Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

English language began in Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English language began in Turkey
    Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by Ollios

Sorry, if I am wrong. I have taken the words(Anna-Atta) from this web site
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/hitol-BF-X.html

There is no ancient dictionary, if you want to know the exact meaning of old Indo-European words, like Old Persian, Hittite or Ancient Greek, you should compare them, for example as you read here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D5%B0%D5%A1%D5%B6 Old Armenian Han means "grandmother", there could be also some loanwords in other old languages in that region, like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannahannah -> Hannahannah (from Hittite hannas "grandmother") is a Hurrian Mother Goddess.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 13:00
Hannahannah - I suppose like in Pidjin English the effect of the word is doubled if it's repeated - so it would be lie the grandmother of all - a true Mother Goddess! Thank you for this info, Cyrus.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 20:16
As in the Sumerian mother goddess Inanna (also known as Ishtar)
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 04:45
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

medenaywe, words and their meanings change through time, "Nana" is a modern Persian word, in the Middle and Old Persian this word was probably more similar to "Hanna", there could be also several different reasons that people create the words, for example someone can say "Na" means "mother" and "Nana" means "mother's mother" (grandmother).

as iranian turkmen i say this not true persians dont have nana word at all its turkish word they call mother madar and father pedar grandmother madarbozorg grand father perdarbozorg so where is nana in modern persian ? it is tukish u know it better than me ! turkmens call there fahter dada and mother nana (enne atta) grand parents from mother side is baba (bava) and mama and from my father side is kaka(grandfather) and ejea (grandmother) plz dont do this again
yomud are free people
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 07:15
Originally posted by yomud

medenaywe, words and their meanings change through time, "Nana" is a modern Persian word, in the Middle and Old Persian this word was probably more similar to "Hanna", there could be also several different reasons that people create the words, for example someone can say "Na" means "mother" and "Nana" means "mother's mother" (grandmother).

as iranian turkmen i say this not true persians dont have nana word at all its turkish word they call mother madar and father pedar grandmother madarbozorg grand father perdarbozorg so where is nana in modern persian ? it is tukish u know it better than me ! turkmens call there fahter dada and mother nana (enne atta) grand parents from mother side is baba (bava) and mama and from my father side is kaka(grandfather) and ejea (grandmother) plz dont do this again

In my dialect of Kurmanji Kurdish we use the word Kake for father and grandfather.  Also Atte is also used for mother by some as well.    The speakers of my dialect are Alevis, I suspect it might be a Turkish influence.  But never heard Turks in Turkey use Kake for father or grandfather. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 07:36
Kake does sound similar to Dada, Papa and Father
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 08:10

There are certainly numerous Turkic words in the modern Persian language and for this reason some people use the word "Nana" for "mother" but I don't talk about modern Persian, according to my Persian dictionary, "Nana" means "grandmother" from its Persian origin, the Persian word "Ania" (Nia/Niakan) which means "ancestor" has the same origin, it has an Indo-European root, like Armenian "Han" (grandmother), German "Ahn" (ancestor), Old Prussian "Ane" (mother-in-law), ...
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 11:03
I think the word for mother and father developed from more or less the same base but seperately around the world. ma-ma and pa-pa are the most easily to say words for a human being. I guess its more of a coincidence that the same forms exists far from each other.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 12:22
How much consideration has been given to the use of latin with the spread of words like mother and father....etc....?
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 12:30
Originally posted by Ince

In my dialect of Kurmanji Kurdish we use the word Kake for father and grandfather.  Also Atte is also used for mother by some as well.    The speakers of my dialect are Alevis, I suspect it might be a Turkish influence.  But never heard Turks in Turkey use Kake for father or grandfather. 

im not from turkey Smile i live in gonbad kavus ( old gorgan ) and im iranian . where do u live ? dyarbak ? iraq ? and atta means father like other tukish languge
yomud are free people
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 18:29

Originally posted by Ince

im not from turkey Smile i live in gonbad kavus ( old gorgan ) and im iranian . where do u live ? dyarbak ? iraq ? and atta means father like other tukish languge

I am from Malatya,Turkey.   Atte is used for Mother in my dialect of Kurdish but only by some and Alek as well by some also used is the most common Kurdish word for mother Daye.  

For father we use Bave/Bawe and also Kake/Kako.  I have only ever heard people of dialect use Kake/Kako for father.  If it is used by Turkmens then it is very likely came from Turkic influence.

Most Kurdish dialects have abandonded the Iranic root for mother and father for some reason and adopted words like Daye and Bawe where as the Iranic rooted are Mader and Peder which Persian has retained.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 19:20
ince if we use this as it doesn't mean that's not kurdish remember this ! nana in german means mother so in your view this is not germanic ? or mother use by so many people no one can say these are yours and that is mine !Wink
yomud are free people
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 20:15
these words are commin wtih turkmens and germens and english or some european

turkmen             german    english    italiyan     persian    istanbul turkish     tabriz turkish

pomozor            Pflaume    plum       pomozor    goje           erik                        gavalı
kertob/kortob  
Kartoffel    Potato     patata      sibzamini    patates          yeralma(commen in all tr )
bulut                Wolke        Cloud       nuvola      abr             bulut                    bulut
eth/es/iys/iyth   
Geruch      smell       odore         bu              koku                   iy
alma                   
Apfel      Apple       mela          siyb            alma                     alma

yomud are free people
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 20:23
in swedish they use plommon  for plum and for Cloud for cloud and apple for apple 
yomud are free people
Qaradag View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qaradag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2012 at 03:15

Your Turkmen-Sahra Türkmen? Very nice to have you on board. Wink

In Azeri Turkish its as following: Ata for father, Ana for mother, Baba/Dədə for grandfather and Nənə/Qarınənə for grandmother.

Edited by Qaradag - 06-Oct-2012 at 03:24
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2012 at 07:40
Originally posted by Qaradag

Your Turkmen-Sahra Türkmen? Very nice to have you on board. Wink

In Azeri Turkish its as following: Ata for father, Ana for mother, Baba/Dədə for grandfather and Nənə/Qarınənə for grandmother.

tnx my friend (sagh bul kardeshim ) :D qarinanan ! qarin is very similar to grand

yomud are free people
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12