Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Obama's Executive Order on Emmigration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obama's Executive Order on Emmigration
    Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 18:03
What do you think? Should the illegals be pardoned and become legal?
I used to think - no, it is not fair to reward breaking the law of the country you want to be part of with getting your way...but I start thinking - if they become legal, they will have to pay taxes, like the rest of us/ From practical POV, this is something to consider.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2014 at 11:38
Only if an appropriate framework* is established. But before that a significant border security issue remains to be resolved.

Consequently recurring social shifts towards humanism in the form of immigration..while beneficial and always worthwhile... (assuming cultural assimilation)(and that itself is an important issue) takes back seat to criminal actions or conditions that led these people here in the first place.

America's security can not be dictated visa a vie a leftist interpretation of humanism nor as a means to increase votes to support their political-social agendas. The same applies to the center and the right.

And finally I am not satisfied that taxes gained... offset social welfare expenditures...especially initially... that are being levied against the American taxpayers for criminal actors.

* and by this I mean a 'legislative one' not a dictum that is not in keeping or interpretation with existing law...to whit an unconstitutional fiat by Obama.

If he does other than that... he has usurped the law and is in violation of his oath to enforce it.. and should be impeached... the political consequences be damned.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 18-Nov-2014 at 12:39
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2014 at 12:23
No.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2014 at 19:48
Executive orders per se may be seen as violation of the Constitution. However, they have been used high and wide in the last say 20 years. Bush son did 300, Obama did 100 or so. So, what is happening to the checks and balances then?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2014 at 21:32
What has often occurred.

A shift in balance of one of the three which historically is identified as a threat to the other two.

I'll give you an example though it has been seriously challenged and often bitterly debated.

The President has many powers enumerated but the chief of these..are

1. his authority as CoC of the Armed Forces and

2. his duty to enforce the public law-s and ensure the national security of the 'state'.

Commensurate then..is his authority as Chief Executive. And those others (powers) enumerated.

Contrary to one's beliefs...however...

he is not the best friend of the citizen body necessarily...

That historically was reserved for the Congress. Because as designed they were elected to their positions by the same...with the primary responsibility of serving the same's economic-social-business-personal welfare. Through their superior power of creating the law-s that the citizenry deemed necessary.

Out in the bushes.... were-are-the press....the '4th estate'...the 'voice' of the people. The Free Press. The watchdogs, in theory, of the three. Whose power was traditionally in voicing either the publics approbation or condemnation.

When any of these... abrogate ANY of the duties and responsibilities, as designed in the USC (or tradition and privilege in the case of the press)... the result is the aforementioned shift.

Especially if the press allows it by either ignoring the issues or denying their existence. Or by endorsing without merit or a willingness to counter the opposition's viewpoint any of the three. Especially when in reality it's an obvious bias in favor of one over the other's.

Such for example is the current case.

If you study enough contextual American history..and I'm sure you have..you will see that this latest challenge is actually nothing new.

In the end the Courts will decide....unfortunately the consequences and social disruption ntl continue.

That's why it's called republic based democracy....it was never perfect. Nor will it ever be....but it beats the shit out the various negative alternatives.

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2014 at 10:15
Congress has sat on their.........hands, for 2 years.  The Pres. to Congress, "Give me a bill and I'll sign it".  Nothing!  So he did exactly what he said he would do.  He's not the first President to do this, and won't be the last.

The parrots and bobbleheads are flocking.  And the Tea Party idiots have again shown that all they have is anger, no answers.

Both the Reps and the Dems have ignored the immigration problem for 30 years.  Laws have been passed.  They were either unenforceable, or just unenforced. 

So now you have 5-6 million undocumented folks.  Some have been here for 20+ years.  Give them a path by which they can become legal taxpaying citizens, but at the same time button down the borders, so that we are dealing only with the 5-6 million already here.

The alternative would be to send out Gestapo squads to round them up.  Right, that hasn't worked yet, and wouldn't work now.

t

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2014 at 10:45
The correct estimate is 15 - 20 million.

Furthermore, entering any nation illegally is a crime under both Federal law and international law.  How can someone become a citizen by breaking the laws of the very nation they sneak into?  And who sorts out the criminals,the narcos and the rest of the undesirable elements?

No amnesty, period.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2014 at 12:45
Estimate the contribution of every emmigrant as tax payer people!China is still your competition cause of numbers.Period.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2014 at 13:29
Originally posted by medenaywe

Estimate the contribution of every emmigrant as tax payer people!China is still your competition cause of numbers.Period.

Many of them do not pay taxes - in fact, they get refund checks.

These are the working poor who qualify for every Federal assistance plan Obie has, including  income tax credit to minimum earners.  They cost legitimate taxpayers a fortune in school, medical, food stamp and all other programs for the working poor, and they drive up the costs of all forms of insurance for the legal citizens of America.

As for China, that is a strawman argument that has no place  in this discussion concerning the issue of illegals violating national sovereignty by sneaking into America and bringing crime, corruption, human trafficking and narcotics along with them. 

Do you know what the penalty is for those who enter Mexico illegally?  Prison.

If you like this type of thing so much, take them into your nation and give them a free ride.  Disapprove

Edited by Mountain Man - 24-Nov-2014 at 13:38
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2014 at 13:36
Originally posted by red clay

Congress has sat on their.........hands, for 2 years.  The Pres. to Congress, "Give me a bill and I'll sign it".  Nothing!  So he did exactly what he said he would do.  He's not the first President to do this, and won't be the last.

The parrots and bobbleheads are flocking.  And the Tea Party idiots have again shown that all they have is anger, no answers.

Both the Reps and the Dems have ignored the immigration problem for 30 years.  Laws have been passed.  They were either unenforceable, or just unenforced. 

So now you have 5-6 million undocumented folks.  Some have been here for 20+ years.  Give them a path by which they can become legal taxpaying citizens, but at the same time button down the borders, so that we are dealing only with the 5-6 million already here.

The alternative would be to send out Gestapo squads to round them up.  Right, that hasn't worked yet, and wouldn't work now.

1.  The Republicans did not, in fact "ignore" the illegals.  The Democrats have been in charge until the recent upset, and they chose not to act on the issue.

2. I would suggest you throughly review Obama'a public statements concerning this issue before proceeding.  He is on record repeatedly as saying that he does not have the authority to change this issue unilaterally, nor is it a good idea.  He has "asked for plans" repeatedly, and then refused to act on anything he has been given.  Now, after suffering a political upset of unprecedented size for an incumbent president, he has turned to the illegals looking for votes.

Legal Hispanics themselves are opposed to this action, and that sums it up in toto.

Furthermore, the president is sworn to uphold all of the laws of the nation; therefore, this is an impeachable offense.

t

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2014 at 18:09
Btw...as noted, while I agree with a solution...post border enhancement. Deferral from deportation is a quasi amnesty..in that the appropriate corrective action ie. prosecution in either criminal or deportation form...is not being made.

Congress has been lapse but the most recent straw that it's their problem entirely is incorrect. Lack of Presidential emphasis during the Obammites two years of party congressional hegemony is also in the mix.

That was for base politics then...it's the same now.

The difference being that the 'scope' of his recent action is far beyond that of his predecessors. With no credible evidence he will not continue to ignore the law for the last two years of his fiasco administration.

The fact that he refused in his first six years to act is the reason behind the impasse as viewed by his opposition.

And whether the liberal likes or not... accepts it or not...there is ntl merit in that position.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 24-Nov-2014 at 21:18

S. T. Friedman

Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2014 at 07:54
Along with increased border security, they could enforce the already-existing laws requiring employers to only hire citizens, or those immigrants legally entitled to work in the U.S.A. They could also tighten up the citizenship requirements for obtaining public assistance/welfare, school-enrollment, drivers' licinses, etc. I believe that would stem the flow of illegal immigrants.

Social-service agencies would oppose this. But the biggest opposition would come from the wealthy business-interests that keep wages low by employing immigrants (both legal and illegal). Without this cheap labor-source, they'd have to pay decent wages (maybe $30,000 annually) to Americans, who'd then do the drudgery jobs filled by immigrants. Employers will raise prices in order to compensate for this. They'll create a lot of publicity about this, and try to scare the public. But even with raised prices, the longterm beneficiaries would be working-class Americans, who'd have decent-paying jobs.

The problem is that business-interests, by their financial campaign contributions, control the politicians (both Democrats & Republicans), so nothing ever gets done.

Edited by Windemere - 25-Nov-2014 at 08:01
Windemere
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2014 at 20:15
While I agree with MM that is morally wrong to basically reward illegal behavior by granting what they try to obtain in illegal way, those illegal guys won't just vanish into thin air, and somehow the government have to deal with them. It is practically impossible to secure the border, this never works, it didn't work for the communist countries to keep their citizens in either.

And yes, W., there are business interests involved, that is I believe the most important reason why the illegals are here, not some humanitarian reasons. The latter tend to be used as an apology for moneyed interests, which are the real power anyway. However, the illegal emigrants work mostly jobs which American citizens don't want to, that is why there is a niche there. I doubt very much that if by some miracle all of a sudden all Hispanic day laborers vanish their jobs they vacate will be attractive enough for Americans to take them. I watched a video of that , "Farmsville", in which a small entrepreneur complained that he cannot find workers, some young kids tried but lacked work ethics etc, so he prefers to hire illegals who get the job done. Now, if there was a law that whoever hires illegals have to pay their health insurance, and US-appropriate wages maybe things would come out different.

I have never been interested in civics, Centrix, so it is an kind of unclear area for me. The American National Politics class I am about to get done with kinda killed what was left of my illusions about justice on a grand scale, and I probably will end up quite disillusioned. The power of the executive branch has been growing over the years, getting a little bit stronger with every war, declared of not, as implied executive powers become more and more stretched. Yes, Obama's executive decisions are not anything new, and that is what is scary. There is a stable tendency here, not say, some character fault or human mistake.

Edited by Don Quixote - 26-Nov-2014 at 20:29
nathan713 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote nathan713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2015 at 03:51
I don't know about this... is this actually feasible? My BS meter is off the chart... I don't think this is possible. Screw humanitarian reasons; it's a bureaucratic nightmare, and most illegal immigrants are poor so if they become citizens... their social benefits would dwarf the additional income tax.

I don't see a political will in the USA, and it's so much easier to just keep the status quo. One problem at the time. If it doesn't need immediate fixing, don't touch it.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2015 at 18:23
It's already a "B" nightmare with free zome states and those who will not comply with the existing law...ie. the Obama administration. For this alone he is impeachable.

BTW...Marúawe.

Hope to see more of u. But if not and your merely a spammer in disguise I'll get ya. My apologies if ya not.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply