Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prince Edward went to France

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prince Edward went to France
    Posted: 18-Jun-2015 at 20:35
During World War I Edward, Prince of Wales insisted on going to France and the front line of the fighting.      
Suppose Edward were taken prisoner by the enemy? Suppose he were killed?   
It would not do. The heir to the throne had to be protected.       
Prince Edward would have none of it.            
He went to France. He went right to the front line. He was there in the trenches, while British soldiers were under fire
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2015 at 04:04
He went on practise exercises, but he never actually got to fight.

He was assigned GHQ duties, and hated it.

From Northern France in March 1915 he wrote a letter complaining ;

"As you may imagine mine is a most rotten position in wartime. I hold commissions in both services and yet I'm not allowed to fight. Of course I haven't got a proper job which is very painful to me and I feel I am left too much in a glass case. I long to be taking my chance in the trenches with my brother officers and in fact all able bodied Englishmen. But both seem to be impossible, so I have to carry on here at GHQ, attached to Divisions from time to time when all is quiet. It's a dull, monotonous life. This is a most rotten war unless you are actually fighting. It's a rotten war all together and the sooner it ends the better for everyone concerned."

Edited by Sidney - 20-Jun-2015 at 04:11
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2015 at 20:32
Despite the dangers and risks, Prince Edward loved every minute of it.    
At last, he could be with ordinary men, sharing their problems, talking with them as if he were their equal.     
King George V definitely did not approve. He believed royals should remain aloof and dignified.
 Post Reply Post Reply