Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Books on Daily Life in 16th c Ottoman Empire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kalisti View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kalisti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books on Daily Life in 16th c Ottoman Empire
    Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 21:30
Hi,

I'm working on a story where a brief part is set in Algiers and parts of the Mediterranean from the mid-15th to mid-16th centuries. I've found a fair amount of resources online (and a couple of books) on the history, expansion, and military figures from the era.

What I'm lacking is more details of daily life – dining customs, intermixes of language (especially in Algiers), trade relations, feelings towards other races/relgions, sexual relations, etc.

I've tried to find a book that might go into some of this a bit more, but so far have come up short. I feel like at some point someone must have written some things that overlap this area (at least academically), and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

As a side-note – I know the Ottoman's didn't expand to the New World, but I'm wondering if merchants within the Empire accompanied any mainstream expeditions, or if the Empire utilized third party mercenaries at all to explore their interests overseas.

Thanks so much!
kalisti View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kalisti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 21:32
To elaborate on my sidenote – my real question is: if I were living in Algiers in the mid-16th century and wanted to get to South America, would there be a feasible route for me to do so?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 21:42
Your character may have joined the crew of a slave ship and sailed to the New World to sell Africans to the Spanish, Dutch and English. Alternatively, he could become a pirate like the historical Jack Sparrow and intercept Spanish treasure ships returning with holds full of looted gold
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
kalisti View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kalisti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 21:44
Ah, thank you. I wasn't aware the slave trade was active in Algiers this early – I thought it came in the later Barbary period. I will look into this as a possible solution.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2013 at 03:07
as far as i know they attack Denmark Norway Iceland  Ireland Sweden  and Virginia so they arrive in america for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Navy

yomud are free people
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2013 at 03:15
Originally posted by kalisti

To elaborate on my sidenote – my real question is: if I were living in Algiers in the mid-16th century and wanted to get to South America, would there be a feasible route for me to do so?

no u cant there is no route for u to go there . ottoman was at war with europe  only raiding ships could go to scandinavia and north America i think it's was't like european country "ship for every one " only some crew !
yomud are free people
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 07:44
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply