Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Pakistanis ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Pakistanis ?
    Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 01:16
I have always just figured that the people of Pakistan were muslim indians, since the Indian subcontinent is divided into India, Pakistan, bangladesh. Can this be said that they are mostly Muslim Indians?
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 02:45

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 05:54
Originally posted by strategos

Who are the Paki's?

I know you meant well, but very bad use of words.

The answer is Yes and No. Yes they are muslim indians who have their own country now and no becasue there are more muslims who live in India.

Edited by Anujkhamar
Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 10:58

Pakistanis are primarily Indian muslim but they also have some more Persian and Afghan blood too. The Pakistanis in Panjab and Sindh are the same as Indian muslims but those further west are ethnically Afghans or even Baluchis who have little connection to India.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 12:56

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

Originally posted by strategos

Who are the Paki's?

I know you meant well, but very bad use of words.

The answer is Yes and No. Yes they are muslim indians who have their own country now and no becasue there are more muslims who live in India.

What do you mean by "very bad use of words"?! Is Paki a bad word?!  

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 14:10
Yep cyrus it is, if you read post two  (reply #1) you'll understand why.

Basically in Britain it's used as an insult to people of south asian origin. Of course it means "pure" but its the manner of how the word is used has made it offensive to south asians.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 14:56
IIRC, its just 'Pak' that means pure. But yeah, in the UK its acquired that negative context, even if other countries couldn't care less.
Still, somewhat amusing when outsiders innocently make that mistake, like Bush a few years back 
Arrrgh!!"
crazyguy000 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote crazyguy000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 19:43
The Indian Subcontinent, IE South Asia, consists of modern-day India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, the Maldives, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan. Before World War II and the Indian Independence Movement India consisted to India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. When India gained independence there become two separate countries, the Muslim nation of Pakistan, which consisted of modern Pakistan and East Pakistan(Bangladesh). Due to ethnic differences the Bengali Independence Movement occured and created the new nation of Bangladesh. Pakistanis also consist of Aryan peoples.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 21:21

Pakistani is just a citizen of Pakistan.  Pakistan was created in the 20th century out of lands occupied by the British. 

Pak/Paak means clean or pure, and it ironically its supposed to mean "Land of the Pure."

I have also heard that Pakistan is also an acronym for:

P-Punjab

A-Afghania

K-Kashmiri

I-Indian

STAN- Baluchistan

--

Ethnically they are a mix of mostly Dravidian, Turkic, Iranian, Afghan, Mongol, and some Negroid.

Edited by Afghanan
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 08:14
pakistanian is india.persian,turks.afghan and negroid.
http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 14:34

Just wondering...

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

Yep cyrus it is, if you read post two  (reply #1) you'll understand why.

Basically in Britain it's used as an insult to people of south asian origin. Of course it means "pure" but its the manner of how the word is used has made it offensive to south asians.

Can u please explain why it is offensive to the south asians????

really like to know.....

Pakistan is Indian muslims? well... mey app sey sam ji nehi hey.....

Indian muslim give me different context in point of view....

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 04:17
Originally posted by Itihaas

Pakistanis are primarily Indian muslim but they also have some more Persian and Afghan blood too. The Pakistanis in Panjab and Sindh are the same as Indian muslims but those further west are ethnically Afghans or even Baluchis who have little connection to India.

To expand on this along linguistic lines - you can roughly divide Pakistan into east and west (from the north to the south). 

Along the border with India are the provinces of Punjab (itself divided in 2 during partition) and Sindh.  In these 2 provinces the majority languages (Punjabi and Sindhi respectively) belong to the Indo-Aryan sub-group of the Indo-Iranian language family.

On the other side you have languages such as Baluchi, Pasto and other Iranian related languages belonging to the Iranian sub-group.

IIRC, Kashmiri is a Dardic language (itself also Indo-European).  An interesting note is that in Baluchistan, there is an isolated Dravidian language called Brahui.  This language is related to the South Indian languages of India, namely Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, and Tulu).
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 09:46

Firstly, the use of the word 'Paki' is very offensive. Although many Pakistanis may use the term without any offence being taken, as with the use and pardon my usage of 'nigger'.

Secondly, i would have thought that the Pakistanis were racially similar to Indians whilst still having a ethnic diffrence. Remember Pakistan and not India was part of the Timur empire.

A famaly of the old ruling class in Pakistan still speak ina eastern turkic dialect

Itihaas you mentioned that the Panjabi's and Sindharies are basically Indian. I would differ from you view as the Sindh province was were Islam first arrived in the south asian subcontinant, known as the gate way of Islam. I would have thought that there would have been some Arab merchants that would have stayed in Sindh permanantly. Names such Qureshi (menaing from the Qureysh in Arabic)are common.

The Panjabi's are also ver mixed since the colour is much diffrent compared with the average Indian.

How about Kashmir, green eyes, olive complection and brown hair.

Edited by OSMANLI
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 03:35

"Paki" is usually used in the UK and is considered derogatory in the same manner as "Nigger" is.

Cahaya, our students coined the words "Ak ak" to replace "Nigger". Effect is the same.

Edited by Hamizao
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 09:00
George W. Bush once - in a formal occasion - called the Pakistanis "Paki's" - such ignorance and insensitivity. You tell me where on earth can you find an American president more stupid than him???? (Perhaps Ronald Reagan ...)
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 09:44
Reagan at least was a sick man and he was not even pretending to rule the place. Dubya thinks he is the top dog and is medically clear
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 10:34
I think that if you want to shorten it at least say 'Pak'. As Pak means clean or pure.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 02:15
I see this hasn't been posted on for a while, but still.
It is not in any way insulting to call us paki's. Indeed everyone in Pakistan would not be offended at any way at being called a Paki. The only people in my experience who get offended at being called pakis are non-muslim indians.
Baluchi's live in Baluchistan
Afghans live in Afghanistan
Tajiks live in Tajikistan
Uzbeks live in Uzbekistan
Paki's live in Pakistan

Pakistan is the western majority muslim states of British India. Punjab Sind NWFP Baluchistan and Kashmir. The main ethnic groups are Baluchis Pathans Punjabis and Sindhi's. The languages are Baluchi, Pushto, Punjabi, Sindhi and Urdu (Hindi is Urdu with sandscrit alphabet instead of persian). We are not muslim Indians, as these are muslims living in India. This also implys that 'Indian' ais one ethnic group, which it isn't, because Indians have many different ethnic groups and languages.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 08:29

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

It is not in any way insulting to call us paki's. Indeed everyone in Pakistan would not be offended at any way at being called a Paki. The only people in my experience who get offended at being called pakis are non-muslim indians.
Paki's live in Pakistan

Pakistan is the western majority muslim states of British India. Punjab Sind NWFP Baluchistan and Kashmir. The main ethnic groups are Baluchis Pathans Punjabis and Sindhi's. The languages are Baluchi, Pushto, Punjabi, Sindhi and Urdu (Hindi is Urdu with sandscrit alphabet instead of persian). We are not muslim Indians, as these are muslims living in India. This also implys that 'Indian' ais one ethnic group, which it isn't, because Indians have many different ethnic groups and languages.

So Pakistani's used to be Muslim Indians,according to you.

Jai Badri Vishal
Jamukha View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Jamukha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 18:28

Paki's live in Pakistan

I think that is a total lack of understanding for anybody to think that calling a Pakistani a "Paki" is not offensive, since it is a term used to degrade the people and is almost always in the context of an offensive tone.  Pakistani is used to refer to those inhabitants of present day Pakistan not Paki.  This is a term mostly used in  Europe and Western societies to refer to Pakistanis in a derogatory manner.

Also, in terms of the issue pertaining to Indian Muslims, all or the majority of Pakistanis can be considered Indian Muslims when looking at it from a historical context sense before the formation of Pakistan all muslims dwelling in India were Indian Muslims. THe only real difference between my ancestors and those of a present day hindustani is that my ancestors decided to accept Islam while there's did not.

BTW PAKISTANI'S live in PAKISTAN..not PAKI'S..its a slang word that denotes inferiority and anybody blind to that fact is greatly mistaken.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>