Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Genghis Khan worse than Hitler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genghis Khan worse than Hitler
    Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 04:53
In my never ending campaign to besmirch the name of that angelic Mongol leader I just listened to this great podcast.

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

Dan Carling is my favourite historian, he makes it come alive with a passion and intesity devoid in other author, his account of the Eastern front in WWII is one the finest pieces of history produced in recent years. 

Here he turns his wrath of modern revisionist historians who paint Genghis Khan as anything other than the one dimensional butcher he was.

Edited by Toltec - 15-Sep-2012 at 04:57
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Ruslan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ruslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2012 at 07:27
the difference is, Genghis Khan SUCCESSED and Hitler LOST

heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 02:32
History cannot judge the 2 in the same manner.  Jenghis Khan came from the steppe nomad culture where warfare and killing is the mode of life, whereas Hitler came from a high culture where life should have been valued.  Jenghis Khan would not consciously know what he did was crime to humanity whereas Hitler should know
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 07:44
You only grant two contexts, look at things in the context of Hitler's time and look at things in the context of Genghis's, but you forget there are three people in this situation, Genghis, Hitler and me, so there is a third context, look at things in the context of my time. In the context of my time Genghis was an animal.

History Planet Website
<br /
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 12:08
Yes, but to judge a historical person out of his on context and in the context of other ime and mores is a not very hsitoricl approach.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 13:55
As my attack is on modern views of him not ones from his time, I would suggest it is in context of the time. 

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 19:36
Originally posted by heyamigos

History cannot judge the 2 in the same manner.  Jenghis Khan came from the steppe nomad culture where warfare and killing is the mode of life, whereas Hitler came from a high culture where life should have been valued.  Jenghis Khan would not consciously know what he did was crime to humanity whereas Hitler should know

Germany was also an aggressive and warlike nation in the years leading up to WWII. They missed out when the older powers gobbled up Africa and Asia, so they sought to expand their living space at the expense of the Slavs
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ruslan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ruslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 08:32
let me tell you:

if you kill 1 person you are an offender

if you kill 100 people you are a hero!

if you kill 10000 people you are a king!

if you kill 10000000 people you are Genghis Khan!

Edited by Ruslan - 21-Sep-2012 at 08:33
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 15:44
Originally posted by Ruslan

let me tell you:

Stalin was 4 x as good as Genghis Khan then.

History Planet Website
<br /
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 15:48
Originally posted by Toltec

Originally posted by Ruslan

let me tell you:

Stalin was 4 x as good as Genghis Khan then.

If we use numbers alone...yup.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Alcebiades View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

suspended

Quote Alcebiades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 19:49
In terms of absolute deaths, the rank is:

1-) Chairman Mao - 60 million people
2-) Josef Stalin - 55 million people
3-) Adolf Hitler- 52 million people

Of course that Mao had a bigger base to work with, in terms of kill/total population Stalin wins(I think)
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2012 at 00:06
The Hitler figure is the total war dead military and civilian, from genocide alone the figure would be lower. The Mao figure includes famine caused by incompetence rather than design, again not genocide. Your Stalin number too includes the Ukrainian famine, never intended.

Edited by Toltec - 22-Sep-2012 at 00:10

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2012 at 21:53
Originally posted by Alcebiades

In terms of absolute deaths, the rank is:

1-) Chairman Mao - 60 million people
2-) Josef Stalin - 55 million people
3-) Adolf Hitler- 52 million people

Of course that Mao had a bigger base to work with, in terms of kill/total population Stalin wins(I think)

How many people is Genghis believed to have killed? Is it really as much as 10000000?
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2012 at 22:58
The atlas of death tolls ranks him at 40 million.

http://necrometrics.com/pre1700a.htm

History Planet Website
<br /
heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 06:10
Indirectly, he helped advanced Turkification of previously Indo-European (esp. Persian speaking regions).  Places like Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, northern parts of Afghanistan and Iran.  His armies often killed off a big portion of the Persian speakers in those lands and later his Turkic nomad allies would be rewarded to resettle those lands.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 21:33
Originally posted by Toltec

The atlas of death tolls ranks him at 40 million.

http://necrometrics.com/pre1700a.htm

Not that far behind Hitler and Stalin. It's even more remarkable given the pre-industrial medieval world Genghis lived in
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2013 at 00:03
Okay um from being a Mongolian and maybe having a biased thought yes chinggis khan was barbaric and yes he did kill a lot of people but he used many different great tactics he was a war chief commander and just saying that he is as brutal as hitler is a little to upfront don't you think I'm not saying either if them were good yes they did have some bad sides and good maybe do a little bit more research before being that upfront
Undra View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Undra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2013 at 18:45
That is very true. Clap
Undra
Undra View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Undra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2013 at 18:50
Chinggis Khan was a nomadic leader who wanted to make Mongolia a glorious country. He had a nomadic life where killing was a kind of a normal way of conquering. But Hitler - he had a modern life where a life was valued - but he killed the innocent people. Hitler is infinitely vicious than Chinggis Khan. C.Khan killed the people who only wanted to fight against him. If they obeyed the simple task, they would have lived normally but with Mongolians owning the land.
Although they both have weaknesses, Hitler is way more vicious and worse than C.Khan. Surely you guys know that. 
Think logically people. Be smart.  Wink

Edited by Undra - 15-Nov-2013 at 18:53
Undra
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2013 at 23:44
And seeing as how there are 30 million direct descendants of his, he at least tried to balance it out.Star

In fact, some have wondered how he found the time to do the killing.Big smile

Edited by red clay - 15-Nov-2013 at 23:48
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>