Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Has Been Attacked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Has Been Attacked
    Posted: 25-Dec-2012 at 13:07
First attack was denial of service by overloading our servers. 2nd was to overload Google adsense to the point that they cut us off.

All of this was preceded by hacking Yahoo accounts of active members, myself included.  Anyone who has had this happen should report it to Yahoo immediately.

This activity has been reported to the New Jersey State Police Computer Crimes unit.  They are taking this very seriously, as the possible sources have been identified as being in Iran or the Russian Rep.  Their mistake was using US isp's to get in.

The State Police have requested that I place a monetary value on the damage done.  I'm working on that now.  They apparently are confidant they can identify the culprit.  When and if they do, depending on where the crooks are, I'll register a suit to regain the estimated value and damages for my time and aggravation.  That's if they are out of the country.

If by some chance the sources for this mess are in the US, I will persue criminal charges.  Failing that, I'll go to Civil court and soak them for as much as I can get.

Any information that might shed light on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2012 at 17:42
this is not good im sure they are iranian hacker work in iranian cyber polic (fata) i didn't use and vpn or proxy what should is do now
yomud are free people
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2012 at 18:47
Similar thing also happend to Forumbiodiversty but I am not sure if is the same people or not

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php/38919-Let-s-report-the-Gaza-hacker!

I find it odd that Iran is trying hack the site, what reasons would they have to do so?

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2012 at 19:14
Because unlike other history or chat forums on the net, who take a neutral or worse; allow the presentation of anti-semitism and anti Israeli, anti-Americanism, anti-modern western cultural nationalistic vitriol to go unchecked beyond a certain point...
This site does.
It checks it. 

That is all the reason the Islamic, fascist terrorist, theocratic thugs or their closet representatives, in Iran or here, need as an excuse.

Hqs in the Field
Apache NF
Vic: Maple Peak, AZ.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2012 at 00:21
I don't know about our site but it is certainly not possible that someone from Iran has done anything about Google adsense, we don't see any Google ad in any website in Iran and this is what we see in Google website: http://www.google.com/adsense

Unable to access AdSense homepage

A connection has been established between your current IP address and a country sanctioned by the U.S. government (for more information, see http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/).

We're unable to grant you access to the AdSense homepage at this time.

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2012 at 01:01
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I don't know about our site but it is certainly not possible that someone from Iran has done anything about Google adsense, we don't see any Google ad in any website in Iran and this is what we see in Google website: http://www.google.com/adsense

Unable to access AdSense homepage

A connection has been established between your current IP address and a country sanctioned by the U.S. government (for more information, see http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/).

We're unable to grant you access to the AdSense homepage at this time.

Wishful thinking.

Not only is it possible but probable. Thru a combination of multiple routings thru proxy servers from either inside Iran or out. It is also entirely possible that those who support the oppressive regime within Iran can be hacking from another country using the same methodology be they native Iranian or other using the same methods. IP's can be falsely presented or actual depending on the proxy server and the sames ability to present and hide them.

It is also entirely possible the same is being done, by members here, who actively use the foreign language sub forums especially the Arabic or Turkish language ones. The motives and agendas are not yet determined.

But as the owner admin has advised...criminal activity for whatever reason is entirely possible. As such and in an effort to assist in the determination of such; 

I have also notified my local and state authorities to monitor this site. Especially those postings involving non-English speaking threads. For potential violations of the UN-EU-Bilateral trade sanctions
and 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(2)  and s.1030(a)(4),  and s.1030(a)(5).

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 26-Dec-2012 at 03:57

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2012 at 01:18
Question is:How to prevent future attacks?Kaspersky&Others have Anti hacking soft with good results for
personal users.I checked it couple years before.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2012 at 19:09
Red, do you think these people are responsible for shutting down our google ads?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2012 at 09:43
Originally posted by Nick1986

Red, do you think these people are responsible for shutting down our google ads?

Yes, but Google Adsense won't give us any info as to what when or who.

I also think they are the ones who have been hacking our Yahoo accounts.  Nick, your ip shows up on the list as well as mine.
Everyone should change their passwords on your mail accounts.

Edited by red clay - 27-Dec-2012 at 09:48
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2012 at 09:51
The most active of the hackers has an ip that says he's in Texas.
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2012 at 10:39
One of the most active of the users listed here is an Iranian ip.  178.252.189.218 it's registered to a co. called General Tools. They have been on AE for 400+ hours.
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2012 at 11:51
Just did. And I wasn't hacked.
Problem with hackers is they will find the tech to beat security software within days of it's creation and implementation or usage by servers and or the individual. Or it's leaked by developers to hackers for personal financial gain...promotion of agendas (Assange is just one example)...or other defined criminal activity.

The Pentagon, courtesy of PRC espionage and intelligence ops; and hack efforts, routinely change encryption data frequently. And that means in all probability daily....if not hourly.

On a chat blog or forum the only successful way to minimize the problem is restrict access and unfortunately that's usually done after the fact. Because we only have a couple of methods of determining a threat. Preemptive methods are ntl useful. And should always be considered.

Or this place will end up like the old Historic-Battles and SMQ.

Bet.

Hq's in the Field
Apache NF
Vic: Maple Peak, AZ.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 27-Dec-2012 at 12:08

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply