Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basil II's campaigns in Syria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Varangian View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Varangian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basil II's campaigns in Syria
    Posted: 22-Nov-2014 at 16:49
Since I am new here, I will try to keep this fairly simple. Despite all the research I have done in secondary and primary sources, I find that the overwhelming amount of things I have read regarding Basil II's military campaigns, deal with his  conquest of Bulgaria for which he is most famous. But things are thin on the ground when it comes to his dealings with the Fatimids, in particular his expedition from Armenia in 999 where he besieged Emesa and spent three months in Syria, before heading back to Constantinople. I remember reading a contemporary quote wherein the inhabitants of Emesa fled to the nearby Monastery of Constantine and the Russians (Varangian mercenaries from the 989 debacle most likely) set fire to it and looted it of lead and copper.  I can't remember for the life  of me where I read this quote. Furthermore, what do you suppose the local attitudes would have been at this time? Were the average Syrians grateful for the Byzantine  "peace keeping" or as was often the case, did they just get their farms and goods trampled underfoot by soldiers unconcerned by what their allegiances were? It is difficult enough to gauge the political temperature in this part of the world now, how much more so a millennium ago! Would Byzantines living in Syria in the time, been at all likely to be victims retaliation and violence at the hands of angry Fatimid?  If anyone has any wisdom to impart or point out things I am missing, I would  be very grateful.
A general should never have to say 'I did not expect it.' ~ Strategikon
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2014 at 05:10
I hope he is burning in hell right now for his atrocities...
My website
My history website
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language." - Robert E. Lee
Varangian View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Varangian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2014 at 11:04
Understandable, given the circumstances of the time, but not the helpful inforation I was looking for. Smile I have juat begun writing the second book in a historical fiction trilogy set during these events.
A general should never have to say 'I did not expect it.' ~ Strategikon
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2014 at 16:05
''Furthermore, what do you suppose the local attitudes would have been at this time? Were the average Syrians grateful for the Byzantine "peace keeping" or as was often the case, did they just get their farms and goods trampled underfoot by soldiers unconcerned by what their allegiances were?''

The most likely answer to the question is quite simple. And is found in your adjective-use of the word 'average'. Historically, the records, from varying sources and places, as identified by many scholars, ancient and modern. Was that the average man, certainly involved in husbandry, not connected to or involved in the geopolitical machinations of the state. Considered it to be generally negative.

The only exception was possibly tradesman of general and specific nature who might have been able to make a profit. Cartmakers-smiths-weavers-innkeepers etc.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2015 at 10:21
Tell me something about campain on Balkans?Something about the blinded army?Or this is virtual also.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply