Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Darts, used in battle ! What were they?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darts, used in battle ! What were they?
    Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 17:41
I've looked in several places, can't find anything.  I did find out that many darts were 2 piece.  A "foreshaft" which was usually 20-24 inches and made of hardwood.  This was hafted into a hollow cane shaft.  The cane shaft would have been "fletched" or feathered.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 18:43
Then, it seems, you have found what I have found, except for the "compound?" "Dart!", a feature I have never ascertained.

Of course "fletched" shafts were used until the era of "full metal Bolts!"

Can you now agree that this question is still under consideration?

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2014 at 09:35
Only until I find what I was looking for.Big smile 

On someone hitting themselves in the head with a short shafted dart, I believe that could be called a "Darwinian Adjustment".

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 17:19
Originally posted by toyomotor

From what I've read over the years, I believe that the word "Dart" was used for a short throwing spear, as opposed to the longer, heavier spear which was used to jab opponents.

Then would not that weapon be better described as a javelin?

But the word "dart" means sometimes as "quick" or "fast" etc. The speed of a Javelin could not be much greater than that of a spear, but the speed of a "dart" it seems would be much greater even must greater than that of a leveraged spear or javelin!

Thus, a solid metal "bolt" from a "crossbow", would effectively be the first "bullet!"

Can anyone deny this?

I will posit that after the small arrow (a Dart), fired from a crossbow, developed into a solid steel "bolt" that the terms/words to describe the projectile changed. It is probably only a translation problem, I.e. the distortion of time by chronologists and historians created a "void" that could not effectively be crossed, and that was related to word usage.

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 03-Feb-2014 at 17:31
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 20:01
Originally posted by opuslola

From what I've read over the years, I believe that the word "Dart" was used for a short throwing spear, as opposed to the longer, heavier spear which was used to jab opponents.

But the word "dart" means sometimes as "quick" or "fast" etc. The speed of a Javelin could not be much greater than that of a spear, but the speed of a "dart" it seems would be much greater even must greater than that of a leveraged spear or javelin!

Thus, a solid metal "bolt" from a "crossbow", would effectively be the first "bullet!"

Can anyone deny this?

I will posit that after the small arrow (a Dart), fired from a crossbow, developed into a solid steel "bolt" that the terms/words to describe the projectile changed. It is probably only a translation problem, I.e. the distortion of time by chronologists and historians created a "void" that could not effectively be crossed, and that was related to word usage.

Ron

It was smaller than a Javelin.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 21:41

Can anyone deny this?

Ron

It was smaller than a Javelin.

I agree, it just had to be smaller, thus a dart!

Za vas! Ron
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 01:36
Ron: 
You wrote "Whilst I am probably part Native American on both sides of my family."

Does that mean your parents are related?

You are from Mississippi aren't you?Wink

Edited by toyomotor - 05-Feb-2014 at 01:37
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 08:36

Ron: 
You wrote "Whilst I am probably part Native American on both sides of my family."

Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileLOLLOLBig smile
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 11:36
Do you say "Look the window out?" or "Paint the house Red?" smile

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 05-Feb-2014 at 11:37
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 20:06

Do you say "Look the window out?" or "Paint the house Red?" smile

Ron
Just asking. My parents were related by marriage-theirs!Tongue
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 18:49
Yes, the almost lost; Dutch-English accent! Smile!

Actually the correct phrase should have been "Red up the house!", meaning clean it! Smile!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 18:53

Ron: 

Actually the last name "Garrett" was carried by both of my Grand Mothers! But, I am sure they were at least fourth cousins or more!
Smile! But, I see no reason you should use such innuendo as a disparaging remark. I know though that you meant no harm!

Prosit, Ron

Edited by opuslola - 06-Feb-2014 at 18:54
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 20:12
I think the conversation about Darts has come to a standstill.

How about we put it to bed.

Na Zdorovie!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 20:33
Well then my friend Ian, then I would suppose that you will concede that I have beaten you? Laugh!

But, you should work on your Russian, or perhaps you know Polish better?

Za tvoyo zdorovie   Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12