Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Orcs and Goblins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orcs and Goblins
    Posted: 25-Apr-2013 at 19:31
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Richard_vs_saladin.jpg
Tolkein's books portray the Orcs as a barbaric slave race bred for war, analagous to medieval Christian perceptions of the Turks or Mongols. They speak a language known as the Black Speech which makes heavy use of the letters U and G. Orc or Uruk sounds very similar both to an ancient Middle Eastern city, and to the Yoruk people of Anatolia. The goblins' portrayal in the movies seems to draw heavily upon medieval depictions of Muslims like Saladin (see above). The white city of Gondor: a perpetually besieged remnant of a great empire, seems to be based upon Byzantium.

Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2013 at 19:46
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll371/kgc1960/TurkishArmor.jpg
Professor T describes the Orcs as carrying scimitars and round shields. Their armor is blackened and comprises a conical helm and chainmail hauberk
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2013 at 05:55
Originally posted by Nick1986

Tolkein's books portray the Orcs as a barbaric slave race bred for war, analagous to medieval Christian perceptions of the Turks or Mongols. They speak a language known as the Black Speech which makes heavy use of the letters U and G. Orc or Uruk sounds very similar both to an ancient Middle Eastern city, and to the Yoruk people of Anatolia. The goblins' portrayal in the movies seems to draw heavily upon medieval depictions of Muslims like Saladin (see above). The white city of Gondor: a perpetually besieged remnant of a great empire, seems to be based upon Byzantium.

That's why Tolkien was accused to be racist.

I don't get the connection Black Speech and U&G letters. If letter F were used more, would it be white speech? Big smile

Yes, Uruk is Sumerian city and yoruk and uruk's sounds are really similar, but Orc? It is Roman

"The word ultimately comes from Latin Orcus, the demonic Roman god of death, who should not to be confused with Pluto, the god of the underworld, and has transformed by several stages from the meanings 'underworld', 'hell', 'devil', 'evil creature' to 'ogre'. Tolkien and the lexicons he used attributed the origin of the doubtful Old English orc to 'Orcus' and in one of his invented languages, the word for orc also had the form orco."

I have read some thing about Byzantium/Cons. in Gondor. However, it was not Minas Tirth. Orc was still Turk and Byzantium was Osgiliath, the city which is previous capital of Gondor and became ruin after Orc-Turk occupation.

Europe map, but mordor is in north balkans

Also you can also find master white race theory

Pale skined Elves                                               Black Skined Uruks

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply