Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Close combat weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What is the best close combat weapon?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [10.71%]
23 [41.07%]
10 [17.86%]
7 [12.50%]
1 [1.79%]
7 [12.50%]
1 [1.79%]
1 [1.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close combat weapons
    Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 23:18
Well it depends on the scenario, as has been said, but I think the flail simply looks awesome.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 17:39

I think one of most lethal weapons was a war hammer which i Poland and Lithuania was named "nadziak" and "czekan". Many nobles were wearing not only saber but also this hammer which was very popular. It was breaking trough infantry helmets and armours. In private quarrels of Polish and Lithuanian nobles so many were killed by it that Polish-Lithuanian parliament (seym) made private us of this weapon forbidden for civilians and only regular soldiers were allowed to have it. I think the law forbidding use of "czekan" for civilians wasnt very effective because the bills forbidding its use were introduced many times (1578, 1601, 1620).

Edited by Mosquito
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 20:57
The Sabre is the best choice in my opinion.
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 16:27
Eh, rocks are far too... primitive. Aside from throwing them, the only real use is cracking it oversomeone's head.

All in all, I'm going with the halberd, though. Used properly, it could rip armored foes apart -- and a few guys did so at Agincourt.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 19:07
Colt M-4 is the best close combat weapon
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 19:53
Actually, if you had a guy with a sword he could slash at the M-4, knock it down, then slice you up.

Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 21:59
U have to give a time period
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 11:58

If I had to arm my tropps whit no gunpowder weapons for melee combat i mi go whit this combination.

Infantry 1: Spanish falcata whit roman scutum. An infantry to get very close of the enemy infantry. So close to kiss them .  When shields are crashing each other y like a weapon to make low attacks while pressing whit the shield. The falkata can make this and when facing armor his great slashing capavility makes a good change.

Infantry 2: halberd for facing cavalry. Or may be pikes like swiss infantry. I like to keep the away.

Cavalry: Savre, Katana or even Shamshir if i have to face another cavalry. The falkata is too short for a cavalry unit.

Not yet mein friend, not yet
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 12:01

Originally posted by Mosquito

I think one of most lethal weapons was a war hammer which i Poland and Lithuania was named "nadziak" and "czekan". Many nobles were wearing not only saber but also this hammer which was very popular. It was breaking trough infantry helmets and armours.

The deffect this weapons have is that sometime it gets stuckk in the armor after killing the enemie. But overal are still great weapons.

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:19
The Swiss halberd is a favourite weapon of mine, it's easy to use for an untrained warrior just like the spear and ax, and it combines the two different weapons into one. It's perhaps not as flexible or fast as a sword or sabre, but has a greater cutting power on impact and greater range (except for the most powerful zweihnder-swords)
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:14

The Yataghan is similar to the ancient greek "Kopis" in shape. I also think that the Yataghan is the best close combat weapon for a modern soldier. After all it was very much preffered by my ancestors over other European swords like the sabre (-I know that a sabre and a sword are different but you understand what I'm saying).

I traditionally loved the halberd (in RPGs), but I think it's a weapon to be used only in formations, and not on a duel. In this case a sword would be the best.

I think that in medieval times maces were preffered by cavalry over swords, for secondary weapons (1st weapon being the lance).

I vote for sword because I think it is the most versatile weapon.

khalid bin walid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote khalid bin walid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:40

Surely the  GLADIUS (falcata?)  makes a very good case for Swords in close formation fighting. It did after all win the romans, their empire.

Edited by khalid bin walid
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 06:04
This is a falcata, is n othe same than a gladius. But I also like Gladius
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 09:19
nothing cooler then swinging a huge flail around.
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
El Cid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El Cid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 13:48
The broadsword, a lethal weapon used in the middle age. It could work as a mace, as a spear and as a knife.
The spanish are coming!

AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 14:08
uhh,.. a knife? pretty big knife
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 14:50
In close formation and on the ground (no horse) long, long... very long spear like phalanx or Janissary... it s like a wall of spikes... No cavalry can penetrate.

Man to man battle: sword, no doubt - faster and easier to handle.

Cheers.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 16:58

This is a Persian Shamshir Sword. I have found these pics at the Schanz Knive's gallery.

Bladesteel is made from Damasteel. The Handle is wood and overlayed with 18carat gold and some pearls.

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:26

What context are we talking about?  Single combat?  Battlefield combat?  On foot?  On horseback?

In any case, a couple of generalizations can still be made.  Polearms (spears, halberds, bills, glaives, even the simple quarterstaff) are superior to any sword, unless one is fighting in a really narrow alleyway or something along those lines.  Give one fighter a quarterstaff and one a sword (any type of sword), and the quarterstaff fighter will win at least 7 times out of 10.

As far as swords go, I'm partial especially to basket-hilted types of broadsword and backsword (English "short sword" with "close" hilt; Scottish claidheamh mor or "claymore"; Venetian schiavona; later German katzbalgers, etc).  The hand protection these hilts provide is a huge asset.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 14:33

Pike and Spears... these are the backbone of a great nation back when there's no pistol but lousy gunpowder.

The Chin' Empire and the ruler of China...

The Overall Medieval and Renaissance of Europe or something heh. heh.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>