Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who were the people of Mehrgarh?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who were the people of Mehrgarh?
    Posted: 16-Feb-2013 at 13:23

Mehrgarh Balochistan is the a 9000 year old city, in western pakistan, who were the people of this civilization?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrgarh

Edited by balochii - 16-Feb-2013 at 13:24
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 01:49
Originally posted by balochii

Mehrgarh Balochistan is the a 9000 year old city, in western pakistan, who were the people of this civilization?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrgarh

They were the first to start agriculture prior to iVC.

Those days the area was more watered and fertile as was Sind.

Their descend3nts probably populated the IVC.

From what I remember there are neolithic and chalcolithic stages in the civilization and pre and proto harappan stages
Venky
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2013 at 10:41

Elamo-Dravidians ?? that is the closest guess till now I believe.

Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by oxydracae

Elamo-Dravidians ?? that is the closest guess till now I believe.

I personally dont believe in Dravidians in IVC. The language is probably unknown. Elamite relation is possible but unlikely. Some Balochi languages similarity to Tamil and Munda might be later influences in more recent past. Tamil Nadu was a primitive megalithic culture till 200 BC and unlikely to be related to IVC. Linguistic evidences not withstanding.

Seems more like wishful thinking by Tamilians to me, trying to push back tamil culture to remote past as a reaction against Brahminism.

Any remnant of IVC culture is more likely in North India and not in its language at all which are all derived from Sanskrit.

Edited by Venkytalks - 04-Mar-2013 at 10:44
Venky
 Post Reply Post Reply