Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

guns in the US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kentuckian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: guns in the US
    Posted: 20-May-2005 at 22:01

A LOT OF FOREIGNERS THIBK THAT OUR GUN CONTROL LAWS ARE NOT STRICT ENOUGH.  I AM AN NOT AMERICAN SUPREMIST (ON WITH THE FATHERLAND), BUT THIS IS ONE AREA WHERE I BELIEVE FOREIGNERS SHOULD MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.  PEOPLE SAY THAT THE GUNS LEAD TO VIOLENCE, I DISAGREE, IT IS NOT THE GUN THAT CAUSES THE PROBLEMS,BUT THE MAN USING THE GUN.  OWNING GUNS IS AWSOME (MY HOUSE IS A VIRTUAL ARSENAL COMPLETE WITH AN SKS) FOR BOTH DEFENSIVE AND SPORTING REASONS (I LOVE HUNTING).

IN MY OPINION GUN FREEDOM IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE OTHER FREEDOMS AMRICA ENJOYS....SO PLEASE I'M TIRED OF PEOPLE SAYING GUNS ARE EVIL 

Edited by Kentuckian
"I have not yet begun to fight." - John Paul Jones

"America will win through absolute victory" - President Franklin Roosevelt

"This was our finest hour." - Winston Churchill
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 00:25
Please don't write in all caps, and stop ranting. 
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 02:16

sorry 'bout the all caps, i didn't notice it was on until i was almost finished and i didn't want to go back and rewrite it all

and it is not ranting...

Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 02:18
Just to say,hunting for sport is wrong...

In Honor
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 02:22

do you think it is morally wrong to kill animals vamun tianshu?  i definitely don't think so, but if that is your view i do respect that.

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 02:39
well, I respect that we have the 2nd amendment and that shouldnot be overturned.

I have a problem with the fact that I can't drink alcohol at 20, but i can go out and buy an SKS or AK-47.

I have no problem with hunting. We are the top of the food chain and I think that it is okay as long as you eat and make use of what you kill. Just don't be wasteful when it comes to life.

I do agree that we as Americans should be allowed to own firearms. But I question the need tfor us to own military assault rifles.

and the arguemnt about the gun not doing the killing doesn't really work for me. If you decrease the amount of guns, murders will go down. Its a proven correlation. It is hugely unfair to the responsible gun owners out there, but it does decrease murder rates.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 02:46

the guns would be gotten from elsewhere, crime would remain the same (I think)

and the SKS in just darned fun to shoot

JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 11:42
i agree with the 2nd amendment but who needs a full auto Ak-47 for hunting
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 13:50
You miss the point!! It is not about duck hunting but the idea of the second amendent is to defend our nation from enemies from within and without. By theory, if our government were to turn tyrranical we, as U.S. citizens, have the right to rebel.
One of the first things Hilter did was take away gun rights- hmmmm!! The courts are looking more and more to world opinion in case law and that worries me. I also agree it is not the buisness of the U.N.
If they remove the 2nd amendment then what is next?

______

Give me Freedom or Give me Death!!
by P.H.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 17:49

eaglecap has exactly the right idea...the government is showing trust in its citizens to allow them to have guns

(but hunting is still fun)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by eaglecap

You miss the point!! It is not about duck hunting but the idea of the second amendent is to defend our nation from enemies from within and without. By theory, if our government were to turn tyrranical we, as U.S. citizens, have the right to rebel.

probably but citizens also can overtrhow a democratic government with guns, or support a dictatorial.
Furthermore guns are not sufficient any more for overthrowing governments. You also need tanks, rockets, cruisers and planes, are you going to allow citizens to use these as well?

One of the first things Hilter did was take away gun rights- hmmmm!!

Hitler also used to breathe, so let's outlaw breating.

If they remove the 2nd amendment then what is next?

this is the slippery slope, which is a logicial fallacy.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 19:11
I wouldn't mind so much, if you Americans use your guns only to kill each other, as you do so abundantly.

But as you have promoted the right to wear and use guns to the all overriding maxim of US foreign policy, I think it might not be a bad idea to begin a change of this trigger-happy mentality right at home.

Or alternatively, apply your beloved 2nd amendment to all the other countries you currently rule, so they can get the full benefit of "Freedom" American style.
I'm sure you don't mind that quite a number of Iraqis and Afghans own weapons as long it's for "defensive" reasons.
And what better reason could their be than the defense of one's own country against foreign invaders.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 22:19

Originally posted by Komnenos

But as you have promoted the right to wear and use guns to the all overriding maxim of US foreign policy, I think it might not be a bad idea to begin a change of this trigger-happy mentality right at home.

Or alternatively, apply your beloved 2nd amendment to all the other countries you currently rule, so they can get the full benefit of "Freedom" American style.
I'm sure you don't mind that quite a number of Iraqis and Afghans own weapons as long it's for "defensive" reasons.
And what better reason could their be than the defense of one's own country against foreign invaders.

that's crazy!...there's a big difference between current events in the US and in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Are trying to say we should let them have armed uprisings? getting more of our people killed?  No, I think that once Iraq and Afganistan have have their governments firmly in place they should be allowed to own guns, but there are just too many people over there who just want to fight against democracy because they hate the US for reasons other than setting up a new, better government.  With guns... it would be awful

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 01:00
Originally posted by Kentuckian

A LOT OF FOREIGNERS THIBK THAT OUR GUN CONTROL LAWS ARE NOT STRICT ENOUGH.  I AM AN AMERICAN SUPREMIST (ON WITH THE FATHERLAND), BUT THIS IS ONE AREA WHERE I BELIEVE FOREIGNERS SHOULD MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.  PEOPLE SAY THAT THE GUNS LEAD TO VIOLENCE, I DISAGREE, IT IS NOT THE GUN THAT CAUSES THE PROBLEMS,BUT THE MAN USING THE GUN.  OWNING GUNS IS AWSOME (MY HOUSE IS A VIRTUAL ARSENAL COMPLETE WITH AN SKS) FOR BOTH DEFENSIVE AND SPORTING REASONS (I LOVE HUNTING).

IN MY OPINION GUN FREEDOM IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE OTHER FREEDOMS AMRICA ENJOYS....SO PLEASE I'M TIRED OF PEOPLE SAYING GUNS ARE EVIL 

I am 100% pro second amendment and I suport being able to onw everything even beyond an automatic rifle, but this post is so poorly made and your argument so hackneyed I see no reason to support your views on this thread.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 01:45
thanks a million Tobodai

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 02:38
Originally posted by Komnenos

I wouldn't mind so much, if you Americans use your guns only to kill each other, as you do so abundantly.

Komnenos- You do not know our history and it is an internal affair and even though you have a right to an opinion, the gun issue in the U.S. is not of your buisness. Beside, you have no political power to act or no say in our governmental process. So, what you say is only a pointless opinion. The vast majority of legal gun owners are law abiding and even if they were not availble there is the black market and only criminal would have them. Afganistan or Iraq was not the point of this thread.
"Give me liberty or give me death!!
Komnenos who said this????
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 05:46
Originally posted by eaglecap

"Give me liberty or give me death!!
Komnenos who said this????

I'm not sure, but let me have three guesses, okay?

Was it Martin Luther King, as he fought a mere 40 years ago for the human rights of the black population in the USA?
Was it one of the detainees in Guantanamo Bay, who are held prisoners by the US in contravention of any internationally accepted law or human right?
Or was it one the prisoners in Bagram Airbase or Abu Ghraib prison, just before they died being tortured by American army personnel?
Am I anywhere close? Please enlighten me!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 12:16
Komnenos- You do not know our history

We do know your history. One of the things we know that around 1800 having guns was nessecary (sp?) for Americans to defend themselves, and that the situation has changed in the past 200 years, so you don't need need them any more.

and it is an internal affair and even though you have a right to an opinion, the gun issue in the U.S. is not of your buisness.

This is an international forum, get used to it.

Beside, you have no political power to act or no say in our governmental process.

irrelevant. That doesn't make his opinion more or less valid.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kentuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 13:35

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Komnenos- You do not know our history

We do know your history. One of the things we know that around 1800 having guns was nessecary (sp?) for Americans to defend themselves, and that the situation has changed in the past 200 years, so you don't need need them any more.

so we don't need guns to defend ourselves anymore, huh?  just yesterday I was watching a news story about man who attacked with a knife in his own home... he said he was sure the man would have killed him and his family if he hadn't had his 9mm handy (shot him like 5 times in the chest).   my family also has guns close at hand in case of this problem... except its an semi-automatic shotgun we'll be using .

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 17:49
so we don't need guns to defend ourselves anymore, huh?  just yesterday I was watching a news story about man who attacked with a knife in his own home... he said he was sure the man would have killed him and his family if he hadn't had his 9mm handy (shot him like 5 times in the chest).

In that case it's still strange that the USA, were the citizens are able to defend themselves, have a higher crime rate than most European countries, where the tyrannical governments don't allow their citizens to bear arms.

Seriously, even though I'm very not authoritatian, I believe that in a modern state the government should have a violence monopoly. Mob justice is simply too dangerous.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>