Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Admiral YI Sun Shin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Easternknight View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admiral YI Sun Shin
    Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 20:45
whats a good name [serious] for a Korean History Forum other then Korean History forum and would members on here like to be mods [points to Pekau and Ju-mong] :D
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 21:06
I don't know if I deserve to be a mod, due to my age, lack of knowledge and habit of presenting ideas without reference... but I could try if you don't have enough people. My biggest concern is that I hate to ban people. I don't have the heart to do it..Pinch

I will let you know if I can think of the name...

By the way, why start Korean forum? Are you Korean as well or...?

Join us.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 21:45
You didn't know I was Korean?....... :(

well, im looking toward a small solid community to begin so I need to have people who know their stuff and can be relied on as I expect most members will be uh, "noobs" in regards to Korean History.

Since your fairly balanced and still very knowldegedmejbahjble
[I can't spell] and I would love for you and people like you to be MODs [Age doesn't matter as long as your mature {general statment} so yeah.]

If you can't ban someone just tell me and I'll ban them XD
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 23:47
Originally posted by Easternknight

whats a good name [serious] for a Korean History Forum other then Korean History forum and would members on here like to be mods [points to Pekau and Ju-mong] :D
Originally posted by pekau

I don't know if I deserve to be a mod, due to my age, lack of knowledge and habit of presenting ideas without reference... but I could try if you don't have enough people. My biggest concern is that I hate to ban people. I don't have the heart to do it..
I will let you know if I can think of the name... By the way, why start Korean forum? Are you Korean as well or...?
Originally posted by Easternknight

You didn't know I was Korean?....... :(
well, im looking toward a small solid community to begin so I need to have people who know their stuff and can be relied on as I expect most members will be uh, "noobs" in regards to Korean History. Since your fairly balanced and still very knowldegedmejbahjble [I can't spell] and I would love for you and people like you to be MODs [Age doesn't matter as long as your mature {general statment} so yeah.] If you can't ban someone just tell me and I'll ban them XD

Easternknight & pekau, can you please discuss starting your forum by PM? Smile  Thanks.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 12:21

Got it.

Join us.
kevpkevp View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kevpkevp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 16:33

Don't know... Japan at first welcomed the foreign merchants... but because it began to threaten the power of Japanese merchants and their religion, trades were completely banned afterwards. Only few Dutch and Chinese traders were allowed to trade under careful watch in Nagasaki, and Joseon later on... but merchants trying to spy on Hideyoshi's health is highly unlikely. Possible, yes. But highly unlikely.

The European(largely Dutch) merchants were present in Japan during the time of Hideyoshi.  It was Ieyasu, who had taken the control of Japan after Hideyoshi's death, that banned the foreign merchants and persecuted the Christians.  In fact, prior to the war, Hideyoshi had attempted to purchase the Portugese battleships from the European merchants in Japan.

I doubt the Chinese merchants were TRYING to spy on Hideyoshi's health, but the health of such high ranking officer of the court was always an issue of interests for the merchants.  Especially back in the days, a life-threatening illness of the ruler of a nation was a huge economic issue.  Also, Hideyoshi was old enough to face death even in the age standard of the modern time.  So just the slightest hint of his illness would have, quietly but still widely, spread all over the nation.  The merchants, who would have had a keen interest in anything that might reasonably affect the national economy, would have never failed to pick up such information.

But then again, I am only suggesting this as a possibility.  There were other ways for the Ming court to get a hold of that information.

Though Yi Sunshin did the wonders, we must not overestimate him as well. It is true that he blockaded the supply and communication line... but it did not affected too much to the overall of Imjin War. Japanese simply pillaged the Joseon citizens for food, though now I think about it... maybe their gunpowder advantage may have disappeared because making gunpowder is quite difficult for common soldiers, and the mass production of gunpowders must be supplied from Japan... maybe that was one of the reason why they lost war?

Actually, his success had a lot to do with the overall result.  The Japan's beginning tactic was to capture the King and declare Joseon theirs.  The Japanese land army, who had run quite a distance to capture the Joseon King and his court, could not gain further ground due to the limited supply thanks to Admiral Yi's blockade.  Their supply line was already being stretched due to rise of citizen militias, but it was Admiral Yi's blockade that reduced their supply at the doorstep.

Like you have mentioned, the regular soldiers could not make gunpowders.  The gundpowder production technique was a trade secret that was kept on tight watch on national scale back then, so the invasion force did not have a gunpowder maker on their staff.  Also, bullets, replacement armaments such as guns and cannons, and fresh troops had to be supplied from the Japanese mainland.  Well, Admiral Yi put a stop to that.  In the first winter of the Imjin War, many Japanese soldiers died of coldness because the majority of them was not given suitable winter clothes, again thanks to the blockade.

Admiral Yi's blockade limited the options for the Japanese generals on land, and also increased the fear among the Japanese soldiers that they might not make home, which would have depleted their morals significantly, since the most of them were not professional soldiers.  They were drafted citizens who eventually wanted to go home.  The blocked path to their way back would have made the troops' morals to dip to the bottom of the barrel, and the Japanese generals would have had difficulties fighting battles with such troops.  On top of that, the limited supply of bullets and gunpowders forced the generals to pick their battles, and by the end of the War, they were pretty much stuck inside Busan and neighboring regions in fear of them running out of resources.  Had Admiral Yi failed to block the supply line from the mainland, the Japanese army would have had more strategic options, some of which might have brought down the entire nation of Joseon.

Also, the Admiral Yi's reputation even reached the ears of Hideyoshi, who had prompty ordered to avoid Yi's fleet as much as possible.  In such case, Japan could not send, not only the resources, but also the new troops to strengthen their dominance over the conquered regions, which further isolated the Japanese troops in Joseon.  The Admiral Yi's blockade, coupled with Japan's haste in chasing the King, left many Japanese soldiers alone in the hostile land(which they made even more hostile by pillaging it).

There was a reason Xerxes abandoned his Greece campaign after loss at Salamis, even though he still had a massive land army.  Such a large oversea campaign cannot be maintained without a steady naval support.  Well, Admiral Yi took that away from Japanese.  Only reason the Japan could maintain their assault on Korea for so long is because their land assault in the beginning had successfully broke Joseon's land army into pieces.  But the Admiral Yi's success stopped Japan's advance, and bought Joseon long enough time to recover and strike back.  Once Joseon started to strike back, and after Ming joined the fight, the Japanese force could not keep on fighting with its full might again thanks to Admiral Yi.

So there is a reason why people think that the Admiral Yi basicall won the war for us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 22:12
Didn't think that before. Great info, thanks! I should think a bit more before I start talking...

Join us.
Ptino View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ptino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 13:05
He was the creator of the turtle ships, the first metal ships in the world.
"This is Sparta!". - Leonidas 1 (300 movie)
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 10:25
Originally posted by Ptino

He was the creator of the turtle ships, the first metal ships in the world.

Koreans created the first "turtle ship", but the first ironclad ship (Which includes turtle ship) was created by Japanese. I am not sure what you mean by first "metal ship". Could you elaborate? I think first "metal ship" must have been made in the late Imperial Age where warships needed strong metal armor against the heavy gunpowder weapons.

Join us.
Ptino View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ptino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 12:46
Well according to Wikipedia, Yi Sun-Sin's Turtle Ships where the first metal ships used in the world.

"Yi is also known for his innovation of the Turtle ships, Turtle ships are the world first metal ship. early armoured warships".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

Edited by Ptino - 16-May-2007 at 12:49
"This is Sparta!". - Leonidas 1 (300 movie)
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 14:10
Originally posted by Ptino

Well according to Wikipedia, Yi Sun-Sin's Turtle Ships where the first metal ships used in the world.

"Yi is also known for his innovation of the Turtle ships, Turtle ships are the world first metal ship. early armoured warships".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

This is the reason why you should avoid using wikipedia for any history-related work. Wink

Perhaps you should look into sources that are reliable. There's some vandalism Wikipedia can't buy. For everything else, there's Bad Jokes and Other Deleted Nonsense.

Edited by pekau - 16-May-2007 at 14:12

Join us.
LuckyNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 23:26
As far as I've read, there is no proof that the Kobuksan were even iron clad. It's only certain that they had metal spikes on top, but the hull were probably just made of very strong wood that the Japanese cannons could not penetrate.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 07:01
Originally posted by LuckyNomad

As far as I've read, there is no proof that the Kobuksan were even iron clad. It's only certain that they had metal spikes on top, but the hull were probably just made of very strong wood that the Japanese cannons could not penetrate.

Oh no, Kobuksan (Turtle ship) was not really an ironclad ship. They had metal roof with spikes to prevent Japanese warriors to jump into the Korean ships. Once Japanese land on Korean ship, they are dead. (Samurai are more skilled in close combat in general, and Japanese had lot more men than Koreans in sea warfare.)

Actually, the hull was not strong enough to withstand Japanese cannon. In fact, Korean ships had little better hull to withstand the current of the water, something that Japanese lacked (Since they are used to fight in bodies of water near the shores or rivers) and reduced their mobility.

There are two reasons how Yi Sunshin became a legend. Korean ships outmaneuvered Japanese ships in harsh water current. As well, Koreans adapted the superior Ming cannon that fired more rapidly, and had much longer range compared to Japanese cannons.

So all Koreans had to do is run along until Japanese found themselves crowded, and then bombard them with everthing they got. If some Japanese ships manage to get close enough... well, the Korean ships simply sail away and shoot them down. Since Koreans were more familiar with the geography of Korean Strait than Japanese, they easily led the Japanese ships to a trap. I heard that he even used iron chains to trap the Japanese ships in some combat.

Furthermore, Yi Sunshin was feared by Japanese so much that they often fled from Korean army even if they had some chance against him. Though they lost a lot of ships, I remember reading about a Japanese general who manage to escape Yi Sunshin's trap... and he still managed to pull out enough ships to have numerical advantage against Korean navy. Even though he was quite close to Korean navy, he retreated... thinking how could they possibly win if their entire fleet failed to do so. The psychological terror and appearant invincible Korean navy was enough for Japanese not to be able to show their best potential. Then again, Korean navy suffered defeat only once... and that was because Yi Sunshin was exiled at that time...

Join us.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 14:32
"...About 8 o'clock in the morning the enemy fleet (Yi Sun-sin's fleet), composed of 58 large ships and about 50 small ships, began to make an attack on ours. Three of the large ones were blind ships (turtle-boats) covered with iron."

This is a Japanese source. Whether or not the turtle Boats were Iron-Covered no one knows. As it is The Japanese Tekkosen as I understand it were upgraded Japanese ships of an already exsisting class and were seen as floating fortresses rather then an sea-worthy vessel. [ from whative read on several sources at least]

Also The Turtleships were extremely overated it was the Panokseon that were in every battle. Also Didn't Korea develop its own cannons during late Koryo and under Sejong im sure Ming were basic models for several types but still.

Edited by Easternknight - 17-May-2007 at 14:33
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 18:20
True, Panokseon was the backbone of the small Joseon navy. Very few turtle ships were produced, since Joseon's industrial areas have been devastated by Japanese land forces... which caused mass production of any type of warships to be impossible. This is one of the main reason why Japanese navy always outnumbered Joseon navy.

About my earlier post, I was referring to all Joseon ships. Panokseons were designed for sea warfare with harsh current, and they did possess cannons much more superior compared to Japanese cannons.

I heard about the produced their own prototype cannon, but by the time Imjin War began... Chinese (Ming) cannons were the best.

It tears me apart to hear that all turtle warships managed to survive in current world. It would have been some sight if Joseon's government recovered and starting governing seriously. What if Joseon had fleet.... no, fleets of turtle ships for close range attack with gigantic Panokseon as long range artillary? It will be so cool....

Join us.
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 19:47
What I meant to say was, that the turtle ships did not have any metal plating on top. They only had metal spikes.
EasternKnight, where did you get that Japanese quote? Is it actually in Japanese or is it an english translation of a quote?

Pekau, I don't think that the Joseon Navy would be much use in the 19th century. Even if the Joseon Nobility had wanted to modernize, the Yangban would not want to move to industrialization because they were too set on agriculture because they owned all the land.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 20:55
"One Japanese record of 'Ship-Battles in Korea' includes a description of a battle as experienced by two Japanese commanders on 1592, three weeks after Yi Sun-sin's having described the features of his turtle boats. The relevant part reads:"
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 21:49
What I meant was, what is your source? Is it a website or a book? If the source that your reading is written in english, than it could be a mistranslation.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 22:14

What I meant to say was, that the turtle ships did not have any metal plating on top. They only had metal spikes.
EasternKnight, where did you get that Japanese quote? Is it actually in Japanese or is it an english translation of a quote?

There are some studies hinting that there was metal plating, but it didn't cover all the ship... it merely covered the commanding post or the place where the captains usually were stationed.

Pekau, I don't think that the Joseon Navy would be much use in the 19th century. Even if the Joseon Nobility had wanted to modernize, the Yangban would not want to move to industrialization because they were too set on agriculture because they owned all the land.

I know, but it will be cool for us to have a powerful navy like Britain had. Then we can be the Far East's shopkeepers...

Even if we had the navy, the Ming would pressure Joseon to stop naval dominance. Sigh, we never had a thrilling moments in history since the downfall of Balhe...

Join us.
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 22:32

Because of Korea's geography, it is fated to never be the strongest country in Asia. Today, Korea is very strong economically and it is secure because of the US alliance. But I think that in the future, Korea will once again weaken because South Korea will have to absorb the big garbage can in the north.(North Korea). By that time, China will be much stronger than it is today. After unification, Korea will probably have a very small military again. This is why Korea should keep it's alliance with the US.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>