Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Colorism of Arabs during rise of Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AbareKiller View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AbareKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorism of Arabs during rise of Islam?
    Posted: 26-Jul-2016 at 14:47
I was wondering. I'm sure many of you who have studied islam have heard of the sayings against discrimination and know of many black africans in history who happened to be muslim? However it is noted that there was a preference for light skin during that time with the example of white houris in paradise and for example, shia islam believes that all people in paradise will turn a white color(like paper) in heaven. Due to this, would it be accurate to call the early arabs during the time colorist due to this? In case you don't know, colorism is this:

prejudice or discrimination against individuals with a dark skin tone, typically among people of the same ethnic or racial group.

For anyone who has studied this, your answers would be most appreciated.
joshua chasseur is online now Report Post  
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2016 at 20:07
Your a member of Historum, yet you come here to pose your question. Interesting.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2016 at 13:13
Originally posted by AbareKiller

<table id="post2577730" ="tborder" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%" align="center" style="border: 1px solid rgb11, 25, 35; color: rgb206, 209, 211; font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: 17.3333px; : rgb59, 78, 91;"><t><tr valign="top"><td ="alt1" id="td_post_2577730" style="font-stretch: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.3; color: rgb255, 255, 255; : rgb51, 68, 80;"><div id="post_message_2577730">I was wondering. I'm sure many of you who have studied islam have heard of the sayings against discrimination and know of many black africans in history who happened to be muslim? However it is noted that there was a preference for light skin during that time with the example of white houris in paradise and for example, shia islam believes that all people in paradise will turn a white color(like paper) in heaven. Due to this, would it be accurate to call the early arabs during the time colorist due to this? In case you don't know, colorism is this:prejudice or discrimination against individuals with a dark skin tone, typically among people of the same ethnic or racial group.For anyone who has studied this, your answers would be most appreciated.</td></tr><tr><td ="alt1" style="font-stretch: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.3; color: rgb255, 255, 255; vertical-align: bottom; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: rgb59, 78, 91; : rgb51, 68, 80;"></td></tr><tr><td ="alt2" style="font-stretch: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.3; color: rgb133, 148, 160; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: rgb29, 45, 56; : rgb47, 63, 74;">joshua chasseur is online now Report Post  </td></tr></t></table>

That point aside..which is amusing. Historum no longer interests me.

The answer is contextual. Based on socio-cultural development tied to theologic ideologies and dogma. And as they developwed ya can throw in economic-social status considerations as well.

Which is to say the same exists to this very day among people of color in any society. egs. are numerous. India with it's still well recognized caste system..American Blacks with their identification of terms used during their slavery period. etc.etc.

Consequently...and yes Ive studied the development of Islam..it was no surprise to find it there....then and now.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2016 at 14:14
white houris in paradise possibly may not be racial skin hue. In Genesis Sarah/Sarai was "fair", the daughters of men in Genesis 6 were "fair". But in/to many ancient high cultures men were dark/terra-cotta (outdoors, manly/masculine) and women were fair/light (indoors, feminine) eg in Etruscan paintings. (Cro-Magnons had notible sexual  dimorphism.)

There have been Muslim sects with Yakov created white devils myth; Black Muslims; etc.

Every natural tribal group had its "in/men" and "out/not-men" dualism (refs AJ Gregor, Gerald Massey). In Egypt the Ro(m)t/Ro(m)t (red) was favoured and the Tamahu/Meshwesh/Libyan (white) was not.

Race is "Horizontal/spiritual  race not (or not just) vertical/physical/materialistic race" (refs Ulick Varange/FP Yockey, Julius Evola).

a username with killer in it doesn't seem very wise to me. I hope Abare is not an anagram for Arab?

Historum recently refused to un-suspend me after me asking after i was banned unfairy last year. (I'm 'Rob Banks'.)

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 27-Jul-2016 at 14:19
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AbareKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2016 at 15:59
Has anyone ever read illuminating darkness by habeeb akande?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2016 at 22:38
Excerpts.

He's, IMHO, a Black activist expansionist and neo revisionist. I wont call him an apologist. Nor will I criticize his credentials.

Ntl. He makes an attempt to increase relevence where potentially and contextually it did not originally exist. With the initial creation of Islam by the prophet.

He is accurate in his explanation of Black Africans becoming reputable devote and sincere Islamists. But this as noted, was not contextually the major ethnicity in and at the time of the creation of Islam.

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AbareKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2016 at 06:59
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Excerpts.

He's, IMHO, a Black activist expansionist and neo revisionist. I wont call him an apologist. Nor will I criticize his credentials.

Ntl. He makes an attempt to increase relevence where potentially and contextually it did not originally exist. With the initial creation of Islam by the prophet.

He is accurate in his explanation of Black Africans becoming reputable devote and sincere Islamists. But this as noted, was not contextually the major ethnicity in and at the time of the creation of Islam.

Sir, may I request something of you. .  could you do me a favor please? Mr.Akande is on facebook:https://www.facebook.com/habeeb.akande

I've been asking him a question similiar to this, but he does not respond at all as I think i am bothering him. Seeing as he has done much research into this, if you have facebook, could you ask him this exact question: Even IF islam did say that the dwellers of paradise would be white( like paper, not caucascian white), would it be colorism or a preference? Please say just 'if' as I don't want him to be troubled by the above as I am not sure if the hadith is authentic? Please as I really am curious to this and I feel like he could give me the best answer.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2016 at 17:11
No.
I will not contact him or any other as your defacto represenitive, for a variety of reasons.

To include:

A. I have no interest in the topic matter.

B. You can not afford my usual consultation fees for acting as a surrogate.

C. If your that interested seek other sources to either refute or confirm his analysis on your own. Or pose questions. This is what professional and even amateur academics and scholars do. They do not rely on others efforts as a primary venue...simply because their to lazy to do the work themselves. Or because the subject of their efforts refuse to speak with them.

You can begin by contacting his University associations and associates and or his publishers and literary agents.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 28-Jul-2016 at 17:12

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AbareKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2016 at 17:58
Ok then, but seeing as you've read the book of his, would you say it is due to colorism or just following a certain beauty standard?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2016 at 21:00
Originally posted by AbareKiller

Ok then, but seeing as you've read the book of his, would you say it is due to colorism or just following a certain beauty standard?

I said I read excerpts. As to your above....I have not formed an opinion other than to the contextual relevance ref ethnicity of his general hypothesis in parts.

Consequently for you to refute or support it... remains for You.. to determine the answer to your question.

There is imo, at an instinctual level, probably much value to be found in support; but that might or might not be my final opinion...and could not be. Until if and when I desired to continue to research the subject matter more conclusively.

And as I noted...I do not. Iow, your asking me to speculate as to motivation and intent which I am inadequately prepared to do beyond that which I already have from the contextual initial creation of Islam.

Speculation is not what I prefer...tho sometimes required when evidences and the record is not available, inadequate, or the subject to misinterpretation and or academic contention amongst parties with differing interpretive agendas.

It is however no substitution for the analysis and and evaluation leading to an 'objective historical' opinion based on the 'method'. And that requires much study.

My final suggestion is to do what I have already advised..seek more sources...and in that light I'll provide you the following link.

Btw, had you contracted me for a subject matter expert or general matter expert analysis...by now you would now be being billed for 750.00 dollars

I'm good but I'm not cheap. And I'm damn sure not for free.

http://rabaah.com/illuminating-the-darkness.html

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 28-Jul-2016 at 21:02

S. T. Friedman

Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2016 at 16:40
white houris might alternatively/also mean virgins since white ~ purity?
 Post Reply Post Reply