Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey Shoots Down Russian Jet Fighter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey Shoots Down Russian Jet Fighter
    Posted: 27-Nov-2015 at 19:16
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Originally posted by Mosquito

You both restating the obvious...and I agree.

But Turkish allied rebels 'murdering' the pilot was stupid...and a war crime...that did not have to be laid at Turkey's feet.

And arguing, or obfuscating, and disregarding it, thru minimization is mere straw.

On the other hand this pilot was a member of bomber crew which was bombing Turkish allies. When one sends soldiers to kill other people, he must be aware that his soldiers are also mortal and may die.

Turkish allies were stupid and the fact he was in a mission posture does not minimize the war crime. His target was approved by his higher authority. Therefore his mission, while perhaps odius, was ntl legal based on that authority and their sovereign legality.

His summary execution 'under parachute' was not.

Wars have no rules. He was the same target as the people he was bombing. And btw - Iv never heard about international law saying that shooting to enemy soldiers if they are under parachute is not allowed. Pilots kills, so does their victims. He was a rightful target. It is war, there is no place for chivlaric behaviour.

In the war
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2015 at 20:21
Wars & the military most surely do have 'rules', & violation of such rules can be deemed 'crimes'..

Shooting a defenceless pilot in his chute, or once landed - is def' not in the same category as shooting descending/invading paratroops..
Be Modest In Thyself..
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2015 at 20:47
Originally posted by J.A.W.

Wars & the military most surely do have 'rules', & violation of such rules can be deemed 'crimes'..
Shooting a defenceless pilot in his chute, or once landed - is def' not in the same category as shooting descending/invading paratroops..

It was the common practice during WW2 on the both sides.

And btw why do you think that shooting pilot under parachute is worse than bombing city?
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2015 at 21:40
Well, according to the rules, you are entitled to shoot the pilot in his plane, while he is bombing you..
However, once he is defenceless, due to being in his chute, he is technically your prisoner, & under care.

Prisoners are accorded protection under the 'rules', & violators may be subject to 'criminal' sanctions.

If he was coming down in his own military area, & likely to be back in combat, that is a wee bit different..
Be Modest In Thyself..
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2015 at 22:47

Well, according to the rules, you are entitled to shoot the pilot in his plane, while he is bombing you..
However, once he is defenceless, due to being in his chute, he is technically your prisoner, & under care.
Prisoners are accorded protection under the 'rules', & violators may be subject to 'criminal' sanctions.
If he was coming down in his own military area, & likely to be back in combat, that is a wee bit different..

Indeed there are rules about treatment of prisoners of war (which are not worldwide - binding only states which signed some international conventions) but there is nothing about shooting to pilots who are under para's. Until he gets chance to surrender he is a legal target.
And in Syria Russian forces dont fight against any state but self organised militias which are not a side of any international conventions not to mention the fact they they are even not representing "one side" of the conflict.
J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 02:18
Sure, point taken, & Russians were never AFAIR, - known for being 'gentlemanly' in such matters..

However, I am reasonably certain that some harshness will likely be meted out in return.. 
..whereas a 'ransom' or some favour - might have been forthcoming instead for a safely held pilot..

It is a fact that a number of Germans in WW2 - found to have summarily killed Allied aircrews who had bailed out of their planes  into territory - as prisoners = under their control, were later tried, & executed for their 'crimes'..

Certainly though, aircrews were unlikely to be shot at by regular ground  forces while descending unarmed as potential prisoners ( in the West at least)  in WW2..

Be Modest In Thyself..
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 03:41

Shortly said:Put Your vain under the blanket&and let us stop this exodus&fighting soon as it possible together.Repatriation follows next: New Marshal plan for Siria.Why do not all region?Avganistan?Iraq?Fix the Middle East and civilize it.Period.

Edited by medenaywe - 01-Dec-2015 at 07:35
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 16:26
Rules and regulations...as noted by J.A.W. have been around for a while now...and only the most obdurate would refuse to acknowledge a well known fact of reality.

Adherence to them is another question. As is the acceptance and enforcement.

And as I noted, Poland for example, is a signature and by de facto enforcing agent of the same. The Turks not and obviously not the rebels committing the war crime...for whether 'liked or not'. Proto 1, Art 42, exists and is recognized in NATO...less Turkey.

The history of the 'courtesies-conditions-behaviors' of war...which became the 'rules and conduct of governing' it, is an old story (dating from ancient eras)(Sources including: Biblical-Indian manuscripts-Koran-Medieval Church and Secular) and can be easily researched.

A more recent example was the claimed inadvertent bombing of a hospital in Afghanistan.

Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital: military

''Some U.S. personnel were suspended and could face disciplinary action after failing to follow U.S. rules of engagement in a war zone, said U.S. Army General John Campbell, who leads international forces in Afghanistan.''...

continues@ http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/25/us-afghanistan-attack-msf-investigation-idUSKBN0TE1XH20151125

Those 'rules of engagement' are directly based on the 'Law of Land warfare' and the UCMJ; in turn in keeping with the protocols of the GC.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 28-Nov-2015 at 16:26
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 17:48
Well, Polish soldiers who killed civilians in Afganistan had accusations based on Polish law, not international.

http://jurist.org/forum/2015/04/milena-serio-war-crimes.php

Edited by Mosquito - 28-Nov-2015 at 17:49
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 18:21
Originally posted by Mosquito

Well, Polish soldiers who killed civilians in Afganistan had accusations based on Polish law, not international.

http://jurist.org/forum/2015/04/milena-serio-war-crimes.php

Not uncommon...actually quite common; given the parameters of most Status of Forces Agreements (SOF) between a participating nation and a host.

In this case; the soldiers in question: ''Warsaw military court acquitted four Polish soldiers of war crimes over the killing of six civilians in Afghanistan in 2007.''

Cc: Mosquito's link.

Which further corroborates the general agreement of jurisdiction as agreed upon. Which is generally found in SOF's. This however does not detract that the Poles remain signatures of the afore noted, many times, Proto's and provisions of the GC. Which is after investigation, why their trial was conducted in the first place.

This often proves contentious, ie. criminal jurisdiction; among the parties.

As has Turkey's refusal to sign the GC.

This was, and remains, further exacerbated by a war crime committed by their rebel allies.

S. T. Friedman

Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 00:51
Russia attack in border violation case  (1983)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 12:39
Murder is Murder. Don't straw it. Both while relative given context and era; remain murder.

In this most recent case....the Turks and their inability to control their Rebel allies and their allies act remain responsible for actions commited during military operations...which make it a War Crime.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 30-Nov-2015 at 12:54

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 15:42
Till You solve international law issues crises grows and ISIS kills&cleans people.I really do not know are you collaborators or what?Russia sorry for Your pilot!Shake your hands and finish your mission together.
J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2015 at 02:12
Yeah, I heard that Putin is going to make more of it, virtually accusing the Islamist Turkish Gov't as
being in cahoots with ISIS in an oil/money laundering scheme.. ( & he should know, being in that biz..)
Be Modest In Thyself..
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2015 at 03:38

Murder is Murder. Don't straw it. Both while relative given context and era; remain murder.
In this most recent case....the Turks and their inability to control their Rebel allies and their allies act remain responsible for actions commited during military operations...which make it a War Crime.

1-Turkey didn't attacked Russian Plane just because it was attacking Syrian Rebels. It was border violation. 

2-The situation is not ally situation in WW. Turkey is not active part of war against Assad. 

3-If Turkey is responsible for action of their Syrian allies ?, don't you think that USA is responsible for that war crime becuase they are ally with Turkey. 

4-Unfortunetly, as always be, winners never punish for their war crimes. This destroys all meaning of the point.

Yeah, I heard that Putin is going to make more of it, virtually accusing the Islamist Turkish Gov't as
being in cahoots with ISIS in an oil/money laundering scheme.. ( & he should know, being in that biz..)

I hope, they didn't go after the malpractice issues, maybe this can be reason. Turkey is not enough smart to plan it. It is just sa pawn

Edited by Aeoli - 01-Dec-2015 at 03:44
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2015 at 15:27
Originally posted by Aeoli

1-Turkey didn't attacked Russian Plane just because it was attacking Syrian Rebels. It was border violation.

2-The situation is not ally situation in WW. Turkey is not active part of war against Assad.

3-If Turkey is responsible for action of their Syrian allies ?, don't you think that USA is responsible for that war crime becuase they are ally with Turkey.

4-Unfortunetly, as always be, winners never punish for their war crimes. This destroys all meaning of the point.

1. That was never the question.

2. True enough in part...as they have bought ISIS oil....which has helped fund them...and yet released Incirlik again for anti-ISIS ops.
Iow. the Turkish government is riding the fence.....again.

3. Absolutely and therein lies the failure of the current administration to lead and to advise.

4. True enough and the Turks, like many others, have committed or aided atrocities...one in particular comes to mind.

The great Ataturk, no doubt, is disgusted with your entire performance to date.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 01-Dec-2015 at 19:16

S. T. Friedman

Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2015 at 01:01

True enough and the Turks, like many others, have committed or aided atrocities...one in particular comes to mind.

The great Ataturk, no doubt, is disgusted with your entire performance to date.

Typical Western Bias: Evil Turk image and magnificient Ataturk figure. Such a cliche.

My performance ? 
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2015 at 08:59
Iv been to Turkey many times. First time in 1989 and many times after it. I got friends in Turkey. One of them escaped for two years to Poland.. in 90ties. He didnt want to be conscripted to the army and lived in Poland untill his affairs in Turkey were settled. That time he often lived in my home. When one of the members of this forum - Diplomat - has asked, I took to some extent care for Turkish student in my city who came to university here on ERASMUS stipendium program.

Personaly I got great sympathy for Turkish people and the last thing I could say about the Turks is that they are evil. The Turks are friendly and warm people.

However I must admitt that I see the changes which happend there and that Turkey dont live with the ideals of great Kemal Mustafa Attaturk anymore.
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2015 at 09:22
This is a map after the last election. Normally, nationalist people share the map of their great counrty. Example Great Greece, which have Istanbul, etc.

Because of the political polarisation, helped to grow macro nationalism in Turkey. People shared plenty of map like this. Most of them just for fuen. But even you couldn't say or just a mean something like that. 

Worship of Ataturk Idol is a problem in Turkey such as Ultra Nationalism(Kurd-Turk) or Political Islam.  

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2015 at 19:49
I dont see a problem in nationalism. I always consider it as good and healthy thing for every nation. And I dont think that there are greater nationalists anywhere in the world than in USA which is ultranationalistic.
The problem in Turkey which I can see myself is that Turkish nationalism is somehow merging with religion. The same problem I can also observe in my own country.
Turkey and Poland had in the same time two national heroes - Attaturk and Pilsudski. Neither of them wanted their country to become "too religious" and both supported nationalist but secular state. Actually when I think about them I can see more similar things than differences.

Edited by Mosquito - 02-Dec-2015 at 19:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>