Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore- should Turkey join the EU???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: More- should Turkey join the EU???
    Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 23:25
Brutality, poverty and religion stand between Turkey and EU

What do you think? Will the influences of the EU bring about change in Turkey?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1804495,00.htm l
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 23:54
There are several diferent problems here:
  • The most important one has nothing to do with Turkey, it is internal of EU: what kind of EU will we have? A mere free market area or a confederacy. This problem is not solved but must be solved and is an obstacle to further ampliation.
  • Other problem is the cultural one: both Europes the religious one and the agnostic one (dominant nowadays) are reluctant of Islam. It would affect any other ferviently Muslim country.
  • Another important problem is the democratic quality of the state. EU is not supposed to tolerate human right violations within its borders, though often does anyhow. There's something of double standards here: though no EU country has so frequent and blatant denounces as Turkey, France, Spain, Britain and others are close.Yet in no EU state, including France, are ethnical minorities treated so badly as in Turkey.
  • And finally it is the economical problem: Turkey is much poorer than the poorest EU member (Poland?) and has 70 million people, many willing to emigrate. This can be cause of concern, but anyhow, I don't think it is the main problem.
  • Finally, Cyprus can veto Turkey's entrance. Turkey is not just not recognizing Cyprus but actually it is boycotting it against the commercial agreements with EU. If it does that when is not a member, what will do when it is and has full rights?
I think the main problem, anyhow, lays in what kind of EU we want: if just a free market, Turkey, once reformed, could fit well there; if we want a confederation, Turkey could fit as well, but I'm not sure that Turks would want that kind of incorporation. Personally I think that EU must solve its own internal problems by implementing the Europe of two speeds: leaving a free market area for countries like Britain that do not want further integration and creating a true European Union with full confederal institutions for the willing Europaist states. Turkey will then decide where it wants to fit in and the members will decide if it fits in.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 04:31

Joining the EU is good for Turkey in the long term.  I do not comprehend why so many Turkish Forumers shun the idea and instead focus on Central Asia. 

Turkey joining Europe = uphill and prosperity

Turkey joining Central Asian states = backwards and burdensome

I have always thought that the Westernization of Turkey was a smart move, and the continued conformity with Western nations can only help Turkey.  Increased identification with traditionalist and conservative Islamic groups and nations will hurt Turkish interests in the long run, for it would not play well in the eyes of the United States, and in a world where the Islamic image is already damaged to a great extent.

Turkey is not strong enough (in terms of military complex, international support, and human resources) to vie against the United States and Russia in Central Asia, but more than enough to build up on equal grounds with Britain, France, and Germany.  The best course of option for Turkey, in my humble opinion, is to structure the country like a Western European nation.  If done correctly, Turkey can easily become as prosperious as France and Germany. 

Turkey must show the world that it is possible to structure a truely democratic, westernized nation based on fundamental Islamic principles.   If the world sees Turkey on par with Britain and France, then Turkey will have succeeded.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 04:46
Turkey must show the world that it is possible to structure a truly democratic, westernized nation based on fundamental Islamic principles.

I disagree. I think Turkey should be %100 secular, not "democratic Islamic" or "moderate Islamic".

What is those "Islamic principles" anyway?

Edited by Barış
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 04:55

Originally posted by Bar

Turkey must show the world that it is possible to structure a truly democratic, westernized nation based on fundamental Islamic principles.

I disagree. I think Turkey should be %100 secular, not "democratic Islamic" or "moderate Islamic".

What is those "Islamic principles" anyway?

sure.  I may not have phrased my words concisely.  100% secular is even better.

AAAAAAAAAA

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 12:32
I also want Turkey to join EU. It would be better for Turkey as a country and for Kurds too. We need our minority rights!
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:09
^ You need what? are you even from Turkiye? If you are a tourist you are  welcome.Kurds have their rights in Turkiye.speak on behalf of whatever your nationality is dear cent!

I agree, Eu will benefit Turkiye in a long run if EU still exists by the time we join but we have to face some facts here.Turkiye is unwanted in there.Also we have to accept that culturely we are not European.Some Balkanic mixture in west although I can not say Balkans are European either.forming a new Asian or middle eastern union doesn't mean we will adopt Eastern backward culture.On the contrary we have a unique culture.We showed east and west can do together.

We can not ignore east anymore, they have potential too if it is used right.We did without EU so far and it wasn't perfect I admit but things are changing, economy is getting better and many laws have changed.We're not %100 done yet we should not stop.

Edited by erci
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:10
Austria does not agree with Turkish EU membership. What is the view of Greece on this topic?
I would like to see Turkey prosper but I do not know if EU membership is good for Turkey and Europe. I think Austria's solution might be better than nothing at all and given time things could change. Give them privileged partner status instead of membership but keep things open for the future.
Like in America, I tend to think the elite in Europe want this because of the cheap labor that will flood into Europe. Europe's population is on the decline and they need workers. I cannot blame the poor of Turkey for wanting a better opportunity in life but Europeans should protect their borders, lanugae and culture by limiting immigration but that is for another thread.

EU's turkey row 'threatens relations with Islam'
01/10/2005 - 10:13:41 The Wests relations with Islam will be seriously damaged if Turkeys application to join the European Union is blocked, former EU external affairs commissioner Lord Patten warned today.

The Wests relations with Islam will be seriously damaged if Turkeys application to join the European Union is blocked, former EU external affairs commissioner Lord Patten warned today.

Formal accession talks with the Turkish government are due to open on Thursday, but the process has been thrown into disarray after Austria said that it should not be granted full membership.

The Austrians instead suggested that it should be awarded the status of privileged partner.

The move prompted a furious response from Ankara, where the Turkish government warned that it would walk out of the talks if all that was on offer was second class membership.

EU foreign ministers are due to meet in emergency session tomorrow to try to resolve the crisis.

Lord Patten described the Austrians behaviour as lamentable. He said that if the negotiations did break down, it would have a serious impact both within the EU and on the world beyond.

The impact of the Wests relationship with Islam if we turn down Turkeys accession, even after Turkey has carried through reforms, mostly on the visceral grounds that we are the relics of Christian civilisation and theyre Islamic - and thats how it would play in the Islamic world then that would have very bad implications, he told BBC Radio 4s Today programme.

You hear so much rhetoric about Europe playing a significant role in the world. What the hell signal do we send to the rest of the world if we cant accept Turkish accession to the European Union?

To define Europe today as though it were an introverted, cohesive, medieval Christian community is, I think, terrible, and it sends not only awful messages outside, but it actually sends some pretty dubious messages to the 12 million or more Muslims who live within the European Union.

While Britain has been a strong supporter of Turkish accession, Lord Patten acknowledged that elsewhere in the EU there was growing popular opposition to the idea.
However he said that it was up to EU leaders to face down their critics.

I dont doubt at all that people are going to have to confront xenophobia in some European countries if we are going to win this argument. Of course they are. But it is a time, in my judgment, for a bit of leadership, he said.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=157692866&p=y576 9357z
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:10
erci, yeah yeah, stop beutifying the Kurdish question. Everybody knows how it is in Turkey...
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:27

----------

eaglecap partner status rather than full membership will only benefit EU.We already have some kind of agreement close to that status right now,  what more can we gain? right now nothing! and it is already stated by Turkiye we will not accept anything but full membership.(We're talking about if Turkiye has done everything EU ask for.This is the condition of the full membership.When Turkey's fulfiled all the requirements of union if it still gets the some kind of status rather than full membership like any other candidate this will be so unfair, it's unacceptable.)
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 18:09

Right now, I consider Turkey to be a fourth tier country.  It is on its way to becoming a thrid tier country.  Joining the EU may help facilitate that process.  Being a partner instead of full member is not satisfactory, but nevertheless a first step.

In my humble opinion, the following is how I rank countries.  Note: this is my personal overall evaluation and not necesarily adopted by everyone.  Personally I rank size, potential, and resources above average standard of living (but 2nd and 3rd can be flipped depending on your own criteria).

1st Tier: United States

2nd Tier: Russia, China, India, Brazil

3rd Tier: Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Australia, Argentina, etc

4th Tier: Italy, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Mexico, Iran, Pakistan, etc

AAAAAAAAAA

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 18:19

This is an interesting way of evaluation! Where does Belgium stand in it?

Btw, that was your 666th post

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 19:14
Whats "Nth tier"? Why is Argentine or Australia in the 3rd rank and Italy and Spain in the 4th? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 19:22
Canada should be in 4th maybe 5th, since size doesn't matter 
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 22:34

I  Canada

Belgium is in the ............................................8th Tier

AAAAAAAAAA

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 22:57

so how good is the EU union?

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 23:20
Originally posted by poirot

1st Tier: United States

2nd Tier: Russia, China, India, Brazil

3rd Tier: Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Australia, Argentina, etc

4th Tier: Italy, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Mexico, Iran, Pakistan, etc

That is very interesting Poirot. How did you get Japan lower to Brazil! or Spain lower to Argentina? or Germany lower to Russia! I would love to know your criterias for that evaluation .

Without any doubts, Turkey is viewed as a threat to the carefully arranged status of the EU. My expectation, Turkey's application will not be rejected (just out of diplomacy) but will be delayed as typical.

Interesting though, how long Turkey will stand its grounds to EU tough demands especially recognizing Cyprus?

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 23:57

My own unique evaluation.  Again, the 2nd and 3rd tier can be flipped, depending on your own criteria.

I tend to rank larger countries with more resources higher than smaller countries that may be more powerful economically.

Hence, Brazil over Japan.  If Japan gets into a war, yen would simply evaporate.  Brazil is more self-sufficient.

And Russia over Germany is a tough choice, but Russia gets the nod because it has more resources and more potential, despite a less prosperous economy.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 00:49

That is indeed very interesting.

Never thought of ranking countries according to potentials and resources. muy interesante.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 01:18
Originally posted by azimuth

so how good is the EU union?

So-so.

It's godd that you can forget about political borders most of the time, what is specially interesting if you belong to a nation divided between two EU countries like myself.

But, as now everything seems to be only about free market and nothing else, it's losing part of its appeal (at least for me). The process of European unification has got diluted in the proccess of European expansion, what is ot good either. I'd like to belong to a Union that could talk to US and other giants on one-to-one terms, instead political union is not going farther but has got stopped. I think Britain (and maybe others) should get out of EU: it's sabotaging Europeism from inside. I also think that any new member should have clear Europeist intentions. In the end, I'd like a more political and less just free-trade Union.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>