Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForgotten craftsmen who built Taj Mahal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forgotten craftsmen who built Taj Mahal
    Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 15:37

The dome was built by Ismail Khan, an Ottoman Turk, it does not resemble Roman domes at all, they look pretty original the closest domes they resemble in my opinion are Volga Tatar Domes for example in Kazan which was later reproduced in Moscow.

Edited by Bulldog - 04-Nov-2006 at 15:40
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

mard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 22:57
i still can't beleive some people claim taj mahal is a hindu temple.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 11:33
Originally posted by Zagros

Everything you stated makes absolute sense and it is almost certain to be true. However, I have to disagree on one point, these domes bear no resemblence to Byzantine and Roman domes, other than that they are domes.  They are a different innovation. Their method of construction is different I don't believe that they used cement int eh same way to support the trscture, and the insides of these domes are honeycombed to support the weight.

Their origins are Sassanid domes which resemble them to a much greater extent than Roman ones.

Ah thanks, I learned something today.
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by jayeshks

.  The whole structure of the Taj (simple outside silhouette, intricate inside) is foreign to Hindu construction and I have trouble seeing how the Taj Mahal gets any of its character from a pre-existing structure.  

Yes the Taj Mahal is an Islamic Mausoleum, no question, but its not correct to say that it is foreign to Hindu construction completely.
The Mughals had been in India for a few centuries and so naturally assimilated Hindu culture. Mughal architecture from Akbar to Shah Jahan's time is a blend of Islamic/hindu elements. 
Shah Jahans mother and his father Jahangir's Mother were Hindu Rajputs, so obviously Rajput architecture was going to influence the Mughals.
The "chattris" on either side of the Taj Mahal Dome is an element of Hindu style of Architecture. Chattris actually means in sanskrit "umbrella".
Also with regards to your point about Domes, well they may not have been part of Hindu Architecture but were definitely used In Indian Buddhist design in the Stupas that held Buddhist relics. My point is that Domes did exist in India from around the second century BC.

Edited by Vedam - 05-Nov-2006 at 12:34
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 12:47
Originally posted by Vedam

Yes the Taj Mahal is an Islamic Mausoleum, no question, but its not correct to say that it is foreign to Hindu construction completely.
The Mughals had been in India for a few centuries and so naturally assimilated Hindu culture. Mughal architecture from Akbar to Shah Jahan's time is a blend of Islamic/hindu elements. 
Shah Jahans mother and his father Jahangir's Mother were Hindu Rajputs, so obviously Rajput architecture was going to influence the Mughals.
The "chattris" on either side of the Taj Mahal Dome is an element of Hindu style of Architecture. Chattris actually means in sanskrit "umbrella".

I don't disagree. That's the beauty of Mughal architecture, that it combines classical Persian forms with local Hindu elements making it unique.

Also with regards to your point about Domes, well they may not have been part of Hindu Architecture but were definitely used In Indian Buddhist design in the Stupas that held Buddhist relics. My point is that Domes did exist in India from around the second century BC.

Stupas weren't true domes though, they were either carved out of rock or partially or completely filled in mounds.  The outside shape is similar, but structurally it's very different. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 00:13
Originally posted by Zagros

Spoken like a true Hindutva chauvinist.

Off course, A muslim chauvinist deserves an equivalent hindu chauvinist.

PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 00:16
Originally posted by AP Singh

[QUOTE=Vivek Sharma] Taj mahal was not built by Shah Jahan. It was an old palace complex, belonging to the King of Jaipur and just modified by Shah Jahan.html

Hi Vivek,
King of Jaipur was salve king of Mughals. Hence every thing which the Raja of Jai Pur had belonged to his overlords, the Mughals. He was also given the Alwar which was ruled by Bad Gujjars earlier and Ranthambor to rule which was ruled by Gujjars of Chauhan gotra earlier. It does not mean that both these places belong to him but he was ruling these places on behalf of his overlords, the Mughals.

The actual site was where Taj Mahal is made is Shiva tepmle and big garden made by Gujjars Partihar Emperor Samrat Mihir Bhoj Mahan. There are many places in India like Delhi founded by Gujjar Tanwars and was named Mihirawli (Meharauli) and Bhopal (Founded by Gujjar parmars named after him as Bhoj Pal. Both the Tanwars and Parmars were his fuedatory kings and have done so please their overlord, the Gujjar Samrat Mihir Bhoj Mahan.
About tajmahal Here is the authentic details of my claim.

[http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/modern/godbole_taj2

1872-73
Archaeological Survey of India Report for the Year 1871-72 was prepared by M/s Beglar ( on Delhi ) and Carllyle (on Agra ) In volume II Mr Carlleyle tells us :

p 4 " ... Again as bearing on the other side of the argument I have now to mention that, on the right bank of the river about three miles above the fort, there is the site of an ancient garden palace called the garden and palace of Raja Bhoj! Certain intelligent educated Hindus in Agra say that it is traditionally held to have been a palace of Raja Bhoj of Malwa of the fifth to sixth century; but at any rate all agree as to the fact that this garden palace of Raja Bhoj was in existence previous to the Muhammadan conquest of this part of the country.

This is the correct account of the history of Taj Mahal.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 00:19
Originally posted by mard

i still can't beleive some people claim taj mahal is a hindu temple.

It is not now. It was before forcible conversion, like the thousands of others which all exist today & display tales of conversion.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 02:13
You can't foribly convert a building Vivek.

It is very possibly that the site of the Taj Mahal was once the site of a previous building. This doesn't mean that the later building is 'nicked' from the earlier one. Things get built on top of other things. There is, according to APSinghs post, 1000 years between Raja Bhoj's gardens and the Taj. I ask you Vivek, how many building last 1000 years? Very few. How many buildings are built on land that had a building on it 1000 years ago? Much more!

I would appreciate if you gave credit where credit's due instead of trying to claim everything for your own ethnic group.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 03:05
That temple palace complex was occupied & off the present size, when it was forcibly taken & converted into what it is today.
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 03:40
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

You can't foribly convert a building Vivek.It is very possibly that the site of the Taj Mahal was once the site of a previous building. This doesn't mean that the later building is 'nicked' from the earlier one. Things get built on top of other things. There is, according to APSinghs post, 1000 years between Raja Bhoj's gardens and the Taj. I ask you Vivek, how many building last 1000 years? Very few. How many buildings are built on land that had a building on it 1000 years ago? Much more!I would appreciate if you gave credit where credit's due instead of trying to claim everything for your own ethnic group.

Hi Omar,
Before writing anything here I do a lot of reaseach and take a lot of pain to write the truth and gather lot of evidences in support of my claim.

There was a extensive research work done and a report was prepared based on findings and the facts were prepared by the BBC in thi sregard and I have the pictures taken by them with me to prove that it was a shiva temple but unfortunately I am not able to cut and paste those pictures here.These pictures are sent to me by a friend and are in JPG format. These reports shows that it was a refurbishing work done on the existing Shiva Temple. In these pictures certain things were hidden by the newly created wall but certain things like the OM! written by engraved flowers are still present.

I also have the pictures taken by NASA of a bridge constructed by Rama between Rameshwaram and Sri Lanka to attack the Ravana.There are other temples also which are more than 1000 years old which still do exist.

Sahajahan has built one memorial at Burhan Pur where Mumtaz Mahal died and buried which is nothing compared to even the Lodi tombs built by Lodi Sultan in Delhi.Logically he should have selected Burhan Pur to build a memorial but unfortunately there was no building available in Burhan Pur where he could have erected the Memorial without doing much work.Also as written by Vedam there is no Vedic architecture used at the memorial erected at Burhan pur where the Mumtaj was buried.

The kingdom of Gurjar Samrat Mihir Bhoj Mahan, who built the Shiva Temple and the big Garden at Agra was much bigger than the Mughals and the size of his army as stated by Abu Ziad an arab scholar was 80 Lakhs. The size of the Mughal army at the time of Akbar was only 40 Lakhs. Moreover Mihir Bhoj Mahan sucessfully kept away the Muslim invaders from Sindh Border, Wiped out the race of Huns in India and got them assimilated among the Gujjars, extended his kingdom to Dhaka in the east and Kerals in the South by completely wiping out the Palas and Rashtrakutas.

Edited by AP Singh - 06-Nov-2006 at 05:57
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 06:08
That cruel guy did not do anything for Mumtaz when she was alive, why would he build a taz for her after she died. He was much closer to Jahanara begum.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 06:09
It was just an excuse for him to annexe that temple palace complex.
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 06:11
Originally posted by Vedam

Originally posted by jayeshks

. The whole structure of the Taj (simple outside silhouette, intricate inside) is foreign to Hindu construction and I have trouble seeing how the Taj Mahal gets any of its character from a pre-existing structure.

Yes the Taj Mahal is an IslamicMausoleum, no question,but its not correct to say that it is foreign to Hindu construction completely.

The Mughals had been in India for a few centuries and so naturallyassimilatedHindu culture. Mughal architecture from Akbar to Shah Jahan's timeis a blend of Islamic/hindu elements.

Shah Jahans mother and hisfatherJahangir's Mother were Hindu Rajputs, so obviously Rajput architecture was going to influence the Mughals.

The "chattris" on either side of the Taj MahalDome is an element ofHindu style of Architecture. Chattris actually means in sanskrit "umbrella".

Also with regards to your point aboutDomes, well they may not have been part of Hindu Architecture but were definitely used In Indian Buddhist design in the Stupas that held Buddhist relics. My point is that Domes did exist in India from around the second century BC.

Hi Vedam,
Probably you must have have been very closely associated with these Rajput relatives of Mughals and I can not challenge your knowledge about the subject related to them. There are many such false stories of this kind can be found in the poems written by their bards but without any authentic evidence and without any logic to support and are not trusted. I would like to ask you why these Chattris and Hindu Architecture taken by Mughals from their mother's side and not used at all in other Buildings like Lal Kila in Delhi and a Memorial of Mumtaz Mahal built by Shaha jajan at Burhan Pur where Mumtaz actually died and was buried.

AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 06:21
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Hi vivek,
You know how akbar died? Though it look strange that when the Raja of Jaipur was his slave king he really did not need any excuse but these Mughals were diplomatic.

Col Todd. has written that Akbar wanted to get rid off Raja jai Singh of Jaipur who served him all through his life. So he got prepared two Pans (I dont know the english word for it), one with poison for Jai Singh, his brother in law, but by mistake Akber himself ate the pan which was mixed with poison and died. In this case also there was no need for him to get him killed in this manner but he wanted to ramain a good person in history books and at the same time wanted to get rid of Jai Singh by dubious means.

jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 14:35

Hi Omar,
Before writing anything here I do a lot of reaseach and take a lot of pain to write the truth and gather lot of evidences in support of my claim.

There was a extensive research work done and a report was prepared based on findings and the facts were prepared by the BBC in thi sregard and I have the pictures taken by them with me to prove that it was a shiva temple but unfortunately I am not able to cut and paste those pictures here.These pictures are sent to me by a friend and are in JPG format. These reports shows that it was a refurbishing work done on the existing Shiva Temple. In these pictures certain things were hidden by the newly created wall but certain things like the OM! written by engraved flowers are still present.

Could you give some links or sources AP.  That would really help the debate.  I don't think anyone is denying that there could have been a pre-existing structure on the Taj's current site, but the point is that you can' t just 'refurbish'  a Shiva temple and end up with that.  No Hindu temple looks like the Taj Mahal, from Mauryan times to present day, from India to Indonesia. 

Sahajahan has built one memorial at Burhan Pur where Mumtaz Mahal died and buried which is nothing compared to even the Lodi tombs built by Lodi Sultan in Delhi.Logically he should have selected Burhan Pur to build a memorial but unfortunately there was no building available in Burhan Pur where he could have erected the Memorial without doing much work.Also as written by Vedam there is no Vedic architecture used at the memorial erected at Burhan pur where the Mumtaj was buried.

Regardless of what was or wasn't at Burhanpur.  Hindu motifs like the upturned lotus were on the tomb of Sher Shah Suri built a century (!) before the Taj.  Well before Shah Jahan came into the picture, Hindu and Muslim architectural forms (not unlike other cultural commodities) were being intermixed on the subcontinent. 

Edited by jayeshks - 06-Nov-2006 at 14:36
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 15:02

.Also as written by Vedam there is no Vedic architecture used at the memorial erected at Burhan pur where the Mumtaj was buried. 

I NEVER said any such thing,  you say you do a lot of research to write the truth. I advise to be careful before you mis-quote others
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 15:09

Hi Vedam,
Probably you must have have been very closely associated with these Rajput relatives of Mughals and I can not challenge your knowledge about the subject related to them. There are many such false stories of this kind can be found in the poems written by their bards but without any authentic evidence and without any logic to support and are not trusted. I would like to ask you why these Chattris and Hindu Architecture taken by Mughals from their mother's side and not used at all in other Buildings like Lal Kila in Delhi and a Memorial of Mumtaz Mahal built by Shaha jajan at Burhan Pur where Mumtaz actually died and was buried.

"Probably......" So not only are you putting words in my mouth (see post above) but you also seem to be very presumptuous.
To answer your question no i am not closely associated with these Rajput relatives of Mughals, and i am not from the Bard community.
If anything by the name that you choose to call yourself  i would say you wish to proclaim you are closely  associated to these Rajput relatives of Mughals

Edited by Vedam - 06-Nov-2006 at 15:49
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 00:09
the Tejo Mahalaya complex was a temple - palace complex around the centuries old temple of Agreshwar Mahadev, the ruling diety of Agra. It's use as a palace also, explainst a lot of the architecture elements.
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 05:04

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Hi vivek,
You know how akbar died? Though it look strange that when the Raja of Jaipur was his slave king he really did not need any excuse but these Mughals were diplomatic.

Col Todd. has written that Akbar wanted to get rid off Raja jai Singh of Jaipur who served him all through his life. So he got prepared two Pans (I dont know the english word for it), one with poison for Jai Singh, his brother in law, but by mistake Akber himself ate the pan which was mixed with poison and died. In this case also there was no need for him to get him killed in this manner but he wanted to ramain a good person in history books and at the same time wanted to get rid of Jai Singh by dubious means.

There was a BBC documentary nad I would request Viven to help me in this regards.
If you have your personal mail ID I can send those conclusive evidences to you since I am unable to Cut/paste the same here here but it can be forwared on a mail address.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>