Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The military genius of Frederick the Great

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Salah ad-Din View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Salah ad-Din Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The military genius of Frederick the Great
    Posted: 01-Jun-2013 at 15:31
Just finished watching this documentary:

I've heard of the battles of Rossbach and Leuthen before, but never really studied them until today. One of my books describes the latter battle as 'a masterpiece of movement, maneuver, and resolve', while the documentary above suggests that Frederick first displayed military brilliance in the Rossbach campaign - yet it also goes on to say that he lost eight of the sixteen battles he fought during the Seven Years War.

Does Frederick deserve the reputation of a military genius?
Maddison View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Maddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2014 at 17:27
Originally posted by Salah ad-Din

I've heard of the battles of Rossbach and Leuthen before, but never really studied them until today. One of my books describes the latter battle as 'a masterpiece of movement, maneuver, and resolve', while the documentary above suggests that Frederick first displayed military brilliance in the Rossbach campaign - yet it also goes on to say that he lost eight of the sixteen battles he fought during the Seven Years War.

I have my own question marks concerning the military greatness of Frederick.   Most of the time he seems to have been up against an Austrian commander who IMHO should not have been allowed anywhere near a battlefield . 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Charles_Alexander_of_Lorraine
Denial isn't just a river in Africa
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2014 at 17:47
Originally posted by Salah ad-Din

Frederick lost the battle of Kolin, 35000 Prussians against 54000 Austrians and at Hochkirch, with 30000 Prussians against 78000 Austrians and the battle at Kunersdorf, with 49000 Prussians against 79000 Russians and imperials. His victories were mostly fought with inferior troops. Only at Prague and Torgau he had a few thousand soldiers more than his enemies, but mostly his enemies had a superiority of more than 2:1
Maddison View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Maddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2014 at 11:20
King Frederick certainly roughed up the Austrians on any number of occasions and proved himself a gifted commander the only problem i have is that the were all too often commanded by Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine who skill in battle leaves much to be desired his record of fought 8 lost 7 won 1 does not inspire great confidence. Indeed when Daun took over command Frederick had a much tougher job to beat him. 
Denial isn't just a river in Africa
 Post Reply Post Reply