Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to read a genetic map

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to read a genetic map
    Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 20:43
This is something I've been doing lately: to interpretate the map of European (and some Asian and African) Y Chromosome haplotypes that someone posted originally here in another topic, whose name I can't remember. I saved it then and I have made some research on Y-chromosome haplotypes tree.

In the following images, that map is contrasted with two trees I've found in this interesting paper: Rosser et al. , 2000.

So how do we read all this? Once you compare the tree with the geographical distribution, it seems evident:
  1. Hg7 (root): in Egypt basically (3%). That's the lineage of the original great-grandpa(s) of all the other lineages studied here. It has a couple of African offsprings but only one stabilished in Eurasia:
    1. Hg2 (blue in the map), very spread out, the link to all others. Not very strong in Egypt but clearly represented. It becomes stronger in the mountainous areas of the Near East (Anatolia, Caucasus) from where it probably spread to Europe and other regions. Three major lineages (including all other haplogroups) spring from it:
  1. Hg4 (Egypt, 2%) -> Hg 21 (strongest among Berbers but also present in other Mediterranean areas) -> Hg28 (mostly in Sardinia, 10%)
  2. Hg9: strong in SW and Southern Asia, very specially among Arabs. Also present in the Balcans.
  3. Hg26: a rare clad, found particularly among Kurdish Jews but with presence in other areas (dificult to say because the colors of the map are not very clear). This clad is forefather of some of the main European lineages:
  1. Hg12 (concentrated in the Mari people mostly) -> Hg 16 (dominant among Baltic and Finnish peoples).
  2. Hg1 (green): dominant in Western Europe but present almost everywhere. It has two derivates:
  1. Hg3 (orange): very strong in Eastern Europe and South Asia.
  2. Hg22: particularly strong among Basques (19%) but also present in other places.
So what does this mean? Has it any relation with Arab, IE, Celtic, Aryan or  Atlantean expansion? Nope.

It seems pretty clear that the pattern is that of early human expansion into Asia and Europe (and North Africa) from an early settlemet most probably in Egypt (where the root haplogroup is still present). Only some of the latest branches (i.e. Hg3, Hg6 and Hg28) may be associated some realtively late migrations which should have happened also in the Paleolithic or maybe in the early Neolithic (case of Sardinia, not populated before, and maybe also the case of the yellow Hg6 concentration in northern Europe). Of course some later migrations may have moved the pieces around... but up to a point and it's extremely dificult to find out if not plainly impossible.

One thing we must take in account is that our written history includes (counting from Sumer) only a tiny 3% of human existence. We have been cultivating the land only for about 5% of all our existence as separate species. Most of what happened, specially in the genetic aspect, happened long before anyone can remember. So let's forget about "recent" historical or protohistorical events of "only" a few centuries or milennia ago when talking about our genetic makeup.

Even Cavalli-Sforza and others, not long ago proponents of the demic difussion of agriculture, displacing the Paleolithic natives, are now more inclined to to think that all this genetic mess up happened in Paleolithic times, at least in its greates part.

And also, let's not forget that we are talking here (in this particular analysis) about male-male-male-male...male lineages. That a single women-only generation in all the line would cause a particular Y-chromosome lineage to vanish, while all the genetic apportation of the other 22 chromosomes would still be present. The same (but symmetric) can be said when talking about MtDNA, transmitted only from woman to woman (males have it but can't transmit it).

So we have to take in account not just these purely male and purely female lineages but also the more general comprehensive studies on general genetic heritage. Only contrasting all we can be reasonably sure that we have a good picture of what has happened.

Thoughts?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 01:05
A bit complicated for me to understand Maju.Could u simplify it further with the help of some examples.
Jai Badri Vishal
arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 02:32

Maju said: "One thing we must take in account is that our written history includes (counting from Sumer) only a tiny 3% of human existence."

I want to add him some notes from the Human Journey Atlas of National Geographic Geneology Project: (These are not my sentences. they were taken from the Atlas and were summarized by me):

• 200,000 years ago:
    1. "Neandertals (Europe) (25,000 to 200,000 years ago): The 40,000 year old DNA sequence identified Neandertals as a species distinct from humans, with whom they last shared a common ancestor some 500,000 years ago."
    2. "Europe: Mousterian Culture (230,000 to 30,000 years ago): Mousterian tools are associated with Europe, western Asian, North African Neandertals, who inhabited the region from approximately 230,000 years ago until their disappearence about 30,000 years ago."
    3. "Middle East: Qafzeh Cave (100 000 years ago): The dozen-odd remains found at Qafzeh dated to some 100,000 years ago are the first known evidence of modern humans in the Near East. Humans and Neandertals in fact occupied Qafzeh Cave alternately."
    4. "Africa: Omo I and Omo II (195 000 years ago): Omo I and Omo II are the oldest known fossil remains of anatomically modern humans. Richard Leakey found the two skulls and various bones nearly 40 years ago in Ethiopia's Omo valley. they were originally dated to 130,000 years ago, but a recent reexamination has determined an older origin for the two Omos and thus for modern humans about 195,000 years ago."
    5. "Africa: Australopithecus: The 'southern ape' lived in Africa from 1.6 to 5.3 million years ago. When first discovered in 1924, this genus (which has several species) was hailed as a missing link between apes and humans. Today it is still regarded by many as a human ancestor an popularized by the most famous member of its species -Lucy-."
    6. "Adam: Adam is the common male ancestor of every living man. He lived in Africa some 60,000 years ago, which means that all humans lived in Africa until at least that time." "Adam doesn't represent the first human. He is the coalescence point of all the genetic diversity found in the world's disparate people."
    7. "Mitochondrial Eve: Mitochondrial Eve, the common ancestor of all modern humans, lived 150,000 to 170,000 years ago. Haplogroup LO was the earliest offshot of Eve's original mtDNA tree, but it is now extinct. All existing mtDNA haplogroups trace their roots back to a second haplogroupe-L1. This haplogroup is most common and diverse in West and Central sub-Saharan Africa."

I will later summarize the y-chromosome and mtDNA haplogroups. You see common male ancestor and common female ancestor of modern living humans are dated for different times. Now here's an article about the subject:

http://www.nature.com/ng/press_release/ng1100.html

Adam and Eve probably never met

Nature Genetics pp 358 - 361 and pp 253 - 254

In an international collaborative effort, Peter Underhill of Stanford University and colleagues have carried out a study of human Y-chromosome variation, by far the most comprehensive and informative ever conducted. Whereas it confirms the 'out-of-Africa' origin of modern humans, it suggests that our most recent common paternal ancestor ('Y-chromosome Adam') would have been about 84,000 years younger than our maternal one ('Mitochondrial Eve'). This suggests that our genetic blueprint evolved as a mosaic in which the modern pieces (of DNA) could have appeared at different times and spread within our population, each with its own pace. The study also suggests that natural selection might have put a specific pressure on the Y chromosome, and may increase understanding of male infertility in our times.

Fossil records have suggested that Homo sapiens of the sapiens variety, to which all of us belong, first appeared in Africa or South-West Asia, about 150,000 years ago, a time when the current brain size is also thought to have been fixed. It is thought that they later left Africa for Asia and Europe where the earliest fossils of our kind are about 50,000 years old. This out-of-Africa hypothesis was confirmed by studies of mitochondrial DNA, a peculiar part of our genome that comes exclusively from the mother. Based on these studies, our most recent common ancestor is thought to be a woman who lived in Africa about 143,000 years ago. Through a detailed analysis of the paternal lineage of more than 1,000 men from 22 different geographic areas, researchers propose that our most recent common ancestor was a man who lived in Africa around 59,000 years ago. How can these studies be reconciled? How could Adam and Eve have ever begotten us if they never met?

Paleontology has always had a problem with dates. However, the thoroughness of the current study as well as 13 years of mitochondrial DNA analysis indicate that fallible interpretations cannot explain the whole discrepancy with the Book of Genesis. Rather, they show that the different chromosomes now in favour among humans were not 'invented' all at once. Approximately 143,000 years ago, among the different mitochondrial DNA sequences floating around in the human population, one remained advantageous for its carriers and started to expand; eventually, all women carrying the other versions of mitochondrial DNA would leave no descendants. In parallel, different versions of the Y-chromosome were dispersed through the population as well, but it took 84,000 more years before one particular version of it started to take over in the human population. In other words, each chromosome evolved to its own drum and each had a common ancestor chromosome of its own, in very distant times. The other chromosomes, the X and the autosomes, first appeared even earlier, up to about 2,000,000 years ago, which is in the times of Homo erectus, before the separation between neanderthalis and sapiens (circa 600,000 years ago). Remarkably, the Y chromosome currently in vogue among modern men started to expand only very recently, suggesting that it conferred some natural advantage to its carriers' fitness. In these days of concern over a possible global decline in human sperm quality, hence in male fertility, the large set of new molecular markers provided by Peter Underhill and colleagues will prove an invaluable resource to medical research.

Article Title pp 358 - 361
Peter A. Underhill, Peidong Shen, Alice A. Lin, Li Jin, Giuseppe Passarino, Wei H. Yang, Erin Kauffman, Batsheva Bonn-Tamir, Jaume Bertranpetit, Paolo Francalacci, Muntaser Ibrahim, Trefor Jenkins, Judith R. Kidd, S. Qasim Mehdi, Mark T. Seielstad, R. Spencer Wells, Alberto Piazza, Ronald W. Davis, Marcus W. Feldman, L. Luca Cavalli-Sforza & Peter. J. Oefner
doi:10.1038/81685
Abstract | Full text | PDF

If anyone wants really to learn his/her genetical ancestors (instead of fighting each other who is more Turk/Bulgar/Kurd/Armenian/Aryan or more darker/lighter etc), he/she can refer to a genetic research laboratory. There are many in USA and Europe. Here in Turkey laboratories dont analyze Y ch. and mDNA for customers yet. I think that it's the best way to brush some specimen from buccal mucasa and to send it to genealogy laboratories to be analysed. So one may learn her mtDNA group for her mother lineage or his mtDNA for mother lineage and his Y chromosome for paternal lineage. There are many laboratories around the world.  There is also geneology procect of National Geographic. If we take part in this project, our results also may  help the researchs.

How can a man read his results for his geofather? Here's a sample. Please visit it in order to understand to read a genetical map:

http://www.geogene.com/highres/geofather/wallchart.php

How can a woman read her results for her geomother? Here's a sample:

http://www.geogene.com/highres/information/mitochondria.html

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 02:44

Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 07:25
Originally posted by katulakatula

A bit complicated for me to understand Maju.Could u simplify it further with the help of some examples.

It all just mean that it is an error to take all those haplogroups as equally old and unrelated lineages. They belong to diferent knots of a tree, which is shown (as clear as I could) in the second image: the left tree simply shows the tree, including some non-European lineages, that I haven't commented. The right tree is the same but with circles proportional to sampled population. You can see that Hg1, Hg2 and Hg3 are much larger than the others, just because they are much more aboundant.

The most simple interpretation is that all lineages come from a root (Hg7) in Egypt and then from the main node (Hg2), very spread out. Then there are three branches, all present in the Near East/Mediterranean area, so we can assume easily (as other evidence confirms) that all Caucasoid populations (those represented in the map) were at some time in the Near East, where they got diferentiated in three groups. Etcetera: just follow the tree.

You want a example: let's imagine that I have Hg1 (very likely but not sure). What does it mean? Not much. Just that I'm likely to be European, Western European typically (but not necesarily, it's such a widespread group that I could be almost anything).

What does it mean that Western Europe is so strong in Hg1. Probably just that the lineages arriving here in the Paleolithic age (c. 35,000 BP) were rather small and most their members had Hg1 (with maybe a minority of Hg2, which is older).

The truly interesting thing is that Y-chromosome lineages (or also MtDNA ones) do not mean so much, unless studied carefully in their context, and that using them to talk about "races" and much less modern nations/ethnicities is very misguided. Genetics, as we learn more, seems to be talking about the original dispersion of humankind around the globe - nothing else.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 07:47
Originally posted by katulakatula

In genetics, the so called pseudo-Eve is just an MtDNA type, now extinct as such, that is the grandmother of all other extant MtDNA. Yet talking about a single woman is too adventurous.

Same for the pseudo-Adam, but regarding paternal lineages. The "Genesis problem" comes because those two worldwide root haplotypes have very diferent estimated chronologies. Pseudo-Eve is c. 150,000 years old and pseudo-Adam is just c. 100,000 years old or even less. So, if they would have been two actual individuals, Eve would have just been the great-great-...-great grandmother of Adam.

Anyhow, all that happened so much time before any one knew anything about the Judaist religion, that just never mind. They are just poetic names.

Btw, Arfunda, excelent article - as always.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 10:53

I continue to summarize from National Geographic Geneology Atlas:

1. "LO= mt Eve: is now extinct. Common ancestor of all modern humans. lived 150,000 to 170,000 years ago."
  2. "L1: "All existing mtDNA haplogrupes trace their roots back to a second haplogoup-L1. This haplogroupe is most common and diverse in west and central sub-Saharan Africa."
  3. "L2: 59,000-78,000 years ago (first appeared): About a third of all sub-Saharan Africans are haplogroupe L2, which arose some 59,000 to 78,000 years ago on the evolutionary line of haplogrup L1. (4 main subclades: L2a, L2b, L2c, L2d) L2a is Africa's most common and widespread cluster, and is also the most common lineage of African Americans."
  4. L3 (first appeared 80,000 years ago): L3 is found in only Africa, where its derivatives exist in nearly all populations. Its sub-clades are most prevalant in East Africa. Although L3 itself is not found outside Africa it is important to the route of human journey out of that continent. M and N, the two haplogroups that bind all Eurasian mtDNA lineages, originated from a single founder on the L3 line of descent some 80,000 years ago."

I want to send you what some terms mean. E.g. haplotype and haplogroup:

http://www.kerchner.com/haplogroupvshaplotype.htm

Haplotype

"Haplotype - /haplotype/ - A set of numbers or letters obtained from the DNA test of an individual. A set of alleles for genetic markers (a set of gene or genetic marker DNA sequences) inherited as a unit. A contraction of the phrase "haploid genotype". Different combinations of polymorphisms at a set of polymorphic sites are known as haplotypes. The term haplotype is commonly used term in Genetic Genealogy for the series of DYS Y-STR numbers which are the allele values of the test results of a set of genetic markers of a Y chromosome (paternal line) test, i.e., the Y-DNA test. Example: DYS393=13, DYS390=24, DYS394(aka19)=14, DYS391=11, DYS385a=11, DYS385b=16, DYS426=12, DYS388=12, DYS439=12, DYS389-1=13, DYS392=13, DYS389-2=29. The term is also often used in genetic genealogy discussions to describe a set of alphanumeric results from a mtDNA (maternal line) test. Example: 16162G, 16519C, 73G, 263G, 309.1C, 315.1C. Comparing haplotypes of two or more people is what is done in a genetic genealogy project to determine the degree of genetic relationship between their respective lines and combined with other information such as having the same or similar sounding or meaning surname, determine if their lines are closely related within a time frame of genealogical interest, i.e., the time since the adoption of surnames."

Haplogroup

"Haplogroup - /haplogroup/ - A group of similar patterned and related descendant haplotypes which share a common ancestor defined by a unique event polymorphism (a one-time SNP mutation) at a specific locus in their DNA sequence, i.e., a UEP. Haplogroup branches are assigned alphanumeric designators by geneticists. These alphanumeric haplogroup branch names are diagramed in tree format on a chart to link human beings together to form a Phylogenetic Tree. There is a Phylogenetic Tree for the male lines of descent and one for the female lines of descent. For example for the male line mode of genetic marker inheritance, the Y chromosome, R1b1 is the Y chromosome haplogroup branch alphanumeric label given to those who test positive at the UEP SNP locus P25, i.e., P25+ means you are part of the Y chromosome haplogroup sub-branch named R1b1 and your Y chromosome would be located on that part of the YCC Phylogenetic Tree. R1b1 would be a smaller branch of R1b. R1b would be a smaller branch of R1. And R1 would be a smaller branch of the major branch R. For the female line mode of genetic marker inheritance, the mtDNA molecule, H1 is a common alphanumeric haplogroup sub-branch for the major H haplogroup branch for the maternal line mtDNA molecule Phylogenetic Tree. Different sets of alpha-numeric designators are given to male Y-DNA haplogroup branches and female mtDNA haplogroup branches. A commonly occurring paternal line Y chromosome major haplogroup branch found in males tested today is the alphanumeric R1b, which is found in high frequency in Western Europe males and direct male line descendants of European males from that area. A commonly occurring maternal line mtDNA major haplogroup branch found in people tested today is the letter H and is found in high frequency in Western Europe and direct maternal line descendants of European descendants from the area. The major maternal line mtDNA haplogroup branches have been even further personalized by Dr. Brian Sykes in his book, "The Seven Daughters of Eve." Since the mtDNA haplogroup branches represent common maternal lines, he gave the haplogroups female names which correspond with the first letter of those major mtDNA haplogroup branches. For example my maternal line mtDNA haplogroup is the letter H. And the female name Dr. Brian Sykes gave to that haplogroup is Helena. He also made up a little story about each of these seven female ancestors in his book to try to describe their life and times 10's of thousands of years ago when he surmises they lived in various parts of what is now Europe. Haplogroups are mainly used for anthropological research and deep ancestry research for time frames long prior to the adoption of surnames. We're talking 10's of thousands of years ago when these haplogroups became defined. Knowledge of one's haplogroup, while interesting, does not typically provide much assistance to the genealogist other then pointing to a large geographic area of the world where that haplogroup is found in high frequency. For traditional genealogical research, haplotypes are more important than haplogroups. While the definitive test to determine your haplogroup is a SNP test, many times your haplogroup can be estimated with a reasonable confidence level based on your haplotype test result data. There is quite a bit of dialog online about estimating and knowing one's haplogroup. But as I said, knowing one's haplogroup is of very limited use to traditional genealogical research which is typically focused on the last several hundred years."

Now I am sending some haplogroup descriptions in order to better understand. Here are the haplogroupes of Y chromosomes:

http://www.kerchner.com/haplogroups-ydna.htm

"R1a: The R1a lineage is believed to have originated in the Eurasian Steppes north of the Black and Caspian Seas. This lineage is believed to have originated in a population of the Kurgan culture, known for the domestication of the horse (approximately 3000 B.C.E.). These people were also believed to be the first speakers of the Indo-European language group. This lineage is currently found in central and western Asia, India, and in Slavic populations of Eastern Europe.
FTDNA's DNA Testing Discussion Forum - Looking for an R1a Expert Thread

R1b: Haplogroup R1b is the most common haplogroup in European populations. It is believed to have expanded throughout Europe as humans re-colonized after the last glacial maximum 10-12 thousand years ago. This lineage is also the haplogroup containing the Atlantic modal haplotype.
Whit Athey's Super Western Atlantic Modal Haplotype
John McEwan's Summary of Public Results of R1b and S21 SNP Tests Project

I: The I, I1, and I1a lineages are nearly completely restricted to northwestern Europe. These would most likely have been common within Viking populations. One lineage of this group extends down into central Europe.
Andrew Lancaster's Report about Haplogroup I1* Clusters
Ken Nordtvedt's Population Varieties within Y-Haplogroup I and their Extended Modal Haplotypes

N: This haplogroup is distributed throughout Northern Eurasia. It is the most common Y-chromosome type in Uralic speakers (Finns and Hungarians). This lineage most likely originated in northern China or Mongolia and then spread into Siberia where it became a very common line in western Siberia.

E3a: This haplogroup is an African lineage. It is currently hypothesized that this haplogroup dispersed south from northern Africa within the past 3000 years, by the Bantu agricultural expansion. E3a is also the most common lineage among African Americans.

E3b: This haplogroup is believed to have evolved in the Middle East. It expanded into the Mediterranean during the Pleistocene Neolithic expansion. It is currently distributed around the Mediterranean, southern Europe, and in north and east Africa.
See Freeman Project at FTDNA for More on the E3b Haplogroup

J: Haplogroup J is found at highest frequencies in Middle Eastern and north African populations where it most likely evolved. This marker has been carried by Middle Eastern traders into Europe, central Asia, India, and Pakistan. The Cohen modal lineage is found in Haplogroup J*.

J2: The J2 lineage originated in the northern portion of the Fertile Crescent where it later spread throughout central Asia, the Mediterranean, and south into India. As with other populations with Mediterranean ancestry this lineage is found within Jewish populations.
Research note: Many people new to Genetic Genealogy think the J2 haplogroup is synonymous with having male Jewish ancestry. One should note that having a J2 haplogroup assignment does not necessarily indicate Jewish ancestry. The J2 haplogroup is far more ancient than the Jewish religion and is found in many lines with Mediterranean region ancient ancestry.
J2 Haplogroup Discussion Thread Lead by Bonnie Schrack in the Rootweb.com Genealogy-DNA-L Message List

Q: The Q lineage is the lineage that links Asia and the Americas. This lineage is found in North and Central Asian populations as well as native Americans. This lineage is believed to have originated in Central Asia and migrated through the Altai / Baikal region of northern Eurasia into the Americas.

Q3: This haplogroup is the only lineage strictly associated with Native American populations. This haplogroup is defined by the presence of the M3 mutation (also known as SY103). This mutation occurred on the Q lineage 8-12 thousand years ago as the migration into the Americas was underway. There is some debate about which side of the Bering Strait this mutation occurred on, but it definitely happened in the ancestors of the Native American peoples.

G: This haplogroup may have originated in India or Pakistan, and has dispersed into central Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. The G2 branch of this lineage (containing the P15 mutation) is found most often in the Europe and the Middle East.
Whit Athey's Haplogroup G Website
Ray Bank's Haplogroups G and G2 Website

G2: This lineage may have originated in India or Pakistan, and has dispersed into central Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. The G2 branch of this lineage (containing the P15 mutation) is found most often in the Europe and the Middle East.
Ray Bank's More on Haplogroups G2 Website

C1: The C1 lineage is entirely restricted to Japan where it occurs at low frequency.

C3: This lineage is believed to have originated in southeast or central Asia. This lineage then spread into northern Asia, and then into the Americas.

O1: This haplogroup is found at very high frequency in the aboriginal Taiwanese (possibly due to genetic drift). This haplogroup probably originated in East Asia and later migrated into the south Pacific. Individuals carrying this lineage are thought to have been important in the expansion of the Austronesian language group into Taiwan, Indonesia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

O2: Haplogroup O2 has two primary lines, the 465 line and the M95 line. Both lines are found in Asia. The 465 line is at high frequency in Japanese and Korean populations and at low frequency in east Asia. The M95 line is found in Southeast Asian populations (Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, and southern China).

H: This haplogroup is nearly completely restricted to India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan."

And these are the haplogroups of mtDNA:

http://www.kerchner.com/haplogroups-mtdna.htm

"Specific mitochondrial haplogroups are typically found in different regions of the world, and this is due to unique population histories. In the process of spreading around the world, many populationswith their special mitochondrial haplogroupsbecame isolated, and specific haplogroups concentrated in geographic regions. Today, we have identified certain haplogroups that originated in Africa, Europe, Asia, the islands of the Pacific, the Americas, and even particular ethnic groups. Of course, haplogroups that are specific to one region are sometimes found in another, but this is due to recent migration.

H: Mitochondrial haplogroup H is a predominantly European haplogroup that participated in a population expansion beginning approximately 20,000 years ago. Today, about 30% of all mitochondrial lineages in Europe are classified as haplogroup H. It is rather uniformly distributed throughout Europe suggesting a major role in the peopling of Europe, and descendant lineages of the original haplogroup H appear in the Near East as a result of migration. Future work will better resolve the distribution and historical characteristics of this haplogroup. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Helena.
Amelia Reimer's Clan Helena Website

K: The mitochondrial super-haplogroup U encompasses haplogroups U1-U7 and haplogroup K. Haplogroup K is found through Europe, and contains multiple closely related lineages indicating a recent population expansion. The origin of haplogroup K dates to approximately 16,000 years ago, and it has been suggested that individuals with this haplogroup took part in the pre-Neolithic expansion following the Last Glacial Maximum. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Katrine.
John Walden's Haplogroups J and K Website

U5: The mitochondrial super-haplogroup U encompasses haplogroups U1-U7 and haplogroup K. Haplogroup U5, with its own multiple lineages nested within, is the oldest European-specific haplogroup, and its origin dates to approximately 50,000 years ago. Most likely arising in the Near East, and spreading into Europe in a very early expansion, the presence of haplogroup U5 in Europe pre-dates the expansion of agriculture in Europe. Haplogroup U5a1a lineage within haplogroup U5arose in Europe approximately 30,000 years ago, and is mainly found in northwest Europe. In the context of its rather ancient origin, the modern distribution of haplogroup U5a1 suggests that individuals bearing this haplogroup were part the initial expansion tracking the retreat of ice sheets from Europe. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Ursula.
Brian Hamman's Clan Ursula (U5 sub-group) Website

U6: The mitochondrial super-haplogroup U encompasses haplogroups U1-U7 and haplogroup K. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Ursula.
Dave Strong's Clan Ursula (U6 sub-group) Website

U7: The mitochondrial super-haplogroup U encompasses haplogroups U1-U7 and haplogroup K. Haplogroup U7 has a Near Eastern origin approximately 30,000 years ago. Within Europe, it occurs at low frequency in the Caucasus. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Ursula.

HV: Mitochondrial haplogroup HV is a primarily European haplogroup that underwent an expansion beginning approximately 20,000 years ago. It is more prevalent in western Europe than in eastern Europe, and descendant lineages of the original haplogroup HV appear in the Near East as a result of more recent migration. One of the dominant mitochondrial haplogroups in Europe, haplogroup HV pre-dates the occurrence of farming in Europe. Future work will better resolve the distribution and historical characteristics of this haplogroup.

I: Principally a European haplogroup, haplogroup I is detected at very low frequency across west Eurasia with slightly greater representation in northern and western Europe. Given its wide, but sparse, distribution, it is likely that it was present in those populations that first colonized Europe. This hypothesis is supported by the estimate its ageapproximately 30,000 years. Bonnie Schrack in her mtDNA Haplogroup I project named this mtDNA haplogroup Iris.
Bonnie Schrack's Clan Iris Website

J*: The mitochondrial haplogroup J contains several sub-lineages. The original haplogroup J originated in the Near East approximately 50,000 years ago. Within Europe, sub-lineages of haplogroup J have distinct and interesting distributions. Haplogroup J* the root lineage of haplogroup J is found distributed throughout Europe, but at a relatively low frequency. Haplogroup J* is generally considered one of the prominent lineages that was part of the Neolithic spread of agriculture into Europe from the Near East beginning approximately 10,000 years ago. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Jasmine.

J1b1: The mitochondrial haplogroup J contains several sub-lineages. The original haplogroup J originated in the Near East approximately 50,000 years ago. Within Europe, sub-lineages of haplogroup J have distinct and interesting distributions. Haplogroup J1b is found distributed in the Near East and southern Iberia, and may have been part of the original colonization wave of Neolithic settlers moving around the Mediterranean 6000 years ago or perhaps a lineage of Phoenician traders. Within haplogroup J1b, a derivative lineage haplogroup J1b1 has been found in Britain and another sub-lineage detected in Italy. Further research will better establish the relationship of these two geographically distant, yet evolutionarily related, haplogroups. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Jasmine.

T: Haplogroup T is believed to have lived around 17,000 years ago in Nothern Italy. Tara's people would have come from the Near East, and her descendents spread all over Europe. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Tara.
Felice Bedford's Clan Tara Results Discussion Webpage

V: Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Velda.
Whit Athey's Clan Velda Website

W: Haplogroup W is a "daughter" of N and a "sister" of R, I, X, & A.
FTDNA's DNA Testing Discussion Forum - Haplogroup W Thread

X: Haplogroup X is found in Europe and Asia, and is believed to have migrated to the Americas about 15,000 years ago, making up a very small component of the Native American population. Bryan Sykes in his Seven Daughters of Eve book named this mtDNA haplogroup Xenia.
A scientific paper by Michael Brown, et al: mtDNA Haplogroup X: An Ancient Link between Europe/Western Asia and North America?"

arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 10:59

From http://www.kknfa.org/mtdna_Haplogroups.htm

"Below are some of the Haplogroups for mtDNA:

A, B, C, D, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, L1, L2, L3, T, U, V, X

Each mtDNA Haplogroup originated in a different geographic area, thousands of years ago.  For example, it is known that Haplogroup H originated in Europe, and was involved in a population expansion about 20,000 years ago.

Over time, populations migrated, and Haplogroup H is now spread out over Europe, and about 40% of all Europeans belong to mtDNA Haplogroup H.  Haplogroup U5 is the oldest European lineage, dating about 50,000 years ago, and may have come in contact with Neanderthals living in Europe at the time.

The classification of mtDNA Haplogroups should not be confused with the classification of Y-DNA Haplogroups.   Y-DNA and mtDNA each have a separate system for classifying the respective Haplogroup.  Y-DNA Haplogroups are based on a test of the Y-chromosome, and mtDNA Haplogroups are based on a test of mtDNA.  Even though Y-DNA has an A Haplogroup, and mtDNA has an A Haplogroup, these Haplogroups are completely different.  Both males and females inherit mtDNA, and only females pass on mtDNA.

Your mtDNA represents your direct female line, which would be your mother, her mother, and so forth.  Therefore, both males and females can take the mtDNA test, to learn about their direct female line.  Your mtDNA can be traced back thousands of years to one of the original females.  You Haplogroup defines which of these females was your ancestor.

Your mtDNA Haplogroup will tell you some information about the general geographic area where you Daughter of Eve originated or at least where that Haplogroup is most commonly found today:

Southern Europe:  J, K

Northern Europe:  H, T, U, V, X

Middle East:  J, N

Africa:  L, L1, L2 and L3

Asia:  A, B, C, D, F, G

Native American:  A, B, C, D and sometimes X

mtDNA Haplogroup X is found in Europe and Asia, and is believed to have migrated to the Americas about 15,000 years ago, making up a very small component of the Native American population."

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 13:15
Female lineages H and V are not Nordeuropean, at least in origin. H is very old and it is assumed to have originated in the Pyrenean region. V is related and has a nearby origin. It seems to have migrated to Scandinavia and Finland with the end of the Ice Age.

I do agree that they aren't Mediterranean but they aren't Northerner either. If anything they are Westerner. H is so spread out (48% of Europeans have it) that can only be considered as pan-European.

The classification of the other groups as Northern European is also a mistery to me, as they all originated in rather southern regions (obviously: the north was just an ice blanket all the way around).

According to this site: http://www.hooperconnections.com/mtdnatable.html

The Seven European Daughters of Eve Matriarchal Groups
were given their names by Prof. Bryan Sykes:

1) Helena: This clan lived in the ice-capped Pyrenees. As the climate warmed, Helenas descendants trekked northward to what is now England, some 12,000 years ago. Members of this group are now present in all European countries.

2) Jasmine: Her people had a relatively happy life in Syria, where they farmed wheat and raised domestic animals. Jasmines descendants traveled throughout Europe, spreading their agricultural innovations with them.

3) Katrine: Members of this group lived in Venice 10,000 years ago. Today most of Katrines clan lives in the Alps.

4) Tara: Sykes maternal ancestry goes back to this group, which settled in Tuscany 17,000 years ago. Descendants ventured across northern Europe and eventually crossed the English Channel.

5) Ursula: Users of stone tools, Ursulas clan members drifted across all of Europe.

6) Valda: Originally from Spain, Valda and her immediate descendants lived 17,000 years ago. Later relatives moved into northern Finland and Norway.

7) Xenia: Her people lived in the Caucasus Mountains 25,000 years ago. Just before the Ice Age, this clan spread across Europe, and even reached the Americas. [As Dr. Wallace discovered, the X pattern is a rare European lineage and is also among the Northern Native Americans such as the Ojibwa and Sioux.]

Haplogroup:
% of Europeans:
Years Before Present:
Origin:
H = Helena
Southern France
J = Jasmine
Middle East
K = Katrine
Northern Italy
T = Tara
Tuscany
U = Ursula
Greece
V = Valda
Northern Spain
X = Xenia
Georgia - Asia
I = Ina (new - 8th)
<2
Unknown

I can't find the origin of the following graphic but it's convenient to post anyhow, so we understand better the tree shape that those motherly haplogroups form:

I'm not sure where the root is (not in the star... or maybe yes?) but it's pretty clear how the diferent haplogroups are naturally grouped in pairs: U-K, T-J, H-V, with only X apart (coupled with I?).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
kroglu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote kroglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 21:10
Which haplogroups show turkic origin?
arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 06:20

Krolu, f you want to learn about Turkish speaking citizens of Turkey, I can answer your question. Because Turkish speaking people of different geograpies have different results. I had sent some article abstracts to another topic of this forum. You can read them from this page: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3520& ;PN=2&TPN=6chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

To me, especcially these 3 articles are important:>>

1.      Hum Genet. 2004 Jan;114(2):127-48. Epub 2003 Oct 29. Excavating Y-chromosome haplotype strata in Anatolia.
Cinnioglu C, King R, Kivisild T, Kalfoglu E, Atasoy S, Cavalleri GL, Lillie AS, Roseman CC, Lin AA, Prince K, Oefner PJ, Shen P, Semino O, Cavalli-Sforza LL, Underhill PA.
Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305-5120, USA.
>>

2.      Ann Hum Genet. 2001 Jul;65(Pt 4):339-49. A multistep process for the dispersal of a Y chromosomal lineage in the Mediterranean area.
Malaspina P, Tsopanomichalou M, Duman T, Stefan M, Silvestri A, Rinaldi B, Garcia O, Giparaki M, Plata E, Kozlov AI, Barbujani G, Vernesi C, Papola F, Ciavarella G, Kovatchev D, Kerimova MG, Anagnou N, Gavrila L, Veneziano L, Akar N, Loutradis A, Michalodimitrakis EN, Terrenato L, Novelletto A.
Department of Biology, University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy.
>>

3.      Am J Phys Anthropol. 2001 Jun;115(2):144-56. DNA diversity and population admixture in Anatolia.
Di Benedetto G, Erguven A, Stenico M, Castri L, Bertorelle G, Togan I, Barbujani G.
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Ferrara, I-44100 Ferrara, Italy.
>>

The cases of the research are selected  from the population of Anatolia in scientifical methods. The results show that a little percent of the population is from Central Asia. For Y chromosomes the result of first article is:
>>

"The major components (haplogroups E3b, G, J, I, L, N, K2, and R1; 94.1%) are shared with European and neighboring Near Eastern populations and contrast with only a minor share of haplogroups related to Central Asian (C, Q and O; 3.4%), Indian (H, R2; 1.5%) and African (A, E3*, E3a; 1%) affinity.">>

I will also try to summarize the results of Prof. Sykes, which were declared by him  and published in a newspaper in Turkey (The news is in Turkish, I can send it in PM if anyone wants) :>>

• The genes of ~10 000 people from Turkey have been analysed by Prof Sykes in his Genealogy Research Center in Oxford, England. The results of these 10 000 people are interesting:>>
    • Most of the women of Turkey are from the Jasmin clan  whose members lived in Syria 25,000 years ago.>>
    • A little portion of women of Turkey are from Ursula clan whose members lived in North Greece 45,000 years ago.>>
    • 25 % of men of Turkey are from Wodan clan whose members lived in Middle East 20,000 years ago. (30% of men from Norway are also from this clan)>>
    • 30% of men of Turkey are from Re clan whose members lived in Middle east 40,000 years ago.>>

>>

>>

arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 06:40

I said that Turkish speaking people of different geographies have different results. What do I mean. For example Yakuts: they are also Turkish speaking  but their genetic is different than Turks (Turks in the following table is used for Anatolian Turkish speaking people. Turkish speaking people all around the  world represent themselves first as "Krgz, Kazak, zbek,Uygur, Yakut, Trkmen/Ouz, Kpchak, etc" not as Turk. If you say "I am a Ouz Turk", then they say "I am a Kazak Turk". Since the languages of all these groups are different dialects of Turkish, they are Turkish speaking populations but their genetics are more similar with the other members of the geographical  area they live in. Here is a result of Yakuts:

"Tat-C (haplogroup 16) is a Y-chromosome lineage that originated in Central Asia and spread to Northeastern Europe with male migrations occurring over the last 4000 years. 7C (haplogroup 12) is its ancestral haplotype, which has been dated to about 6000 Y.B.P." http://racialreality.shorturl.com/

Tat-C Frequencies

Yakuts..........87%
Eskimos.........61%
Chukchi.........58%
Finns...........55%
Buryats.........52%
Tofalars........47%

Lithuanians.....47%
Lapps...........42%
Estonians.......37%
Maris...........33%
Latvians........32%
Nenets..........30%
Tuvans..........18%

Chuvash.........18%
Russians........14%
Ukrainians......11%
North Swedes.....8%
Gotlanders.......6%
Norwegians.......6%
Poles............4%
Germans..........3%
Armenians........3%
Slovakians.......3%
Danes............2%
Belarusians......2%
Turks............1%
7C Frequencies
Nenets..........50%
Tofalars........47%
Tuvans..........28%
Buryats.........15%
Maris...........17%
Czechs...........6%
Estonians........4%
Russians.........4%
Finns............2%
Yugoslavians.....2%
Cypriots.........2%
Poles............1%
Slovakians.......1%
Turks............1%

(Kittles et al. 1998,
Rosser et al. 2000, Dupuy et al. 2001,
Wells et al. 2001,
Lell et al. 2002 and Puzyrev et al. 2003)

arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 07:12
"The distribution of HG 3 chromosomes is also strongly clinal, but with a very different axis and more on a regional scale.... It reaches its highest frequencies in central-eastern Europe, comprising approximately half of the chromosomes in the Russian, Polish, and Slovakian samples; frequencies in the southeast and southwest are low. This distribution resembles the third principal component of variation of classical gene frequencies, which has been interpreted by some geneticists (Cavalli-Sforza et al. 1994) as marking the movement, from north of the Caspian Sea, of the Kurgan people, dated to ~7,000 YBP."

HG3 Frequencies in European, Central Asian and Mediterranean groups:
Poles...........54%
Russians........47%
Slovaks.........47%
Belarusians.....39%
Czechs..........38%
Slovenians......37%
Latvians........41%
Lithuanians.....34%
Norwegians......31%
Ukrainians......30%
Mari............29%
Estonians.......27%
Germans.........23%
Hungarians......22%
Lapps...........21%
Icelanders......21%
Romanians.......20%
Swedes..........18%
Chuvash.........18%
Yugoslavs.......16%
Dutchmen........13%
Bulgarians......12%
Finns...........10%
East Anglians....9%
Greeks...........8%
Scots............7%
Danes............7%
Georgians........6%
Armenians........6%
Turks............5%
Frenchmen........5%
Belgians.........4%
Ossetians........2%
Cypriots.........2%
Spaniards........2%
Italians.........1%
Portuguese.......1%
Irishmen.........1%
Cornish..........0%
Basques..........0%
Algerians........0%
North Africans...0%
(Rosser et al., Am J Hum Genet, 2000)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 07:30
Originally posted by kroglu

Which haplogroups show turkic origin?

I'd say that none. Of course you can make a deep study in diferent sublineages and find one or two that could fit with the original homeland of Turks before any expansion, whichever it is. It doesn't need to be an exclussive marker, anyhow, but it can be a haplogroup that is shared with other ethnicities (for instance Mongolians).

Yet, I can't trace that one. The same I can't trace a lineage for Indo-Europeans or other macro-ethnicities.

Why? The main reason is that, with few if any exceptions, peoples are assimilated to the elite's culture in the lapse of few generations. So today Anatolian Turks used to be Greeks, Frigians and Hittites (among other nations) some milennia ago.

That's the main point we are learning as we go through the process of studying in depth population genetics: that most of this diversification hapened in Paleolithic times, when the populations were small and relatively movile, and only relatively minor variations have happened with Neolithic difussion and much less with later invasions of small contingents of nomads or small groups of civilized colonists. Of course these migrations may have moved the pieces around a little but it's very difficult if not impossible to indentify such proccesses.

So there's no Turk marker (at least not anyone that is easily spottable) the same that there is no Latin marker or no Slavic marker. People dentify themselves by language and culture, not by genetics. And language/culture are much more easy to modify than genetics.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 08:09
Arfunda:

Looking at Hg16, it seems a good example of how dangerous is to rely only in these haploid lineages. It seems clear that it is strongest among some North Siberian peoples (including Inuits in this concept) and it would seem related to the expansion of Uralic languages into Northern Europe, as it is also strong among Finns and related or nearby populations.

Yet when we come to overal (non-haploid) genetics, Finns and the other strong Hg16 peoples of the Baltic are clearly Caucasoid, with some (but minor) Mongoloid apportation (see http://www.sitesled.com/members/racialreality/genetic_variat ion.html), what means that, despite the apparent dominance of "Uralic" purely paternal lineages among them, their actual genetic background is a lot less "Asian" and basically "European".

This could be caused by several reasons:
  • That "Asian" males tended successively to mate with "non-Asian" females.
  • That inside the small population of those peoples in most times, random (or even adaptative) factors have played in favor of the  Hg16 haplogroup (genetical drift).
  • That Hg16 is not original from Asia but from elsewhere, i.e. NE Europe. In fact Hg16 is a derivate of Hg26 (via Hg12), this could mean it was original from any area of NE Europe or Northern Asia. That is nowadays more concentrated (pure) among Yakuts and Inuits is not necessarily proof of their orign there.
  • A mix of the three.
Hg3 is more clearly "European" of origin: it is a rather recent mutation that derives from Hg1, which is dominant in Western Europe. If anything, we could speculate on it being distributed with Gravetian expansion eastward or, more likely, as a typical marker of Eastern European native lineages.

I have these maps suggesting how three diferent types of Y-chr lineages would have expanded in Europe (again, I can't recall the origin of them):

(1, Lower Paleolithic)
(2, epi-Paleolithic)
(3, Neolithic)

Notice that the maps are an over-simplification: at least for Western Europe, I can tell you that the main concentration of Paleolithic people wasn't in Spain but in Southern France. Equally, in Central Europe, the main Paleolithic concentration seems to have been north of the Alps and Balcan mountains, while in Eastern Europe, Ukraine has also yielded much more archaeological data than the Don region. But as overall scheme, can still give a good basic idea on how genetic distribution has formed.

I just have a little problem on the denominations, which are diferent to the ones used in the other map.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 09:11
Ok, I've found the reference we all needed (specially myself).

The nomenclature used in the initial map and others is not the best one. The problem is that some of the haplogroups are not well defined according to most recent work, even if some of those nomenclatures are pretty recent (for instance the one used in the European map above is just from 2000-01).

The apparently best tree is the following one:

(source: http://ycc.biosci.arizona.edu/nomenclature_system/fig1.html)

You will notice that the nomenclature here fits well with the last maps I posted and that the nomenclature used in the map at the initial post is the one marked as "alpha" or in yellow (scroll right). All groups marked in red in the rightmost columns are confusing earlier nomenclatures, because they correspond to diferent branches of the tree.

If we take a careful look we will see that R1b includes most (but not all) of Hg1 haplogroup and also Hg22, which can't anymore be taken as something diferent.

I haven't yet studied the other groups but one thing seems clear in this tree is that the previously posted tree are not as good as I thought before. Here the diferent lineages are shown not descending from each other but gradually separating from a branched tree. Hg7 is still oldest, forming now with Hg27 (an African lineage) the branch A, but it is not anymore placed at the origin, as Rosser does, but just in an old long branch.

The major lineages of the original map approximately correspond with the following branches of this revealing tree of Arizona University:
  • Hg1+Hg22: R1a (Hg1 not fully: it also includes other isolated R lineages, and parts of Q and P).
  • Hg2: is actually two branches: I, G and part of F.
  • Hg3: R1a1
  • Hg4: D
  • Hg7 (+Hg27): A
  • Hg8: E3a
  • Hg9: J
  • Hg10 (+Hg36): C
  • Hg12+Hg16: N (Hg16=N3)
  • Hg21: several branches of E (E*, E1 and E2)
  • Hg26+Hg13 (+Hg25): O (Hg13=O3c) (Hg26, includes also several K lineages)
  • Hg28: L
I'm sorry about the confusion caused but, if scholars are still using diferent nomenclatures in a confusing manner, we are much more likely to fall in these sorts of confusion. Hopefully in a few years, starting now, we will have a much clearer picture.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 09:53
More: I've managed to recreate an easier to read tree with three major nomenclatures:
  1. In black a major coherent global nomenclature (beta in the previous tree: Underhill et al. (2000)). It is the original one of this one.
  2. In blue the nomenclature of Arziona University (previous tree), also coherent but more detailed.
  3. In red the nomenclature of the initial map (alpha in the previous tree: Jobling and Tyler-Smith (2000) and Kaladjieva et al. (2001)). Gorups in brackets are the most incoherent ones.

And below is the World map with the colored cheeses for the above lineages (again I don't have the original source of this ):

Please, always remember that these references ONLY talk of surviving pure male-male lineages (Y chromosome) and that they aren't any overall genetic study.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 11:06

Boy is this thread difficult to read, physically. I guess because it accomodates itself to the width of the largest image.

I don't claim to know much about the specific subject, but at one time I did do a lot of work on numerical taxonomy, which I assume is the sort of technique used to generate these trees.

I'm aware therefore that an awful lot of subject decision-making goes into the choice of distance measures - i.e. both spatial geometries for inter-individual measures and inter-group measuring rules like nearest-neighbour, furthest-neighbour, centre-of-gravity and so on - and rules for defining optimal groupings.

So are there any links to something indicating how the trees were derived from the data?

I'm also a little chary of assuming that because one can possibly identify a root class, that that indicates a single individual - the pseudo-Adam or the pseudo-Eve.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:00

Maju I'm not good at genetics but like colours a lot.From this map is it right to infer that S.Asia n C.Asia r the two places where the rate of intermingling between different human populations is highest.

Jai Badri Vishal
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:09
Or alternativly, areas where a whole load of different people have passed through over the mellenia.
In contrast, the more of a geographic dead end an area is, the fewer branches of the human family tree are represented there.
Makes sense really, geographical determinism and all that.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>