Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dingling racial origin of Kypchak is confusing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrButlerKing View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrButlerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dingling racial origin of Kypchak is confusing
    Posted: 29-Apr-2013 at 00:41
Something here I don't understand. Dingling were ancestors of Kypchaks.

Caucasian origin
---------------------------

" Many researchers also believe that Kipchaks were blond and blue-eyed, descended from the Dingling, who lived in the steppes of Southern Siberia in the end of the 1st millennium BC, and who were, according to the Chinese chroniclers, blonds. "

Mongoloid origin
-----------------------------

" The Dingling were a warlike group of hunters, fishers, and gatherers of the southern Siberian mountain taiga region from Lake Baikal to northern Mongolia. Chinese records do not mention the physical appearance of the Dingling, suggesting general homogeneity with people of the Asiatic region, and their name appears rarely.[4][5][6] "

Kypchaks.

" Anthropologist SA Pletnev studied a group of burials of Kipchaks in Volga region and found them to be hybrid race of Caucasoid with some admixture of Mongoloid, with physical characteristics such as flat face and distinctly protruding nose "

What exactly did they mean by blond, homogeneity with Asiatic, Southern Siberia?
Where they supposed to be something like this?

Samurai
Samurai

Banned

Quote MrButlerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2013 at 13:24
Samurai
Samurai

Banned

Quote MrButlerKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2013 at 13:25

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2013 at 13:32
Originally posted by MrButlerKing

<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">Something here I don't understand. </span><span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">Dingling were ancestors of Kypchaks.</span>
<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">

</span>
<span style="line-height: 19.1875px;">*red color edited*</span>
<span style="line-height: 19.1875px;">---------------------------</span>
<b style="color: rgb255, 0, 0; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;"> 
<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">" Many researchers also believe that Kipchaks were blond and blue-eyed, descended from the </span>Dingling<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">, who lived in the steppes of Southern Siberia in the end of the 1st millennium BC, and who were, according to the Chinese chroniclers, blonds. "</span>
<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 19.1875px;">*red color edited*</span>
<span style="line-height: 19.1875px;">-----------------------------</span>
<span style="line-height: 19.1875px;"></span>
<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">" The Dingling were a warlike group of hunters, fishers, and gatherers of the southern Siberian mountain taiga region from Lake Baikal to northern </span>Mongolia<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">. Chinese records do not mention the physical appearance of the Dingling, suggesting general homogeneity with people of the Asiatic region, and their name appears rarely.</span><sup id="cite_ref-4" ="reference" style="line-height: 1em; font-family: sans-serif;">[4"><sup id="cite_ref-5" ="reference" style="line-height: 1em; font-family: sans-serif;">[5"><sup id="cite_ref-6" ="reference" style="line-height: 1em; font-family: sans-serif;">[6"> "
<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;"></span>
<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">
Kypchaks.
" Anthropologist SA Pletnev studied a group of burials of Kipchaks in Volga region and found them to be hybrid race of Caucasoid with some admixture of Mongoloid, with physical characteristics such as flat face and distinctly protruding nose "
</span>
<font face="sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 19.1875px;">What exactly did they mean by blond, homogeneity with Asiatic, Southern Siberia?</span>
<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.1875px;">Where they supposed to be something like this?</span>

Red is reserved for staff use only. You know this. Do it again and your on the bench. The staff apologizes for the glitch in quoting. It's being worked on.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 29-Apr-2013 at 13:35
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2013 at 22:33
Hmmm, based on my readings of these two Wikipedia articles, the connection between the Dingling and the Kipchaks is an oversimplification.    There are intermediate rearrangements of alliances, vassalages, and confederations, as well as changes of name.    It may be that it is the name which eventualy gets transferred from the original group to the next.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2013 at 18:58
Looks like a mixture of Slav and Mongoloid, probably originally from  central Russia.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 11:41
I recall reading somewhere that the Digling where Huns...and there is a debate whether the Huns were Caucasians, or not /I really dislike those debates about race, but it seems that there is no way around them/.

Edited by Don Quixote - 30-May-2013 at 12:08
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 22:17
Based on translated texts I've seen, the Dingling were distinct from the Huns.   They lived to the north of the Huns and the Huns subjugated them, along with other groups called Hun-yü, Ch'ü-she, Ko-k'un, and Hsin-li, which also lived in the north.  Perhaps they were "Hunnic" (i.e. of the same culture and/or language family, or if not linguistically related, perhaps of the same ethnicity.)   What is missing is a physical description of them.   For us, they are merely names.   Whatever we conclude, it would merely be by inference, not by anything solid.   They being located north of the Huns (i.e. north of Mongolia) would probably put them among east Asian populations.   Again, merely an inference.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 04:36
Thank you, Sharrukin, this was an important remark.
Anyway, I see the Huns as loose union of slightly diverse people, /like the Thracians or the Celts/;may be it's better to say a "Hunnic cultural continuum", because using one specific name Huns infers that this was one clearly cut ethnicity and may be a source of confusion. So Hunnic works for me better than Huns.
 Post Reply Post Reply