Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Holy Month of Ramadan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Holy Month of Ramadan
    Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 01:24
I personally beleive that once Ramazaan starts in Makkah all muslims should begin fasting.  Like this year. It started on tuesday in Makkah. And here in the US i started fasting on Tuesday.  
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 01:24
cok_gec yes the bosnain baklava is very good.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 01:36

Originally posted by ill_teknique

cok_gec yes the bosnain baklava is very good.

Baklava, favourite dessert. Is the Bosnian Baklava little different than the Turkish or Syrian one?

Well, the idea of Mecca as a center is great. However, i know that countries like Indonesia and way way east might sight the moon before the night or the crescent ,which stays for minutes after its birth, reaches Mecca. So what can they do? ignore the crescent and wait 7 hours for Mecca to sight it? Their day would have started already.

That is why I prefer the idea of multiple crescent spotting centers on vrious Islamic countreis that are administered by committees representing a collected group of scholars. Mecca can be the center of that network, and for announcements.

So you fasted Tuesday? How was your first day? Mine was fine especially that i was able to sleep till 11 am

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 02:21
ok then two starts lol.  i dont understand why many people here started on wed. when the moon had already been spotted in makkah.  but does not make a big difference to me. i dont feel as one start is more right than the other.

the bosnian baklava is pretty much similar to the turkiya. the fast was good just thirsty was hot in chicago last couple of days.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 02:28

hmm intersting, do you have any pictures of the Bosnian Baklava?

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 03:09
Yeah, I wanna see a picture of the bosnian baklava, though im sure from outside it looks the same. All the difference is inside
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 17:26
i dont mila might.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 09:09

http://www.antep.nl/resimler/baklava%20hamuru.htm ---> these pictures you need if you want make a baklava, the rest you can read it from recepts in http://faq.macedonia.org/cuisine/baklava.html

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 10:57
After looking at the baklava recepies I noticed that walnuts and sugar water are key ingredients that might make them different from some other baklavas. Certain kinds also have pistachio sprinkles on top or throughout (Gaziantep). Other kinds of baklava have the main flavor from honey instead of sugar water (Arabic?) Then there is the use of milk too (sutlu nuriye).

Edited by Seko
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 08:57

seko with sugar water you mean sherbet?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 09:02

yea we call that "sheera"

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 09:40
Sherbet is the Turkish version indeed. Sheera then as well.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 07:27
Thanks Day I for the reciepe. Yes, "Sheera" is the heated water & sugar that is boured over the Baklava. For some reason, whenever I think of Baklava, it has to be with Pistashio. I guess not all?
D.J. Kaufman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12