Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongol Armor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongol Armor?
    Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 20:34
Originally posted by Temujin

Turnbull of course isn't an authority on Mognols anyways, and the book is mediocre to say at least...

re: shields. well, Gorelik, who is the authority on Steppe archaeology (armoury & weapons) always depicts Mongols with shields, including heavy cavalry, but then, he always only shows warriors which have the hgihest possible status and the most armour & equippment possible,s till i think shields are fairly common for mongols and not uncommon for heavy cavalry, Timurs heavy cavalry and heavy cavalry of Mamelukes for example also used shields.

Contemorary illustrations of Timurid troops show very few heavy cavalry with shields, and these are normally hung on the horses hindquarters.  I'm not impressed with Gorelik's books, he is seriously over generous in the equipment he depicts.  Also the primary sources are clear, the more armour a cavalryman wore, the less likely he was to use a shield.   Though, in truth, it's that the illustration is a very late period metal shield that I find most dissapointing.
rgds.

Tom..
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 21:31

Originally posted by tadamson

Also the primary sources are clear, the more armour a cavalryman wore, the less likely he was to use a shield.  

correct

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

shurite7 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote shurite7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 16:57

Originally posted by Temujin

I disagree with the shield, in fact shields were widely used by Mongols

As stated earlier shields were not widely used by Mongol heavy cavalry.  In eastern armies, shields were not widely used by cavalry.  As the Mongols traveled further west more of them adopted the use of a shield, still it wasn't the norm.

Ch

HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 08:40
Mongols in those first pictures seem to be a little bit more hairier than the Chinese....
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 22:35
Originally posted by poirot

Here are two paintings of Mongol Cavalry:

Mongol Cavalryman

Mongol Cavalry in battle

The picture is a total nonsense. The Monghol warrior is shown carrying a Chinese sword called Liuyedao  furnished in a style of the 19-20th century. Anybody interested in ancient Monghol weapons, particularly armour, should get a book by Gorelik " Weapons of the Ancient East" Atlant Publishers, 2004 , Moscow-St. Petersburgh. It is in Russian, though...

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 17:01
btw, can you tell me which Russian books on Steppe warriors did Gorelik illustrate?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 14:27

This is actually a Tatar warrior's armor, but i think its similar enough because they were in the same horde though different tribe ...

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by CamokaGurth

This is actually a Tatar warrior's armor, but i think its similar enough because they were in the same horde though different tribe ...

Whare is the image from?
If it's 'Tartar' are we talking 17thC  ukraine ?
rgds.

Tom..
Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 13:26

Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 13:28
raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote raygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 21:21
Does the mongols have a standardised armor design? From the pictures, I have an impression that each indiv had to fabricate his gear from whatever stuff he can obtain...
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 21:49
troops were punished by death if they didnt have the standard equipment.
shurite7 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote shurite7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 19:22

Originally posted by BigL

troops were punished by death if they didnt have the standard equipment.

What do you mean by standard equipment?  Do you mean a person should have the standardized stuff such as a bow, quiver, lasso, horse, saddle, etc or do you mean the equipment had to be the same as all the others in their unit?  By 'same' I mean same style of armour, same clothing and so forth. 

Yes, you are correct, they were punished if their equipment was not kept in proper order and maintained properly.

Cheers

Chris
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 06:59

Originally posted by perdon

mogols are like this? I think they look like chinese!!!

don't be fool idiot.

i think uzbek people look like eskimos.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 20:22
Originally posted by tadamson

Originally posted by CamokaGurth

Whare is the image from?
If it's 'Tartar' are we talking 17thC  ukraine ?

*Tatar... the turkic peoples who were a part of the Golden Horde invading Eastern Europe (Russia, Ukraine etc.)

and yes they were a part of the Ottoman Empire in the 17th century, live in the areas of Tatarstan and Crimea(southern Ukraine). They were known as the Crimean Khanate after the breaking of the Horde.

(based on my research "Tartar" with the "r" was the work of European change that started from the "Tatary"(just used as the areas Tatars lived at) made related to "Tartarus" from Greek mythology )

*and PLEASE dont confuse Tatars with Mongols ... ive seen many mistakes like this in western(actually American  ) history books etc. Tatars were turkic while Mongols were mongoloid

Edited by CamokaGurth
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 07:45
Steppe nomads have always been influenced by Chinese society (and sometimes vice versa), so it's no surprise that Mongol armor is reminiscent of Chinese armor. Many components of their armor were probably purchased directly from Chinese merchants.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 17:24
camokagurth wroye
 *and PLEASE dont confuse Tatars with Mongols ... ive seen many mistakes like this in western(actually American  ) history books etc. Tatars were turkic while Mongols were mongoloid

D
ude Turks are mongoloid(mostly) so are chinese and japanese.
the term monogoloid is used to point out a genetic hmmm.. something that links several races to gether.

It's Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid and few more.

Edited by ahiska
Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 18:41

Originally posted by ahiska

camokagurth wroye

D
ude Turks are mongoloid(mostly) so are chinese and japanese.
the term monogoloid is used to point out a genetic hmmm.. something that links several races to gether.

It's Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid and few more.

Turks are mixed of Mongoloid and caucasoid since the beginning of their existance chinese sources points out that turks(xiong-nu,tujue and some others) has some caucasian features like strong hair growth. Of course percantage of caucasian-mongoloid mixture changed over time

Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 08:23
Hi!

Where were this photos made?

TSZ

Originally posted by vulkan02

here is some pics I found recently.

HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 19:57
Mongols are East Asian Turks and West Turks are Central Asian, but West Turks are mongoloid as well (the way they look is like intermediate Mongoloid and Europoid)..LOL
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>