Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why FYROM should not be called "Macedonia"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why FYROM should not be called "Macedonia"
    Posted: 09-May-2005 at 10:30
Isn't the term Macedonian language purely political, as it is in some cases classified as a mere dialect of Bulgarian?
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 10:58

Originally posted by vulkan02

Well you said it.. the Kurds have never had a country meanwhile the Slavic Macedonians do. I doubt Greece will ever recognize them but then again its what the EU and the USA say about that truly counts.

The Slavs who were living in the geographical area that was a part of Yugoslavia , did NOT have either a country . They were citizens of the region named Republic of Macedonia , a part of the Yugoslavian state...So this is why is named FYROM now ( Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia )..

As far as i know ...EU has decided to accept the outcome of the negotiations and it is still calling this country officialy as FYROM....Besides last i heard was that the American negotiator mr. Nimits , proposed as a name the " Republic of Makegonije-Skopje "...without translation....

So , as the time of ur request to join EU sometime in the future , comes soon .... u will have to make ur choise....Think well .... think twice and above all think wisely....One way or the other ur little nation does not have a bright future due to internal problems...

Isk.

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 11:01

It's not classified. It is Bulgarian dialect.

Bulgaria has three parts - Mizya /North Bulgaria + Dobrudja/, Trakiya /Thrace/ and Makedoniya /Macedonia/. They have local dialects, but except the Macedonians /who living at Macedonia/ all they recognized them as Bulgarians. BTW just one fact - the last months of the 2004 about 20 000 Macedonians requested and recieved Bulgarian citizenship after they've answered on questions like "do you consider yourself for bulgarian citizen". To recieve Bulgarian citizenship they also must prove their bulgarian origin

Everybody listen only this which understands.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 11:27

Originally posted by Kuu-ukko

Isn't the term Macedonian language purely political, as it is in some cases classified as a mere dialect of Bulgarian?

Well, you know what they say: "a language is a dialect with an army and a flag"

Read more on this interesting topic: http://www.terralingua.org/Definitions/DLangDialect.html

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 12:18
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Turkish/Ottoman identity was/is determined by language (Turkish), religion (muslim) and culture. Not by genetic descent, although the Turkish nation-state half-heartedly attempts to do this. Mehmed the Conqueror was not a Bulgarian. Nor were any of the Ottoman Emperors were anything other than Ottoman/Turkish.    

If you'd called him a 'Turk', he would have killed you, though. This is because for the Ottomans 'Turk' meant 'Turcoman', who are shiite/ alewite nomads, not sunni-sedantary.

No, the Turkish identity was determined by ancestry, only fatherside, and his father etc. It is like Jews descending from their mother sides. But you are right that unfortunately, Ottomans denied their identities and tried to be "caesars". And they didnt like us (Turkmens) at all. We were just human sources left starving, who were always tried to be settled, so rebelled lots of times.

Edited by Oguzoglu
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 13:31
Originally posted by Phallanx

Take the UK for example.  Nearly everyone can speak English but the country is named Britain after the Brythonic Celts who used to live in most of the mainland.

Your argument may be correct but since you mentioned the UK, but have you given any though or done a search on the reason for this land to be recognized internationally as UK and NOT Britain?????

Well i think its you who has to do the research.  Both the UK and Britain are short for the official name of the country which is neither UK or Britain but the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  Hence the UK or Britain for short. 
But that doesnt change anything Its still called britain which is still derived from the Brythonic Celts.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 13:34

Last time I checked Kurds had no independent state anywhere. When they have one they should call it whatever they want. Kurdistan, Kurdish Disneyland, Litte Texas, all are fine and dandy...

By the way, the story that UK is called UK because de Gaulle was worried about Bretagne was ridiculous. Great Britain is the name of the island, UK is the political union with the island of GB and Northern Ireland. Besides France and Britain don't have paranoid delusions unlike the Balkan nations.

No, the Turkish identity was determined by ancestry, only fatherside, and his father etc. It is like Jews descending from their mother sides. But you are right that unfortunately, Ottomans denied their identities and tried to be "caesars". And they didnt like us (Turkmens) at all. We were just human sources left starving, who were always tried to be settled, so rebelled lots of times.

This is why I mentioned how Turkish identity is determined. Not because I am offended by what some people think about Mehmed II. Because some Turks here have ethnic purity fantasies.

So according to Oguzoglu, the Ottomans were not our ancestors, majority of the people in Turkey today (who are not shiite or Turkmen), plus historical figures such as Sinan the Architect, Barbarossa, countless artists (including Nazim Hikmet- the most important, whose grandfather was a Polish convert), scientists, and even Ataturk were not Turks... I find this denial of roots and history pathetic and shameful. All because they've adopted European ideas of nation-state. Luckily most people in Turkey know where their roots lie.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 14:02

This is why I mentioned how Turkish identity is determined. Not because I am offended by what some people think about Mehmed II. Because some Turks here have ethnic purity fantasies.

So according to Oguzoglu, the Ottomans were not our ancestors, majority of the people in Turkey today (who are not shiite or Turkmen), plus historical figures such as Sinan the Architect, Barbarossa, countless artists (including Nazim Hikmet- the most important, whose grandfather was a Polish convert), scientists, and even Ataturk were not Turks... I find this denial of roots and history pathetic and shameful. All because they've adopted European ideas of nation-state. Luckily most people in Turkey know where their roots lie.

I dont think I mentioned nor wrote anything about these in this topic, but in non-English board. I have never said anything about the majority of Turkish population being Turks or not being Turks, so you totally changed the topic.

Mimar Sinan was an Armenian, Nazm Hikmet was a Polish and Barbaros Hayrettin was a mixture, but because the term Turkish was used for the Ottomans, he was Turkish. And I've never made any comments about Ataturk, and I wont talk about this topic in an international forum. Also, Anatolian Turks who arent Alevis or dont belong to similar sects today were once converted to Sunnite branch, during the reign of Ottoman Empire.

So go on, dont deny your roots, as I dont, but Ottomans did once. I am a Turkmen and as there are lots of Turkmen originated people in Turkey like me. I dont deny the fact of intermixing of many Turkish people since the great immigrations to Anatolia and Ottoman reign, and I dont pretend any pure blodness non-sense, since it isnt possible for any current nation of our age. Because the term Turk was used for Ottomans and Turks settled in Anatolia, mid. East, Balkans etc., pretending all those Turks are Turkmens, Uzbek etc. would be idiotic. But I cant see the reason of a person who belongs to another nation pretending he is a Turk. So according to your mentality of being Turk has nothing to do with your ethnicity but only with your language, we arent Turks since we didnt speak the same language with the Ottomans. So a person who has nothing to do with being having Turkish ancestry is called a Turk, but we arent. Well, interesting mentality...

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 19:39
Originally posted by iskenderani

Originally posted by vulkan02

Well you said it.. the Kurds have never had a country meanwhile the Slavic Macedonians do. I doubt Greece will ever recognize them but then again its what the EU and the USA say about that truly counts.

So , as the time of ur request to join EU sometime in the future , comes soon .... u will have to make ur choise....Think well .... think twice and above all think wisely....One way or the other ur little nation does not have a bright future due to internal problems...

Isk.

im sorry you took it offensively but i didn't mean it that way. I was simply trying to distinguish between Macedonia (FYROM whatever u wanna call it)and the Kurds. At least Macedonia was a republic under Yugoslavia but Kurds are simply a different kinda people living in Turkey, Iraq etc.  My little nation controls most of what the world including Greece and the EU has to say by the way. Im an American citizen not an Albanian citizen, i was simply born there long ago. Besides the economy there had the strongest growth in the last couple of years so i dont think you could arrive at that conclusion immediately by simply pointing out our internal problems. Every nation has internal problems including USA or whatever.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 01:49

My respectful fellow Greek, don't buy the propaganda our government and "intelligentsia" sells regarding their name. Unfortunately, the situation is irreversible due to year long negligence and oblivion from the Greek governments, as well as our nation.

The future is not so bright and if you think that invoking rights and accepted facts according to general truths are a weapon of our foreign policy, I am afraid that you are deceived. We live in Greece after all and our country does not have a glorious past of political interventions and claims.

We are going to compromise in the end and the outcome will be humiliating for our pride.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 02:05
Here you can really duke it out over this topic!!
Say hi to Nikos, Tony, Stefanos and Nikas (Greeks) for me while you are there- Mkont and Pelister (FYROMites) to!!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/22270

Edited by eaglecap
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 02:36
Originally posted by Molossos

My respectful fellow Greek, don't buy the propaganda our government and "intelligentsia" sells regarding their name. Unfortunately, the situation is irreversible due to year long negligence and oblivion from the Greek governments, as well as our nation.

The future is not so bright and if you think that invoking rights and accepted facts according to general truths are a weapon of our foreign policy, I am afraid that you are deceived. We live in Greece after all and our country does not have a glorious past of political interventions and claims.

We are going to compromise in the end and the outcome will be humiliating for our pride.

thank you for understanding my message to isk... finally someone accepts something in this forum although i don't see any possible outcome that will humiliate your pride so much and elevate ours.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 21:41

1.  Recorded history refers to an ancient kingdom of Macedonia beginning in the 7th century B.C.E.

2. The name "Macedonia" was given by its people and in Greek it means "Highland".

3. Many ancient sources-historians, the Bible, the Torrah,  geographers etc. refer to Macedonia as a
   Greek kingdom. It is also mentioned by Homer and by the Historian-geographer Strabo who states:
   "Macedonia is Greece as well."

4. 0ver 5,000 excavated relics of the ancient Macedonian kingdom carry only Greek inscriptions.

5. The ancient Macedonians participated in the Olympic Games and only Greeks could do that.
   They believed in the same Gods as the rest of the Greeks. Their kingdom's coins carried Greek inscriptions only.
   The Palace floor in the ancient Macedonian capital of Pella depicts Greek deities and Greek
   mythological figures with Greek language inscriptions.

6. Mt. Olympus, home of the Greek Gods, was located in Macedonia.
    At the foot of the mountain, excavations unearthed the ancient Macedonian burial grounds with
    Greek inscriptions.

7. The Greeks were the only people in ancient time to build theaters. Four have already been found in Macedonia.

8. Apostle Paul refers to Greeks receiving him when visiting Macedonia.
    He was preaching in Greek and his epistles  were written in Greek, the language of inhabitants.

9.  Alexander the Great-king of Macedonia and leader of the united Greek city-States-disseminated
     Greek culture and civilization during his campaign against  the Persian Empire as well as in Europe,
     Africa and Asia.

10. There never was a "Macedonian language" just as there never was an "Athenian Epirotic",
     "Theban" "Boeotian" etc. All city-states of Greece the Greek language with various dialects.
      Present day Bulgaria-an idiom Of the Bulgarian language is spoken by the pseudo-Macedonians
      recognizes neither a Macedonian language nor a Macedonian ethnicity. Most of the present" day
      Slavs in the country of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (F.Y.R.O.M.) are of Bulgarian descent.

11. Demosthenes, the Athenian orator and a fanatic super patriot, never called the Macedonians "barbarians"
      only their king, Phillip, and that because he could not stomach the passing of Greek supremacy from Athens
      to Macedonia. His Athenian orator rival, Isocrates, sent a letter to King Phillip exhorting and imploring him
      to unite all Greeks and seeking vengeance to lead them against Persia, their common enemy.

12. Ilinden, the site of an insurrection of, supposedly, all races residing in the geographic area of ancient
     Macedonia against the Ottoman Empire, was planned and instigated by the Bulgarian Government
     whose dream it was to annex all of it and gain access to the Aegean Sea. Categorical evidence of this
     the many existing reports of European ambassadors and counsels which were dispatched to their
     respective   Foreign Ministries. The pseudo-Macedonians appropriated this unsuccessful event of Ilinden
     most of the victims were Greek-from the Bulgarians and present it as their own heroic attempt to gain
     "freedom for Macedonia."

13. There never existed a country called "Macedonia" since the destruction of ancient kingdom by the Romans in 168 B.C.. Any reference to a division of "Macedonia" between Greece, Serbia and Bulgaria is a false and ludicrous statement. The geographical area of Macedonia from the advent of the Slavs in the 6th century A.D. until the First Balkan War of 1912 a period of 1500 years was populated by Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, Albanians, Jews and Gypsies and since the 14th century A.D. by Turks as well. No census of Roman, Byzantine or Ottoman Empires refers to any "Macedonians". Hence, what  "Macedonia" was divided up?

14. Before it became Yugoslavia, the country was called "KINGDOM OF THE Serbs,
      Croats and Slovenes." No mention of Macedonians.

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Alexander of Macedon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Alexander of Macedon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 23:24

Originally posted by strategos

The Greeks were the only people in ancient time to build theaters

Macedonians  had own religion,own holy city Dion,own language,Macedonians are not Bulgarian descent we are Macedonians you know that very well if not then take the book  "The Greek Antimacedonian Strugle "  from Dimitris Litoksou where your national "hero" Pavlos Melas admit that in Aegen Macedonia as you FOPOGians call Greek MAcedonia the dominante population are the Macedonians.Interesting theory about Demosthenes.About Ilinden why the Bulgaria didn't join in the Macedonian Uprasing if it was planned by the Bulgarian Government or it was something else (read the book from Dimitris Litoksou) the FOPOGian goverment had scared from the power of the macedonian komitas that why they where allies with the Turks.In the kingdom of Serbians,Croates and Slovenes Macedonians where not mentioned beacause we where asimilated by the Serbians.

Edited by Gubook Janggoon
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 23:28

Own religion?! THey used the Greek Gods! Mt Olympus, the HOME OF THE GODS, is in Macedonia! But they didn't use them as gods? What of all the references towards the hellenic gods of Alexander? Are there even any Ruins of the hellenic people in your country at all?

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 23:30
Alexander of Macedon, your comments about the Greeks in your last post was offensive and uncalled for.  You're post has been edited accordingly.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Alexander of Macedon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 23:41
Originally posted by strategos

Own religion?! THey used the Greek Gods! Mt Olympus, the HOME OF THE GODS, is in Macedonia! But they didn't use them as gods? What of all the references towards the hellenic gods of Alexander? Are there even any Ruins of the hellenic people in your country at all?

Yeah greek gods they even breating on FOPOG Air,drink FOPOG water

Have you heard for Dios Hetaireios,Gigaia,Aithria,Arotos,Zeirene,Bedy,etc they were macedonian gods

The mt.Olimp is on the border between Macedonia and FOPOG

FOPOGian ruins in Macedonia yes in Chalkidik

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 00:00

What is this map about- a pipe dream to take back territory you think belongs to your ethnic group. I notice it goes beyond Macedonia and takes in part of thrace, don't forget Eastern Thrace on the Turkish side. You have no claim to these territories and the borders are where they are at so get over it.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 09:15
Dear FYROMites,
It is one thing to dispute about a name and another to exhibit nationalistic and expansive tendencies and intentions.
Please refrain from doing so if you wish to be taken seriously, otherwise you will be receiving answers either insulting or pejorative, such as the one I personally posted in another thread.
Yes, it is true that there is increasing support in the EU and US for finally naming your country "Macedonia", but this should only make you thoughtful of the heavy cultural burden that this name brings upon your shoulders.
We, as Greeks, if it finally comes to this, will once more give away something of ours with no claim for reimbursement, but this: take good care of what you are being given.

However, until and if that day comes, we are all prepared to back up our claim through dialogue and civil argument and indeed do expect us to do so.

CARRY NOTHING
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Alexander of Macedon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 20:11

Originally posted by eaglecap

What is this map about- a pipe dream to take back territory you think belongs to your ethnic group. I notice it goes beyond Macedonia and takes in part of thrace, don't forget Eastern Thrace on the Turkish side. You have no claim to these territories and the borders are where they are at so get over it.

We don't want Thrace ,we want Ethnic Macedonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>