Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multilingualism and USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multilingualism and USA
    Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 04:32
Let's start to judge the new US president by his actions and results

The White House's Spanish-language page is gone. They said they will put it back.

http://www.engadget.com/2017/01/23/white-house-trump-spanish-language-website-down-twitter/

But How can people be that much careless. People are waiting to hit Trumps with minority problems. 
Is it too hard to put on a label, like "we are coming soon" instead of "page not found" ?

How do you see Multilingualism in USA, should it be supported or one country, one flag, one language?

Edited by Aeoli - 24-Jan-2017 at 04:39
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 04:34
THE SPANISH government has criticised the removal of Spanish language content from the White House website.

Edited by Aeoli - 24-Jan-2017 at 04:38
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 04:53
What do republicans&democrats with Spanish&Mexican heritage say about it?
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 09:52
also what are the Americans thinks about the future of Spanish in USA?

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 11:11
Originally posted by Aeoli

If you work in the Landscape/horticulture field, you have to have at least a minimal grasp of Spanish.
However as time goes on Latino folks are becoming more "Americanized".

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 11:55
Correct.

As was and should remain typical. Cultural diversity and exchange is important..no doubt....but Mexicans illegal or other; do not decide the national and official language of the United States. hence their irrevelent until such time as they represent a majority of the population and desires a change viz a vie the legislative branch.

No doubt an error...but as usual the Obammites would make a huge issue reference ethnic sensitivity...much like the LIE revealed... even tho perped by the Red leftist media; ref King's bust being removed from the WH.

Typical lefty bullshit. Hence the greater sin was when Obammites couldn't even keep up their AHCA website up.

Over and over and over again.

Their strength is not competency necessarily....but rather lies..distortion..mis representation...obsfucation and pcness gone insane.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 13:12
Lies? Oh, you mean like Trump saying that 3-5 million illegals voted for Hillary, and that's why he lost the popular vote? Or that he never mocked a disabled reporter, even though it's on video.

Admit it, you support that bloated clueless jackass.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2017 at 15:08
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by Aeoli

If you work in the Landscape/horticulture field, you have to have at least a minimal grasp of Spanish.
However as time goes on Latino folks are becoming more "Americanized".

Italian and Russians can be Americanized. But because of large population, I don't think Hispanic will be totally Americanized. 

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

As was and should remain typical. 

As was and should remain ??? How sounds pre-Coloumbus time. How sounds south-north division time?Wink 

The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

but Mexicans illegal or other; do not decide the national and official language of the United States. hence their irrevelent until such time as they represent a majority of the population and desires a change viz a vie the legislative branch.

The issue is not just illegal Mexicans, there are more legal Spanish speaker in USA then illegal migrants. 

So what about legals?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorb People in Germany (60.000-70.000 people)

They are native people and some kind of Western Slavs. Their languages has protection in some areas in Germany. However language of millions of Turks in Turkey doesn't have that kind of official protection. 

It is also same in Turkey, there are primary anh High school in Greek languages but even singing in Kurdish was illegal a couble of decade before.

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2017 at 04:22

Lies? Oh, you mean like Trump saying that 3-5 million illegals voted for Hillary, and that's why he lost the popular vote? Or that he never mocked a disabled reporter, even though it's on video.

Admit it, you support that bloated clueless jackass.

Nope didn't and still don't. Nor did I vote for him.. 2 early to tell as 2 whether he walks his talk. 

All the above was accurate. And he should be held responsible for it.. as either distorionism or out right lies and fabrications and I do. Ill say that again...I do.

That however DOES NOT mitigate
the 8 years of the Obammites; lies-distortions-obsfucatiions-misrepresentations and false news....hence a strawman by u who will not admit to them as well.

If u do then ur on the road to recovery.

amen.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2017 at 09:42
This calls for a Time Out. Centrix is suspended for obvious multiple violations of the CoC.

Thread closed
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2017 at 11:39
I've deleted the offending post. If the discussion can be kept clean and casual it will remain open.
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2017 at 11:56
We are a country of immigrants. There are many languages still spoken here, however the language spoken officially is English. It will remain that way.
My Dads family was mainly Irish, even though they came here in the 1870's, the first and 2nd gens still spoke Gaelic at home.

It will take time, and the realization that to function on an even basis with the rest of us, they will need to be fluent in English.

Unknown.
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2017 at 13:49

We are a country of immigrants. There are many languages still spoken here, however the language spoken officially is English. It will remain that way.
My Dads family was mainly Irish, even though they came here in the 1870's, the first and 2nd gens still spoke Gaelic at home.

It will take time, and the realization that to function on an even basis with the rest of us, they will need to be fluent in English.

There is no other language similar with Spanish, so Gaelic can't be an example. 

It is like comparing Armenian and Kurdish in Turkey. 75% percent of young Armenian speaks only Turkish. Because they are small community who live in big cities. 

Similary most of Turk-Greek etc live in US big cities, not like living in a village with be major ethnic group 

I remember a news about US mayor candicate who doesn't know english.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am speaking as a Turk who live in a country whose 20% population is not Turk. I would be very glad, if 
none of them spoke their ethnic language as primary. 

but I am also a Turk whose nation is number one migrant in Netherland-Austrai-Germany. In there, I am in the opposite side. 

So supporting assimilation of non-Turkic people in Turkey but, being against Turk assimilation in Europe. That's human nature. However it is not logical and so two faced which is disgusting.

That's why, I don't speak with nationality. 

I am saying that I am seeing. I don't think English American culture can defeat Hispanic Culture.

Don't you think that act like these against French in Canada, increases supporter of Quebec Independence? 

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2017 at 21:00
I was using Gaelic not to compare with Spanish, but to point out that assimilation takes time.

Spanish culture will eventually be assimilated and become part of the greater American immigrant based culture. It won't be lost, but neither will it supplant or replace our culture as we now know it. It will enhance it.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply