Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Balochistan its history and people

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balochistan its history and people
    Posted: 16-Feb-2013 at 01:48
I know little about these people. 

But since we are going into quite a bit of detailed analysis of the people of Pakistan, it is better to keep a separate thread to prevent confusion.

From what little I know, Balochistan is arid, undulating, thinly populated but still in the many millions, maybe 15 million people. We mostly hear about them when they blow up some gas pipelines in the region, or the Iranian part of the Baluchi population is persecuted or when Pakistan explodes nuclear weapons in the region.

Recently the opening of the Gawadhar Chinese naval base in the region has grabbed a lot of Indian eyeballs.

4000 years ago the place was probably much less arid and was the cradle of early agriculture in the pre and proto -Harappan phase. The Chalcolithic community of Mehrgarh is of course the most famous of these.

Would welcome some information on what these people are currently like and what has been their history in the intervening 4000 years :-)

Venky
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2013 at 13:13
Genetically Baloch are a west asian people, I personally think many of them are a recent migrant from NW Iran. Though balochistan is very diverse, it depends which groups of people you are talking about
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 01:51
Originally posted by balochii

Genetically Baloch are a west asian people, I personally think many of them are a recent migrant from NW Iran. Though balochistan is very diverse, it depends which groups of people you are talking about

Which are the different groups in Balochistan?

Pakhtun refugees are a big chunk in Quetta I heard.
Venky
 Post Reply Post Reply