Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScythians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scythians
    Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 01:42
"Current knowledge"?  David Christian's book was published first time in 1998.  The DNA analysis results are VERY recent. 
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 05:32
Originally posted by Akskl

"Current knowledge"?  David Christian's book was published first time in 1998.  The DNA analysis results are VERY recent. 

I was saying that using older works requires knowlege of current ones.

ps.  DNA studies a very interesting, but they tell you very little about history and interpreting the results is very difficult.  This isn't helped by the many commentators and authors who quote DNA tests as 'proof' of assorted ethnic type assertions.

Edited by tadamson
rgds.

Tom..
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 14:01
I did present scientific proofs that modern Kazakhs are direct descendants of ancient Scythians - Amazon woman warriors, and ancient Sarmatians.  You will have stronger position in our dispute only if you will present the similar positive results of comparison of modern Iranian and/or Ossetian DNA's with the ancient Scythians or Sarmatians DNAs.  Until then you still have almost nothing  to support seriously your position.  
HistoryBuff View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 16:08
I have read all the content on the Scythians and can only say I found nothing contradictory to what I have myself read. I first became interested in this topic with the discovery of the obvious Caucasian( red, blonde hair big noses)origin of the mummies of Urmachii. Since then I have purchased several books dealing with early Asians and Europeans. I must agree very much with what has been written on the Sakas. My only adverse comment concerns the idea that the Sythians were of Turkish origin. Granted that later on the Turks did invade and occupy the area that was initially occupied by the more European Scythians. Hopefully the ongoing DNA analysis going forward with National Geographic etc. will hopefully clarify the origins of many people.   Incidentally I wss born with Blonde hair and have a large Nose.     

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 19:59

I did present scientific proofs that modern Kazakhs are direct descendants of ancient Scythians - Amazon woman warriors, and ancient Sarmatians.  You will have stronger position in our dispute only if you will present the similar positive results of comparison of modern Iranian and/or Ossetian DNA's with the ancient Scythians or Sarmatians DNAs.  Until then you still have almost nothing  to support seriously your position.  

? What would that show ?.

You cited studies that showed genetic links.  That doesn't prove that a whole people are 'direct decendents' of another people.    Genetics is complicated, and interpreting results in a historical context is very difficult.
rgds.

Tom..
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 22:27
If DNA "doesn't prove that a whole people are 'direct decendents' of another people" (!!!) then what does?!
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 08:27

If DNA "doesn't prove that a whole people are 'direct decendents' of another people" (!!!) then what does?!

You would require genetic data for very large samples of every generation, or fully documented geneology for similarly large samples.

Unfortunately, such data doesn't exsist.

One other confounding factor is that all pastoral nomads share the practice of marrying someone from outside the tribe/clan whenever possible.  This spreads and mixes genes across the peoples (a very good thing as it prevents the inherent problems of in-breeding in small population groups).
rgds.

Tom..
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 19:44
According to your "logic" the Kazakhs who have the same DNA as Sarmatians and Amazon warriors (Scythians) are not direct descendants of them, but Iranians and Ossetians, who's DNA is not the same - are the ones.  

Edited by Akskl
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 05:52

First of all,how do u know for shore that that legend is true(Amazons)?Herodotus writes of Arimaspae(one-eyed people)-is that a reliable fact?

Second-what all people with any sense of reason r saying is that the Scyths were originally Iranians(not Turks).During time,Turks and Mongols assimilated some of them-that's where your connection comes from.DNA results can be easily misinterpreted.Such is the case with books-one of the Turks on the forum writes about Herodotus:''I read it as..."-HE READS IT AS!!!Imagine that arogancy!They r interpreting sources after their own liking.

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 05:56

According to your "logic" the Kazakhs who have the same DNA as Sarmatians and Amazon warriors (Scythians) are not direct descendants of them, but Iranians and Ossetians, who's DNA is not the same - are the ones.  

You might profit from a college level course in genetics.  The phrase "the same DNA" is inaccurate and perhaps this is confusing you.
rgds.

Tom..
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 15:18

Until historians, anthropologists, philologists et al seriously consider that such peoples could have been Turkic (hardly likely based on the evidence that is and is becomming available to them), I don't think you will find many people agreeing with your views.  

Edited by Zagros
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 18:59

http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/2004/07/will_the_real _k.html

...Yes the sarmatians were living in eastern europe but it been proven by Dr.Jeannine Davis-Kimball that their descendants are the kazakhs(who still live in sarmatia-ukraine even up to this day).That meant they were turkic(mixture of tocharians,huns, and some persians), not pure persians. That have also been verified by genetic researcher Dr.Tom Gilbert of university of arizona. His paper was called, I believed, "Unravelling migrations in the steepes: Ancient mitchrondrial dna sequences of ancient central asians". The scythians and sarmatians were already mixed as far back as 8th century b.c(at least in central kazakhstan). The idea that the sarmatians were persians came from biased russian historians who wanted to link the russian people with them.What baloney.

Posted by: tich tran at March 7, 2005 08:25 PM

Even the forensic evidences such as facial reconstruction of scythians and sarmatians were done by biased russian scientists who have every thing to lose. Don't believe me? Check encyolepedia britanica about how hippocrates descripe the scythians. The encyolepedia describes them as looking like the way the "mongols" were seen by "franciscan monks" in, I believe the 13th century A.D. Now I know that the idea of asians in europe might seem farfetched but remember Attila was born in europe. I also know that women would be repulsed by the idea of lancelot as a "mongol" but so what?

Posted by: tich tran at March 7, 2005 08:38 PM

dr. gilbert is from the department of evoluntionary biology

Posted by: tich tran at March 7, 2005 09:27 PM

http://sophistikatedkids.com/turkic/64%20Pazyryk/Pazyryk_gen sEn.html

...Ever since the first investigations in the 1920es, the Irano-enthusiasts labeled the Pazyryk people and their Scythian culture as invariably Iranian-lingual, building a variety of conjectures to fit the facts into their Indo-European schemes. Lately, however, the Iranian label tends to melt away, turning a glorious expression "Iranian-lingual Scythians" into a bleak and un-IE-patriotic simple "Scythians", and the its vestiges, scattered everywhere, and carrying very pronounced overtones, serve as a reminder of the past centuries' scientific anopia. Even now, in their scientific quests, investigators still manage to "get surprised" at every corner, discovering along the way that the eternal truths they were brought up with were conjured at odds with unpretentious reality...

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 19:55
Aksl: I find your links and your own emphatic argumentation weak in linking Scythians to Turks, not to mention Sarmatians, that are thought to be Indo-Europeized Caucasics.

This guy (from Pazyrk culture) definitively doesn't look Mongol with his moustache, curled hair and big nose. He could be mixed but not mostly Mongoloid. Other depictions of Scythians also seem to depict them as Caucasoids and the frygian hat that is attributed to them fits well with Phrygians or Persians, both IE-speaking peoples that at diferent times may have sprung out from the steppe.

Also, if the Ice Lady has Western Siberian MtDNA, as your main link seems to give as major ground for attributing it to Mongoloid populations, it happen to be a weak link, basically because Western Siberian peoples are actually closer to Europe than to East Asia genetically speaking. Central Siberia instead is closer to East Asia gentically.

In any case, I would find it more than normal some sort admixture in those areas so far east. Actually I used to suspect that IEs were originally largely Mongoloid but after watching the above drawing of a far-eastern IE man, I have more doubts. Anyhow, IEs migrated forth and back via the steppes, so any kind of combo can be reasonable to expect among them.

And, regarding Lancelot, I don't see why the ladies should find him repulsive just for being Mongoloid, as you suggest very happily. I imagine them maybe shocked, specially if they believed the blonde archetype promoted by hollywood. But anyhow, I think than rather than like Gengis Khan, if he actually was Sarmatian, he would look more like Shamil Basayev.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 07:34

That is how "royal" Scythian would look like

according to authors of article [ http://osradio.ru/2005/11/08/da_skify_my_no_ne_aziaty/#cut1 ]. Article is in Russian.

Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 07:58
I have heard arguments about many similarities between nomand Turks and Scythians, but cannot see those arguments visually. I have lived in Turkmenistan and seen nomand Turkmens and Kazakhs. They impressed me differently than tales about Scythians. They are obviously from different type of cultures. For example, it is known that Scythians lived in wagons. Everybody from ancient writers mentioned it. Kazakhs and Turkmens live in yurts. Wagons and yurts are different type of dwelling, as I understand. Wagons have weels, axes, etc. would require blacksmith kind of engineering to be developed. Neither Kazakhs nor Turkmens have blacksmith art developed in comparison with gypsies. Scythians as I know were very good in blacksmithship. My ancle was head of large collective farm in Ossetia in 80s. That time some Gypcies passed his land and he visited them. He worried they could cause some conflicts with local people. He gave them some work to make some tractor parts. He told me "Gypsies are very good blacksmiths". They made them inside the tribe with no machinary. I would bet no Turkish nomands could do so. Personly I imagine Scythians rather to be like Gypsies, but not like Kazakhs.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 08:17

That is a good point Anbalan.  Also Scythians were reputed to be very big on body decoration such as tattoos and piercings, the latter being popular with Parthians, an Iranian nomadic people from Central Asia who took over the sovereignty of Iran from the Seleucids, famed for their abilities on horseback.  Many even consider them as a Scythian branch.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 12:15

Apart from the fact that we hardly know much about the DNA of a culturally extint population such as Scythians, the important thing is not genetics but cultural memetics. For instance Western Europeans hardly have any significant IE DNA but it is clear that they (excepting Basques) speak IE languages and have a largely IE culture. If Persians and Scythians shared the Phrygian hat that's one cultural connection, if Persians and Scythians share a linguistic background, that's another cultural conection, etc. It may well be that only a small bunch of Central Asian IEs arrived ever to Iran (or rather that they got diluted in a very large native population) but that's not the point, the same that the genetic argument is not the point when speaking about the Turkicity of Anatolian Turks, where the Central Asian apportation is equally minimal.

I suspect that modern Central Asian Turks are partly descendant from ancient IE populations, specially via their mothers. Even in such a semidesertic region with highly mobile populations, total replacement is impossible. So yes, you are probably right in Khazaks being partly descendant from Scythians genetically... but not so much culturally.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 19:11
Kazaks of Western Mongolia

A reader pointed out that the Kazak woman illustrated at the beginning of this article bears a striking resemblance to the reconstruction of the Sarmatian woman excavated from Cemtary 2, Kurgan 7, Burial 2 at Pokrovka (Russia) in 1995. This woman is known as 2-7-2 in the National Geographic International andthe PBS documentaries Secrets of the Dead "Warrior Women"

http://www.csen.org/Linked%20Sites/LinkedSites.html

Edited by Akskl
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 19:23

RASA VON WERDER'S INTERVIEW OF
DR. JEANNINE DAVIS-KIMBALL

http://www.womanthouartgod.com/daviskimball.php

Why did they go to look for Kazaks in Mongolia to take the samples for the DNA analysis? There are plenty of Kazak students and others  both in Germany and in United States.  Probably inititally they thought that the DNA sample from the burial will match the Khalkha-Mongols ones. Those Khalkha-Mongols... always try to steal our history.

Edited by Akskl
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 21:47
Reconstruction is tricky. The soft parts of the face can't be reconstrcted but with a lot of guesswork. Normally they take local people to do that. Anyhow the lady doesn't look particularly East Asian to me (though the pic is not very clear). 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>