Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-Islamic Arabic Inscriptions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-Islamic Arabic Inscriptions
    Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 03:00
Originally posted by Maju

Notice that the quote I posted says that Sabaean is sometimes written in a style that alternates left>right with right>left. I noticed that the slab seems to be written in that style, mirroring the letters, when it changes the direction (every line).

Oh ok, I thought the alternation was about the direction of writing in lines as if Sabaean can be written like Arabic from right to left or like english from left to right.  Mirroring the letters will make sense here as I saw various examples in that slab. I just wonder what use of mirroring the letters can add to the language? never seen a language before that mirror its letters in the middle of words like Sabaean.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 10:39
Me neither but it definitely helps to know when they are writing in which direction. Smart idea. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 06:22

Originally posted by 1001nights

wait... I think I'm talking about something else... are the Sabaens you're talking about the same as Mandaeans Sabians ?

yani keeeef...... shooo, ma bedku ejaubouna!!!

why are you ignoring me

Edited by 1001nights
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 17:51
Personally, I don't know what to answer to your question without aking a search that you can do yourself. Nothing personal.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 21:43

@Maju... I wouldn't ask if I did understand what you guys are talking about, that you and cok-gec... plus, if not for discussing, why are we on this forum! Anyway.. don't need your answer.. whatever....

@cok gec.. I know a bit Aramic, the languge Mandaeans Sabians use, is that what you're talking about or?

take a look at that...

Edited by 1001nights
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 00:18
Originally posted by 1001nights

@cok gec.. I know a bit Aramic, the languge Mandaeans Sabians use, is that what you're talking about or?

take a look at that...

Sorry 1001 nights, I didn't notice your question was to all of us in general. Anyhow, I looked to the script you provided and it is different than Sabaean, or what I know as Sabaean. Aramaic alphabets are the father of Nabatean alphabets, which are the origin of the current Arabic script. However, Sabaean is a derivative of the South Arabian languages family which are not a product of Aramaic alphabets. Maybe if you went to the first page, i posted earlier a diagram of the languages' map of development.

And no 1001 nights, I know the Sabaean term is similar to the language me and Maju are discussing, but it is actually something different the Mandaeans Sabians. It says: "There is one and only one group that are the true Sabians, the Sabians of the Quran, the Sabaeans of the Bahai, the Sabians from whom the Harranians stole the name, the Mandaeans.  The Sabeans of South Arabia are a separate group and appear to have nothing to do with the Sabians (Mandaeans) or Sabaeans of Harran."

You can find more here >>> http://www.geocities.com/mandaeans/Sabians1.html

I am suprised you speak some Aramaic. Some people will call Aramaic a dead language. However, it is still in use today in a Syrian town called Maaloula or Ma'loula. I'm so amazed that they speak the same language Jesus of Nazarith the Christ spoke and for 2000 years.  One day I will visit that town for sure!

Aucune description

Aucune description

Have you seen the movie "Passion of the Christ"? If you haven't, go see it as they are using Aramaic for dialects with English subtitle. You will be amazed how many Aramaic words you can pick that matches Arabic too!

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 03:56

asootha nahweelokh = selam aleykum {Aramic}

Some of the words are still used in Syrian and Iraqi Arabic-accents...

Anyway, now I know what you're talking about.. ok! I will give you a site for the real Sabians{the ones mentioned in the quraan}...

Aramic mostly used in rituals only, that's what I know about Sabian in Iraq and Syria and Iran{I'm not so sure}, because it is outdated language, there are words that doesn't exist in Aramic but it's useed in everyday life, so it is hard to use Aramaic for everday life....

here is a good link...

http://www.mandaeanworld.com/who5.html

read that and maybe you will understand why I was confused... I have much more sites about that if you want...

Edited by 1001nights
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 13:01

I see 1001 nights,

Yeah, I expected you meant those Sabians in Iraq and Iran. The link was interesting especially their distribution in the southern Iraqi cities and the Irani Ahvas region. If you have links about their pictures it would be great.

I saw the way they ask god, the raising of hand in this way is the exact Islamic traditional way of asking God in Islam.

D.J. Kaufman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 18:45

@cok gec... yes.. they even have wuzu2/apdest{don't know how to say it in English}, and they have lots of similarities with Quraan.

As for their language, it is also similar to Arabic, and Hebrew too...

what kind of pictures did you want...

check these out...

http://www.mandaeanunion.com/

http://www.mandaeans.org/aboutthemandaeans.htm

Edited by 1001nights
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 00:26

@ok ge... do you still have Sabians in ur country or in the countries around you{Arabs of the Gulf}??

Edited by 1001nights
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 03:19

1001 nights,

Thank you for the links. I honestly haven't heard of Sabaean (the real one including the faith) except in books and TV. Never seen one too and first time I learned about them was on Aljazeera channel covering the Iraqi Sabaeans. They believe in all the prophets up to Zakariya (Zechariah in the bible). They are monothiest no doubt and it is amazing how much of their believe is similar to Islam too.

D.J. Kaufman
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 04:04

ok lets put some more pictures of pre-islamic Inscriptions used by Arabs.

from this site.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/EPIGRAPHY/e_pre-islamic/fig01_aramaic_ img.htm

fig01 color fig01 b&w  fig01 drawing

the above stone has an Aramaic writings .

its from 600 BC.

Transcription
m ha r n a d ya
q r b th j a'in l ha
b r a r sh
b r n ha a l
x x x l h ya ya
(n j a'in l) ha w n f sh
(a kh r t ha)

Translation
This incense burner is presented by Naja al bin Arshan bin Nah'al
for his and his family's favor.

--------------

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 04:59
nice.. love these topics
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2017 at 02:43
Excellent information, where can i get more info or some recommended books about Pre-islamic history in some details?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12