Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForgotten craftsmen who built Taj Mahal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forgotten craftsmen who built Taj Mahal
    Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 02:09
Originally posted by jayeshks

Originally posted by AP Singh

1. My last two posts are related to taz mahal since a comparison of the armies of the Gurjar Emperor,Mihir Bhoja Mahan who bulit the Shiva temple and the Mughal emperor Akbar, when this empire was its peak, the dynasty, which rebuilt Taz Mahal on Shiva temple was questioned by one of the forum member. The information was provided for him. Probably you may not have read the earlier posts and called it a spam.
It really was spam, almost every one of your posts finds some abstract way to reference some Gujjar person. Anyhow, it's besides the point.
2. I have seen many tombs but only one in the name of one person where the person is buried. Mumtaz Mahal was certainly not Saint Kabir Das where there was a dispute between his Hindu disciples and Muslim disciples to get control of his dead body and perform the lasts rites according to their own customs.
Yes it is supposed to be unique, that's why it's special
So there is no question of using names of Hindu Gods like OM in her memorial which can still be seen in Taz mahal.So it was a Hindu temple.
3. No, You have taken me wrong. I dont expect all Muslims and for that matter any body irrespective of the the religion, to do the same but would expect that a new memorial tomb should be built where the person is actually buried since that is actual the resting place and certainly not to use an existing structure and that too a place of worship. In no manner you can call an existing place a memorial of the person, which was built 100s of years ago before the death of the person even after its renovation/alteration.
You mean rebuilding?
4. Now you are deviating from the point. Discuss only taz mahal and not hundreds of other buildings.
5.In a new constrution the old building is completely demolished. If it is not done the structure can not be called as newly constructed structure irrespective of the volume of renovations/alterations.
Here are views of various scholars to support that it was an existing structure.

i. Prof. Marvin Miller of New York took a few samples from the riverside doorway of the Taj. Carbon dating tests revealed that the door was 300 years older than Shah Jahan.
ii. European traveler Johan Albert Mandelslo,who visited Agra in 1638 (only seven years after Mumtaz's
death), describes the life of the city in his memoirs. But he makes no reference to the Taj Mahal being built.

iii. The writings of Peter Mundy, an English visitor to Agra within a year of Mumtaz's death, also suggest the
Taj was a noteworthy building well before Shah Jahan's time.
Ok answer me this then. What part of the Taj was a Hindu temple and what part was 'renovated' as you keep implying? A couple of stories about an om here and there don't exactly explain away everything else in the structure that is so obviously Muslim.

Take one by one point. I pointed out that the Building did not belong to the Raja of Jai Pur. Raja of Jai Pur was not at all significant at the time of the battle between Babar and Rana Sanga, since the Gwalior was ruled by Tanwars, Mewat was ruled by Hasan Khan Mewati, Agra was probably under control of Delhi Sultnate, Alwar was ruled by Badgujars. Hence Agra was completely isolated from Jai Pur when this territory came under the control of Mughals.
I have provided historical evidences that the big garden and Shiva temple where Taz mahal is erected was built by Gurjar Samrat Mihir Bhoja or Bhoja the Great.Now tell me where do you have objection to this historical fact? Not only that Delhi was founded by his fuedatory, the Gujjar Tanwars, and Bhopal was also founded (as Bhoj Pal) by one of his fuedatories called Gujjar Parmars and Agra is in between the two places. Another Gujjar clan named Chadelas were ruling Kalinjar as his fuedatory and in this mannere theAgra was completely surrounded by his fuedatories. Do you feel this post is also unrelated.

Edited by AP Singh - 11-Nov-2006 at 04:04
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 14:50
It's not a historical fact.  You've given one source and it's the predictable Carlyle quote that gets repeated ad infinitum on revisionist sites.  If you're going to use their information, at least stick to their most agreed upon theory: that all examples of what we consider early Mughal and Indo-Islamic architecture are just converted temples, that North Indian construction somehow discovered the arch and the dome just in time for the arrival of the Muslim invaders but miraculously, South India which hitherto had shared many architectural elements with the North never learned this and continued building temples in the old style for centuries afterwards.  Oh and all Central Asian and Middle Eastern buildings that look like the Taj Mahal are copies of Hindu designs as well.  
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 04:18
What about the Carbon dating test done by Prof Marvin Miller of New york revealing that the part of construction was more than 300 hundred year older than Shah Jahan.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 06:01
Why does a so called mousoleum built allegedly in grief of of the dead wife resemble a palace more than a mousoleum. WHy does it have so many luxurious rooms, bathrooms etc...
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 06:36
I guess that the most probable answer will be "That is why it is unique".
Probably Shahajahan did not expect that his son Aurangjeb will put him in jail and rest of his life he has to spend only with Jahanara and need only one room. I guess that may be the reason.

Edited by AP Singh - 13-Nov-2006 at 06:56
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 17:15
Originally posted by Zagros

Get a clue, or better yet, follow my previous advice and learn Persian before trying to translate it.  I don't know what language you thought you were writing, if Dari is your "motheric" tongue, then I suggest you learn it, bacheh, the verse goes like this:

"Agar un tork e Shirazi be dast aarad dil e mara,
Ba khaal e Hinduash bakhsham Samarqand o Bukhara ra"

If that beautiful woman (turk-e-Shirazi) takes my heart in her hand,
just for her Hindu spot I will relinquish Samarqand and Bukhara...

(to show the value he placed on her by giving up Bukhara and Samarqand, two of teh most revered cities of the time, for merely for her spot)

It has NOTHING to do with Shirazis being Turks - turk-e-Shirazi here is used as an expression for a beautiful woman.  Hafez himself was a Shirazi, I have been to his mausaleam.

I just came across a better translation than mine on wikipedia.

Belle of Shiraz, grant me but love's demand,
And for your mole - that clinging grain of sand
Upon a cheek of pearl - Hafiz would give
All of Bokhara, all of Samarkand...

Except I don't know why it adds the middle part "that clinging..." because Hafez does not say this.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 04:00

I think archaeological evidences do not help Shajahan.

When I visited Taj, I could note all the points made out.

In fact, the Kutub Minar complex is nothing but a South Indian temple complex, as I could see the interior is just like that. Only, the super structure appears as Minar. The carved pillars, the geometrically placed lintels leading to Gopura like capola etc., has been typical.

Above all, the idols and sculptures strewn all around are intriguing. Now, the Ganesa idol found there has been caged i.e, put inside a iron-grilled box with lock and key! Some 15 years back, it was just lying there.

So, Whoever built the Taj, he has done an excellent work on the earth. The workers have shed their sweat and blood. Let us praise and rembember those workers, instead of arguing or fighting for their names, religion etc.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 04:43
I request Persian-knowing friends to translate into English, so that all can verify the facts, as it has bearing on the discussion:

The Badshahnama

Documentary evidence from Mogul records showing clearly how the Taj was acquired from Raja Mansingh

The Badshahnama, written by the emperor's own paid chronicler, Mullah Abdul Hamid Lahori provides evidence of the Taj's existence and was acquisitioned by Shahjahan.

The relevant passage states:
The site covered with a majestic lush garden to the south of that city and amidst which (garden) the building known as the palace manzil of Raja Mansingh,at present owned by his grandson, Raja Jaisingh, was selected for the burial of the queen

.The badshahnama shown here obtained from .National Archives , Govt of India.

.Its available from all important institutional .libraries dealing with Indian Mediaeval History.

Edited by T.SELVAM - 05-Feb-2007 at 04:47
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 07:01
Originally posted by T.SELVAM

I request Persian-knowing friends to translate into English, so that all can verify the facts, as it has bearing on the discussion:

The Badshahnama

Documentary evidence from Mogul records showing clearly how the Taj was acquired from Raja Mansingh

The Badshahnama, written by the emperor's own paid chronicler, Mullah Abdul Hamid Lahori provides evidence of the Taj's existence and was acquisitioned by Shahjahan.

The relevant passage states:
The site covered with a majestic lush garden to the south of that city and amidst which (garden) the building known as the palace manzil of Raja Mansingh,at present owned by his grandson, Raja Jaisingh, was selected for the burial of the queen

.The badshahnama shown here obtained from .National Archives , Govt of India.

.Its available from all important institutional .libraries dealing with Indian Mediaeval History.

I heard there were also some records of craftsmen who were paid money by the mughal court for services such as making tyles, engravings and floor and wall plates of the interior and exterior. Have you come across those records?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:01
Do you have a readable copy?
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 07:22

As per the the Badshahnama, written by the emperor's own paid chronicler, Mullah Abdul Hamid Lahori provided evidence of the Taj's existence and was acquisitioned by Shahjahan from Raja man Singh. 

I would like to know how  the palace, the earlier garden of Mihir Bhoja the Great, was acquired by Raja Man Singh himself or was it  gifted to his forefathers by Akbar the Great in exchange of his marriage to Jodha bai or was it won by him and from whom? As far as history of his forefathers goes, at the time of the Babars invasion, they were not even having the complete control of Jaipur from Meenas, the original rulers of the place without the help of Akbar, the ( husband of his fathers sister) of Man Singh, leave aside to take the control of Agra which is quite far away.
In case it was gifted to Man Singh by Akbar then technically the Palace at that point of time belonged to Mughals themselves.

Edited by AP Singh - 09-Feb-2007 at 07:27
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:48
In any case, Taj Mahal was there before Moghuls.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 13:17
So basically Shah Jahan took a temple or castle and put tiles and flooring on it and did a little bit of remodelling? I am surprised this has not been comprehensibly covered and reported already. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 13:54
Well he must have redeveloped and redesigned it into this magnificent building which has no precedent in Indian architecture, as far as I am aware, though plenty in Persian. Whatever was there before the Taj Mahal may as well not have been.

The twin towers that were demolished will have a new building built on top of them too.

Edited by Zagros - 12-Feb-2007 at 13:57
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:00
Is there any drawing of how it looked before it took the form of what we now know as the "Taj Mahal".

I think it was more than just a refurbishment, why did they bring in master architects all the way from the Ottomans, like the student of master architect Mimar Sinan, Isa Efendi and others?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 16:50
Has anyone got a list of all the builders and tilers and plumbers that worked on it along with a master plan? There must be records of who was paid how much and for what. I heard also that Shah Jahan almost bankrupted his treasury trying to build it. Its also possible that the mughals destroyed what it looked like after it was remodelled but so far all I hear is talk and claims what about some real facts. Are there any? For each side?

Also I heard that certain parts of the palace were sealed off permanently and the govt does not allow anyone to unseal those parts. Whats up with that?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 06:16
Irrespective of the criticism heaped on P. N. Oak, definitely, he is who, perhaps for the first time raised the issue long back.

The Govt. of India being "secular" does not evidently want one more RJB-BM type issue to crop up and hence close the rooms of Taj for the enthusiastic and as well as curious visitors (after reading Oak, Godbole etc).

In any case, as all of you are obviously puzzled by "construction" of "Taj Mahal", that too emptying treasury and started pondering over ground plan, the workers employed, the construction on the basement and so on. Thus, the root cause of the issue is why such iconophile Muslims should have been iconoclast? Yes, I am repeating the question already raised by Mr. Nachiappan earlier and for which Jayshks sarcastically responded (12-11-2006, see above), "Yeah, the muslims hated art, that's why there was never anything architectural of note built in the middle east after the Sassanians Dead"!!

The issue of psychology of violence and non-violence is involved in it.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 09:50

It is possible that materials from other buildings were used in the construction of the Taj Mahal, which would explain the carbon dating. Looking at its architectural features, the Persian influence seems very pronounced, so to me there`s no doubt when it was built. T.Selvam, the argument that iconoclast Muslims would not bother building this type of building is not only tenous, it is insulting to them. In some ways, it`s like saying that just because I don`t like a certain type of food, I won`t eat at all. Just because the muslims destroyed so many hindu temples, because of their underlying polytheism, that does not mean that they wouldn`t build other buildings, within certain rules.

Honestly, my impression of this debate is that there are some Indians who believe that the muslims brought only death, destruction and regression to India. Thus, it is important for them to negate any important cultural contributions that the Muslims may have brought. Especially the Taj Mahal, virtually the icon of India in international eyes...

Edited by Decebal - 13-Feb-2007 at 09:53
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 13:08
Is anyone at all interested in presenting FACTS rather than arrogant emotional outbursts? This should not be too hard to figure out if all the facts are laid out.  So far it seems to me that a great deal of the Taj Mahal, including its actual foundations must have been built by someone prior to Shah Jahan. Also obviously there are some solid records of craftsmen retiling and remodelling[at the very least] the Taj Mahal to a more persian and ottoman flavor but since Shah Jahan was the ruler...surely he would not have "lost" all the records if he had built it from scratch so they must be around somewhere right?

Or maybe everyone wants to speculate for the next 10 pages because its more fun?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 17:17
Any other examples of pre-Moghul domes like that in India or anywhere else? I have never heard f nor seen such a thing.

Jamkaran Masjed, Iran.

Edited by Zagros - 13-Feb-2007 at 17:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>