Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Evolution????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evolution????
    Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 08:58

Im  asking  for a brief answer; can you build a building without ground floor? you cannot. how can you build a theory without explaining the origin of first living organism? Give me a logical answer.chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

> >

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 09:04
Ahmet if u want ur building to be a strong one n durable be sure to have a strong foundation before builiding the ground floor.
Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 10:33
This should belong to Intelectual Discussion. But anyhow my answer is: we still don't know for sure what causes gravity but we know how it works. Does that mean that gravity doesn't exist? If you think so, I tell you:  throw yourself from a tower and I will prove you how wrong you are. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 03:21
LOL @ Maju.

Well evolution is a theory, and science has many such theories. Just remember that theories are supported by empirical evidence, the basis of scientific discovery being that the theory with the greatest empirical evidence should be regarded as the most trustworthy. To my knowledge there is no other school of thought which explains the things evolution does and is supported by as much empirical evidence. But hey, you don't wanna buy it, there will always be an alternative to evolution if that doesn't satisfy you.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 03:25

moved to  Intelectual Discussion forum.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 03:36
Originally posted by ahmetcelik

Im  asking  for a brief answer; can you build a building without ground floor? you cannot. how can you build a theory without explaining the origin of first living organism? Give me a logical answer.chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

> >

You cant build a religion without people to invent it first! 

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 05:37
Anyhow, the theory of evolution does have some plausible explanations on how the first living criature came to existence; what hasn't been able so far is to reproduce the proccess in laboratory (only the main biological constituents have been artificially re-created by such methods so far). But that doesn't mean that the theory is wrong: it means that we are so far unable to reproduce it with our current technology and knowledege.

We can't reproduce the Big Bang either or the formation of Earth but that doesn't mean that the most respectable theories dealing with those issues are wrong: it just means that our means are limited.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 06:11

Originally posted by Constantine XI

LOL @ Maju.

Well evolution is a theory,

No it's not. It's an observed fact. Darwinian natural selection, Lamarckian/Lysenkoist inheritance of acquired characteristics, and intelligent design are all theories of evolution, in that they attempt to explain the fact of evolution.

The Darwinian and Lamarckian theories are scientific, in that they can be tested empirically. Intelligent design, while it is a theory, is not a scientific theory, in that it cannot be tested empirically. It's proper place therefore is in the category of religion, or at least metaphysics. It has no place in a science class whatsoever.

and science has many such theories. Just remember that theories are supported by empirical evidence, the basis of scientific discovery being that the theory with the greatest empirical evidence should be regarded as the most trustworthy. To my knowledge there is no other school of thought which explains the things evolution does and is supported by as much empirical evidence. But hey, you don't wanna buy it, there will always be an alternative to evolution if that doesn't satisfy you.

As I obvious from the above I think you are confusing evolution with Darwinism (or possibly Lamarckism or some other theory). It's a shorthand way of referring to something which has lots of attendant dangers.

'Evolution' is not like the theory of Relativity. Evolution is like the fact that the speed of light is observed to be constant in vacuum.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 06:20
The theory of evolution has nothing to do with how life started. Thaes the logical answer, but some people just don't get it.

Lets put it another way, how can you know the speed of light if you are noo sure how the universe began?
Doesn't seem so smart now does it?
Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 07:34

well it is a Theory. i think, how can anybody prove something happened like a billion years ago to be a solid fact??!! thats imposible, so its a theory and more discoveries MAY prove it wrong or prove it more correct than other theoris.

its not that easy to determine how things evolved in millions of years just like that.

about humans being Apes and the rest of the theory its not fully proven yet and there is something called a missing link between what they found and humans.

its also said that humans and those stright walking monkeis did exist at the same time and lived at the same period !

even if this theories about earth creation were proven more to be correct and more logical than other theories i personally dont think that these happened by themselvs just like that. there must be a question of Why? and there there will be an answer like God wanted to creat universe like that !

Edited by azimuth
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 08:15
I agree with Cywr. Evolution is not a theory of the origin of life. It has nothing to do with 'creation' or origin of life. It just describes what happened after life got started. Generally the concept of evolution points to the beginning of the process of evolution, but not to A Beginning.
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 08:36
Originally posted by azimuth

about humans being Apes and the rest of the theory its not fully proven yet and there is something called a missing link between what they found and humans.

There's no actual missing link anymore. Lucy and the other Australopithecus are the "missing link". Of course we don't have fossils of every single evolutionary step but we have enough steps to see the overall picture of hominid and human evolution.

Additionally by mere genetic study, the closer living relative to chimpanzees and bonobos (Pan gender) are not gorillas or other apes but us (Homo gender). We are so close that some scientists defend that we should be in the smame biological gender, though, of course cultural prejudices and maybe other reasons play against such a reclasification.

its also said that humans and those stright walking monkeis did exist at the same time and lived at the same period ! 

If for straight walking monkeys (quite an unscientifical description: great apes are not monkeys: they don't have tail!) you mean the Australopithecus gender, they actually did share the African plains with our ancestors Homo habilis and Homo erectus. But neither of them are yet members of our species (Homo sapiens) nor they had a cultural developement that could compare to ours. Only with the most evolved and big-headed spcies Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens true reather sophisticated technologies evolve. These two species date from c. 200,000 years back and there were no Australopitheci anymore, probably H. erectus had outcompeted them long before.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 08:52
Originally posted by Aeolus

I agree with Cywr. Evolution is not a theory of the origin of life. It has nothing to do with 'creation' or origin of life. It just describes what happened after life got started. Generally the concept of evolution points to the beginning of the process of evolution, but not to A Beginning.

I wouldn't fully agree with this. Ultimately Biology and its evolutionary paradigm do aim to clear up how exactly life was formed initially. True that we don't have the exact answer and we might never know for sure, true that the diferents theories on the origins of life are not strictly part of the theory of evolution but it's clearly related.

Science aims to explain everything acording to material evidence and logic. If there was a God behind the process, science would confront that fact via material evidence and logic too, the fact that no evidence has been given to prove that God exists, while not denying its existence and possible influence, keeps it out of the field of science proper: relegated to the less prestigious fields of philosophy and theology... and to the personal intimate convictions of each one.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 16:10

Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Aeolus

I wouldn't fully agree with this. Ultimately Biology and its evolutionary paradigm do aim to clear up how exactly life was formed initially. True that we don't have the exact answer and we might never know for sure, true that the diferents theories on the origins of life are not strictly part of the theory of evolution but it's clearly related.

Science aims to explain everything acording to material evidence and logic. If there was a God behind the process, science would confront that fact via material evidence and logic too, the fact that no evidence has been given to prove that God exists, while not denying its existence and possible influence, keeps it out of the field of science proper: relegated to the less prestigious fields of philosophy and theology... and to the personal intimate convictions of each one.

Yes but the evolutionary theory is a scientific theory about how life has developed meaning there is a premise that life already exists. It does not, as a matter of course, have explanations on the origins of life. The study of naturalistic origin of life is a separate field known as Abiogenesis.

Certainly it is valid to say that biological evolution and the basis of naturalistic clarification of Abiogenesis, called molecular evolution, have some kind of relation between each other but still we mustn't confuse the true nature of evolution.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 16:39

Originally posted by azimuth

There's no actual missing link anymore. Lucy and the other Australopithecus are the "missing link". Of course we don't have fossils of every single evolutionary step but we have enough steps to see the overall picture of hominid and human evolution.

Yup. Godd ole Lucy lol. The real debate about evolution now, is the fate of the Neandrethals. We know they existed in many parts of Europe, but no one is sure if they jsut died off or if they mated with early Homo sapiens and kind of ceased to exist as a species that way.

Also, people need to understnad that modern day apes are not on the same evolutionary path as humans. They are not early forms of ourselve.  Millions of eyars ago, apes and humans had a common ancestor. BUT, they soon broke off into two distinctly different evolutionary paths....one leading to Homo Sapiens and one leading to modern day apes. This is where believers in the creationist theory try and make their biggest point...."If we evolved from apes, then why are there still apes?" - but no one ever said that creationists were smart

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 17:12

This should belong to Intelectual Discussion. But anyhow my answer is: we still don't know for sure what causes gravity but we know how it works. Does that mean that gravity doesn't exist? If you think so, I tell you:  throw yourself from a tower and I will prove you how wrong you are. 

Actually I learned about what we think does cause gravity, they're particles called "exchange mesons" which transmit forces, the ones for gravity are called gravitons.

Member of IAEA
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 18:08
Originally posted by Genghis

Actually I learned about what we think does cause gravity, they're particles called "exchange mesons" which transmit forces, the ones for gravity are called gravitons.

Yes, that's the theory, but no one has seen any graviton yet. It has all the limitations of theoretical science. There are major problems of proportionality in order to observe gravity and no way about detecting gravitons in a particle accelarator. Not yet and not for much time to come.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 18:17
Originally posted by Illuminati

We know they existed in many parts of Europe, but no one is sure if they jsut died off or if they mated with early Homo sapiens and kind of ceased to exist as a species that way.

It's already confirmed that Neanderthals didn't got mixed with modern humans (DNA testing, I think).

Neanderthals were either killed or outcompeted by our ancestors, who apparently were more flexible in thought and adaptability. Not bigger brains, actually Neanders had slightly bigger heads, just more flexible for adaptation, possibly more creative. Neanderthals were actually much stronger and were better adapted to European cold climate but still, our grandparents just displaced them to the point of extintion.

Sometimes I think that Neanders could resemble the dwarfs of legends, they were smaller but much stronger than us and, without being clearly inferior, they were simply diferent.

They lasted for many milennia, co-existing with us, till they they finally disapeared anyhow. It wasn't any sudden proccess.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 19:13

What makes evolution still a theory is that scientist don't know which order it exactly happened. There were so many Human forms that went to a dead end or continued we are just not sure which path evolution took for us to get here. But the scientist can take the skulls and put them in one row and show the evolution change from the beginning to where we are now showing the brain cavity grow to the dental changing.

Go here and click on documentary http://www.becominghuman.org. After that at the top of the window showing the documentary click on lineages. Then click on number three The Human family Tree, now there are three theories you can look at. If you want to under evolution further watch the little documentary.

So far scientist found out you need two key things for the start of life, water and energy, I would say three as in amino acid, but don't quote me on that. Anyways scientist have been finding new life and life starting in places they thought were prviously in possible. They once thought life can only be started in a perfect enviroment, supposedly like earth. But life has proven scientist wrong as it's found in the most extreme of areas, including radioactive areas. Life is alot tougher then scientist once believed. If I can find a article on this I'll post it, but this is stuff I heard in a documnetary.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 20:16

Originally posted by Illuminati

We know they existed in many parts of Europe, but no one is sure if they jsut died off or if they mated with early Homo sapiens and kind of ceased to exist as a species that way.

It's already confirmed that Neanderthals didn't got mixed with modern humans (DNA testing, I think).

Neanderthals were either killed or outcompeted by our ancestors, who apparently were more flexible in thought and adaptability. Not bigger brains, actually Neanders had slightly bigger heads, just more flexible for adaptation, possibly more creative. Neanderthals were actually much stronger and were better adapted to European cold climate but still, our grandparents just displaced them to the point of extintion.

Sometimes I think that Neanders could resemble the dwarfs of legends, they were smaller but much stronger than us and, without being clearly inferior, they were simply diferent.

They lasted for many milennia, co-existing with us, till they they finally disapeared anyhow. It wasn't any sudden proccess.

They have in no way found enough remains to be sure , even with using DNA evidence that Neanderthals didn't breed with early Homo sapiens. This debate is still very much alive in teh scientific community

Heck, They aren't even 100% positive that early humans migrated out of Africa only. Most believe that all human life started in Africa and then moved out, but tehy can't disprove other theories.

Edited by Illuminati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>