Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Minorities and Humans Rights: Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minorities and Humans Rights: Turkey
    Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 19:50

Turkey has a less than clean human rights record, from being accused of genocide to forcing ethnic divisions on Cyprus. How are turkeys today treatment of its minorities and have a view on its human rights record?

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 19:57

Displaced

HRW says that up to a million Kurds are now living in miserable conditions in cities across Turkey, hundreds of kilometres from their homes.

Many villages in the south-east were ordered to be evacuated by the Turkish security forces during the 15-year war against Kurdish guerrillas.

The government is refusing to allow them to return unless they sign papers freeing the state from any responsibility.

Villagers complain particularly about so-called "village guards" - men who occupy the village and harass or attack those who try to reclaim their property, says the BBC' Ankara correspondent Jonny Dymond.

Human Rights Watch has called on Turkey to set up a proper planning process for the return of those displaced, and to take steps to return villages to the condition they were in when they were evacuated or abandoned. -BBC News 30 October, 2002 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2375765.stm

In Turkey, a NATO ally, the report cited "a general recognition, including by the government, that the country's human rights performance is inadequate and needs to be brought in line."

The report criticized Turkish police and security forces for reported jail beating deaths and disappearances, and said that torture remained widespread. In southeast Turkey, where a Kurdish separatist movement remains active, emergency powers provisions have quashed the freedoms of impoverished Kurds. -February 26, 1999 CNN

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9902/26/human.rights.02/

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 00:21

see, antiturkish and antimexican posting is all that you can do.
are you really seriously going to post something worthly to read at some point ?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 06:35
There is already a similar topic about Greece, so I wouldn't call this anti-Turkish.

Apart from that, "your country has a worse human rights situation than mine" is already better than "my grandfather told he was killed by your grandfather".
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 13:53
Why do you pick on Strategos? This has nothing to do with Mexico and you have no understanding of our history or struggle with Turkish dominance. The Greeks have not been total saints and there has been evil on both sides but Turky does have a questionable human rights history. They will have to face this and deal with their lack of religious freedom before they can be considered for EU entry.

Apart from that, "your country has a worse human rights situation than mine" is already better than "my grandfather told he was killed by your grandfather".
Mixcoati clarify this please.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 14:16
Originally posted by eaglecap

I was referring to all those pointless discussions about alleged atrocities commited by Turks against Greeks and vice versa.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 16:07
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by eaglecap

Apart from that, "your country has a worse human
rights situation than mine" is already better than "my grandfather told
he was killed by your grandfather".

I was referring to all those pointless discussions about alleged atrocities commited by Turks against Greeks and vice versa.

Thank you!!
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 21:58

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

see, antiturkish and antimexican posting is all that you can do.
are you really seriously going to post something worthly to read at some point ?

Are you that bored in your own life to come follow my posts and not even add anything to the conversation! This is not anti-turkish, there is already a thread for greek treatment of minorities and human records as well!!

Edited by strategos
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 17:58

Immigration and refugee board

Without specifically referring to Kurds in western Turkey, the Executive Director of the Washington Kurdish Institute (WKI) in Washington, DC, a non-profit organization that advocates for the rights of Kurds (WKI n.d.), stated in correspondence with the Research Directorate that:

"Kurds who assert their Kurdish identity can face substantial legal and extra-judicial problems. [This] depends on the degree of their assertion. Speaking publicly in Kurdish is no longer routinely punished, but listening to Kurdish music, reading Kurdish language publications, etc. can draw unwanted attention. There have been recent incidences of films being pulled from festivals because of Kurdish content, as well as musicians being arrested for performing Kurdish songs at weddings, etc. (8 May 2003).

The Economist article also pointed out that most Kurds are "well assimilated" with Turks and in Turkish society, and do not seek the type of expression of their Kurdish identity as that which is sought by the Kurdish political party, the Democratic People's Party (DEHAP), formerly known as the People's Democratic Party (HADEP) (ibid.). Further, the article noted that a well-known singer was jailed for a week in June 2003 for having sung a provocative song in Kurdish, and that "it is still illegal for a Kurd to register his child with a Kurdish name" (ibid.).

According to the Izmir branch of the Displaced Persons Social Aid and Cultural Association (Goc-Der)

"

"The tents [raised by displaced Kurds] have been erected in isolated, unattractive areas far from the city center. Inside, people sit on nylon sheets and rugs. At night, bed-rolls are unfurled. ...

No person has the chance to live a healthy life in these tents that leak and are no protection from the elements. there are no kitchens, bathrooms, toilets or sinks no supplies of running water. Water is carried in from far away places in buckets and barrels or bowsers. These tents are far from the main roads and have no electricity or telephones.

There are no institutions supermarkets, markets, hospitals or pharmacies. There are no newspapers or TVs and so contact with the outside world is broken. They bake their own bread but are all suffering from malnutrition. They cannot buy foodstuffs with high nutritional values like eggs, milk, meat and seasonal vegetables. The most extravagant luxury they have is beans and rice" (Turkish Daily News 24 Jan. 2001)."

In January 2002, Turkey's main Kurdish party HADEP reportedly claimed that Turkish security forces had "rounded up more than 5000 people and arrested over 300 in a nationwide crackdown against a campaign to have the Kurdish language taught in schools and universities," which began in November 2001 (Radio Netherlands 25 Jan. 2002).

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
 Post Reply Post Reply