Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

british vs the irsh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: british vs the irsh
    Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 17:03
Originally posted by gcle2003

Winchester?

No special drinking stories (except on Friday nights with the College against the Chavs). I just happen to reside in Winchester at the moment (usually a London boy though.)

Phah, all you Aussies and Kiwis are just Brits in denial!Wink I challenge you to watch the Barry MacKenzie movies!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 22:23
In a battle on a neutral country's territory, the British would win hands down. As I have said earlier, the rough Scot and Northern Irishman will help with the also tough English and Welsh to defeat the Irish Republican forces. The Irish were always good fighters, but so were the English, Scots, and Welsh. They just do not get the credit.

Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 22:06
Irish all the way Wink
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 12:46
İRİSH ofcourse
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 03:02

That is very True!

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 14:29
Where do you think you Australians got it from?

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 12:01

The Irish and British, great Beer drinkers???

Ha Ha Ha I Laugh at you, Ha Ha Ha...

Come down under and we will teach you 'How' to drink BEER! One of our ex-prime ministers (Bob Hawke) held the World Beer sculling record.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 11:40
Originally posted by Dampier

What, Irish as better beer drinkers! 'Pon my soul laddie, you fellows need to get into the East End and see how real (English)men drink! I cahllenge any Irishman to come "play" in Soho.

On a serious note Ireland can never win but can't lose either. I am always amused at how the Americans defend them though (Amusing how one of the biggest terrorist organisations in the world was funded by America....well, actually today they are less terrorist (unfortunately they left the freedom fighter stage too) and more crooks).

And on the historical note England isnt above fighting amongst itself (English civil war, War of Roses.etc).

Still, I challenge any Irishman to come to Winchester and have a drinking competition! Bring it on!Wink

I would take the United Kingdom as a whole over Ireland in a beer drinking contest. The Scots pretty big drinkers(could probably compete with Ireland) and since Northern Ireland is part of the UK, the drinking trophy goes to the British.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 10:50
Winchester?

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 05:27
What, Irish as better beer drinkers! 'Pon my soul laddie, you fellows need to get into the East End and see how real (English)men drink! I cahllenge any Irishman to come "play" in Soho.

On a serious note Ireland can never win but can't lose either. I am always amused at how the Americans defend them though (Amusing how one of the biggest terrorist organisations in the world was funded by America....well, actually today they are less terrorist (unfortunately they left the freedom fighter stage too) and more crooks).

And on the historical note England isnt above fighting amongst itself (English civil war, War of Roses.etc).

Still, I challenge any Irishman to come to Winchester and have a drinking competition! Bring it on!Wink
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 20:03
Originally posted by Paul

Only an American could reguard Irish beer as drinkable.

I could drink Guinness all day.
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 19:58
Originally posted by Fighter Darrwn Shan

I think the irsh would win

First assemble a regular army(NOT ANOTHER IRA). Then spend more money on it, u irish are rich i dont see the reason why u dont. Then u can try and put up a fight, but i still dont think u will win.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 06:30
The original question doesn't state what they would beat each other AT.

Ireland is one of those countries (like guess who) that had to develop its own games so it could win at them. Smile

Of course, the English developed most of the others, but we still lose at them. (Except for the World cup this time ... where's the emoticon for 'crossed fingers'?)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 06:26
Originally posted by Tobodai

As Americans you must understand...all of our own native beer is totally undrinkable.

I honestly dont even like beer but I can tell American beer is the worst, and Guiness is the only one I like.  German beers are too strong (anbd if I want strong alcohal content Ill do vodka thank you)

In a spirit of helpfulness: German beer sold domestically isn't so strong as the stuff exported (or brewed abroad under licence). Same goes for Belgian beer.

and there isnt that much option-wise on the cheap.
HOMERS HAND View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 09:01
i miss my old accont fighter darrwn shan when i was fighter darrwn shan i was new now im homers hand
love is but one of the paths we cross
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 12:55

Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
JeremyScott View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote JeremyScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 02:55
I would go with the Irish. They can outdrink anyone including us Texans. Anyone who can outdrink a Texan has to be a hard fighter.
God Bless Texas
Remember The Alamo
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 06:02

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Originally posted by Paul

Only an American could reguard Irish beer as drinkable.

Whats wrong with Irish beer? Please explain.

Brewery No. Details
Diageo 3 Guinness, Smithwicks, Harp.
Heineken 1 Murphy's.
Scottish & Newcastle 1 Beamish & Crawford..
Interbrew 1 The former Bass brewery in Belfast.
Independents 0 There are no established independent breweries in Ireland.
Brewpubs 3 Two of these are in Dublin.
Microbreweries 11 Considering the hostile climate - no progressive beer duty, Guinness's control of the on-trade - it's surprising how large this sector is.

Only 20 Breweries in the country, the microbreweries are mostly a recent thing. Ireland is your standard cooperate mass vat brewed beer abomination country. Interbrew, Scottish and Newcastle, Heinekan and Diageo are foriegn.

Compare this to,

Germany 3,000 different brands of beer

UK 2,500

Belgium 2,000

Each of these countries wth less than 100 beers from major brewers, the rest local of small brewery beers.

Ireland's only beer of note Guiness is good by massed produced beer standards but hardly a great beer, I'm afraid has long been British and only gets noted because of it's distribution deal it gets by being part of the Diagio corperation, the world's largest hospitality suppliers. Diagio pretends to be Irish to produce Guiness and Baileys, pretends to be Russian to sell Smirnoff, pretend to be American to sell Burger King and Dunkin Donuts and so on.

http://www.diageobrands.com/indexx.html

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 04:05

As Americans you must understand...all of our own native beer is totally undrinkable.

I honestly dont even like beer but I can tell American beer is the worst, and Guiness is the only one I like.  German beers are too strong (anbd if I want strong alcohal content Ill do vodka thank you) and there isnt that much option-wise on the cheap.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 23:41
Their stout is good, not sure if i've ever tried any of their standard beer.
What is cafferies (sp?) exactly?
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>