Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical maps of Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical maps of Bulgaria
    Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 05:59
Originally posted by Menumorut

Seems that vlachs were quite majoritary then.

"Thus, when the Vlachs returned with their Cuman allies, they found the region undefended and regained not only their old territory but the whole of Moesia, thus uniting Vlach and Bulgarian lands."

I think, that this "theyr old territory" is not theyr ethnic territory, but is the territory which they were captured in the first period of that uprising.

And  it is interesting, that by the time of the Turkish rule( the end of XIVcent. - 1878) many thowsands bulgarians were refugees - they moved to Wallachia. And i think, that they are very small number novadays(prevously in Bucuresti). Part of them were returned to Bulgaria after 1878, but the other part were slowly assimilated in Romania.

Is interesting, that today many settlements, rivers and mountains in Romania are with slavic names...

And thanks for the explanation about the vlachs and romanians! Smile

Edited by The Chargemaster - 05-Jun-2006 at 06:04
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 11:22
I think, that this "theyr old territory" is not theyr ethnic territory, but is the territory which they were captured in the first period of that uprising.

think that Wikipedia reffers to the Haemus mountains as land of VLachs in this words.

And  it is interesting, that by the time of the Turkish rule( the end of XIVcent. - 1878) many thowsands bulgarians were refugees - they moved to Wallachia. And i think, that they are very small number novadays(prevously in Bucuresti). Part of them were returned to Bulgaria after 1878, but the other part were slowly assimilated in Romania.

I know that there are villages with a Bulgarian minority in the South Romanian Plain. The biggest is Branesti I think, I passed by there.

The immigration from Bulgaria is a phenomenon about I have not data. I found only a Romanian text which says that Bulgarians in Banat (which are catholic) are the oldest Bulgarians in Romania (from 1688) and that the Bulgarians from Oltenia, Muntenia and Dobrogea are from 18-19th century. In 1838 in Wallachia were registered ~100.000 Bulgarians.

The Wallachia Bulgarians were strongly asimilated, only 2.000 were registered in 1992, comparing to Banat Bulgarians, 7737.
http://www.intercultural.ro/carti/interculturalitate/bulgari.html

I found info in English about Banat Bulgarians on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banat_Bulgarians

Is interesting, that today many settlements, rivers and mountains in Romania are with slavic names...

This is due to the medieval custom to adopt the translated names of ruling people.

For example, the Cozia monastery ( http://romania.ibelgique.com/dep_oltenie-mon-co.htm ) is mentioned in a contemporary document (end of 14th century) as the "Nucet monastery", but it remained with the Cuman translation of Cozia, meaning the same thing, "nut grove".

Other examples are in Dobrogea, were names of localities known from antiquity are preserved today in their Slavian or turkish translation. For example the ancient Petra became Kamena, Lycostomo became Valkov and others.

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 12:40
Uhm, I see quotes from the Wiki about the "Vlach-Bulgarian empire". But it should be noted that this topic is also not very clear and extremely disputable. F.e. it's not clear if the term Vlach had at that time a purely ethic meaning or did it mean simply "mountaineer, shepherd". Another question is the following - the Byzantines (I forgot exactly who, was it Choniates or Akropolit) say that the Vlachs called themselves before Moesians and now adopted the name Vlachs (and, of course, they could've used Vlach in some sort of typical Greek contempt). But we know that Moesians was the old name, used by the Byzantines, for the Bulgarians from Danubian Bulgaria, region Moesia, at that time - Paristrion theme. On the other hand there was the theme Bulgaria, which included the lands to the west of Moesia/Paristrion, in modern Macedonia and Sofia and Bdin regions. Of course, the people from this theme were called Bulgarians, but how were called the people from the Paristrion theme? All in all, a lot of questions in a typical Balkan mess, from which you become even more confused than before! And nothing's certain...
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 13:34

think that Wikipedia reffers to the Haemus mountains as land of VLachs in this words.

Well, one other meaning can be, that in this case, the termin "vlachs" maybe is used not about some vachian population in Hemus mountain, but only about the leaders of that uprising Asen and Petar.

And about the bulgarians in Banat: is interesting, that they were not assimilated, because theyr religion is different than the religion of their neighbours in Banat - romanians and serbs. They are catholics, but not ortodox like us.

And two examples for slavic names:

the town of Cernavoda - in bulgarian "Cherna voda" means "black water"
the ruler Radu Praznaglava - in bulgarian "Prazna glava" means "Empty head"
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 16:28
Uhm, I see quotes from the Wiki about the "Vlach-Bulgarian empire". But it should be noted that this topic is also not very clear and extremely disputable. F.e. it's not clear if the term Vlach had at that time a purely ethic meaning or did it mean simply "mountaineer, shepherd". Another question is the following - the Byzantines (I forgot exactly who, was it Choniates or Akropolit) say that the Vlachs called themselves before Moesians and now adopted the name Vlachs (and, of course, they could've used Vlach in some sort of typical Greek contempt). But we know that Moesians was the old name, used by the Byzantines, for the Bulgarians from Danubian Bulgaria, region Moesia, at that time - Paristrion theme. On the other hand there was the theme Bulgaria, which included the lands to the west of Moesia/Paristrion, in modern Macedonia and Sofia and Bdin regions. Of course, the people from this theme were called Bulgarians, but how were called the people from the Paristrion theme? All in all, a lot of questions in a typical Balkan mess, from which you become even more confused than before! And nothing's certain...

In my knowledge, the term "vlach" was never used else than as an ethnonime.

What a Byzantine sayed about something in a past epoch is very prezumable to be fake. The Byzantines almost always were making fantastic afirmations about the past. They were not having real information sources.

But when a Byzantine (or other people) says about somebody that they are vlachs, is very clear that he refers to a Latin speaking population. You could ask about this any historian.

Well, one other meaning can be, that in this case, the termin "vlachs" maybe is used not about some vachian population in Hemus mountain, but only about the leaders of that uprising Asen and Petar.

I think that Wikipedia article is made of the study of the original documents and the sense of the article is clear and is not what you say.
In this article the Vlachs appears as the population from Haemus mountains and the fact that they could go to founding a so called 'empire' proves that they were numerous and could rival with the Slav speaking people in Bulgaria.

the town of Cernavoda - in bulgarian "Cherna voda" means "black water"
the ruler Radu Praznaglava - in bulgarian "Prazna glava" means "Empty head"

Cernavoda is on the place of the ancient Greek-Roman town of Axiopolis.

I know that in ancient Greek language, Axeinos means "dark coloured" so Cernavoda could be a translation of that name.

Edited by Menumorut - 05-Jun-2006 at 16:29

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 06:28

Cernavoda is on the place of the ancient Greek-Roman town of Axiopolis.

I know that in ancient Greek language, Axeinos means "dark coloured" so Cernavoda could be a translation of that name.

Thanks, Menumorut Smile

Do you have some maps about the history of Wallachia, Moldavia and United Romania? If you want, you can create a new thread here: "Historical maps of Romania", or "Maps about the Romanian history" or some of that sort, or you can post your maps in the thread "Historical maps of the Balkans" Thumbs Up
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 07:54

AFAIK "Axeinos" is a term replacing an earlier Iranian word meaning "dark". But for Greeks it seems it ment "inhospitable" (as in Pontos Axeinos).
I wonder if there are any premises for contact (an intermediary toponym, cultural contacts) at the times of  the genesis of the slavic term "Cernavoda". And after all, this settlement is not on Black Sea's shores but about 50 km inland, on Danube's shore.

What a Byzantine sayed about something in a past epoch is very prezumable to be fake. The Byzantines almost always were making fantastic afirmations about the past. They were not having real information sources.
I wonder what evidences do you have for your original interpretation of Byzantine sources. LOL

I think that Wikipedia article is made of the study of the original documents
I really doubt that. Most Wikipedia articles are common-sense briefs. Wikipedia policies discourage the original research and urge the setting within mainstream/fashionable opinions which require mainstream/fashionable authorities.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 10:11
Do you have some maps about the history of Wallachia, Moldavia and United Romania? If you want, you can create a new thread here: "Historical maps of Romania", or "Maps about the Romanian history" or some of that sort, or you can post your maps in the thread "Historical maps of the Balkans"

I put that link: http://www.eliznik.org.uk/RomaniaHistory/index.htm

From my searches, is the best collection of maps for the history of Romania on the web. I have not scanned maps.

"Axeinos" is a term replacing an earlier Iranian word meaning "dark". But for Greeks it seems it ment "inhospitable" (as in Pontos Axeinos).
I wonder if there are any premises for contact (an intermediary toponym, cultural contacts) at the times of  the genesis of the slavic term "Cernavoda". And after all, this settlement is not on Black Sea's shores but about 50 km inland, on Danube's shore.

Than the name Cerna Voda could be the translation of another ancient name or an original Bulgarian toponime.

Axiopolis was an important ancient city, here was placed the Roman commercial fleet on Danube. In prehistory here was discovered the famous "Thinker" statuette.

In 10th century AD a medieval city was founded and a stone with the name of "Rotislav" was discovered from that time.

Edited by Menumorut - 06-Jun-2006 at 10:13

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 13:29

Than the name Cerna Voda could be the translation of another ancient name or an original Bulgarian toponime.

Axiopolis was an important ancient city, here was placed the Roman commercial fleet on Danube. In prehistory here was discovered the famous "Thinker" statuette.

In 10th century AD a medieval city was founded and a stone with the name of "Rotislav" was discovered from that time.
It could be. But it could be as well a new name.

I'm still thinking what exactly triggers the "dark"/"black" part of this toponym? (Wrter und Sachen Tongue).
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 23:11
This is just for fun, not provocation Smile
The inscription is San-Stefano Bulgaria

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 20:36
http://www.allempires.com/

Cernavoda is on the place of the ancient Greek-Roman town of Axiopolis.I know that in ancient Greek language, Axeinos means "dark coloured" so Cernavoda could be a translation of that name.

Ok, but guess who translated it.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 00:02

Ok, but guess who translated it.

The SLavs, surely. The conquerors modified all the toponyms whose meanings they were understanding and imposed them.

In Transylvania, documents mention Romanian names of some places in the first centuries of thesecond millenium but the toponymes used today by Romanians for that places are later Hungarian translations.

greco View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 17:05
greco View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 09:33
greco View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 12:37
greco View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 17:14
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:46
Greco,the last map there are very mistakes.The region that I live(Southwest)there are no one muslim,but the region is painted in red.It is a big noncense.This map is false!!!

Edited by Red_Lord - 06-Sep-2006 at 08:52
"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
greco View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 16:25
greco View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 07:16
Sokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sokrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 07:49
 As a bulgarian I am obliged to say that many of the presented maps do not match the truth. Generally speaking, at  the beginning of the 20 century the lands amid the Balkan Mountain and the Aegean cost were (and still are ) quite mixed. The Aegean Thrace and Macedonia (the term has nothing to do with FYROM) have always been dominated by the greeks and bulgarians and even turks were minority. The same is the situation with areas now part of Bulgaria  - all along the river valley of  Maritsa (Imvros), the cities of Burgas (Pyrgos)  and Varna (Odesos)- all were parts of the Byzantine empire, which were predominantly inhabited by bulgarians, but there were significant turkish and greek minoritites. Something which is not presented on the above maps. Nowadays many people from greek descend live here who determine their own status as bulgarians.
  Concerning the map of the minorities posted by Greco, there are inaccuracies about the greek minority. Large greek minority nowadays live in the city of Plovdiv (Filipopolis) wherever is disposed a greek consulate. People from greek descent live in  Stara Zagora (Irinopolis) and the adjascent areas , who have set up Greek association . On the basis of linguistic trail in words used by the older people,mainly in the villages around the city, I would say that the number of people of greek descent is much larger than the officials say.

Edited by Sokrates - 09-Sep-2006 at 09:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>