Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vedic Calendar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vedic Calendar
    Posted: 09-Nov-2013 at 11:22
Posted this on another thread.  Hoping to get a better response here.  If I'm correct the Sumerians and the Zoroastrians divided the year up into 12 months of 30 days.  Did the Vedic calendar also divide the year up into 12 months of 30 days or was theirs an alternating 29 or 30 day month?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2013 at 09:26
Mojo, I tried to figure it out using Wiki.  Maybe that was my mistake.  But what I was to draw from what they had was, that, in the Vedic there are 27 days in a month.  Then they get into lost months and extra months and I got totally confused and said "bag it". 

There are others here more familiar with the Vedas.  But sometimes it's not what you post, but how you post it.

If the title was- "The Vedic Calendar is all wrong" and then the post started with- "And the product of Hindu Extremists"  You would get a ton of responses.Big smile 
None of that is true, but out of it you will get a full explanation of the Vedic calendar.  And a bunch of other stuff.LOL

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
aptil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote aptil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2014 at 10:56
As far as i know the vedic calendar is dependent on moon . The month starts with every new moon .
There is an adhik month (extra month ) some times . I don't know much about the adhik month but i know it is there and it comes once in a while .
 Post Reply Post Reply