Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

English language began in Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English language began in Turkey
    Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 10:46
Press Association – 15 hours ago
  • A map shows the distribution of words across Europe for mother (Quentin Atkinson/PA)

Press Association - A map shows the distribution of words across Europe for 'mother' (Quentin Atkinson/PA)

English is descended from a language that emerged in Turkey 8,000 and 9,500 years ago, new research has suggested.

Scientists traced the origin of all Indo-European languages to Anatolia, an ancient region of western Asia which covers most of modern Turkey.

Indo-European languages span a wide linguistic spectrum including English, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Persian, Hindi and ancient Greek.

All evolved from a common ancestor, scientists believe.

Experts think Indo-European languages spread out from the Middle East along with agriculture.

Scientists led by Remco Bouckaert, from the University of Auckland in New Zealand, traced the origins of Indo-European languages using a method borrowed from evolutionary biologists.

Instead of comparing DNA from different species, the researchers looked at "cognates" which are words with a common origin. One example is "mother", "mutter" (German) and "madre" (Spanish).

Such similar words could not plausibly have occurred by chance. By modelling the evolution of hundreds of such words through time, the researchers were able to pinpoint their birthplace in what is now modern Turkey.

The research is published in the journal Science.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/english-language-began-turkey-180502182.html
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 13:27
Did they read Origins Nick?!?SmileExcellent link you have!Regards... 
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 13:48
Thai for mother is mai, same in Lao, Chinese is muquin, Vietnamese me or ma, me in Burmese, according to this theory then they originated in Turkey too.

Archaeology has pointed out for a long long time that the British migrated across Europe, entering Europe from Turkey, however before that they were in Khazakstan and Russia, why this theory singles out Turkey is a mystery.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 16:03
"Post-Classical Middle East" is not a proper forum for this subject, it doesn't talk about just English but all Indo-European languages, and it is not about modern Turkey but ancient Anatolia. I had talked about it in this thread: Ancient Anatolia, Original Land of Indo-Europeans!

And above map doesn't just show the distribution of words  for "mother" across Europe but a large part of Eurasia where Indo-European speakers live. It should be mentioned that "mother" (from proto-IE mater) differs from "mamma" or other similar words, everyone knows that "ma" is among the first words babies learn to speak, so "moma","ma", ... in that map don't relate to other Indo-European words.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 24-Aug-2012 at 16:04
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 16:30
Mo-ther has Goddess first syllable Cyrus.In other languages,they prefer Ma=support/supportive/supports...
I can talk about language only but not about who came from where.Demotic language structures got them
all.Origins talk about that we share same syllables from Ancient "Egyptian"&"Greek" as we use to call those civilizations.Mo=Womb/Womby/verb?(births/nests/?)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 19:08
Could all these words for mother or Ma-Ma have simply been derived from baby-talk?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 23:40
I can not trace their origin but possibilities exist.All words started as Onomatopoeia of human&natural voices.....Next step could be:order them by predefined rules.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 00:28
It is awsome. One word(mother) but hundred variation. That reminds me a myth. According to Herodotus, the first language is Phrygian language. 

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 02:02
So, if that is true, then the Afro-Asiatic and Indo-Europeand are connected, and the Nostratic Hypothesis is right. Which is an interesting thought, because the Nostratic has been villified for some time now. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:03
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 09:20
I wonder that why mother word in Hittite language (anna) so different? It is a Indo-European language. I suppose that, Hittite culture was a bridge culture between Europe and Iran-India.

English     Hittite      Turkish
Mother      Anna     Ana/Anne
Father       Atta           Ata

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 09:31
It is Hindu of that time or some of ancient Hindu dialects as it looks now...Turkish today is full of Egyptian&also others(Hindu?) elements.During my travel in Istanbul I asked my Hosts to talk among themselves on Turkish only and I listened them...Turkey is place where civilizations have met long time ago and exchanged all they have including languages...SmileTurkish today has all voices of ancient Egyptian except "C'.All voices that "Slavic" today use are voices in Turkish+C...

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 10:04
Originally posted by Ollios

I wonder that why mother word in Hittite language (anna) so different? It is a Indo-European language. I suppose that, Hittite culture was a bridge culture between Europe and Iran-India.

The Hittite word "Anna" (Hanna) actually meant "grandmother, ancestor", Persian "nana" means the same, there are also Old Greek "Anon", Latin "Anus", German "Ahn", Armenian "Han", ... Lithuanian "Anita" (mother-in-law) and English "Aunt" have the same Indo-European origin too.

And the Hittite word for "father" is "Tata", the same word is used in all other Indo-Eureopan languages, such as Latin, Greek, Sanskrit and all Slavic, Celtic and Baltic languages. There should be a "t" to "d" sound change in the Germanic language, so there is "daddy" in English.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 10:16
NaNa we use also for Grand Ma...In Serbo-Croation nana is still in usage but syllables are "Egyptian&Greek"
NaNa=Offering offer...Nobody can deny it till she offers candies!Smile Also NaNu exists:Offering beginning which is more than obvious cause She is mother of your Mother or Father...Regards Cyrus...
P.S.
In Demotic it is NaNNu=Offers to Mother's beginning/start
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 15:17
medenaywe, words and their meanings change through time, "Nana" is a modern Persian word, in the Middle and Old Persian this word was probably more similar to "Hanna", there could be also several different reasons that people create the words, for example someone can say "Na" means "mother" and "Nana" means "mother's mother" (grandmother).
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 16:12
Cause I am still not officially recognized source can go with it.SmileRegards Cyrus.
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 03:19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_theory
As per this article back in 6000 BC, Black Sea was fresh water lake and it looks as if Northern Turkey and Southern Ukraine were contiguous geographical regions.

#My Opinion

I believe that proto-Indo-European people were settled all across Black Sea (back then when it was a fresh water lake). Those who were living on the western and Southern shores of Black Sea emerged as centum-language speakers and those who were inhabiting Northern shores emerged as satem-language speakers.

And probably the Eastern shore of the Black Sea was inhabited by speakers of Caucasian Languages.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 09:25
If the theory is true then it can be said Kurds are the only Indo-European people who still live in the original land, and Old Persian, Armenian and Greek were probably the closest languages to the original language.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 09:54
It looks very rational your statement now Cyrus!We spoke similar or the same once?!?Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 27-Aug-2012 at 12:35
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 07:37
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Originally posted by Ollios

The Hittite word "Anna" (Hanna) actually meant "grandmother, ancestor", Persian "nana" means the same, there are also Old Greek "Anon", Latin "Anus", German "Ahn", Armenian "Han", ... Lithuanian "Anita" (mother-in-law) and English "Aunt" have the same Indo-European origin too.

And the Hittite word for "father" is "Tata", the same word is used in all other Indo-Eureopan languages, such as Latin, Greek, Sanskrit and all Slavic, Celtic and Baltic languages. There should be a "t" to "d" sound change in the Germanic language, so there is "daddy" in English.

Sorry, if I am wrong. I have taken the words(Anna-Atta) from this web site
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/hitol-BF-X.html
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>