yeah, and why don't you lock your cars, don't you have car crime over
there, coming to think of it, in the movies they are always able to
park the car downtown, on the street, right outside the building they
happen to be visiting. No wonder you have crappy mass transit, when
parking is that easy theres no need for it.

Remember, it is the movies. Hollywood plays with the fantasies of people; one of them is that they can find parking right away. Also, viewers may get tired of waiting for 30 minutes for the character to find parking

Besides, in certain areas, I actually don't lock my car.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:37

This one really really puzzles me even though I've spent about 3 months a year in the US for nearly 20 years.

I've asked drugstore clerks but they just look at me in puzzlement.

And why can I only buy an electirc kettle that switches itself off when it boils by importing one from Canada?

I don't know why; I am certainly looking forward to the EU bringing these nice things into our country
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:03

I know American people I worked with them in Baghdad International Airport  they are generous,helpful,humble and funny.

But I have a question an American private asked it to me and I ask you now.

Why America gives Israel 7 billions $ as awarding every year?

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:27
Originally posted by Mila

The American people are among the most generous people in the world. If
you ask them for something, they will usually help - even if the
benefits of that help are only felt by people in some far off, abstract
place.

Why is it that there are certain forces that are able to stop them from
helping in certain situations. For example - Chechnya, Palestine, and
Rwanda as compared to Croatia, Bosnia, and Indonesia.

It obviously has little to do with race or religion, at least as far as
the victims in these situations are concerned. Does the race or
religion or those helping play a role? What are the factors at play?

When you say "forces" what do you mean? Political forces in the U.S.? International NGOs? Different interests groups?

Answers for this question will depend on what you meant in your question.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:28
^ Any forces, really. I'm not aware which are involved, so I had to leave it open.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:35
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

I know American people I worked with them in Baghdad International Airport they are generous,helpful,humble and funny.

Is this help that the U.S. government gives to Israel or private donations?

If it is government help, then it may have something to do with the U.S. wanting to keep them as a strategic ally in the region.

If it is about private donations, you have two types of people who give to them. On the one hand, you have Jewish people. It is obvious why they give money. Then you have Protestant Evangelicals who believe that bringing all Jewish people into Israel will bring the end of times. They provide an incredible amount of help and support to Israel for this reason.

But to give proper perspective to this, the U.S. also is the greatest source of money for the country of Mexico and for the Catholic Church. It was for Ireland too, but I am not sure if it still is. People tend to keep sending money back to the old country.

Someone else can give a better answer for the U.S. government support to Israel, if it exists, which I ignore if it does.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:36
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Ok dokie!

Ahmed, US gives Israel $7 million aid (a gift actually) because Israel is the only democracy in the middle east and they want to make sure that this democracy survive.

That is why they give that money, so Israelis can buy weapons that rock a whole house killing in each air strike over 19 palestinians while palestinians are working on Al Qassam I and Al Qassam II rockets (I call them firworks).

Israel receives $7 billion aid so they can protect their lives against Palestinian suicide bombers by building a wall that does not only go over Oslo agreement line, eats up whole terroritories and prementantly toward Israel, but also that wall has and must divide anything iin its way ncluding dividing a schools, villages, and sometimes a farmer from his farm!

Also in the war against Palestinian terrorist, those terrorists who like to punish Israeli civilians in a collective punishment for the atrocities of their military which those civilians have not participated in. Those terrorist will go and blow up a bus and restaurants! So the US gives Israel  $7 billion to enable them to prosecute those terrorist by demolishing houses of innocent palestinians, collective punishment by setting curfew to cities as long and painful as 120 consecutive days! Also so Israel can enhance security check points that shot a girl who run afraid 21 bullets, broke bones of kids throwing stones and and to shoot a kid between his father's arm as Ahmed Al Durah.

Israel receives $7 billion so they can compensate for Jewish settlers who evacuated "their homeland"! and the Jew citizens who suffered from Palestinian terrorist attacks, but not the Arab citizens of Israel who lost their relatives by a "mentally challenged" Israeli soldier who shot killed four Arab on a bus, including two teenage girls in the Arab town of  Shfaram.

Israel receives $7 billion so they can help the needy Russian jews who escape poverty and prosecution and bring them to settle in Israel, while 700,000 palestianians and their offsprings of 5 millions! have no right to return to their homes and towns they escaped as refugees in 1948 and 1967, neither they are entitled for any compensaton, Not even a penny!

Anyhow, American citizens are one of the most humble, funny, and life-enjoyer people I've seen.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:45
Why can't Americans pronouce the word 'route' correctly?

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:51
Originally posted by Mila

^ Any forces, really. I'm not aware which are involved, so I had to leave it open.

When the U.S. is stopped by external forces, it has to do with the very complex situations that lack an easy fix. I hope that there is someone who can answer this one in more detail.

Within the U.S. it has to do with how well the different countries can promote their problem, and if an organized American group adopts the issue as its own.

In many cases most of the U.S. population just doesn't know about international problems. It sounds strange to foreigners, but this is the truth.

Then there are the U.S. corporations who tend to have a great amount of influence in these matters, especially if oil is involved. If the country's leadership is working with the U.S., then the chances of the U.S. intervening are lowered.

A positive trend that is occurring within some corporations is to attempt to improve conditions with the governments of third world countries. So the chocolate industry tries to influence the government in African countries to end cocoa slavery as they keep buying the product instead of just pulling out of the market and making the economic situation worse for the whole country.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>