Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The NAFTA File

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The NAFTA File
    Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 04:55

The North American Free Trade Agreement(NAFTA) went into effect in 1994.And this year it enters its second decade...

we have many members from TheUS and Canada,as well as from Mexico...

i am curious about their main views on the NAFTA file.

and i wanna ask some other questions:

1-Did NAFTA cause illegal immigration?

2-Are you in or out for the''North American Nation''?

3-What has NAFTA achieved so far?

4-what does NAFTA hold for the future you think?

REGARDS

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 11:59

From the mexican perspective, the NAFTA was not the cause of the inmigration to the USA.

It was benefical from the industrial , but those benefits were killed when the jobs were exported overseas.

Put in a bad shape to our agriculture, due CANADA and USA has subsidize their agricultural producers.

The USA impossed restrictions to the chapter related to the free transit of merchandise between the 3 countries. The mexican transportist can not cross the border due the pressure of the teamsters union in the US.

In general , I would say that the NAFTA was a great trade improvement, but internal interest ( job over seas export and unions opposition ) blocked the progress of NAFTA.

I should say that NAFTA has to be revised in the light of the current situations.

Regards

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 13:34
its a good idea, it didnt work out as well as planned though.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 14:34

The Teamsters may have put some pressure on but the main problem with Mexican trucks coming into the US has been the difference between safety requirements.  DOT standards are tough (and I understand Canada's standards are as tough or tougher).

For a time, Mexican trucks were allowed to cross the border but then a driver who was licensed in the US had to take over.....but this was just a transitional stage and I understand that's to be lifted this year.

NAFTA did not increase immigration - that was in place before NAFTA.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 15:56

High-Tech Market Has Lost 400,000 Jobs

1 hour, 28 minutes ago
Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

By ALLISON LINN, AP Business Writer

SEATTLE - The U.S. information tech sector lost 403,300 jobs between March 2001 and this past April, and the market for tech workers remains bleak, according to a new report.

< =http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/quotes/search/*http://finance.yahoo.com/q>
Related Quotes
AAPL
MSFT
DJIA
NASDAQ
S&P 500
+0.19
+3.40
+5.02
+2.51
< = value=t name=d> < size=6 name=s> < =submit value="Get Quotes">
delayed 20 mins - disclaimer
Quote Data provided by Reuters

Get Into Gaming
Want great games? Then play a powerful PC or top-notch laptop. Plus, next-gen consoles
promise awesome action.

Perhaps more surprising, just over half of those jobs 206,300 were lost after experts declared the recession over in November 2001, say the researchers from the University of Illinois-Chicago.

In all, the researchers said, the job market for high-tech workers shrank by 18.8 percent, to 1,743,500 over the period studied.

Researchers Snigdha Srivastava and Nik Theodore compiled the numbers using the Current Employment Statistics survey and the Current Population Survey.

The report, funded by the Ford Foundation, was conducted for the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, a Seattle organization that wants to unionize workers at Microsoft Corp. and other technology companies.

Theodore, director of the university's Center for Urban Economic Development, said one factor in the staggering high-tech job losses is the familiar lament that businesses have been wary to hire because of uncertainty over how much the economy is improving.

But he also attributes some of the job losses to corporations farming high-tech jobs out to overseas companies whose labor is cheaper.

Theodore said the study shows that high-tech workers "are really bearing the brunt of economic restructuring strategies." It also shows that the end of the recession did not signal the end of high-tech job woes, he said.

"Not only has it not turned around, in many cases it has gotten worse," said Theodore.

However, Sung Won Sohn, chief economist at Wells Fargo Bank, says he has seen some evidence that the high-tech job market began improving in the months after this study was completed.

Overall, Sohn thinks the industry will rebound although the new jobs created might require different skills. That still leaves high-tech workers in better shape than other industries, he said.

"I view the setbacks in tech as temporary," he said, "whereas if you're talking about old-style manufacturing, those jobs are gone forever."

Marcus Courtney, head of the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, said the tight job market, combined with growing fears that existing jobs will be lost to outsourcing, has increased interest in unionizing from workers at companies including Sun Microsystems, Apple Computer Inc. and Microsoft.

"We are really starting to see the beginnings of a high-tech labor movement in this country," he said.

According to the study, the job losses were especially pronounced in San Francisco, which saw high-tech employment shrink by 49 percent between March 2001 and April 2004. Boston also suffered disproportionately, with the number of high-tech jobs falling by 34.1 percent.

The Seattle metropolitan area lost 10.8 percent of its high-tech jobs during the period, faring better than some other regions.

The employment picture has become a hot-button issue in the U.S. presidential race. Though the overall U.S. economy added 144,000 jobs in August, it still has lost 913,000 positions since President Bush (news - web sites) took office.

When the August jobs numbers were released earlier this month, Bush said the figures offered proof that the economy was getting stronger. But Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites)'s campaign argued that job growth should be faster.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 16:38
Originally posted by Cornellia

DOT standards are tough (and I understand Canada's standards are as tough or tougher).

DMV is god to the transport industry. They hold a great deal of power and adhere to very strick standards.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 23:07

NAFTA's benifits in Canada are few and far between.  Last year the Americans places an illegal teriff onn our softwood lumber entering The US, as a result half the lumber mills in the provence of BC were shut down. No one could compete with the tariff, putting huge numbers of people out of work. NAFTA truly only benifits Americans who are powerfull enough to side step it and rich busness owners.

A north american nation is an awful thing for the canadians. We would have no powere due to our lack of population. The Americans already have our government on a string. Why do they need to own us completely

NAFTA has acheived little if anything here in the north.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 23:18
Your right on the mark.   By the way welcome to AE

Edited by Dawn
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 16:32

Agreed with that, but the free trade has to be mutual benefit.

The mexican tuna fish was banned in the USA , because greenpeace complained about the dolphins that got killed. Despites, the mexican goverment ensured to limit as possible to hurt any dolphins , the tuna fish captured in Mexico was till banned.

By the other hand, the japanese fishers who actually kill dolphins are not punished by this deliverated act. I saw an article last year showing japanese fishermen killing several dolphins by strokes. And no one complained about it.

Too much doube standard criteria about the bannings.

http://www.seashepherd.org/taiji_coalition_letter.html

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=22860

http://www.compassionatetraveler.org/art/2003-12-02.htm

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 14:46
I support it because I think free trade is the best policy.
Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:32
free trade is the best policy, but NAFTA is not the best way to facilitate free trade.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply